Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros:
  • "Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives"
    in 25 reviews
  • "It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals"
    in 46 reviews
  • "You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unreasonable Expectations

Community Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing good to say about this company unless you think being over worked and under paid is a good thing.

ConsLazy district manager. Ditrict Sales manager was a crook. Company would adjust policies if you were doing to good and making a bonus. They forgot to pay me for all of my hours more than once.

You will drink the Kool Aid

Community Manager (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsThe residents. So many wonderful folks who just want some time, respect and attention. The give back so much more if you let them.

ConsThis is the most screwed up company in America. We worked for them for over three years in multiple locations; we received every award for top management results, sales, etc. For a long time I thought Jack Callison, CEO was the problem. He was A problem but with the CEOs that followed him it is no better now. Holiday has such potential to be a great company, but there is no chance it will happen. The culture is too sick. Like a medical patient who crosses that finite line when there is no coming back. This company should be sold and the management gutted. The business has great potential but no future underj the present system. I don't know of any large company that has the employee turnover Holiday is famous for. They are ALWAYS HIRING! -- yet NEVER fully staffed. Therein lies the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your resume' polished up. Take the calls from recruiters. Fortress will not be asleep forever.

The 40 year old "model" no longer works - it is 2014

Community Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere really aren't any... The cons negate any pros that you might think there are.

ConsYou are managing to a 40 year old budget/financial model that is far beyond it's time. To think for one minute that in todays economy people will arrive for 2 hour shifts and be paid $18.00 prior to taxes in incomprehensible. The model no longer works - Kai - utilize some of the talent that you have out there in your management teams move forward to 2014. Get rid of the RSL's - they are glorified admin assistants absorbing dollars that could be used on-site. If your leads are going to be managed by AMD's then have them direct report to them - the RD's basically have no contact with the leads... 18 minutes over 8 weeks is pathetic-money is being wasted...Managers and comanagers have no life - co managers apt off the main dining room??? Managers have a bedroom wall that is shared with the office??? Let's get with the tmes...

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the entire model - eliminate RSLs - have leads report to AMD's - could probably get rid of RDs as they basically serve no purpose...

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you like being micromanaged to the point of anxiety, then this is the job for you!

Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsServing the Senior Population. The residents and prospective residents you work with.

ConsMicromanagement. Unrealistic expectations. Poor direction from upper management. High turnover. Corporate is bipolar.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide the "Holiday Touch" to your employees. Value them. Value the benefit of employee retention. You lose good employees by the way you treat your employees. The constant "restructuring" and micromanaging is belittling to your employees. Also, consider your pricing. Not every market is the same. Your smaller markets should not have the same requirement expectations as your larger metropolitan areas. Be realistic.

All the positive reviews are from damage control in Salem..., thewir Head Office.

PM Chef (Current Employee)
    Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

ProsThere really isnt any, cause tha cons are so overwhellming you cant notice the positives.

ConsI have noticed after working there for 7 years, seeing change of ownership 2 times, the company is on a down hill spiral, flaming out of control. Carlson sold the company and since then its been all about money and move ins.
    They collect 1000s of dollars a year from the seniors on a fixed income, they dont even send condolences to the family when the client passes. No compasion. No heart. No feelings. Typical Corporate America.

Advice to Senior Managementtake the soother out of your mouths and put on your big boy pants and and be responsable to the client, not the bank. And who ever this CITY is, please, really. Thats messed , lol

Growing company with great values

ProsThe company is making major changes that positively impact the employee and residents. They have surveyed both employees and residents to find ways to make improvements. Some recent positive changes:

1. New senior leadership that is committed to making a positive difference in employee and residents lives.
    2. New rewards and recognition programs that are providing cash and certificates to the front line employees.
    3. Active campaigns to give back to veterans and local communities both in money and volunteer time.
    4. Increased facility improvement budgets.
    5. Pay and benefits are great.
    6. Over the last year communications have improved. We hear a lot more about what is going on in the company.

Additionally, the company is growing, stable, and in the right demographic for the future. If you like connecting with people, love customer service, and are not afraid of hard work the communities are a great place. Holiday is making a difference for thousands of individuals everyday.

ConsThe company like many companies during the recession had to put a larger focus on sales. This is changing as the company now has high occupancy. The community manager and sales roles are hard positions. Those dedicated to the residents will find the rewards, but those in it just for a job will struggle. Many negative reviews are from people who were not successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the cultural changes. In the last year there have been a lot of positive changes.

Sucks the life out of you

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWorking around the wonderful residents. They provide housing for management team so you can save some money.

ConsSome residents can be very mean, you are pushed to the end of your ability and that's still not enough all the while it is made clear to you that you can be replaced. Total secrecy on matters that are important to you. General air of pitting one against the other while singing the "team spirit song". Unbearably long hours but since managers are "salaried" you get no overtime and have to cover for others that are hourly so there is no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the basics of how Holiday was founded. Appreciate your employees and your residents.

Run..the job is all about money and not the people as they say it is!

Community Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with Seniors and developing life long relationships

ConsUpper management screaming at you. They have no clue!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at all of the good people you have lost..hmm..it cannot possibly all of us with the problem

Upper Management Cold As Ice

Community Manager (Current Employee)

ProsResidents are WONDERFUL!! :). I enjoy making an impact with residents. THe concept; housekeeping, meals and transportation is excellent concept; Building relationship with the residents is the best!

ConsUpper management is carsy sales people, fake, phoney and immature. Upper Management is micromanagement; rather then guide and believe in who they hire, they constant be-little the managers, staff and residents. They beef up and wow a tourist, though when they get the sale and bring the resident in, they could care less for them. As community Manger, I try to do best for residents, but constant pestering about calls, conferences and emails it can be difficult; Upper management and ALL training is based on 95% Sales and 5 % Operations. Way backwards of a professional company. They got it all backwards--if no change soon-the company will fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is potential if you start to care about who you hire. Focus more time on operations-believe, encourage the people you hire. Staff is number one key to successful business; focus on quality of operations; QUALITY of FOOD-Beef it up, and sales will follow. Talk to CEO to get carsy salesy people out and bring in kind, mature compassionate managers and you'll see a positive turnaround. There are good healthy people out there they'd love a management position.

Worst company I've worked for in 30 years--micromanagement at its worst!

Community Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsI love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors. It's a nice product and good value. Good health plan.

ConsAs a sales professional with degrees and years of health care experience, I've never been treated so poorly. You spend 1/4 of the day telling three supervisors the same thing. There are one-on-one coaching calls, reporting calls, a model of selling that sometimes make me feel like I'm in the used car business. Supervisors think they have all the answers. But the bottom line is family and residents make up their mind in their own time, not Holiday time. Difficult to take holidays off when you work in a community. Lots of management turnover and personality issues. Employees are not value and respected even though we all give the best to our residents.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and value your employees. It's good business sense and reducing turnover saves money. Employees feel so little value--even lead community managers and co-managers. Sales leaders are monitored and beaten up on a consistent basis. Many managers are leaving for career with Hawthorne because they feel the old Holiday management run a more effective organization. In my entire 30 year career, I've never worked so many hours for so little pay. Commissions were reduced in company's favor. How are employees ever going to feel valued? The company is nothing without its managers and staff.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!

Holiday Retirement Videos

Holiday Retirement – Why Work for Us?

​​A pioneer then, a leader now​​ When we founded Holiday Retirement in 1971, we set out to create an independent retirement lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before -- cheerful communities filled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Retirement reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao. All 365 reviews posted anonymously by Holiday Retirement employees.