Holiday Retirement Reviews

461 reviews filtered by
2.0
Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Very rewarding work

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent processes, very well managed, great work environment

Cons

Very physically demanding. Must pour coffee, clean up messes, wash dishes, fill in when ever someone is out. Not a typical community management job.
    Lots of turnover in senior management.
    No advancement opportunities do not hire from within.

Love the open communication with the president... has a email that you can ask him any question.
    May be helpful to make the community management job less physical and more focus on the overall picture.
    Have a path of hiring from within, would really build moral and may decrease turnover.

Mar 4, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working for Holiday. It is no small task to be a community manager, and we appreciate your hard work. Your feedback about improving the ... More

2. Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Working with wonderful seniors helping change their lives

Cons

Long hours. Lack of support from upper management. Managers that lie and miss treat residents. Constant change of pay structure

listen to your employees. Visit the communities more that once every 6 months.

Flex Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The only pro's about working as a Flex Manager is when your on an assignment you receive 3 free meals a day and a free small sparsely furnished apartment. ONLY when on an assignment.

Cons

The list of cons is pretty long.
    Flex Manager is a new position, we used to be called Floating Managers. As a Floating Manager we used to get overtime, get to travel all over the country and get paid for all travel, we received monthly bonuses and were allowed to turn down an assignment if it didn't fit our schedule or we didn't want to work in a specific community.
    The company recently changed this position. As a Flex Manager you are not allowed ANY overtime, we can only travel up to five hours away from our home, they took away our monthly bonuses and you must take any assignment at any community they assign you to.
    The only reason for this change is for the company to increase there profit margin.
    Meanwhile we Flex Managers lose about $1,000 a month in pay, and the company does not care. They act as if the changes are better for us. We don't see any positive change here, it's all about them saving money at our expense.
    Half the people in this position have already quit the company because we're basically being treated like dirt.

The company should have left the position the way it was, the only thing they succeeding in doing was forcing us to find another career. The only employees still in this position are only there until they can find another career with a company that is not totally profit driven, at the expense off its current employees.

current EC

Current Employee - Community EC
    Current Employee - Community EC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked for the company for almost 2 years as an enrichment coordinator and I adore my time with the residents! It is a gift to come to work everyday knowing that my job is to bring joy. And I am pretty good at it. The hours are pretty flexible which works well with a home life. I feel that for the job I do I get paid fairly well... though who doesn't want more?

Cons

Allowing the EC only 32 hours is ridiculous. My position is what keeps the back door closed. A family environment is promoted (and certainly what sells our community since the carpet is old, the paint is old, the furniture is old, and the higher ups have no interest in fixing it), but the salaried employees are so busy on conference calls, and sales that they don't have anytime at all to spend loving on these amazing people. What I do may seem superficial but I assure you it isn't. When I come in after two days off I am told I am never allowed to leave again. I end up having to hand off events and activities to residents and letting them get done at a substandard level to stay within my hours. None of which makes since to me since that extra 8 hours a week would not be much of an investment in the long run. The other con I have noticed is a micro managing regional management. If we have been given budgets why do we have to run every expenditure past the RD? I am perfectly capable of staying in a budget, and much time is wasted approving every 50 dollars I need to spend.

let up on the control. if you have hired a good team give themselves a chance to prove their worth. Realize that the "back door" is just as important as sales. If we manage to retain the happy residents then the building will stay full. There is no point pushing for sales and then making it impossible to keep the ones we have.

Commitment and High Energy Needed

Current Employee - Community Manager in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunity to serve seniors.

Cons

On call 24 hours, long hours, constant change to goals, company's expectations to meet sales calls while managing residents and daily tasks difficult. Asked almost to achieve the impossible.

Re-organize upper management structure allow more personnel for running the job site. Have less managers and add an office assistant/receptionist to answers phone etc. ie.

Mar 20, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We recognize your frustration and will look into ways to improve upon the suggestions you've provided. It's nice to hear you are taking ... More

7. Loved the job and the residents.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Working with the residents is fulfilling. It feels great to add to their enjoyment of life.

Cons

Upper management is chaotic, disorganized and have no focus.

Get someone that knows how to manage.

8. The more they change, the more they stay the same!

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Assisting seniors to enjoy their sunset years. Learning about our past from those that "were there" when it happened. Meeting many who effected our present way of life.

Cons

Still the same old "sales is the only thing that matters" attitude, despite what HR people say. They claim they are changing, but the posts I see today are the same as those of years past. Where are the improvements and how are staff and especially residents benefiting? Why do managers and c o-managers live a life of constant stress resulting in ridiculous turn-over numbers? What ever happened to the "3 Ps" we were all taught years ago? Where did the old "Holiday Touch" disappear to?

Go back to the old "Grass Roots" that this company was built on. Get rid of the sell, sell, sell promoters. Properly run, the sales will come...they always did before when staff and residents were proud and happy about where they lived and worked. 100% can happen without "paper juggling" if everything else is above-board!

Bogus 'Bonus Plan'

Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The residents. The various aspects of the job that allow you to learn. Making a difference. -

Cons

Working for a bonus that is paid out in the following month. Meaning - you do the work to secure the new leases, however, if you are not there when the bonus is paid out - your out of luck. Works totally in Holiday's favor as many of their policies do.

Pay the bonuses that your employees EARN. If an employee leaves on good terms with the company, why penalize them? The bonus plan is unfair and needs to be corrected.

It was very challenging.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The community is very nice. The residents were very nice as well. It was nice to go into a setting as such every day. The residents were a pleasure to be around and to support.

Cons

Property management was very unprofessional and difficult to work with. They had no respect for the sales force whatsoever. Regional support sided with management team at the property. I assumed they had no choice being that if this team happen to walk out it would be very hard to recovery with the resident being there in need of management services. The sales team never stand a chance of a secure position no matter how hard they work.

Regional need to stop being disloyal to their sales staff and give more support. Property management is getting away with a lot of abuse toward the sales force that has to work with them. Finding ways to be cut throat towards the sales team causes an unproductive environment.

Overwhelming, rewarding, exhausting and totally unrealistic!

Current Employee - Community Lead
    Current Employee - Community Lead

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (more than 5 years)

Pros

Residents, Associates and working with your spouse ! Gives you an opportunity to save for your retirement. However you will never be able to Live at a Holiday Community in your future !!. This has to be your committed Lifestyle ! Be willing to be their day in and day out for your Community. We love all the challenges and opportunity we have, but need a VACATION....

Cons

There is NO work life balance. When and IF you get time off you will be absolutely exhausted. Slave labor at best.
    You are an Exempt employee therefore 24/7 is a reality. As every Community is understaffed and FLEX managers are worthless.. as they only pour Coffee .. and have some slide the key under the door so they can have free time. While you have to stay available 24/7 to help protect your residents. Take the Salary divided by hours and you make 1/2 of minimum wage. But Federal Wage and Hour can not protect you. Sales Sales Sales.. while residents are moving out the back door because they can not get the attention they deserve....
    Our Communities are dated... can not get stained worn carpet replaced. It is very embarrassing to tour folks who say "what wrong with this flooring" .. it is too filthy for my MOM.
    A lot of NEW Competition arriving in our area ... we need to get with it and give our residents a HOME they can brag about and show off.. the Referrals will come. Instead if a referral folks at us and down the road they convince their friend to join them elsewhere , cleaner, updated 21st century...
    As the 70-80's boomers etc see even no Internet they laugh. So much needs improvement.. Mangers need RESPECT and more realistic hours and pay.

PLEASE Listen... have the RD's say more than " We are here to support you" .. but we can't. Our hands are tied.
    Run the business .... but not without MY Approval ! Work on a way to be certain Managers get their time OFF. We have been unable to have more than 2 days off at a time in 3+ Years. We earn VAC but a every time we plan to
    take a week... all hell breaks loose and it is canceled.

Mar 20, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to highlight all the positive benefits that Holiday provides to our associates. We work hard to make sure our employees are cared for the same way we care for our ... More

Holiday Retirement Photos