Holiday Retirement Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

A pitiful outfit - the bottom line is truly the bottom line

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Seattle, WA

Pros

Residents - they're wonderful people. That's why we all wanted to work there in the first place.

Cons

Where do I begin? I worked there for less than a year, and I quit with no other job lined up (first time EVER I've done that). Everyday I came home, I felt like I had to shower - it's just a dirty, disgusting place to work. It's not just my experience, but in touching base with my entire training class, it's the same stories, over and over and over. The corporate office says one thing, which is pure garbage of course, and then reality out in the field from one community to another community is a FAR different version. There's no work/life balance. Upper management has the same old management mentality. Micromanage! That's what incompetent managers to so they can try and save their butts to their supervisors. The problem is that the various layers of management are simply incompetent. They recruit out of the hotel industry for the management - STUPID MOVE YOU IDIOTS. The senior community industry is FAR different from the hotel industry. If you don't realize that, then you're dumber than I think - and trust me, I think you're REALLY dumb. The reason I quit is because I was pressured big time to move in anyone with a heartbeat. It didn't matter what level of care that they need. The RD would say 'we'll figure it out once they move in'. My God, how pathetic. I flat out told one family of a 90 year old retired engineer who was very frail and in no way should be living in an independent level of care community, that placing your Dad here would be a huge disservice to him. The only reason that they were considering it was because of cost of course. They ended up placing him in an AL, which was certainly a step in the right direction, and I told them that he may need a higher level of care than that. Well, management heard my story about that 'lead' and you know what hit the fan. I told them 'it was the right thing to do'. He was livid. I knew right then that I had to get the heck out. And please, don't think that this is an isolated case of this type of stuff going. I can promise you that it is the absolute truth and it's absolutely sickening and disgusting that companies would take advantage of seniors that are vulnerable like that just for the almighty $$.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to fool anyone. You keep on telling yourselves that this is not what the 'Holiday Touch' is. Ever since Colson sold in 2007 to 'The Fortress Investment Group'.....aka the greedy pigs of Wall St took over and it's been straight downhill. Either decide to actually 'walk the walk' and quit BS'ing everybody. The residents aren't stupid. They know what's going on. Unfortunately many of them are stuck staying there because they can't afford to move for one of several reasons. The only reason that I'm writing this is so that if anyone is considering interviewing with this company - real this and take it to heart. It's not just my opinion. Read the various feedbacks over numerous years by many different people in many different communities. If you want to take this offline, just let me know. But I know anyone from corporate who surfaces on this website, is drinking the Kool Aid of Holiday, so it'll be like banging my head against the wall. Just remember - you reap what you sow.

Aug 31, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

We strive to employ associates who are passionate and committed to serving seniors. It is our expectation that each associate can stand behind our product, services, and policies so that we can best ... More

Community sales leader

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Springdale, AR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and rewarding career. Lots of relationship building

Cons

Long hours and very stressful. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you want to go into regional sales management.

3. Co-Manager

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

Pros

Its not a job, its more than a career...it is more like a lifestyle choice. This is the most rewarding job I have ever had. Yes it is very very stressful at times, but once you get through it, (and you do) you quickly forget due to having fun and talking with the many residents. That stress just prepares you for the next round, and it makes it easier to handle gracefully and with tact. You get that free apartment, free food, and all utilities paid plus the bonuses

Cons

Long hours, midnight calls can lead to lack of sleep. Employees and residents alike testing your abilities in the beginning so they can see if they can get one over on you. On your days off you still get stopped in the hallways by residents who do now know you are off and still expect you to do something for them and then get angry when you tell them you are not working right now.

Advice to Management

Breathe, take it easy, count to ten if you are stressed so you dont say something you will regret. Just have fun learning, and on your days off please catch up on sleep, turn the e-call pager off and the phone ringer down, and get away for a day if you can.

Aug 21, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

What a great perspective on your experience. Holiday is a wonderful place to work that is both challenging and rewarding. Holiday is a great place for people looking for an altruistic career with a ... More

Not caring for seniors

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Emergency response for Residents, occasional good meals. Exteriors are inviting. Adequate parking, with some garages. Occasional caring EC and activities for Residents.

Cons

Not operational minded, totally use car Salesmen and hacks only worried about the next resident and how much they can get out of them. Then, hope they don t have to deal with them except to do an annual rate increase or another added fee. . Many are not really Independent living candidates . Turnovers, overworked understaffed. Only interested in the bottom line, not caring of the Residents needs and concerns.

Advice to Management

Don't expect to change upper level attitudes they could care less. Until they run out of candidates for CMT or Co's and keep having high turnovers they will never change. It s all about the money they( the upper level officers) get to keep. They don't respect their CMT or Residents but see them as stepping stones for their own egos and personal gain. This Company is one Law suit away from total collapse .

Jul 24, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

Over the last 40 years Holiday has been on an amazing journey, and we have continued to evolve from a family run business into a corporation lead by a talented, passionate, and diversified leadership ... More

CHEF

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great residents...freat families mislead by soldiers doing dirty work for management

Cons

EARS UP!!!...WORSE COMPANY EVER..CHEATS..CONS..SLAVE LABOR. THEY HAVE REGIONAL CHEFS THAT CAN'T BOIL WATER!!!! SHAME ON ALL YOU EXECUTIVES WHO ACCEPT BONUSES WHILE PEOPLE IN THE FIELD SUFFER...

Advice to Management

Come clean you criminals

Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great management, great benifits BCBS

Cons

High turnover poor shift hours

Advice to Management

Thanks for everything

8. Spring Haven Rating

Former Employee - Program Manager in Winter Haven, FL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Winter Haven, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will love the residents.

Cons

Not a pleasant environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Need to step it up

Good gone BAD

Current Employee - Community Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Original concept as implemented by the Colson's is still needed for the Senior populace. But, when greedy men and women enter the equation," good" easily turns "bad". With all the negative reports listed here and other places are ignored by the top leadership, you know its about the money and not the Seniors. Original concept was great!/ Interaction with Seniors Great.

Cons

As a CMT or CO you spend 80% + as a salesman. You have no freedom to meet the needs of residents or improve their situation. Why? Because, you are hounded, belittled,, talked about, put down, due to the RD's, SL's and COO, COS and other Chiefs loosing sight of the primary purpose, and concept of this Company's beginning. Their concern is totally focused on occupancy rates above 92% and the methods of getting and keeping them there. They hire bean counters with no management/people skills as RDs, SLs, District managers, and even at the top levels to push the party line at the expense of the people on the ground trying to keep the Seniors happy and satisfied. It gets to the point of why care? They are going to run it in the ground anyway, just so they ensure their bonus, golden parachute , or next position at another Company where they continue with the same old methods. What do they say about people who keep doing the same wrong thing over and over again expecting different results? Of course they and their mouthpieces will keep spouting the party line, and telling all that will listen how they are making a difference in the Senior Populace and like any big company they have problems but are working at change. The only change you will see as an CMT or COs is the next person that will replace you (sooner than later) because you can't take it anymore. Check out the turnover rates, they speak for themselves. If offered a position, don't take it. Run away as fast as possible. You will be happier at McDonalds as a manager for the same amount of pay with benefits and advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Separate the Sales process from the CMTs. Let the CMTs fulfill the Operational duties and Senior satisfaction concerns. Happy Seniors will do more for sales than your hard ball sales process.es. Hotel sales, used car sales and their techniques should not be used with Seniors, and the competition and demeaning techniques used by you now. Quit glorying and posting your monetary conquest of Seniors to everyone to see online, to beat others into doing at least the same. All in the name of greater profits and accolades for the Chiefs of shame that run this Company.

Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the residents to make their lives easier. You build wonderful relationships with the residents and they are your best advocates for new leads.

Cons

If you play the tattle-tale game, call employee relations and tell lies you can say-do anything gets good people terminated or they leave.

Advice to Management

Don't believe everything you hear- listen to the residents that live at your communities instead of talking so much.

Jul 27, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

Employee Relations takes all reports of misconduct seriously, and thoroughly and impartially investigates these claims. If misconduct is confirmed, Employee Relations shares the findings with the ... More

We didn't believe the bad reviews until we got there

Pros

The residents and the staff without a doubt! By far the most gratifying job we have ever had.

Cons

We watched the shift after the company went REIT. With each new policy something was taken from either the residents or the staff. Most telling was the "run to fail" policy as reasons to not replace or repair old, failing and unsafe equipment and fixtures. We were instructed to wait for the inevitable disaster to occur. May create short term profits, but it can't be good for long term reputation and satisfaction of staff and residents.

Advice to Management

Get back to truly taking care of the residents and staff and the profits will follow.

Aug 18, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

This is not how Holiday runs our business. We are in the business of providing security, comfort and value to seniors seeking an active and fulfilling lifestyle. Any maintenance issue should be taken ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed