Holiday Retirement Reviews

Reset

What i think after 2 years

Current Employee - Food Server in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Food Server in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was nice during school because it wasn't a lot of hours. But still got you some money to have fun with or to save.

Cons

They management can sometimes be hard to deal with. They never think anything is done right but don't offer to help get it done right and still have us on a time clock.

Advice to Management

Help out more. be more strict with people calling in.

Jun 1, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

Thanks for committing to delivering the Holiday Touch to our residents and being flexible during times of uncertainty. Community expectations are high because of our dedication to delivering a high ... More

Don't Become a Lead Manager!!!

Former Employee - Resident Manager
    Former Employee - Resident Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents are wonderful!! We loved working with them. Also you get to work with your spouse. That's the best part.

Cons

Nasty corporate rules make you quit. You can be a 100% occupancy and corporate acts like its bad. You work your butt off for no money. It's like working in a nursing home for no pay. If the associates don't like you, your RD will make sure your gone quickly. RD job is so stupid. Your money pays them and they do nothing. And yes we spoke everything to HR and our RD. No one cared. Every problem is blammed on the lead Manager. If a dishwasher breaks a dish its the lead managers fault for not training them properly. Do you want to pour coffee, answer phone, clean poo in the bathroom, help fix dishwasher that just broke all while managing 128 seniors who are grumpy and a 12 million dollar business within 1 hour?? That's your average day.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your managers. Not always are they the problem. Your biggest issue is relying on your salaried employees to work their butt off in absence of other associates. 12 hats?? That's a joke. 12 hats and still manage!! Impossible.

Jul 24, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

When managing employee feedback in HR, we cannot always guarantee the outcome of a situation will workout in the associate's favor, nor can we discuss the outcome after a decision or action has been ... More

Massive disappointment

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents are wonderful and working with them an amazing experience

Cons

Everything else. This is a toxic company with no support for those they expect the most from They'll chew you up and spit you out without any qualms. My advice is to avoid the heartache and never work for this company. I wish in many ways that I had paid closer attention to the ratings from managers given here. Of Course I figured they were probably written by disgruntled employees who weren't willing to put in the work. BIG MISTAKE. Every negative things you'll read in these reviews is accurate. It is highly likely you will regret it if you decide to work for them.

Advice to Management

The relationship between the corporate layer (regional managers and above) to the community managers is that of abuser to abused. Think about it.

High demands/little rewards

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The little time that I get to spend with the residents is so rewarding. I love helping people and most of the residents are so grateful for even the smallest effort to enrich their lives.

Cons

We are expected to be telemarketers to get tours. That is expected to the exclusion of everything else. The pressure is immense from the regional director and the regional sales leader. There is a lot of wasted time when we could be doing exactly what they want but instead, they are keeping us tied up on conference calls or doing reports instead of actually making contact with potential residents. They have no sympathy for the other demands we have put upon us. We work over 50 hours per week, sometimes cleaning apartments because a housekeeper didn't show up, or serving meals and cleaning the dining room because a server didn't show up. This is in addition to being on call for about 100 hours per week for emergencies. They claim to put the residents first but I don't see it. It is all about sales.

Advice to Management

You expect us to give the Holiday Touch but ride us to get tours booked to the exclusion of everything else and when we don't meet your expectations, we are chastised and talked to like we are naughty children. Spend a day in my life and see the reality of the job. All your talk about giving the Holiday Touch looks ideal and great on paper but when do we have time to do that?

6. ex chef

Current Employee - Ex Chef in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Ex Chef in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

you have a great opportunity to effect residents lives

Cons

community mgrs. not professional power struggles

Advice to Management

be team players

7. Executive chef

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Port Charlotte, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Port Charlotte, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

I am a qualified executive chef that has great references from Capital Regional Medical Center in Tallahassee , fl.

Cons

Driving from Port Charlotte to Sarasota

Advice to Management

I am a great leader

Management

Former Employee - TX-Texas in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - TX-Texas in Houston, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Hours OK same customers \ residents

Cons

Poor training, understaff, bad food handling, and hiring highschool kids to depend on is very agitating @copperfield estates

Advice to Management

Random drug test

9. Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Flexibility, living expenses, love the seniors.

Cons

Long hours, begin to feel trapped, can't leave building.

Advice to Management

Make RD's listen when there is a problem in a community.

May 19, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

In a resent response, we posted that Holiday is committed to maintaining a positive work environment for all of our associates and we promote an "open door" policy for problem resolution. We ... More

Be aware of salary effects on social security

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Job includes housing, meals & housekeeping, plus one of the shortest commutes ever. I won't dwell on the negatives of working here other than to say I was on prescription antidepressants for the last 6 months. And that after having the only net positive property in the area for 4 months in a row.

Cons

Because housing is included instead of deducted, the amount of earnings reported for social security is low. Lowering retirement savings through Social security. Since many managers are close to retirement age, this could be a concern.

Advice to Management

Pay a real salary and charge back a discounted rent to create a fair condition for employees to contribute to their retirement. Pay attention to the reviews here. You have the potential to be of great service to the growing retirement community and a great employer. Unfortunately, you've forgotten your real mission and have fallen into the mak a dollar at any cost trap. If you put your customers first, treat your employees with respect, and remember that to stay in the now buildings must be updated every 7 to 10 years to remain attractive to new clients, the money will come.

Co-Mananger

Current Employee - Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (More than 3 years)

Pros

This opportunity gives you a chance to relocate and grow in your marketing and management experiences.

Cons

There is little work life balance. Many hours and on call 4 nights per week

Advice to Management

Start paying your employees for OT / On call

RSS Feed </> Embed