Holiday Retirement

Employer Engaged

Rewarding but demanding!

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Residents are great and I am very lucky to work with a great team

Cons

Pay is HORRIFIC embarassing low and managers and comanagers think they run everyone and everything. Hire ignorant uneducated and unexperience. Low pay is why there is such a high turn over. Unless your have 97% capacity (which isn't common) they only give you 32 hours

Pay your employees a liveable salary and give your enrichment coordinatora 40 hours!!!!! It doesn't matter how many people are in the building to coordinate, decorate, shop, and lead activites. Also consider giving ECs an assistant to help!

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Working over a 120 hrs in 2 weeks, low pay scale.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The retired residents are the best ever.

Cons

Low pay, too many hours, lead managers aren't trained to work as a team, promise to train you but you have to do it on your own time. Want you to volunteer on your days off. Bad structure in upper management. Workers don't respect management in the 3 communities I worked in. Time lines are to tight for workers with little or no appreciation.

If you are going to work your managers for over 120 in two weeks give better salaries. Hire more sales people per communities so managers can do their jobs.

Don't do it UNLESS you need first time experience AND you are ok with independent only living

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent training and no holds barred expenses.

Cons

Unrealistic goals, Wall Street hedge fund mentality, leadership that is not Fortune 500 educated or trained. Very Chinese business model of "turn and burn" employees.

Get Fortune 500/100 leaders first! Everything comes from above and sets the tone. Then get some real market research on this niche....and like the big players, probably offer all levels not just independent living. If seniors want independent, they stay home!

Welcomed changes on the horizon

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There have been positive strides toward employee satisfaction programs made in the past year. The associates, for the most part, care about their role in serving our seniors.

Cons

Same song and dance as in 99% of the other reviews, middle management is inept.

Hire qualified middle management who recognize the challenges in the communities and actually offer support instead of pointing the finger when the heat is turned up.

Dec 5, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We have leadership development available and we encourage our leadership to take advantage of these programs. We are working to bring additional professional ... More

You are the OWNER of your Building ! HaHa!!

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have minimal expense, so you can save for your OWN Retirement! The relationships you build. The associates who work sooooo hard ! The team you Build. Overall Home office is trying!

Cons

The long, hair on fire, Hours. The Co managers have no clue as to how the business needs to run. If you try to teach them how operations work they are not interested in learning. They get to be social, and do not understand what it takes to balance ALL the hats the Mangers wear. This is why the management turnover at the Community level. If the RD would practice what the Company preaches and take care of the Managers and have their back , the Managers could build a TEAM. We do the division of LABOR.. but still do it ALL. When you have an accountability talk with the COs and they don't like the delegation they CRY fowl.. to RD We as the OWNER of the business, to make it successful should have our boss on our side.
    The hoops that we have to JUMP through to get what we need to take care of residents and the building upkeep is a JOKE. We are told to know our budgets, sales, take care of the CUSTOMER (the Resident)... but don't do anything unless you get APPROVAL on any decision. We love what we do .... but burn out is a given !!! No one should have a pit in their stomach everyday they are on the job. Work Life Balance -0-.. We can not get floaters as NO one coordinates relief for a Team. We earn vacation time but can not take... the Teams cover for each other so when you do a take a day or two.. you come back and work 5-9 days straight 24/7 so the time off Is voided.. back to being exhausted. You do it every day/week/month to be there for your RESIDENTS.... at very low wage based on the hours.. and get NO pay increase. Even as a top level Community your earn no more than struggling Manager.

HELP do not hinder us! Please quit taking advantage of your LEAD Managers.... Do something for them.. Let them rub their Communities.
    You know what Communities have poor Managers ... coach those teams.... Reward your top teams. Everyone, under we take care of with praise, rewards , associate appreciation. But the Leads, (US), get nothing from above. Yet the buck stops with us on all levels. Please stop the abuse of the Community managers.

I hope my next review is better

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with great residents and the opportunity to save money. Associates are a pleasure to be around.

Cons

Budgets are too tight and there is still an air of paranoia that permeates the company. Accountability and rewards should be should be shared by all, from RD to dishwasher.

Follow through with plans to upgrade building budgets and increase food service choices and quality.
    Don't wait for the competition to empty out the communities. Because they will.

Nov 21, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. Over the last year Holiday Retirement has gone to great lengths to make our Rewards & Recognition programs more inclusive of all employees. The programs focus on ... More

holidays carpentry work?????????

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

no rent or utilities,no life!!!!!!!

Cons

managers are pawns.carpentry work sucks.you mean residence pay $3000 for this. see pictures.rummour is comunity fee is going up because there not making as much PROFIT.ON profit.this place is a joke. don't move here.check out the 45 degree angle! are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!

GET LOST just like wallstreet & congress.accounts payable department is made up of 20 year olds & inexperenced college grads.hire some aldults!!!!!!

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for sharing a comment. I hope you were able to discuss your grievances with your direct supervisor. You seem very unhappy and that is not what we want for any employee. Our Accounts ... More

Believe everything you read about this company

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good if you are in the right community. Good Salary plus bonus

Cons

Very difficult company to work for with little to no rhyme or reason except sell at all cost. I have worked for holiday for almost 2 years and worked side by side with my bosses sister, both sons, and almost every other member of her family all at different times. Preferential treatment is beyond belief and the company is fully aware.

Sales leaders have 137% turnover you would think the company would ask why but instead they continue on without making any changes except lowering bonus payouts.

Company may be satisfactory at senior level management and home office, but not for field managers

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Our parents, our wonderful seniors. The benefits i.e. health insurance, 401k, etc. is good however the cost for these benefits goes up yearly. Working with your spouse.

Cons

As long as the CEO remains to be Ka Hsiaoi this is a company not to work for. The hours are long, the stress level for field managers is high, and the compensation is low. If you enjoy living in a small 600 sq ft outdated apartment, working a minimum of 55 - 60 hours a week, working holidays/weekends, not being able to take vacation time (no coverage), being harassed by your Regional Manager for not getting enough tours/sales booked and closed, having to fill in for absent servers, cooks, dishwashers, housekeepers, and maintenance person then by all means apply. We will look forward to your pro and cons in the near future.

This company still maintains a very high turnover percentage for community managers and co-managers.

Respect the field force that keeps this company afloat.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

I’m sorry that you’ve had this experience with Holiday Retirement, and we take your feedback seriously. We take great pride in the rich lifestyle benefits we provide our community management ... More

Dishonorable Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Only be employed at Holiday so you can get another job. Even then question your ethics as this company runs from morals.

Cons

IT is not viewed as a valuable resource. CIO has no concern for her staff only if it makes her look good and she's willing to take credit for your work. I would recommend walking away from any company that view integrity as "when it will benefit me" The company doesn't encrypt patient files. Managers can walk off with patient info with a simple flash drive. Don't put your family member in a holiday owned or represented facility.

Management would need to compensate employees with better benefits. In addition, changes would need to be made so trust and integrity in a company could be establish.
    Run away! this company is epitome of hell and dishonesty.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

Holiday Retirement has an industry leading Information Technology platform that enables us to better serve our seniors and associates. We don’t have patient files at Holiday, but of the records we ... More

Holiday Retirement Photos