Holiday Retirement

Updated August 18, 2014

1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 30 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 50 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Just check the turnover rate...enough said...

Pros

Seniors are great..some great staff

Cons

too many to list..its all about the bottom line...MONEY...cuts to shave budget..staff overworked...upper management reaping the benefits..food budget for residents is a joke.

Share the wealth...

bad to worse

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Hermitage, PA
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Hermitage, PA

Pros

the residents that I have contact with on a daily basis, Serving coffee at each meal and taking the time to talk to each and everyone of them, it has a personnel touch for me

Cons

Working with someone who doesn't play by the rules can be frustrating, but it's worse when your boss breaks the rules. Working with a boss who doesn't adhere to company standards, regulations or guidelines creates uncertainty about job security and calls into question the integrity of the person designated as my leader. It makes me wonder if the companies selection process is effective for choosing supervisors and managers.

The last thing I want to do and the least that I am qualified to do is come in and say, you, your job is BS, while you, you’re okay.
    This by no means is an easy issue for me to comment on. Because what I have observed and dealing with is the difficult issue of this culture. What culture you might ask? Well for me culture is the DNA that drives the behavior of the organization and its people. In other words: How people do things around here when no one is looking. From branding to internal discipline and ethics, culture influences attitudes and behaviors in every aspect.
    In contemplating an apparently endless growth of responsibilities as being a co-manager, I came to the conclusion that this is one possible vision of hell, populated by a collection of individuals who are spending the bulk of their time working on mindless task and mastering the art of busyness.
    In the few minutes it takes to read this, chances are you'll pause to check your phone, answer a text. Switch to your desktop to read an email from the boss's assistant, glance at Facebook or Twitter messages popping up in the corner of your screen. Off-screen, crosstalk about a colleague's teenager might lure you away, or a co-worker may stop by your desk for a quick question.
    My typical workday seems custom-built to destroy individual focus. A ceaseless tide of meetings and internal emails means an increasingly scramble to get real work done on the margins, early in the morning or late in the evening.
    Four months. That’s how long it took for my passion and excitement to fade into anxiety and panic. While it was true that I didn’t know exactly what to expect in my new role, four months just seems too short of a honeymoon.
    When hired I wrongly assumed that I was hired because I was excellent fisherman, only to discover that I was expected to spend a great deal of my time cutting bait and cleaning fish.
    Understanding, there is an unlimited number of fish that need to be cleaned, I quickly became overwhelmed at the thought that some of my co-workers are spending more time fishing, and not doing their fair share of the bait cutting and fish-cleaning responsibilities. I am convinced that there are endless piles of useless uncleansed fish piling up.
    In my few short weeks with Holiday Retirement I have come to the conclusion that groupthink-like behavior is prevalent within the organization.
    One example for this harsh statement:
    Conference calls have to be one of the least efficient and most painful ways for people in any organizations to communicate.
    My observations as why conference calls fail are simply these:
    1: Failure to establish clear etiquette at the beginning of the conference call.
    a; background noise from cell phones or other sources.
    b; participants talk over each other
    c; trouble tracking who is speaking
    2: Hogging the spotlight
    Believing that as the leader, you have to be the expert, an old-fashioned expert model that simply does not work. Any leader that dominates more than 50 percent of the time talking is hogging the spotlight.
    3: Talking rather than engaging
    Talking at participants goes hand-in-hand with an outdated expert model. It’s just not working, it’s clear to me that the leader is working too hard.

I don’t think anyone person set this up as a conspiracy, however those in leadership positions let it happen, because if you think about it, that’s exactly what’s not supposed to happen. We all make fun of government agencies because they just make up meaningless jobs. They make up jobs, moving things from one side to another. Or the requirement to have three different people to buy a piece of bread, you have to get a ticket from one, you have to go over here to get a number then get in that line to get the slice of bread. My observations are that, we’re making up meaningless office jobs, and these guys are basically paid to act busy all day. A lot of them may really work one or two hours, and the rest of the time they’re downloading stuff from the Internet, or playing around on Facebook or something. But, their job is to sit in an office, and basically valorize the idea that everybody should look busy all the time, that work is valuable in itself.

New to the Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

Pros

The orientation training was well thought out.
    Leadership staff has been responsive to my questions. Most of the leaders are strong. People are being recognized for bringing up new ideas.
    The company has been adding new programs that are designed to support employees.

Cons

There is a lot of positive change so you will be happier if you are a person that can handle change.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would not recommend working for Holiday

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Community residents are great. Travel perk is good if you get the time off to get out of town.

Cons

Many community management teams don't get along. Difficult work environment.

Corporate and district management doesn't know what is going on at the regional level. Need to visit dysfunctional regional teams more.

Conflicted Management

Current Employee - Community Bus Driver
    Current Employee - Community Bus Driver

Pros

The clients are wonderful, and have great stories to tell.

Cons

Management has very little people skills.

Clients are the number one priority. They pay your salary. Pay attention to them.

Not impressed.

Current Employee - Executive Chef
    Current Employee - Executive Chef

Pros

residents are great. love talking with them on a daily basis listening to all their amazing stories.

Cons

Little to no communication between the 2 sets of live in married managers. extremely high turnover rate for management and employees in general. most co-managers last about 3-9 months before resigning. About the same for building managers. Mostly due to the constant pressure from the sales team. It seems as if that is the companies only aim. we just had 5 sets of managers quit in our region in the past 2 weeks!

The Pay for housekeeping,serving, and hourly kitchen staff is so low that you are resorted to hiring staff with little experience and the ones that have experience don't stick around long because of the constant bombardment of micromanagement from regional down to building management

....OH AND GET THIS... whether your an hourly employee or salary you can never get a raise!!! Thats right! What rate You are hired in as is the rate that you stay for your entire employment. The companies response to my complaints is that "we do give out raises....cost of living raises." My cost of living raise last year was .03 cents. WOW. The only exception for this is if you change jobs say from dishwasher to prep cook, then you would possibly get a raise in pay. (There is only 4 positions in the kitchen: cook sous chef dishwasher and sometimes a prep cook) Generally employees are treated as liabilities as apposed to assets for the company.

If you enjoy a consistent beat down and a click-ish, cool kids mentality, join in the fun!

Pros

Meeting seniors and families who truly have a need and helping them to navigate thru the move process.

Cons

Senior leadership is out for themselves. Period. No direction, no training, NO INTEGRITY! Culture is dog eat dog. I'm ALL for making a buck but not at the expense of my integrity or wildly unbalanced work/play ethic. They don't care who goes or stays. It's a turn and burn culture with the mind set that they'll just put someone else in the role if things don't work out. When I started with company I trained with 6 people in my role. Only one of them is left. That was less than a year ago.............

Quite sure they have no interest in my advice..... I tried that once, just before I resigned.

Absolutely The Worst Senior Living Company in the Country!

Former Employee - Executive Chef
    Former Employee - Executive Chef

Pros

Got a pay check. Really that's it.

Cons

65 hour work week mostly by yourself, filthy dated buildings, lousy regional chefs, strict budget, transient managers & co-managers, REIT status,

Clean house and start over. In 2014 your mission should not be to trick seniors into gobbling up sweets and sugar snacks and then serving the same leftovers 4 times in a row with frozen vegetables at every meal.

This companies per person plate cost is $3.93 for 3 full meals. Absurd! That's why they try to bake from scratch and fill these seniors up on snacks and sugar. Because flour and sugar are cheap. Oh and the EGGs! Eggs at every freaking meal. Eggs or Jello salad.The chef recipe data base is a joke, regional chefs are old school slop cooks from the 80's, you are micromanaged to death down to your food order, you do your own laundry, clean employee break rooms and scrub all pots and pans even as executive chef. Servers are also housekeeping so they just served you your eggs bennies then they go scrub your toilet and come back and hand you a sandwich. This is by far the worst culinary operation model I have ever seen. I can't believe I ruined my career by working here. I should have stayed where I was but I thought this place was legit. Buildings are dated, smell like urine and are filled with negative staff because everyone is managed by fear. The regional chef in my area is a dirtball of a human being. Screaming at me about the budget after one week on the job. Telling me to serve same leftovers 4 days in a row. Somebody call 60 minutes on them please. I don't even believe the top level directors even exist. I think one person runs all of their outlook accounts. So many scams as listed on here by others and they are all true. Yea I got time to make a 7 layer wedding cake and ginger bread house from scratch working alone and being in charge. If you really want to know how bad this place is.....Im 35 with 2 kids and I walked right out without having another job. First time I ever did that in my entire career. Tossed the keys to the manager and bounced.

Corporate management had no regard for the community management or the seniors once they moved in.

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Arvada, CO

Pros

Enriching the lives of the seniors by giving them a better quality of life and having an extended family.

Cons

Corporate Management needs to train Managers and co-managers properly not just in sales but over all operations. The training is just focused on Sales. Getting the move-in.

Go back to the Grass Roots. Please don't forget the residents come first not just tours and move-ins because without the resident being happy you'll have no move-ins.

Greedy company with NO respect, NO support, and NO trust for their Community Managers.

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Working for 80 and 90 year old residents is VERY rewarding. We stayed with the company longer than we should have because of the residents. They trusted and cared for us as much as we did for them. They are indeed the "Greatest Generation". We very much enjoyed working for and interacting with them.

Company pay and benefits were good.

Cons

ALL Managers are treated the same - they are micro-managed to the hilt! 3 sales conference calls per day and 2 daily written sales reports - even if your community is 100% occupied! As a manager of a multimillion dollar building/business, the Managers cannot order anything over $50 without written approval and at times, this level is dropped to zero. Regional Director was very weak, often allowing regional Chefs, and others to run ruff shot. Lots of egos at the regional level. All Holiday (Fortress Investment Group) is interested is how much money they take from senior citizens. 4 - 5.5% rent increases are given to existing residents EVERY year. Market rates for new residents increase 8 - 10% EVERY year. Meanwhile, yearly pay raises for employees average 2%, and increases to resident services (such as food, activities, etc.) increase 0 - 3%. This is a very shameful company preying on our senior citizens. (NOTE: The work week is 50+ hours AND at least 3 on-call nights per week, which we became accustomed to, and were fine with - but could be a negative to others).

There are NO career opportunities for Community Managers. Jobs are not posted, and I've never seen or heard of a Community Manager being promoted to a regional position.

1. Stop GOUGING our senior citizens. Yes, you should be able to make a fair profit, but you should NOT be able to GOUGE your residents. 2. Treat your best Managers with more respect, support and trust - particularly long term managers who keep your communities full and profitable. These managers are the daily face of your company. They sell and service your customers each day. Treat them better! The constant turnover of GOOD Managers costs the company a LOT of money. It is no wonder the turnover rate for Managers at Holiday Retirement is close to 50% per year! Consider making your better Managers - SENIOR Managers - and give them higher spending limits, more leeway, etc. TRUST THEM!

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!