Holiday Retirement

Updated December 16, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

they took my dream and turned it into a nightmare

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you sure can save a lot of money, no time to save it

Cons

My typical workday seemed custom-built to destroy individual focus. A ceaseless tide of meetings and internal emails means an increasingly scramble to get real work done on the margins, early in the morning or late in the evening.

Four months. That’s how long it took for my passion and excitement to fade into anxiety and panic. While it was true that I didn’t know exactly what to expect in my new role, four months just seems too short of a honeymoon. Yesterday’s opportunity of a lifetime is no longer worth the sacrifice today.
    When hired I wrongly assumed that I was hired because I was excellent fisherman, only to discover that I was expected to spend a great deal of my time cutting bait and cleaning fish.
    Understanding, there is an unlimited number of fish that need to be cleaned, I quickly became overwhelmed at the thought that some of my co-workers are spending more time fishing, and not doing their fair share of the bait cutting and fish-cleaning responsibilities. I am convinced that there are endless piles of useless uncleansed fish piling up.
    In my few short weeks with Holiday Retirement I have come to the conclusion that groupthink-like behavior is prevalent within the organization.
    One example for this harsh statement:
    Conference calls have to be one of the least efficient and most painful ways for people in any organizations to communicate.
    My observations as why conference calls fail are simply these:
    1: Failure to establish clear etiquette at the beginning of the conference call.
    a; background noise from cell phones or other sources.
    b; participants talk over each other
    c; trouble tracking who is speaking
    2: Hogging the spotlight
    Believing that as the leader, you have to be the expert, an old-fashioned expert model that simply does not work. Any leader that dominates more than 50 percent of the time talking is hogging the spotlight.
    3: Talking rather than engaging
    Talking at participants goes hand-in-hand with an outdated expert model. It’s just not working, it’s clear to me that the leader is working too hard.

I don’t think anyone person set this up as a conspiracy, however those in leadership positions let it happen, because if you think about it, that’s exactly what’s not supposed to happen. We all make fun of government agencies because they just make up meaningless jobs. They make up jobs, moving things from one side to another. Or the requirement to have three different people to buy a piece of bread, you have to get a ticket from one, you have to go over here to get a number then get in that line to get the slice of bread. My observations are that, we’re making up meaningless office jobs, and these guys are basically paid to act busy all day. A lot of them may really work one or two hours, and the rest of the time they’re downloading stuff from the Internet, or playing around on Facebook or something. But, their job is to sit in an office, and basically valorize the idea that everybody should look busy all the time, that work is valuable in itself.

take a good look at your internal operations

Could've been great

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Like working with seniors. Seeing someone happy being in a community is what it's all about. Hitting your bonus pay was pretty nice too. When it happened.

Cons

To many reports and incompetent management. Complete lack of understanding about cyclical sales. Good managers get run off at the community. It leaves the sales team with doing to many jobs. Did I mention the reports?

If you like being micromanaged to the point of anxiety, then this is the job for you!

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Serving the Senior Population. The residents and prospective residents you work with.

Cons

Micromanagement. Unrealistic expectations. Poor direction from upper management. High turnover. Corporate is bipolar.

Provide the "Holiday Touch" to your employees. Value them. Value the benefit of employee retention. You lose good employees by the way you treat your employees. The constant "restructuring" and micromanaging is belittling to your employees. Also, consider your pricing. Not every market is the same. Your smaller markets should not have the same requirement expectations as your larger metropolitan areas. Be realistic.

Just Beat Me

Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The wonderful residents that you just love

Cons

Not enough room! So many conference calls. Feel guilty when you sell an apartment to a senior.
    The regional team is relentless. No love for the seniors or what this industry is about. Just sell sell sell They all need to get a real life outside of the company. BUT< their heart would not know how to love someone outside of money and cut throat ways. They will look at this and laugh, but what is sad is that it is true. There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company. Very sad, because this could be a wonderful company to work for

GO sell graveyards or cars

customer service nonexistent

Current Employee - Resident in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Resident in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pretty buildings and good food

Cons

basically property managers, not people managers. They say it's your home, but really it's their home and even tell you what dress code is acceptable for the residents.

remember who's paying the bills. retirees that have government pensions for the most part. population on the up and coming cannot afford the $4000/month rent.

Sucks the life out of you

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working around the wonderful residents. They provide housing for management team so you can save some money.

Cons

Some residents can be very mean, you are pushed to the end of your ability and that's still not enough all the while it is made clear to you that you can be replaced. Total secrecy on matters that are important to you. General air of pitting one against the other while singing the "team spirit song". Unbearably long hours but since managers are "salaried" you get no overtime and have to cover for others that are hourly so there is no overtime.

Go back to the basics of how Holiday was founded. Appreciate your employees and your residents.

If there were a zero stars rating this company would get it.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having a positive impact on the lives of seniors by helping ease the transition from living at home to living in a retirement community.

Cons

This company has no heart or soul! It chews up and spits out employees at an unbelievable rate and has little regard for the concerns of its residents. If you can get the recruiter to identify the company prior to the second interview - DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT CONTINUE THE INTERVIEW PROCESS. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Would not waste my breath.

Nightmare is finally finished

Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personal relationships with residents developed over years. Priceless friendships.

Cons

Can't imagine a more incompetent senior management team from the top down through regionals of every description. Employment laws, federal and state are ignored, violated, mocked. Health and safety of residents and employees are in the policies and proceedures then ignored in the pursuit of profit. Residents are treated like misbehaving children if they complain or ask for anything. Once they sign on they are considered captive property. They are referred to as "revenue units". Holiday does not value employees. They are treated like paper towels. Use them to clean up a mess...toss them out. There is always another desperate prospect waiting to be hired. If you are unemployed, broke, homeless, desperate then this is the job for you. Work until you can escape with some cash.

This section is pointless. Management is accomplishing exactly what they intend to accomplish. Hire employees who are desperate, willing to be abused and easily replaced if they complain or figure out the system. Regional managers rarely last more than a year. They burn out or blow out. For community managers, your goal is to survive your current regional manager. Each time you do that, you potentially get another year.

work the chef to make him leave or just give up

Former Employee - Cook in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Cook in Macon, GA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

chef loved his job but he worked 80 hrs a week with little or no help that is the good the chef loved to cook good food

Cons

chef was told a lot of time he was over his budget he was given 3.75 to feed 3 meals he just cooked food that was good and not what the book said like for breakfast like oatmeal and dry toast that is it he cook eggs bacon and made cinn. rolls for them we saw on days before he got there was maybe 5 or 6 person for brakfast when he got there we had 70 to 75 persons because he cooked real food for them not junk like pre cooked chicken brest that they told him to serve he got 1/4 chicken and bake it to give them i can go on and on the chef was good than one day they fired him and gone back to the b/s food and now we are back at 10 or 12 persons at breakfast

let the chef be a chef and give them a budget they can work with as he said a lot of times to corp. but they fierd him because he gave them good food to eat not crap. as corp. liked to feed them are chef was well liked by all

Run the opposite direction as fast as your feet will carry you.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Serving and getting close to the residents, which is what drew us to the job initially.

Cons

There is not enough space to name all the cons.. That company is full of cut-throat, harassing people who constantly berate those on the front lines doing the work. More is never enough and regardless of how successful you are, or how loyal, they will send in "teams" whose express assignment is to find something wrong with your management style or your community so they can fire you. I witnessed that procedure numerous times with excellent managers who were very successful..
    The turnover is faster than when you're making pancakes... which is so detrimental to the residents and the communities.

If you manage with ethical fortitude instead of blind greed and disregard for human beings, success will naturally follow.

Holiday Retirement Photos