Holiday Retirement

Updated November 20, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Never fully staffed made the hours seem unending

Former Employee - Co Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We found that working with the seniors was great. There was different things to do different days, not boring.

Cons

Never fully staffed so could barely have any time off. Other managers didn't share the on call duties. Was more of a nursing home, rather than "independent living".

Be sure to get relief managers if there isn't 2 sets of managers to run things. Less meetings, more hands on activities.

Growing company with great values

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is making major changes that positively impact the employee and residents. They have surveyed both employees and residents to find ways to make improvements. Some recent positive changes:

1. New senior leadership that is committed to making a positive difference in employee and residents lives.
    2. New rewards and recognition programs that are providing cash and certificates to the front line employees.
    3. Active campaigns to give back to veterans and local communities both in money and volunteer time.
    4. Increased facility improvement budgets.
    5. Pay and benefits are great.
    6. Over the last year communications have improved. We hear a lot more about what is going on in the company.

Additionally, the company is growing, stable, and in the right demographic for the future. If you like connecting with people, love customer service, and are not afraid of hard work the communities are a great place. Holiday is making a difference for thousands of individuals everyday.

Cons

The company like many companies during the recession had to put a larger focus on sales. This is changing as the company now has high occupancy. The community manager and sales roles are hard positions. Those dedicated to the residents will find the rewards, but those in it just for a job will struggle. Many negative reviews are from people who were not successful.

Continue the cultural changes. In the last year there have been a lot of positive changes.

Worst company I ever worked for.

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees and Residents are the best part of this job.

Cons

Micro Management is the name of the game. Your just a number. No bonuses, Expect to do the job and not give you the tools to do them with.

Worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with seniors and making them happy.

Cons

This company is run by people who have no knowledge of senior living nor do they care. All they care about is money. They treat their employees horribly with pressure and intimidation. They know how badly they treat people and don't care. Upper management is a joke. I saw a lot of drunken partying by upper management and some real bad examples, but this is what they do best. Their are no morals or ethics and no one cares about the residents. The pressure they put on the sales people borders on abuse and I only hope that no one is desperate enough to take a job with this company.

I have no advice. They don't care.

don't work here!!!

Former Employee - Co Manager in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

love residents . love working with residents

Cons

lots of stress to sell instead of supporting current residents.no support for managers!

try to stop moving or deleting managers because upper management is inefficient!!

Absolute hell.hole.,worst job

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

None, this is the worst job ever

Cons

Cutting hours and pay. No caring for residents. Just want the seniors money. Run,don't walk.away.Worst job in 40 years of working.

Fire area managers and marketers. Only care about themselves.

The 40 year old "model" no longer works - it is 2014

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really aren't any... The cons negate any pros that you might think there are.

Cons

You are managing to a 40 year old budget/financial model that is far beyond it's time. To think for one minute that in todays economy people will arrive for 2 hour shifts and be paid $18.00 prior to taxes in incomprehensible. The model no longer works - Kai - utilize some of the talent that you have out there in your management teams move forward to 2014. Get rid of the RSL's - they are glorified admin assistants absorbing dollars that could be used on-site. If your leads are going to be managed by AMD's then have them direct report to them - the RD's basically have no contact with the leads... 18 minutes over 8 weeks is pathetic-money is being wasted...Managers and comanagers have no life - co managers apt off the main dining room??? Managers have a bedroom wall that is shared with the office??? Let's get with the tmes...

Overhaul the entire model - eliminate RSLs - have leads report to AMD's - could probably get rid of RDs as they basically serve no purpose...

Making a Difference in Seniors Lives

Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping seniors feel safe in their home

Cons

Telemarketing and dividing couples one sales one operations

Listen to community managers

Unreasonable Expectations

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement (more than an year)

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this company unless you think being over worked and under paid is a good thing.

Cons

Lazy district manager. Ditrict Sales manager was a crook. Company would adjust policies if you were doing to good and making a bonus. They forgot to pay me for all of my hours more than once.

I got to work with Some very Interesting Residents well I grow fund of. I learn A Lot.

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

well it was very Refreshing for me and the staff they all were Team players. I learn and apply myself with active Listening Techniques applying confidentiality. also applying counseling Techniques. I didn't get to Exercise the time-off policies but I was up for A promotion.

Cons

well very hard work but I like hard work. It gave Me A chance to grow To Expand My Techniques. I learn A Lot when I was Trained. and Also Bought A Lot To The Table.

my advice is keep eyes and ears open. listen Pay Attention keep your Nose Clean. if you have A problem with Management Talk to Management yourself. might get Better Results.

Holiday Retirement Photos