Holiday Retirement

Updated December 19, 2014
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Nightmare is finally finished

Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personal relationships with residents developed over years. Priceless friendships.

Cons

Can't imagine a more incompetent senior management team from the top down through regionals of every description. Employment laws, federal and state are ignored, violated, mocked. Health and safety of residents and employees are in the policies and proceedures then ignored in the pursuit of profit. Residents are treated like misbehaving children if they complain or ask for anything. Once they sign on they are considered captive property. They are referred to as "revenue units". Holiday does not value employees. They are treated like paper towels. Use them to clean up a mess...toss them out. There is always another desperate prospect waiting to be hired. If you are unemployed, broke, homeless, desperate then this is the job for you. Work until you can escape with some cash.

This section is pointless. Management is accomplishing exactly what they intend to accomplish. Hire employees who are desperate, willing to be abused and easily replaced if they complain or figure out the system. Regional managers rarely last more than a year. They burn out or blow out. For community managers, your goal is to survive your current regional manager. Each time you do that, you potentially get another year.

Run the opposite direction as fast as your feet will carry you.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Serving and getting close to the residents, which is what drew us to the job initially.

Cons

There is not enough space to name all the cons.. That company is full of cut-throat, harassing people who constantly berate those on the front lines doing the work. More is never enough and regardless of how successful you are, or how loyal, they will send in "teams" whose express assignment is to find something wrong with your management style or your community so they can fire you. I witnessed that procedure numerous times with excellent managers who were very successful..
    The turnover is faster than when you're making pancakes... which is so detrimental to the residents and the communities.

If you manage with ethical fortitude instead of blind greed and disregard for human beings, success will naturally follow.

Growing company with great values

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is making major changes that positively impact the employee and residents. They have surveyed both employees and residents to find ways to make improvements. Some recent positive changes:

1. New senior leadership that is committed to making a positive difference in employee and residents lives.
    2. New rewards and recognition programs that are providing cash and certificates to the front line employees.
    3. Active campaigns to give back to veterans and local communities both in money and volunteer time.
    4. Increased facility improvement budgets.
    5. Pay and benefits are great.
    6. Over the last year communications have improved. We hear a lot more about what is going on in the company.

Additionally, the company is growing, stable, and in the right demographic for the future. If you like connecting with people, love customer service, and are not afraid of hard work the communities are a great place. Holiday is making a difference for thousands of individuals everyday.

Cons

The company like many companies during the recession had to put a larger focus on sales. This is changing as the company now has high occupancy. The community manager and sales roles are hard positions. Those dedicated to the residents will find the rewards, but those in it just for a job will struggle. Many negative reviews are from people who were not successful.

Continue the cultural changes. In the last year there have been a lot of positive changes.

Worst company I ever worked for.

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees and Residents are the best part of this job.

Cons

Micro Management is the name of the game. Your just a number. No bonuses, Expect to do the job and not give you the tools to do them with.

Worst company I've worked for in 30 years--micromanagement at its worst!

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors. It's a nice product and good value. Good health plan.

Cons

As a sales professional with degrees and years of health care experience, I've never been treated so poorly. You spend 1/4 of the day telling three supervisors the same thing. There are one-on-one coaching calls, reporting calls, a model of selling that sometimes make me feel like I'm in the used car business. Supervisors think they have all the answers. But the bottom line is family and residents make up their mind in their own time, not Holiday time. Difficult to take holidays off when you work in a community. Lots of management turnover and personality issues. Employees are not value and respected even though we all give the best to our residents.

Respect and value your employees. It's good business sense and reducing turnover saves money. Employees feel so little value--even lead community managers and co-managers. Sales leaders are monitored and beaten up on a consistent basis. Many managers are leaving for career with Hawthorne because they feel the old Holiday management run a more effective organization. In my entire 30 year career, I've never worked so many hours for so little pay. Commissions were reduced in company's favor. How are employees ever going to feel valued? The company is nothing without its managers and staff.

long hours

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

love the residents and the loction

Cons

hate the hours and the pay

Never fully staffed made the hours seem unending

Former Employee - Co Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We found that working with the seniors was great. There was different things to do different days, not boring.

Cons

Never fully staffed so could barely have any time off. Other managers didn't share the on call duties. Was more of a nursing home, rather than "independent living".

Be sure to get relief managers if there isn't 2 sets of managers to run things. Less meetings, more hands on activities.

Worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with seniors and making them happy.

Cons

This company is run by people who have no knowledge of senior living nor do they care. All they care about is money. They treat their employees horribly with pressure and intimidation. They know how badly they treat people and don't care. Upper management is a joke. I saw a lot of drunken partying by upper management and some real bad examples, but this is what they do best. Their are no morals or ethics and no one cares about the residents. The pressure they put on the sales people borders on abuse and I only hope that no one is desperate enough to take a job with this company.

I have no advice. They don't care.

don't work here!!!

Former Employee - Co Manager in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

love residents . love working with residents

Cons

lots of stress to sell instead of supporting current residents.no support for managers!

try to stop moving or deleting managers because upper management is inefficient!!

The 40 year old "model" no longer works - it is 2014

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really aren't any... The cons negate any pros that you might think there are.

Cons

You are managing to a 40 year old budget/financial model that is far beyond it's time. To think for one minute that in todays economy people will arrive for 2 hour shifts and be paid $18.00 prior to taxes in incomprehensible. The model no longer works - Kai - utilize some of the talent that you have out there in your management teams move forward to 2014. Get rid of the RSL's - they are glorified admin assistants absorbing dollars that could be used on-site. If your leads are going to be managed by AMD's then have them direct report to them - the RD's basically have no contact with the leads... 18 minutes over 8 weeks is pathetic-money is being wasted...Managers and comanagers have no life - co managers apt off the main dining room??? Managers have a bedroom wall that is shared with the office??? Let's get with the tmes...

Overhaul the entire model - eliminate RSLs - have leads report to AMD's - could probably get rid of RDs as they basically serve no purpose...

Holiday Retirement Photos