Holiday Retirement Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Not a independent retirement more like nursing home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits enjoy working with and for residents to make a difference to the ones that are there with no family is great

Cons

Open door policy is non existent

Advice to Management

Listen to ur employees as we are ur back door too this company get rid of the awful manager at diamond ridge he most definitely dose not have them in his best interest u forget that your employees are ur back door closers if it weren't for the residents and the employees that interact with them and keep them feeling safe and happy u would have no business

Holiday Retirement Response

May 13, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

We take our Open Door Policy very seriously at Holiday because we are committed to maintaining a positive work environment for our associates. We encourage all associates to share their employment ... More

What a mess

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

If you don't like your boss just stick it out because they can't keep a building manager for more than a month

Cons

The management staff changes so frequently they have no Ideah what employees go out of there way to make the experience positive for the residents. All of corporate doesn't care about the residents they just think of excuses all day and who to blame it on while they drive around the country visiting all their communities when really they don't accomplish anything except playing Facebook on there phones all day

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

THERE ARE NONE AT ALL!

Cons

YOU WILL HAVE NO LIFE!

Advice to Management

They arent listening so I wony waste any energy on this.

Co-Manager

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Making a difference in the lives of the residents and their families.

Cons

Unable to make any decisions. I was hired as a co-MANAGER but the job is simply administrative work. All decisions are made for you, you have to get written approval to spend $50. Minimum work hours per the corporate schedule are 52 hours a week, plus you are on call when you leave the office so you can NOT leave the building. You will only have 2 days in which you can physically leave. The closing hours are not realistic because you can't leave until the kitchen is closed which can sometimes be close to 10:00pm. I believe the "management" title is given so corporate can get away with paying "salary exempt" wages since the OT is so high.

Advice to Management

Treat your managers like managers. If you hire experienced property managers, you will not need to micro-manage and schedule conference calls every 3 hours to check on us or triple check purchases that are over $50. If not, call the job what it is, an administrative assistant.

current EC

Current Employee - Community EC
    Current Employee - Community EC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for the company for almost 2 years as an enrichment coordinator and I adore my time with the residents! It is a gift to come to work everyday knowing that my job is to bring joy. And I am pretty good at it. The hours are pretty flexible which works well with a home life. I feel that for the job I do I get paid fairly well... though who doesn't want more?

Cons

Allowing the EC only 32 hours is ridiculous. My position is what keeps the back door closed. A family environment is promoted (and certainly what sells our community since the carpet is old, the paint is old, the furniture is old, and the higher ups have no interest in fixing it), but the salaried employees are so busy on conference calls, and sales that they don't have anytime at all to spend loving on these amazing people. What I do may seem superficial but I assure you it isn't. When I come in after two days off I am told I am never allowed to leave again. I end up having to hand off events and activities to residents and letting them get done at a substandard level to stay within my hours. None of which makes since to me since that extra 8 hours a week would not be much of an investment in the long run. The other con I have noticed is a micro managing regional management. If we have been given budgets why do we have to run every expenditure past the RD? I am perfectly capable of staying in a budget, and much time is wasted approving every 50 dollars I need to spend.

Advice to Management

let up on the control. if you have hired a good team give themselves a chance to prove their worth. Realize that the "back door" is just as important as sales. If we manage to retain the happy residents then the building will stay full. There is no point pushing for sales and then making it impossible to keep the ones we have.

More Like An Abusive Relationship Than A Job

Former Employee - Management Team in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Management Team in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively decent pay IF YOU CONSIDER you don't have household bills, but even at that: if you divide your salary by the number of hours you're REALLY working (instead of the 40 the paystub mentions even though it's SCHEDULED at 52 hours per week), most managers aren't even pulling in minimum wage.

Cons

You will never be good enough. No matter how many people move in, they want you to have more. Your budget will never be tight enough, your building never clean enough, your sacrifice never great enough. Then there are the staff who get angry at you when occupancy forces management to reduce their hours. You get to finish their jobs while hearing how they talk about you behind your back. Then there are the residents who hate the corporation, but they unload that on the community staff who have no power to change anything. Resident meetings are a room full of people talking about how cheap the company is: they want more entertainment, more events, more transportation hours, more housekeeping staff for a cleaner building, more upscale menu options. They want their money's worth. And they aren't getting it here.

Advice to Management

You need to listen to your employees and residents. If you want to charge a premium rate, you should offer a premium product. Either increase your quality or lower your pricing. Affordable, well-maintained properties filled with happy, well-fed, engaged individuals should be the goal: then your communities would sell themselves. If you have to try this hard to convince people to come, take the hint.

Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

Pros

Working with wonderful seniors helping change their lives

Cons

Long hours. Lack of support from upper management. Managers that lie and miss treat residents. Constant change of pay structure

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. Visit the communities more that once every 6 months.

abusive environment

Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

Pros

great staff, great residents, beautiful building

Cons

unrealistic expectations from management and corporate office. constant turnover with management and sales directors. Intimidation and bullying used by corporate management.

Advice to Management

Be more concerned about the staff and clients than about making money

Manager

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Kenner, LA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Kenner, LA

Pros

A great business plan is the bait

Cons

Concern is on money, not seniors

Advice to Management

Listen and participate

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - General Manager in Waterbury, CT

Pros

Bonuses were good and that's about it.

Cons

Job description is not true. Hours worked were unbelievable. I worked 10 months without a full day off. Being I was on salary, no extra pay for my time.

Advice to Management

Provide more support for your Managers. Restructure your initial training with instructors that have been out in the field and done the job. Not someone that opens a book and is not sure of the information they are putting out.

RSS Feed </> Embed