Holiday Retirement Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

not a place I'd like to work at for the rest of my life.

Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Loved working with the residents. Good coworkers. Was always busy so the day went by really fast. Learned a lot of problem solving skills here.

Cons

Corporate office was always changing things, such as what position was responsible for what jobs. Community Management changed often; high turn over. The job was extremely stressful at times, there were tasks that had to be completed daily and if you got behind you were behind all day.

Advice to Management

Don't be so intimidating when you visit communities. Follow opinions of long standing employees, they know what works best for the residents/coworkers in their specific community.

This Company is REALLY Trying

Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being in a business where you provide REAL value to amazing seniors. The company is starting to listen and invest in their associates and their communities. They are becoming more and more transparent, engaged with the workforce, and strategic in their planning. I was skeptical that this ship could turn at first but am now very proud to be a part of this organization. There is still work to do but the commitment to making Holiday a best in class corporation is now apparent. I trust the senior leadership to continue the course.

Cons

The pay is quite low while the expectations are high. That being said, there are other aspects of working here that help balance the equation; relaxed dress code, work/life balance, exciting initiatives, & working with seniors. Also, a compensation specialist has been hired to ensure that we are being paid comparable to other companies in this industry. There is also much work still to do in bridging the gap between the community level and senior leadership - the perception at the community level is that sales is all that matters & that regional management is heavy handed.

Advice to Management

Continue making the improvements, you are on the right path. The rest of you out there; HANG ON! It's getting better and better each day. I look forward to my future with this company.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for sharing. We can all look forward to 2015 and what is to come!

Best place I've worked in ten years

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The best thing about this place is it's commitment to growing and becoming the best company it can be.

I've been working here since October 1, 2014 (two and a half months, as of this writing), and I have been blown away multiple times by the leadership's focus on making this a world-class organization and a better environment in which to work. They are very open to employees' suggestions and are working hard at knocking down the separation between departments and job functions. The company is also very transparent with its staff. Employees are kept informed and are consulted about new company-wide initiatives through pilot programs and surveys.

I'm also really impressed by how much this company cares about its end users, its residents. Whenever changes to processes are discussed, impact to residents is always the first concern. Residents also participate in surveys and pilot programs to make sure that new programs will fill needs and be successful.

Day-to-day, the culture here is relaxed and supportive, committed to work-life balance, focused on increasing efficiency without nickel-and-diming budgets, open to innovation, new ideas, and new technology, and determined to enhance employee and resident experience.

I've enjoyed working for other companies over the last ten years. As a long-term contractor, I've worked in four other large corporations in the area. All four had great qualities that made them successful companies, and the people I worked with became life-long friends. But after transitioning to Holiday, I can say with certainty that none of them were as good a fit for my values and my personality as Holiday is.

Cons

There aren't really any cons that I've found so far, which is why I can so categorically recommend working for this company. I suppose the compensation for my job might be 5% or so higher at larger companies, but IMO the rewards of working here vastly outweigh a slightly larger paycheck.

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for all the work and positive energy you bring to the table.

5. good for the most part

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

residents and the other assiciates

Cons

unrealistic expectations , constantly pushing the sales

Advice to Management

check out the RD's that have been with the company for a few years / bad gulture

Arrogant Leadership

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

It is easy to get a job here. Everything you see about this company on glassdoor is true.

Cons

Leadership is arrogant and completely out of touch with the day to day operations of the communities. All talk and no do. The company is successful in spite of, not because of, the leadership.

Advice to Management

Anyone in a leadership position should humble themselves and spend two weeks, working as a manager, living in the community, washing dishes, responding to e-calls, dealing with confused residents and minimum wage hourly employees. Go on minimum sleep and long hours with no break. AND do it with your spouse!

Feb 9, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for your suggestions. In 2014 Holiday created several new leadership development programs helping them to be come more connected with the business the lead. In fact our new onboarding ... More

Unlike any company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Your best reward is the seniors you get to know and love.

Cons

The constant interruptions that hinder you from completing your daily office task.

Advice to Management

Don't take your managers and co-managers for granted. They work hard to be everything to everyone. From stepping in as maintenance to housekeeping, and let's not forget during meal times. Coffee pours can really be a challenge as well.

This place is ridiculous

Current Employee - Community Manager in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The residents are awesome. Some of the best in there generation and so knowledgeable so we learn a lot from them.

Cons

District vice presidents that have little man syndrome and think it is best to surround themselves around young attractive ladies rather than promote based on merit and knowledge of operations. This company has a lot to learn and one of the biggest is "not having employees fearing for their jobs because sales is down". Their used car salesman approach to sales is so messed up. Holiday does serve a variety of people in there upper years and having 26 and 27 year old regional directors and Regional anything does not set well with them but the company don't get it. These regionals are to young and don't listen to anything the managers try to tell them Mostly I think it comes from unqualified District Vice Presidents that should have stayed in the Hotel Industry.

Advice to Management

You have us do these surveys but we really want to know when are you going to listen to what we are saying.

9. It was an okay time

Current Employee - Server in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The job is simple and the people are nice.

Cons

The pay isnt that great

Experience was all positive until the company was bought out by venture capitalists in NYC.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the residents was the highlight. Fellow co-workers were fine as well. Facilities were great and quite
    well maintained.

Cons

Corporate office and owners in NYC were guilty of making "knee jerk reactions" to situations and required rapid
    changes that only made managing harder, and creating much dissatisfaction among residents and line managers.
    Too much reliance was placed upon telephonic marketing to fill apartments, when assuring happy residents would
    have been more effective in bring in new residents. The company really had no interest in keeping good employee relations. They were only interested in the bottom line figures.

Advice to Management

Take better care of residents and employees. Take a more friendly approach to management of the company.

Total disconnect between corporate and communities.

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents. Love 'em. If you ever scratch your head and wonder how job satisfaction can be so low and people not quit sooner, residents are why. They can hold back your burn-out.

Cons

Procedures change constantly and everything is a high priority. Expectations are against a misguided sense of reality about how the communities operate. There is an unrelenting sales drive above all else with ever decreasing investment to update communities for the next generation of seniors. This turns the community management positions into a real pressure-cooker with exhaustive hours that few handle for long - high turnover.

Advice to Management

With over 30 years in business I've never seen an operation where I'd have to tell the CEO "It's broke. All of it." First, concentrate on communities with the goal to make (and keep) them THE PLACE to retire. Second, listen and LEARN from the communities. There is no understanding of community operations - even from the regional level. And if the RD's don't get it, then you're hosed at the executive level. If you have to explain to the communities (all too often) how "you get it" - then you don't. Lastly, deeds do not match words. I can respect someone who talks straight - even when we disagree. I have no time to waste on BSers. Why does this have to be learned throughout the home office and the Regionals? Answer? POOR HIRING DECISIONS/DIRECTION. Either get a fresh approach and tackle these things head-on, or be ready for the inevitable negative impact on the company - maybe not now, or tomorrow, but it will come.

RSS Feed </> Embed