Holiday Retirement

www.holidaytouch.com
Employer Engaged

Top-Heavy Upper Management with Minimal Concern (or time) for Residents! There are NO winners!

Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Former Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the residents and my fellow employees. Nice physical environment to walk into each day and lovely senior residents with which to engage.

Cons

Many cooperate requirements for all positions plus the actual corporate values take time away from creating a positive, living environment to the CURRENT residents that are paying to live at the Holiday community. The community is run on minimal staff, all who give 110%, creates stressful and unhealthy work environments. Way too heavy on the upper-management with too many bosses that creates conflict among the individual community management positions.

This company is extremely upper-management heavy. Each full-time facility position (manager, chef, maintenance, sales leader) has a different regional manager that travels to "manage and trouble -shoot" issues that arise - many times the issues are among the various full-time community positions. I saw so many upper management regionals arrive to the facility, tour the apartments and provide feedback to the various community manager position (whether it be the on-site manager, sales leader or maintenance manager), each regional manager with differing ideas and solutions as to "what will sell the apartments" than the other upper management. This causes conflict within the facility staff as each regional has a different "opinion" and "fix" to the problem and causes confusion and conflict between the community staff. All the while, the current residents needs and issues are NEVER addressed. The focus is ALWAYS on getting the apartment filled and NEVER on what might keep the CURRENT residents satisfied. The current residents deserve better but will NEVER get it because the facility is run with MINIMAL staff that work hard but will never be enough to provide any extras to the residents. The residents get the bare minimum due to the corporate structure of required daily marketing calls by the sales leaders AND managers on duty, one maintenance man, one 32-hr enrichment coordinator, 3 full-time servers/housekeepers all for 100+ residents. There are no winners here at the Holiday Retirement communities!

Could've been great

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Like working with seniors. Seeing someone happy being in a community is what it's all about. Hitting your bonus pay was pretty nice too. When it happened.

Cons

To many reports and incompetent management. Complete lack of understanding about cyclical sales. Good managers get run off at the community. It leaves the sales team with doing to many jobs. Did I mention the reports?

Just Beat Me

Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The wonderful residents that you just love

Cons

Not enough room! So many conference calls. Feel guilty when you sell an apartment to a senior.
    The regional team is relentless. No love for the seniors or what this industry is about. Just sell sell sell They all need to get a real life outside of the company. BUT< their heart would not know how to love someone outside of money and cut throat ways. They will look at this and laugh, but what is sad is that it is true. There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company. Very sad, because this could be a wonderful company to work for

GO sell graveyards or cars

customer service nonexistent

Current Employee - Resident in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Resident in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pretty buildings and good food

Cons

basically property managers, not people managers. They say it's your home, but really it's their home and even tell you what dress code is acceptable for the residents.

remember who's paying the bills. retirees that have government pensions for the most part. population on the up and coming cannot afford the $4000/month rent.

If there were a zero stars rating this company would get it.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Having a positive impact on the lives of seniors by helping ease the transition from living at home to living in a retirement community.

Cons

This company has no heart or soul! It chews up and spits out employees at an unbelievable rate and has little regard for the concerns of its residents. If you can get the recruiter to identify the company prior to the second interview - DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT CONTINUE THE INTERVIEW PROCESS. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Would not waste my breath.

Nightmare is finally finished

Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personal relationships with residents developed over years. Priceless friendships.

Cons

Can't imagine a more incompetent senior management team from the top down through regionals of every description. Employment laws, federal and state are ignored, violated, mocked. Health and safety of residents and employees are in the policies and proceedures then ignored in the pursuit of profit. Residents are treated like misbehaving children if they complain or ask for anything. Once they sign on they are considered captive property. They are referred to as "revenue units". Holiday does not value employees. They are treated like paper towels. Use them to clean up a mess...toss them out. There is always another desperate prospect waiting to be hired. If you are unemployed, broke, homeless, desperate then this is the job for you. Work until you can escape with some cash.

This section is pointless. Management is accomplishing exactly what they intend to accomplish. Hire employees who are desperate, willing to be abused and easily replaced if they complain or figure out the system. Regional managers rarely last more than a year. They burn out or blow out. For community managers, your goal is to survive your current regional manager. Each time you do that, you potentially get another year.

work the chef to make him leave or just give up

Former Employee - Cook in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Cook in Macon, GA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

chef loved his job but he worked 80 hrs a week with little or no help that is the good the chef loved to cook good food

Cons

chef was told a lot of time he was over his budget he was given 3.75 to feed 3 meals he just cooked food that was good and not what the book said like for breakfast like oatmeal and dry toast that is it he cook eggs bacon and made cinn. rolls for them we saw on days before he got there was maybe 5 or 6 person for brakfast when he got there we had 70 to 75 persons because he cooked real food for them not junk like pre cooked chicken brest that they told him to serve he got 1/4 chicken and bake it to give them i can go on and on the chef was good than one day they fired him and gone back to the b/s food and now we are back at 10 or 12 persons at breakfast

let the chef be a chef and give them a budget they can work with as he said a lot of times to corp. but they fierd him because he gave them good food to eat not crap. as corp. liked to feed them are chef was well liked by all

Run the opposite direction as fast as your feet will carry you.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Serving and getting close to the residents, which is what drew us to the job initially.

Cons

There is not enough space to name all the cons.. That company is full of cut-throat, harassing people who constantly berate those on the front lines doing the work. More is never enough and regardless of how successful you are, or how loyal, they will send in "teams" whose express assignment is to find something wrong with your management style or your community so they can fire you. I witnessed that procedure numerous times with excellent managers who were very successful..
    The turnover is faster than when you're making pancakes... which is so detrimental to the residents and the communities.

If you manage with ethical fortitude instead of blind greed and disregard for human beings, success will naturally follow.

Worst company I've worked for in 30 years--micromanagement at its worst!

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors. It's a nice product and good value. Good health plan.

Cons

As a sales professional with degrees and years of health care experience, I've never been treated so poorly. You spend 1/4 of the day telling three supervisors the same thing. There are one-on-one coaching calls, reporting calls, a model of selling that sometimes make me feel like I'm in the used car business. Supervisors think they have all the answers. But the bottom line is family and residents make up their mind in their own time, not Holiday time. Difficult to take holidays off when you work in a community. Lots of management turnover and personality issues. Employees are not value and respected even though we all give the best to our residents.

Respect and value your employees. It's good business sense and reducing turnover saves money. Employees feel so little value--even lead community managers and co-managers. Sales leaders are monitored and beaten up on a consistent basis. Many managers are leaving for career with Hawthorne because they feel the old Holiday management run a more effective organization. In my entire 30 year career, I've never worked so many hours for so little pay. Commissions were reduced in company's favor. How are employees ever going to feel valued? The company is nothing without its managers and staff.

If you like being micromanaged to the point of anxiety, then this is the job for you!

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Serving the Senior Population. The residents and prospective residents you work with.

Cons

Micromanagement. Unrealistic expectations. Poor direction from upper management. High turnover. Corporate is bipolar.

Provide the "Holiday Touch" to your employees. Value them. Value the benefit of employee retention. You lose good employees by the way you treat your employees. The constant "restructuring" and micromanaging is belittling to your employees. Also, consider your pricing. Not every market is the same. Your smaller markets should not have the same requirement expectations as your larger metropolitan areas. Be realistic.

Holiday Retirement Photos