Holiday Valley Ski Resort

1. Alright for a part time job - Poor place to work full time

Former Employee - Snowboarding Instructor in Ellicottville, NY
    Former Employee - Snowboarding Instructor in Ellicottville, NY

I worked at Holiday Valley Ski Resort

Pros

- They will pay for you to get PSIA certifications - The uniform is lent to you free of charge, unlike many resorts - There is a locker room for you to store your stuff - Average pay for the work

Cons

- If management decides they don't like you, you'll get less work and work that doesn't tip as well - For a long time, they were expecting workers to show up and then not paying them if they weren't teaching a lesson

Advice to Management

Less questionable practices will make for happier employees

Ski instructor - they way they pay their employee's has to be illegal

Former Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Ellicottville, NY
    Former Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Ellicottville, NY

I worked at Holiday Valley Ski Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free season pass, ability to progress, getting to ski/ride everyday

Cons

Underpaid, only get paid for when you are teaching. Could be there for 8 hours and only teach one lesson so you only get paid for an hour and half. Full time employees are given a guarantee for coming in for the day but its something stupid like $25 and wont even cover most peoples gas. Management is worried about all the wrong things and creates stupid rules like not being allowed to wear anything but long sleeves inside. Even if i taught lessons all day everyday i worked my pay check would only be $50 to $75 more then if i didnt teach at all makes no sense. As a full time employee i worked 5-6 days a week and usually took home $198

Advice to Management

Focus on better paying employee's for their time. $25 for 6-8 hours of my time is like slave labor.

3. Terrible management with no potential of promotion

Current Employee - Multiple Departments in Ellicottville, NY
    Current Employee - Multiple Departments in Ellicottville, NY

I have been working at Holiday Valley Ski Resort part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great if your a college student or want to golf and ski for free.

Cons

Where do I start? If they know you have a family you are providing for they will use that against you. They know you have no where else to go especially in such a small town so they pay you the minimum. Rather than promote with in their own company they will bring in a random outsider leaving it up to the department's employees to train their new boss. Also never let them know your ideas because within a year, if they were good they will steal it. The old management needs to change. The ski instructor department is a scam and the pay is always wrong because the lucrative way they They give a lot of the great opportunities to the rich kids of the rich family's that are known around town. Upper management the only position with decent pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and promote within your company. Don't act like your employees aren't good enough to be emailing you. Change the way you pay your instructors. Stop taking advantage of the local people so you can all live in your nice houses on Holiday Valley hill.

5. Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Holiday Valley Training Center
    Current Employee - Holiday Valley Training Center

I have been working at Holiday Valley Ski Resort

Pros

-My job is to ski -Free season pass for me and my family -Great customers and great program to work for

Cons

-Not the best money -Not a lot of room for growth -Very Early Mornings -Compensation for traveling is not the best

Advice to Management

Management keeps us in the loop for the most part. Having more opportunities to express ideas would be a nice improvement

RSS Feed </> Embed