Holidaybreak

Holidaybreak Group Chief Executive Peter Kerkar
Peter Kerkar

Overall satisfied

I have been working at Holidaybreak

Pros

Get to travel
    Easygoing staff
    Meet those from other nationalities

Cons

No major cons, but must like camping and travelling

A great way to experience a different way of life in a country or region that you probably wouldn't choose as a holiday

Former Employee - Driver/Montage Courier in Messanges, Aquitaine (France)
    Former Employee - Driver/Montage Courier in Messanges, Aquitaine (France)

I worked at Holidaybreak

Pros

A great social experience visiting different regions and many nationalities. Hard work but very rewarding when you get good feedback from customers & guests.

Cons

As an older member of the team I was subject to petty rivalry from members of the management who were younger than myself resulting with extra/harder tasks to perform with deadlines impossible to meet.
    Some of the extra tasks were a result of unorganized time management skills due to not having all the management qualities required for such a large team & site.
    The staff living area did sometimes turn into something like a gypsy site with bad and unsocial behavior leaving the whole company with a tarnished reputation which I believe escalated after I had left employment with Holidaybreak.

3rd season couriers thoughts

Former Employee - Courier in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Courier in Paris (France)

I worked at Holidaybreak full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Although it's not a glamorous job, you get to spend your days (hopefully) working in a pleasant climate wearing shorts and flip flops (although technically cant wear flip flops for work now - health and safety rubbish). You get nice hours off over lunch and in the evenings and there's usually someone about to socialize with. I've always said this job is far better than any other unskilled or qualified 9-5 job and would recommend it to most.

Cons

Work can be very repetitive and does get a lot busier during high season (July-August) but by this time youve got a good routine and the work isn't too taxing. Dealing with unhappy holiday-makers isn't ever much fun but you always have to remember they're not there to complain, they do actually want to have a nice time.

The head office needs to be a bit more flexible with information given - i.e - prospective working sites for next year. and never seems to give you a straight answer to your questions. Also, not knowing when and where you will be going and only having a few days' notice is an incredibly stressful position to be in.

Had a great time

Current Employee - Cleaner in Dol-de-Bretagne (France)
    Current Employee - Cleaner in Dol-de-Bretagne (France)

I have been working at Holidaybreak as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

freedom, foreign country, women, friends sun, sea, alcohol.

Sign up, you'll love it. Good opps for career if interested

Cons

How good your time is completely depends on your boss, I was lucky enough to have alright bosses.

Pay is poor.

Keep up the good work and you will get happy campers.

Good way to kill some time, but no career!

Former Employee - Courier in Wassenaar (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Courier in Wassenaar (Netherlands)

I worked at Holidaybreak as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

meet amazing people. see amazing places, learn how to be responsible and stand on your own two feet, really get to interact with your customers and make a difference, can obtain NVQ's while doing your season.

Cons

poor standard of living, bad wages so you dont really go home with anything, often on sites with no access to supermarkets or cash machine apart from the trip once every 2 weeks if your lucky which is organised at the convenience of staff with a car, you wont build a career within the company unless you are willing to have no opinion and not criticize anything the company promotes, your face has to fit otherwise members of management will find a reason to get rid of you that others get away with.

You need to look at the larger picture of your organisation. Opinions are not a bad thing and can be used to forge the future business provided they are voiced in the correct manner in the right setting. Your members of high end management and site management are as bias as they come- people in relationships with those in places of authority are treated VERY differently and if you question this you will be forced into a position of either leave or be sacked. Numbers of couriers have left as they are not offered opportunities despite working numerous seasons and being really good at what the do, and they get looked over as people who are new with no experience come in and are favoured by management then they end up doing a really bad job.

Best thing I ever did

Current Employee - Senior Courier
    Current Employee - Senior Courier

I have been working at Holidaybreak as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to meet so many amazing people and its a great company to work your way up through the ranks.

Cons

Being away from home can sometimes be tough for some people who get home sick.

There should be a training course where people from the office work onsite for about a week and certain onsite staff have a week at the office to improve on understanding of how things actually work.

experience of a life time.

I worked at Holidaybreak full-time

Pros

It was fun from the minute i got off the plane. everyone was friendly and easy going. i got to visit places i would never have thought of going while on montage. the team i was with was more like a family by the end and i have made friends for life.

Cons

it took a while to bond as a team so possibly some team building exercises or ice breaker activities to start off the new group. i didnt feel that there was any focus on the progression of the employees from the management, only that they felt we were their to do our job and then go, if their was a bit of time set aside for one to one meetings with managers to discuss what we would like from the role and maybe help in achieving it.
    Most of the people i worked with were people who had been out before and a lot of the time we were given tasks in the assumption that we would know how to do it because everyone else knew.

management let personal feelings and friendships affect their decisions when allocating tasks i feel that this is unprofessional. I also feel that they should not have personal relationships with employees. time should be spent with each employee to ensure that they know exactly what is expected of them.

Great Experience - Campsite Courier

Former Employee - Campsite Courier in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Campsite Courier in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Holidaybreak as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting people from all around Europe
    Really great experience

Cons

Not many, but do not be afraid of hardwork

An enjoyable working environment with good prospects for development.

I have been working at Holidaybreak

Pros

Flexible, range of good opportunities, good benefits

Cons

In travel sector which is not a traditionally high-paying sector

Growing rapidly through aquasision

I have been working at Holidaybreak

Pros

Works in some exciting markets. The company has been growing rapidly through aquasision over the last few years.

Cons

Aquasitions run as descrete companies, leading to less opportunity for career development than if merged.

NA