Holland America

Updated October 15, 2014
3.3

Holland America President and CEO Stein Kruse
Stein Kruse

Pros
  • a chance to see many different exotic beautiful scenery around the world (in 5 reviews)

• Travel benefits great people who enjoy thete job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Most people are overworked (hence the lack of lay offs) and it's easy to get burned out if you make an effort for some work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Company is pretty traditional with upper management being primarily male (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

IT Manager

Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally good place to work

Cons

no cons. I was happy

Growth Opportunities partnered with disorganization

Current Employee - Talent Scout in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Talent Scout in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Traveling the globe, constantly evolving tourism industry, always challenges that are typically manageable. I have worked my way up from a seagoing musician to running my own program in the corporate office. If you are hard working and have the right attitude you will make it far as there are always opportunities for upward movement & professional growth.

Cons

NOT a forward thinking company. Stuck in the dark ages on technology and mindset. Politics are in every work environment but Holland America seems to be particularly bad.

Pull this company into the 21 century with technology, office amenities, work spaces, etc.

Steeped in tradition....

I have been working at Holland America full-time

Pros

Traditional old-fashioned corporate culture - weekly treats, holiday potlucks, attempts to engage employees through "fun" activities which are hit or miss. 9/80 schedule (every other Friday off).

Cons

Not innovative and lots of whiners who have been there so long they are afraid to quit their jobs but don't work to change the culture/environment in a positive way.

Get engaged with those below you and help improve systems - you've worked hard to get where you are OR you've been there a long time and are simply waiting to retire. Make space for the new or be open to necessary changes so that this company doesn't become a sinking ship.

if you are looking for money you need to be strong and you will definitely survive. The crew members are 90% philipinos.

Former Employee - International Concierge in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - International Concierge in Miami, FL

I worked at Holland America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only reason I moved to Holland America Line was the salary, it is much better than Royal Caribeean (same position). Other type of guests.

Cons

There is too much discrimination. Philipino crew members specially. the working conditions of those are harder. They have to work longer than other nationalities for example.

leadership, personal growth. Actually they do not care about the employees. The only great manager was Mila Castenon, she was great, smart, brilliant and much more.

Great Benefits, poor time management

Current Employee - Direct Reservations (Inbound) At Holland America in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Great and understanding Direct Management
    - Very ethical!
    - They really try to bring in fun things to do to keep the staff happy
    - Great for advancement

Cons

- Most vacation/days off aren't approved when you would like
    - They make the money, why not pay more!
    - Hours available to work aren't desirable.
    - High Turnover

Stop pushing requests and opinions to the wayside. We want to help, just communicate with us why something can't be done, we will understand.

Shipboard employment: Amazing travel - dismal job satisfaction

Former Employee - Assistant Shore Excursion Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Shore Excursion Manager

I worked at Holland America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel for free all around the world!

Cons

The land based side that makes all planning and job decisions is not completely informed of what works on the ship-based side

Take care of your ship board employees more! If they are loyal and performing try to accommodate them more or offer benefits

Driver and Guide

Former Employee - Driver Guide in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Driver Guide in Juneau, AK

I worked at Holland America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits of going on some of the tours are great. You get to meet people from across the globe. Depending on the ship, tips can be great.

Cons

Hours change all the time, and tips are never a sure thing. Lots of drama between the managers

Worry less about getting promoted and more about getting the job done.

So happy here that I could cry

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've seriously never been in such a great work environment. The people are friendly, we have fun doing what we do, and there are a lot of smart people making great business decisions.

If you get an offer to work here, jump at it.

Cons

The chance to get promoted is probably slower than other places you could work, but that's not really a big deal to me. I feel appreciated in how they treat me day to day, not just at review time.

Keep up the good work

A great professional experience.

I worked at Holland America as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It was a very professional and respectful environment to work in. The people I worked with were great, and I got paid on time... which is always a plus. It was challenging but enjoyable. There was great communication with management.

Cons

It is a very oldschool environment. To give you a sense of things there were still shag carpets on the floor, and the computer system was pretty outdated. This causes all the processes in the company to be outdated and leads to redundant because the system has not been improved.

Do Not Work in the Call Center...

I have been working at Holland America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The leads and supervisors are overall supportive because they know what a crappy job it is, and they understand what the employees are asked to do. There's good time off (if there's coverage). It's centrally located and I am able to take the bus to work or park in the parking garage if it's a weekend.

Cons

The departments are divided and there's very little communication between departments. If you work in the call center (which is at the Seattle office), you will have to endure people yelling at you on a daily basis. You will have to work weekends and holidays. It is soul-sucking and no one who works in Reservations is happy. It's a very unhealthy atmosphere. I work in a department that has initiated a new program, and everyday, I get to listen to other employees tell me about how awful it is, or yell at me because they aren't getting what they want from the system.
    Compensation is very low; I've been promised a raise for over 6 months and have yet to see anything go into effect yet. There is no feeling that management cares about the employees below them, and there's no sense of support. I often call in sick because this job makes me physically ill. It's a very high-pressure job, and people will not hesitate to yell at you if they're not completely happy with the product. So you get to basically be a glorified, underpaid punching bag.

Get it together... Pay your employees a living wage (especially in Seattle!) Show a little more appreciation for your employees.