Holland America

Updated September 17, 2014
3.5

Holland America President and CEO Stein Kruse
Stein Kruse

Pros
  • a chance to see many different exotic beautiful scenery around the world (in 4 reviews)

• Travel benefits great people who enjoy thete job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Most people are overworked (hence the lack of lay offs) and it's easy to get burned out if you make an effort for some work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Company is pretty traditional with upper management being primarily male (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

So happy here that I could cry

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've seriously never been in such a great work environment. The people are friendly, we have fun doing what we do, and there are a lot of smart people making great business decisions.

If you get an offer to work here, jump at it.

Cons

The chance to get promoted is probably slower than other places you could work, but that's not really a big deal to me. I feel appreciated in how they treat me day to day, not just at review time.

Keep up the good work

Great Benefits, poor time management

Current Employee - Direct Reservations (Inbound) At Holland America  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Direct Reservations (Inbound) At Holland America in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Benefits
    - Great and understanding Direct Management
    - Very ethical!
    - They really try to bring in fun things to do to keep the staff happy
    - Great for advancement

Cons

- Most vacation/days off aren't approved when you would like
    - They make the money, why not pay more!
    - Hours available to work aren't desirable.
    - High Turnover

Stop pushing requests and opinions to the wayside. We want to help, just communicate with us why something can't be done, we will understand.

Shipboard employment: Amazing travel - dismal job satisfaction

Former Employee - Assistant Shore Excursion Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Shore Excursion Manager

I worked at Holland America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel for free all around the world!

Cons

The land based side that makes all planning and job decisions is not completely informed of what works on the ship-based side

Take care of your ship board employees more! If they are loyal and performing try to accommodate them more or offer benefits

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Driver and Guide

Former Employee - Driver Guide  in  Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Driver Guide in Juneau, AK

I worked at Holland America full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits of going on some of the tours are great. You get to meet people from across the globe. Depending on the ship, tips can be great.

Cons

Hours change all the time, and tips are never a sure thing. Lots of drama between the managers

Worry less about getting promoted and more about getting the job done.

A great professional experience.

I worked at Holland America as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It was a very professional and respectful environment to work in. The people I worked with were great, and I got paid on time... which is always a plus. It was challenging but enjoyable. There was great communication with management.

Cons

It is a very oldschool environment. To give you a sense of things there were still shag carpets on the floor, and the computer system was pretty outdated. This causes all the processes in the company to be outdated and leads to redundant because the system has not been improved.

Just don't!

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Holland America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-great benefits (401k, profit sharing, stock options, & Health insurance)
    - cafeteria is decent
    - small Christmas bonus

Cons

Management is extremely top heaving and the CEO is only concerned with profits. Lots of the procedures in place are redundant and require several signatures for simple requests. While the attitude in the office is to scale back, management makes amazing money and spends your monthly salary on a week in Europe staying at top of the line accommodations. Hostile work environments are ignored and any issues are quickly swept under the rug with a gag order. They will also lay people off but flat out tell you it doesn't happen.

Please pay your employees and give a damn!

HAL offers great benefits however it does not offer a very friendly culture.

Former Employee - Cruise Sales  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cruise Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Holland America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HAL offers reasonably good salaries for employees coming into the organization yet do not offer the equivalent for employees moving up through the ranks. The health and retirement benefits are excellent.
    HAL has so many strong and talented individuals. HAL does offer "HAL University" but needs to do a better job of actually cultivating the talent that exists in their own backyard.

Cons

Much time is wasted at the company looking for blame and fault and instead of solutions.
    The company breeds a culture that does not encourage an "Open Atmosphere." Human Resources was really in place for the protection of the company, not so as a support to the employees.

One of the biggest obstacles I encountered was that is was not acceptable for employees who were trying to complete their tasks to speak directly to other department heads to assist in matters. Employees were supposed to go to their direct report and have that person follow up. Many times, this would result in major delays. Also, as a result of this, learning the operations of the company became quite difficult and discouraging. Independence is definitely frowned upon.
    I found that the general consensus was to never admit fault, instead, protect yourself at all costs. I have always believed in admitting my mistakes, correcting them and moving forward. This was not the case with Holland America.

Great company to work

I have been working at Holland America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Holland America is great company to work especially if you are just graduating and would like to learn more!

Cons

Unfortunately, in certain dept. there's no direction where they would like to go. Before finishing one project, the management decided to drop it and move on to different one!

Please get your act together by choosing one direction. One day this way and tomorrow will be different ways! Finish one project at the time.

Loved it....then fell out of love

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

SUPERB PRODUCT and the option to travel

Cons

They do not pay their employees very well

Wonderful company!

Current Employee - Headliner  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Headliner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

I was treated very well. My superiors were supportive & motivating!

Cons

None. It was all up to me & how I executed my job. The only downside is, it's a transient job.

Keep up the great work!

Worked for Holland America? Contribute to the Community!