Holland America

Holland America Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Holland America President and CEO Stein Kruse

Stein Kruse

Pros
  • a chance to see many different exotic beautiful scenery around the world (in 4 reviews)

• Travel benefits great people who enjoy thete job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Most people are overworked (hence the lack of lay offs) and it's easy to get burned out if you make an effort for some work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Company is pretty traditional with upper management being primarily male (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful company!

Headliner (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI was treated very well. My superiors were supportive & motivating!

ConsNone. It was all up to me & how I executed my job. The only downside is, it's a transient job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Loved it....then fell out of love

Coordinator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSUPERB PRODUCT and the option to travel

ConsThey do not pay their employees very well

Treats staff very well

Sound Tech (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsEntertainment staff is well taken care of with plenty of access to guest restaurants and bars. The pay is great and if you are ok with living in a tiny room for 6-8 months, you'll see some amazing places and have a great time.

ConsSmall cabins, crew food is not great and, as with all cruise jobs,you get very little support from the home office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Home office needs to be as attentive as possible to the needs of the shipboard employees as it's easy to feel neglected out there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great to work for in the Cruise Industry.

Entertainment Technical Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe best crew life out of all the cruise lines. Shorter contracts with a few months off between contracts. They value safety and a signature of excellence. Great cabins for officers, eating all meals on the Lido deck for officers and great downtime areas (including a bar). Many perks such as free shore excursions, socializing with co-workers and passengers encouraged.

ConsSalaries are middle ground for the cruise industry. Working on ships for months on a time can be hard if your not used to it. Some of the perks are only granted if complete one contract. Upper management is good but can be hard to get answers from the heads of entertainment.

Earned its bad reputation

Accountant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsMy coworkers were welcoming and enjoyable to be with. There's a cafeteria. Lower Queen Anne is a nice neighborhood to wander at lunch. Plenty of happy hours near by.

ConsI’d heard negative things about HA for years, mostly related to salary. I was able to negotiate my salary to what was fair and thought that was that. Wrong.
    Things that had me looking for a new job within 3 months:
    *employees pay to attend the summer picnic
    *my group was expected to work very late hours once a month, sometimes until 2 am. Food for dinner would be provided, but not drinks because a soda machine is in the building. Parking was not paid for these days. Even though what I needed to start my work was not completed by other departments until at least 2pm, staring the work day later was not allowed, nor was coming in later the next day. That’s right: 8am to 2am and then back at 8am. Given the dependencies of the tasks being done, there was no need for this. It was just face time while waiting for the next group to finalize the month.
    *the company is self insured for disability insurance and it’s based on time of service and does not become fully vested until 7 (?) years. It’s supposed to be insurance, in case of permanent disability. Last I checked, no one can chose the onset of a disability. I did not become disabled, but it’s a sign of HA not taking care of their employees and not providing standard compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your compensation in line with regional standards. Quality employees have options and will chose to find better employers in Seattle. There are lots.

Great company to work for, not much advancement opportunities

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsConsent travelling, seeing new places and experiencing new cultures etc. Good pay and mostly all room and board accounted for.

ConsConstantly at sea and majority of employed staff are young and interested solely in partying.

Company with potential

Personal Cruise Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThis company has potential if only it would modernize. There's a lot of potential profit in the industry. The company is finally adding new ships.

ConsIt's archaic, non-innovative, and lacks moral. The company is high-pressure, and not customer based. It's not pro-employee. There's a LOT of red-tape needed to accomplish goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be potential for inter-company growth. A 20% turn-over without offering lateral moves is unacceptable. It shows a lack of care or respect for employees. It also harms customer loyalty and relationships.

Great people, wimpy management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDecent vacation benefits, not always a hectic work environment, investments in technology to do your job. Office culture is laid back and there are discounts on cruises.

ConsWimpy management, a culture of fear about taking risks - even if it's a blatantly obvious correct course of action. No strategic thinking *anywhere* in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan the CIO and watch what your technology department can REALLY do if there's a bold leader a the helm.

Big Mistake

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWell, the company gives away a bunch of gifts (including travel) during the holidays, raffle style. Not much beyond that.

Cons* Incompetent IT "Leadership"
    * No focus on innovation
    * Incredibly difficult to get funding for anything
    * Pay is not very good (definitely below industry standard)
    * Office politics
    * Very little work-life balance
    * Very tight with time-off benefits
    * Very rigid and stuffy culture
    * Ivory tower leadership

I could go on and on...but, I think you get the point...

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Bring in more agile and innovative thinking leaders.

Learned how boring corporate America can be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou get nice travel discounts

ConsOld school management. Too much red tape. Extremely "stuffy" office environment.

Worked for Holland America? Contribute to the Community!