Holland America

Updated August 15, 2014
3.5

Holland America President and CEO Stein Kruse
Stein Kruse

Pros
  • a chance to see many different exotic beautiful scenery around the world (in 4 reviews)

• Travel benefits great people who enjoy thete job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Most people are overworked (hence the lack of lay offs) and it's easy to get burned out if you make an effort for some work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Company is pretty traditional with upper management being primarily male (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

So happy here that I could cry

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've seriously never been in such a great work environment. The people are friendly, we have fun doing what we do, and there are a lot of smart people making great business decisions.

If you get an offer to work here, jump at it.

Cons

The chance to get promoted is probably slower than other places you could work, but that's not really a big deal to me. I feel appreciated in how they treat me day to day, not just at review time.

Keep up the good work

HAL offers great benefits however it does not offer a very friendly culture.

Former Employee - Cruise Sales  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cruise Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Holland America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HAL offers reasonably good salaries for employees coming into the organization yet do not offer the equivalent for employees moving up through the ranks. The health and retirement benefits are excellent.
    HAL has so many strong and talented individuals. HAL does offer "HAL University" but needs to do a better job of actually cultivating the talent that exists in their own backyard.

Cons

Much time is wasted at the company looking for blame and fault and instead of solutions.
    The company breeds a culture that does not encourage an "Open Atmosphere." Human Resources was really in place for the protection of the company, not so as a support to the employees.

One of the biggest obstacles I encountered was that is was not acceptable for employees who were trying to complete their tasks to speak directly to other department heads to assist in matters. Employees were supposed to go to their direct report and have that person follow up. Many times, this would result in major delays. Also, as a result of this, learning the operations of the company became quite difficult and discouraging. Independence is definitely frowned upon.
    I found that the general consensus was to never admit fault, instead, protect yourself at all costs. I have always believed in admitting my mistakes, correcting them and moving forward. This was not the case with Holland America.

Loved it....then fell out of love

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

SUPERB PRODUCT and the option to travel

Cons

They do not pay their employees very well

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful company!

Current Employee - Headliner  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Headliner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

I was treated very well. My superiors were supportive & motivating!

Cons

None. It was all up to me & how I executed my job. The only downside is, it's a transient job.

Keep up the great work!

Treats staff very well

Former Employee - Sound Tech  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sound Tech in Seattle, WA

I worked at Holland America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Entertainment staff is well taken care of with plenty of access to guest restaurants and bars. The pay is great and if you are ok with living in a tiny room for 6-8 months, you'll see some amazing places and have a great time.

Cons

Small cabins, crew food is not great and, as with all cruise jobs,you get very little support from the home office.

The Home office needs to be as attentive as possible to the needs of the shipboard employees as it's easy to feel neglected out there.

Great to work for in the Cruise Industry.

Current Employee - Entertainment Technical Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Entertainment Technical Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best crew life out of all the cruise lines. Shorter contracts with a few months off between contracts. They value safety and a signature of excellence. Great cabins for officers, eating all meals on the Lido deck for officers and great downtime areas (including a bar). Many perks such as free shore excursions, socializing with co-workers and passengers encouraged.

Cons

Salaries are middle ground for the cruise industry. Working on ships for months on a time can be hard if your not used to it. Some of the perks are only granted if complete one contract. Upper management is good but can be hard to get answers from the heads of entertainment.

Earned its bad reputation

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Holland America full-time for less than a year

Pros

My coworkers were welcoming and enjoyable to be with. There's a cafeteria. Lower Queen Anne is a nice neighborhood to wander at lunch. Plenty of happy hours near by.

Cons

I’d heard negative things about HA for years, mostly related to salary. I was able to negotiate my salary to what was fair and thought that was that. Wrong.
    Things that had me looking for a new job within 3 months:
    *employees pay to attend the summer picnic
    *my group was expected to work very late hours once a month, sometimes until 2 am. Food for dinner would be provided, but not drinks because a soda machine is in the building. Parking was not paid for these days. Even though what I needed to start my work was not completed by other departments until at least 2pm, staring the work day later was not allowed, nor was coming in later the next day. That’s right: 8am to 2am and then back at 8am. Given the dependencies of the tasks being done, there was no need for this. It was just face time while waiting for the next group to finalize the month.
    *the company is self insured for disability insurance and it’s based on time of service and does not become fully vested until 7 (?) years. It’s supposed to be insurance, in case of permanent disability. Last I checked, no one can chose the onset of a disability. I did not become disabled, but it’s a sign of HA not taking care of their employees and not providing standard compensation.

Get your compensation in line with regional standards. Quality employees have options and will chose to find better employers in Seattle. There are lots.

Great company to work for, not much advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Consent travelling, seeing new places and experiencing new cultures etc. Good pay and mostly all room and board accounted for.

Cons

Constantly at sea and majority of employed staff are young and interested solely in partying.

Company with potential

Current Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has potential if only it would modernize. There's a lot of potential profit in the industry. The company is finally adding new ships.

Cons

It's archaic, non-innovative, and lacks moral. The company is high-pressure, and not customer based. It's not pro-employee. There's a LOT of red-tape needed to accomplish goals.

There should be potential for inter-company growth. A 20% turn-over without offering lateral moves is unacceptable. It shows a lack of care or respect for employees. It also harms customer loyalty and relationships.

Great people, wimpy management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holland America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent vacation benefits, not always a hectic work environment, investments in technology to do your job. Office culture is laid back and there are discounts on cruises.

Cons

Wimpy management, a culture of fear about taking risks - even if it's a blatantly obvious correct course of action. No strategic thinking *anywhere* in the company.

Can the CIO and watch what your technology department can REALLY do if there's a bold leader a the helm.

Worked for Holland America? Contribute to the Community!