Holland Freight Services

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Rogers

Great company to work for but out of touch with daily expectations of Account Executives.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, KS

ProsVery competitive pay. Good benefits. Car reimbursement (miles and maintenance).

ConsSystems are archaic. After being on the road all day visiting customers in your territory you must return home and log your appointments into their mainframe. The system is slower than dial up and the least user-friendly program I've ever seen. Expectations for Account Executives are to meet 8 daily appointments with current and prospective customers. Given the vast area you cover, you are guaranteed 4-5+ hours of driving. Which makes it difficult to conduct effective appointments with your clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake into account the amount of drive time an Account Executive experiences on a daily basis. Reduce the number of customer appointments to 4 or 5. Update your intranet (internal computer systems) so that logging appointments (at 7pm at night after a full day of working) does not take 1-2 hours. Lastly, provide effective training on the out of date computer systems as well as inter-organizational communication so that the employee can resolve issues in a timely manner.

Decent

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    La Crosse, WI

ProsPay is good, home every night, off weekends and most holidays. Excellent crew.

ConsJunk power and trailers. Invested in tech ( handhelds) before replacing/rebuilding worn out tractors and trailers.
    Daily bidding on runs (city) does not equate into efficiency or good customer service. We bid twice per year in start times, bidding on the runs should be eliminated.

Safety department does absolutely nothing meaningful. Local management and unions could certainly handle that job together.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. A lot of us really care and want to help things get better.

Pay should be a lot better being that you have to load and unload your truck. Deliver and pick up. $50 in union dues.

Indianapolis, IN

ProsHome every night. That's all. Other drivers are great to work with. Always willing to help. Some office staff is very helpful when needed others don't want to be bothered.

Cons14 hour days everyday. Junk trucks and trailers and fork lifts, no pallet jacks or dollies. Trucks washed once a year. Dispatch is a bunch a you know whats, never care about your problems out on the road just want to know if you'll get the job done so they can leave at 5 or 6 and leave you hanging with no one to answer you calls on the radio. Very poor route planning. They give you one pick up on one side of town then to the other side then right back to where you just left from previously. This company just burns money like its nothing and no body cares. Company WILL NOT stand with you and support you for false claims on you record. They just don't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay something positive to your employee's. I have never been told "hey thanks for helping us out or great job". Recognize your employee's for their hard work.
    Treat employees like they make a difference and they will.
    I hope for a new management team before I decide to walk.
    This company could be great. You have the freight. Just start updating all the old unsafe equipment and start visiting employees and listening to us.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible and good pay.

Casual Dock Worker (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, KS

ProsWhat i like about this company is that, there are flexible hours. Management is really good about working with your availability hours. Pay is $12/hr.

ConsThe only con I have is that the hours are not set in schedule. Management will call you up that day, and ask for you to come in.

Ok place to work

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Edwardsville, IL

ProsGood Pay, Good supervisors, ok employees

ConsUnion employees believe they are above the rules, and they are

Look elsewhere

Coon Rapids, MN

ProsCo-workers are wonderful people.

ConsThere is a pay freeze until 2018. 65% drop in retirement benefits. 15% pay cut in effect. Overall, ineffective, inefficient, and very dirty. Fleet is not aging well. Sometimes difficult to get basic items that actually work, to do your job. In essence, it's pretty much like any other trucking company with no concern for its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementA new strategic focus would be in order.

CITY DRIVER/DOCK

Combination Diver/Dock (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsInsurance and plenty of hours.

ConsEquipment is old and wore out. City loads are loaded out of route and jam packed. Forget any home life.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better communication between dock and city dispatch so drivers don't pay the price for bad decisions.

Run

Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood pay and insurance paid sick days and vacation (but it takes time to get it) overtime pay after 8 hours and you will get plenty of overtime.

Cons12 to 14 hour days .. just a start time you never know when you will get off work so it makes it hard for a home life or to try to schedule anything during the week. Always feel like management is trying to find anything they can to write people up, I hear they have a quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your veteran employees they have been doing the job alot longer than most of you.

USF Holland kept me busy but the union ruined it

Dock Worker (Former Employee)
    Bowling Green, OH

ProsMinimal down time, typically very steady work and the equipment is decent.

ConsThe union has turned most of the full time employees into entitled brats. Expect to be hated as a part time employee. The union takes a weeks worth of pay as an initiation fee and a percentage every week.. and they will not represent you because you're only part time.

Good place to work. Show up to work and do your job and life is grand.

Romulus, MI

ProsPlenty of OT and good benefits.

ConsEquipment is declining and being replaced with used equipment from lease companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better

Worked for Holland Freight Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holland Freight Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Holland Freight Services CEO Jeff Rogers. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Holland Freight Services employees.