Holland

Scott D. Ware

Great company

Current Employee - Road Driver
    Current Employee - Road Driver

I have been working at Holland full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Home every weekend, motels every day away from home.pay is good

Cons

Not well organized. Don't give you all the information you need to do the job. You have to learn about the paperwork on your own or get it from asking other drivers. They hire too many people then you sit at home and they tell you that the freight has slowed down.

Put together an orientation program that will allow the new drivers to be informed of all the information that will be needed to do the job. Not just some safety and hr points.

Under appreciated

Current Employee - Casual Dock Worker in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Casual Dock Worker in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Holland part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay but thats it

Cons

cant work full time unless you have cdl, union.

make more opportunities to advance to higher postions

Worked the dock great people poor management

Former Employee - Casual Dock Worker in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Casual Dock Worker in Akron, OH

I worked at Holland part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make your own schedule sit down forklift not overly physical great bosses and most drivers will help you and have your back

Cons

15% cut off your check part time isn't backed by the union but still have to pay union dues extremely cold in ohio winters

The the union do their job stop trying to use scare tactics to get what you want

Great benefits, good pay, more training is needed.

I have been working at Holland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. Medical, dental, and vision for my entire family costs less than my previous job where I made less money and the benefits at Holland are better. Pay is competitive for the industry. Room for advancement.

Cons

The company as a whole has a serous lack of training. No tuition reimbursement is offered. Most advancement opportunities require relocation. Hours are often non-traditional and are based on company needs, not much flexibility.

Invest in your people. Proper training can make all the difference. It is better to train up front and spend the few extra dollars it takes to get it right than have to constantly hire new people.

Fair compensation but, long hours and not much time to see your children except on weekends.

Current Employee - City Driver in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - City Driver in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Holland full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay (time and one half paid after 8 hours). Good benefits (Health,dental,eye care, and prescription drug coverage provided at no additional cost, co-pay required on doctor visits. )

Cons

Since the company was acquired by YRC Worldwide, the decisions coming from upper management don't seem to make much sense. Also, the parent company (YRC Worldwide) over extended themselves financially while acquiring Holland and several other companies.

Listen to constructive criticism from your employees, most of them want to help the company improve.

Job wasn't what I was lead to believe

Former Employee - Operation Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Operation Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I worked at Holland full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Pay and benefits were ok

Cons

Everything......... long hrs. no break, no set time that your shift will end

Spend more time training your employees, and give all of the job facts up front. Don't hire someone just b/c you need the position filled.

Run and Run Fastttttt

Current Employee - Linehaul Driver Open Board in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Linehaul Driver Open Board in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Holland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid anthem blue cross health insurance for you and your wife and kids

Cons

Junk trucks, dispatch pushes you to run illegal 6 days a week . Management writes you up for everything. Union contract is a joke with 15% giveback and 25% pension credit

Wise up or go out of business

I learned a lot and put myself through school, but never got the opportunity I was looking for.

Former Employee - Operation Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Operation Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Holland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits are great, that is about all the good I could muster up for this company

Cons

No bonus, horrible company values, and promotions non existent

Learn to treat your employees with respect that they have the same desire to move up and become apart of the team. Also hard to give bonuses when the company is on brink of bankruptcy.

Great company to work for but out of touch with daily expectations of Account Executives.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Holland full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very competitive pay. Good benefits. Car reimbursement (miles and maintenance).

Cons

Systems are archaic. After being on the road all day visiting customers in your territory you must return home and log your appointments into their mainframe. The system is slower than dial up and the least user-friendly program I've ever seen. Expectations for Account Executives are to meet 8 daily appointments with current and prospective customers. Given the vast area you cover, you are guaranteed 4-5+ hours of driving. Which makes it difficult to conduct effective appointments with your clients.

Take into account the amount of drive time an Account Executive experiences on a daily basis. Reduce the number of customer appointments to 4 or 5. Update your intranet (internal computer systems) so that logging appointments (at 7pm at night after a full day of working) does not take 1-2 hours. Lastly, provide effective training on the out of date computer systems as well as inter-organizational communication so that the employee can resolve issues in a timely manner.

Decent

Current Employee - Anonymous in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Holland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, home every night, off weekends and most holidays. Excellent crew.

Cons

Junk power and trailers. Invested in tech ( handhelds) before replacing/rebuilding worn out tractors and trailers.
    Daily bidding on runs (city) does not equate into efficiency or good customer service. We bid twice per year in start times, bidding on the runs should be eliminated.

Safety department does absolutely nothing meaningful. Local management and unions could certainly handle that job together.

Listen to your people. A lot of us really care and want to help things get better.

Holland Photos