Holland & Hart LLP Reviews

1. Review

Former Employee - Partner in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Partner in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Holland & Hart LLP

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy from the Denver office.

2. Avoid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Holland & Hart LLP full-time

Pros

Good money and downtown location.

Cons

You are not valued by management unless you are an attorney. Some of the worst, most incompetent leadership I have ever witnessed. There are people running teams that have no business being in a leadership role. Prepare to be verbally assaulted, demeaned, and don't have any expectations that your job will be what you were told it would be. I wish I would have given more credit to the other negative reviews and stayed away. By far the worst, most hostile work environment I've ever encountered.

Advice to Management

Restructure the team from the top down. Empower people to do their jobs instead of creating an atmosphere of fear and hostility. Create processes and procedures. Stick to job descriptions.

3. Stuck in the Past

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Denver, CO

I worked at Holland & Hart LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance seemed better here than at other large law firms in Denver.

Cons

The attorney's I assisted were billing the client for work that secretary's do (editing documents and letters, time making copies). That did not seem right to me. Much of the staff have worked at Holland & Hart (Denver) for decades and they are not up to date on the quickest, easiest way to get things done. Behind the times as far as software, etc. Pay was mediocre, health insurance was moving toward high-deductible only.

5. Docketing Specialist

Former Employee - Docketing Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Docketing Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Holland & Hart LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

H&H offers competitive compensation/benefits, a very friendly work environment, great supervisors and supportive and fun coworkers. I felt like the supervisors truly cared about the best interest of their employees and would go to bat for them with upper management. Overall a fantastic employer.

Cons

There is a lack of flexibility in your day to day schedule. The firm could use better facilities for employees, expanded gym, lounges, etc..

6. Overall Great company.

Current Employee - Staff in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Staff in Denver, CO

I have been working at Holland & Hart LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good Direct Supervisor is great Great company values Benefits are well rounded and higher than most companies

Cons

Stress level is high. Expect you to know everything even before trained

Unprofessional and dysfunctional firm

I worked at Holland & Hart LLP full-time

Pros

There are some great (yet few) staff people.

Cons

I have never been in an environment that is more negative and flat out crazy: attorneys' egos are inflated when they are technically considered a regional firm and no one in town knows who they are; staff could care less about the company and it shows in their behaviors and work products; laws and rules are disregarded all the time. There are some managers that are there because upper management does not want to 'deal with it' and would rather just stick anyone in middle management to pass the buck and be relieved of the problem.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff and stop being blinded by money and egos. People are truly hurting and feel trapped.

Not Great

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Holland & Hart LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prestigious company, surrounded by smart people, good vacation

Cons

The hierarchy was horrible and there was zero support for the staff. You are no one at Holland and Hart if you don't have a JD behind your name, and it still helps to be a man at that point. When I put in my two weeks notice after 5 years at the firm, the HR department actually told me to check with the attorneys to see if my last day worked for them. Lawyers would skip your annual review because it wasn't billable and HR would let it slide even though it would impact your long-term salary. You would work for 4 or 5 attorneys, but it was extremely clear that the only one that mattered was the highest ranking. There was minimal training and a ton of pressure to get it right, preserve the reputation, keep these man babies in the style they preferred. As an assistant that had a four year degree, a paralegal certificate and was half way through DU grad school, I was mostly utilized to make scans and to schedule restaurant reservations. There was zero development, it was highly competitive and the gossip amongst the attorneys was pretty ridiculous.

Advice to Management

The HR department for staff is ineffective. I completely agree with an earlier review that labeled them as cowards.

9. Positive, for the most part

Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Denver, CO

I have been working at Holland & Hart LLP part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Work is challenging -401k is great -Flexible schedule and a good work-life balance -Generous PTO

Cons

-Health benefit are incredibly poor for a company this size.

10. Support staff are NOT Stepford Wives - are as much individuals as "professional" staff.

Former Employee - Legal Secretary
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary

I worked at Holland & Hart LLP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits; excellent attorney reputations; generally staff all helpful and knowledgeable.

Cons

Too many "supervisors" -- most attorneys have no experience supervising anyone and their observations of support staff should be taken with a grain of salt -- whether the observation is positive or negative.

Terrible

Former Employee - Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Holland & Hart LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing that I can think of.

Cons

Tried to switch into the IP department. Essentially stone walled by the HR Director.

RSS Feed </> Embed