Holly Hill Hospital

2.3

Thomas Cornwall, MD

I lllll

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time

Pros

the people I work with are great and you never know what your day will bring. It feels great to help people who need assistance.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much down time. It can't be helped, but I wish there was something interesting to do with that time.

Understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm the type of person who like to help people that's in need and I felt like i accomplished that to the best of my ability when patients would tell me how i made them feel safe and how much help and caring I was during their stay.

Cons

The management didn't care if we didn't have enough staff. They never would speak when coming on units and never made you feel appreciated instead just pin pointed all the negatives and would leave units understaff. It's very stressful having 16-30 patients and only 1 tech to assist. That's ridiculous!

Hire more staff. Make staff feel appreciated.

Hospital has a one tracked mind. And that mind is making money.

Former Employee - Administrator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Administrator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The workplace is very fast paced and you are never bored. The patients are a joy to be around and helping them was the only thing that kept me there so long.

Cons

Insulting salaries, sketchy management, high turnover rate of staffing, understaffed, majority of the staff are burned out and in turn, have a negative attitude that can be very toxic. Poor morale. The only bonus you get is a Christmas turkey or ham, and a 5 dollar Target gift card on your birthday. Administration will cut corners on patient care to make more money. For example, they stopped allowing second servings at meal times, took away blankets for the lobby, and send staff home to save money even though it becomes a safety risk for patient to staff ratio. For example, a FT nurse is now considered 32 hours a week instead of the 40 that they depend on working. (even though when I left the hospital was short nearly 20 nurses)

You must show your employees that they are appreciated and compensate them fairly if you ever want to retain your staff.

Good hospital experience, difficult to be in a for-profit setting

Former Employee - Therapist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Therapist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Holly Hill is a great place to get good clinical exposure to different diagnoses and illnesses and is a great learning experience for those looking expand their knowledge of the mental health system. If you are someone who does well in a fast-paced setting and can stay on top of many simultaneous tasks, you will stand out in this job.

Cons

I did not like working for a "for profit" mental health facility. Once a patient was no longer "funded" (getting reimbursed by their insurance), I was required to send a report every day to my supervisor detailing what I was doing to get them discharged. The focus on discharge was not always clinically appropriate and was difficult to tolerate.

Holly Hill was being acquired when I left, so some things/practices may have changed.

Holly Hill Hospital Psychiatric Social Worker

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital

Pros

Good job with high experience in medical insurance model while provisionally licensed.

Cons

Insurance based length of care.
    Low ability to positively affect patient's lives.
    Inflexible management.
    Prison mentality.

Be flexible with your employees. Offer growth from within.