Hollywood Casino Aurora

Updated May 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter M. Carlino

Managers take care of subordinates; VPs take care of each other. No one takes care of the managers.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsPenn National Gaming is a great parent company to work for.

ConsPay is not based on performance. A ton of favoritism. If you are liked because of your personality, it doesn't matter if you do your job well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing all of your attention on personality and appreciate the people who work hard and do a good job.

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of my co workers made it easier to go to work.

ConsManagement does not care about you or your family. You are there to do a job and that is it. There is no work / life balance. If you have a family you are to work late all the time and live and breathe the Casino.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the people who work for the company and believe in them. You would be amazed in how much work they will give you in return.

Friendly co-workers, beware of management!

Cast Member (Current Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsMost of the hourly employees and supervisors are friendly and great to work with. They are the reason most employees still work there.

ConsPoor underqualified management.
    Management is quick with the stick slow with the carrots dispite all their talk about being pro employee.
    Managers take credit for the accomplishments of others.
    Management will not even say job well done when an employee goes above and beyond.
    Management talks about providing "A" service, but what they mean is for the front line employees to do so, it doesn't apply to them.
    Very little career advancement unless your a pet of management.
    Pay is subpar lowest in the industry.
    You say you want to follow what others in the industry are doing, so step up and pay like the rest of the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementManager really listen to your employees and customers. Don't pretend to listen and care about what they are saying and then do something entirely different. Give your employees the "A" service they deserve!
    Respect your best employees with better treatment and much better pay.
    The only reason you are still in business is that a casino is a money printing machine. If not HCA would have been out of business a long time ago.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very cutthroat

Director of Database Marketing (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsNice perks if you're a director - you can eat for free in the buffet any time; your gaming license is paid for; and nice deferred compensation program.

ConsHealth benefits are quite scant. Clearly a divide between top and bottom employees. Employees do not get paid holidays, as casino is open 7 days per week. Management can be very impatient and cutthroat. Atmosphere is distrustful.

My boss was the best.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsFor a first job this place is great.

ConsThe pay is just awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better and you will get a better group to chose from.

A Tale of Two Faces

ProsGenerally friendly staff, varied environment.

ConsManagement is under handed and avoidant of issues that face the general employees. Many managers, leads, and VPs will play fruendly until issues are brought to their attention. Upper management is only concerned with saving money and generating revenue. Human Resources employees live in the VP and Managers pockets and are for the most part unreliable with assisting employees in issues. Communication within and between departments is virtually non existant and only partially reliable when received.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be replaced. They are too stuck in their ways and will not empathize with those that work under them.

Great Place to work, but a dead end

ProsUnion - many of the positions are union based, giving employees protection from management backlash and providing medical benefits

Flexible schedules - even though most schedules go by seniority it seems that many managers are friendly and open and willing to work with employees to give the days off they need

Medical - many of the union positions provide blue cross blue shield medical benefits

Friendly atmosphere - This is the friendliest place I have ever worked. The casino is big and their are a vast number of departments. Sometimes it feels as a whole city works here. But everyone is open and works like a family, within weeks I knew everyone and felt welcomed into their community.

Tipped positions - A good number of the positions are tipped so you feel like you are getting rewarded for working harder.

ConsManagement - The supervisors and lower level management are perfect for looking after employees and knowing how operations are run but the upper level are a different story. They truly only care about the bottom line income and do will do anything to make a quick buck. They hardly ever show their faces around lower level employees and when they do it is to make changes for their benefit that messes up the whole system.

No room for advancement - If you want to stay a server or a dealer your whole, which you can make a good living at, this job is fine. It is very possible to transfer departments but in the 5 yeahs I have been around I haven't seen anyone move from a lower level position into management, but I have seen many try. They always seem to be moving people in from other casinos instead of hiring from within their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your office and interact with some of the lower level employees. If you were able to take the time to find how the dealers operate maybe you could think of changes that help business instead of hurting it.

Worked for Hollywood Casino Aurora? Contribute to the Community!