Hollywood Video

www.hollywoodvideo.com

Hollywood Video Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
Hollywood Video – US – “game day”

Hollywood Video CEO Mark Wattles

Mark Wattles

Pros
  • fun, free movie rentals, great staff, over time, great customers, could play kids movie sometimes at work, free move rentals(in 30 reviews)

• Free movie rentals and discounts, fun place to work(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • No real benefits for people over 20, cruel and anal upper management, low LOW pay(in 11 reviews)

• Low pay with lack of pay raises and lots of demand to push promotions(in 10 reviews)

Working at a Dying company.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Brentwood, CA

ProsCustomers were great, good selection of movies and games. The benefits of working at Hollywood Video were you got 3 free rentals slots as well as discount on snacks and drinks. The layout was simple. Shifts were very flexible.

ConsManagement was inept, changed focus of business from rental stores to competing with Best Buy. The stores, in my area, were run with the idea of favoritism instead of rewarding hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompeting with Best Buy and other retail stores was too ambitious, should have re-focused their business model on the local communities instead.

Entertaining

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Havertown, PA

Proswatched movies while doing basic work, great customer base, free rentals.

Consthe customers, having management coming in every other day, the fact that you have to sell magazine subscriptions to keep your job.

Advice to Senior Managementdont treat your employees like magazine hocking monkeys, and you might just get more of a positive reaction out of who works for you.

There is a reason why the company filed for bankruptcy and closed!

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-Flexible schedule
    -easy to move up
    -fun environment
    -free rentals and access to movies before they were released
    -employee discounts on games and accessories
    -great employees with a drive to succeed
    Everyday was a fun day on the job, because, as management, I made sure my team was pumped up enough to help customers and make sales. The people we would hire helped create a culture that spawned a district wide family. Everyone at the store levels knew each other and would consistently help each other out, and there was never animosity just a friendly camaraderie. I can't say I miss the friends I made there, because we still, mostly, keep in touch, but I do miss the culture we created.

ConsEverything else that has to do with the company, and it was a pain to deal with anything at the store level. I say it was a pain because they changed their minds on everything a daily basis, and it was hard to complete everything you had to do within time limits and no hours for man power. They made horrible decisions and wasted money on the simplest things like marketing signage that would sit in the back office for years never to be used. There is a reason why they went belly up, and the employees had no control over it. HR was a joke and had no real authority over the elitism in upper management positions. They found any reason to fire you if they didn't like you, and lie so you couldn't collect unemployment. The pay was lousy and for the amount of work you put in was not enough for what they asked of you, and towards the end they just didn't bother to pay certain people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

no promotions from within

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou got to rent free movies. But that's about it.

ConsPoor culture - they want Hollywood to be your whole life. Low pay, unorganized management, no promotions from within.

Great people, but low pay!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsSmall stores mean less square footage to worry about during shift. Flexible schedules, great people, easy inventory and stock management.

ConsLow pay, short on benefits. Because stores are smaller in size, fewer positions available, meaning less opportunity to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the people who actually work in and run stores as opposed to upper management who has little to no retail experience and thus no working knowledge of how the stores actually operate.

Great friends and great times talking about the things we loved...Movies

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsHung out with others that had a passion for movies and made money doing it

ConsCorp... always wanted to make our jobs harder

Advice to Senior Managementdon't close the store that was making more money

Fun environment but simple concepts were over-complicated.

Store Director (Former Employee) Valdosta, GA

ProsLoved working there because of unlimited free rentals and access to new releases before street date. The hours weren't bad either.

ConsThe store was open 365 days a year, it was hard to find someone who wanted to work on major holidays like Christmas. The Store Director job was high stress and upper management asked a lot without being appreciative of the time and effort required to maintain a profitable, well-merchandised store.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on less micromanaging.

Great

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Tualatin, OR

ProsNice environment ! Great people, good perks

ConsThe technology killed it , and red box won

A very fun place to work (my favorite job ever actually), but you never got anywhere.

Assistant Store Director (Former Employee) Marysville, WA

ProsIncredibly fun work environment, great employees, free movie and game rentals, and access to one of the largest vido libraries on the market. Decent sceduling for most employees if time off was needed. Fairly decent discounts on the purchase of videos and games.

ConsUpper management was constantly changing out, resulting in many of the upper eschelon employees not having enough experience to make informed decisions. An antiquated point of sale system made much of the work more difficult than it needed to be. A nearly complete lack of communication from upper management when issues arose often made it difficult to assist customers with the issues they had. As a manager, you were often given between two and five months to turn a store around before district managers would terminate your employment and try someone new. Average tenure of a district manager (at least in Washington) was only about a year resulting in constant and inconsistant changes of policy. Overall the company did not keep up with the times and when rentals went online, the decision was made to remain brick and mortar hoping to outlast the competition. Hiring for district manager positions and above was almost exclusivly done from outside the company essentially making Store Director the higest position available to most employees. Because of the revolving door policy with store level management, there were many times when a store would not have a manager for several weeks. A store with no direct manager would sometimes be put under the supervision of a DM or store director from elsewhere in the district, but had no direct supervision, and was simply run by a shift lead who was placed in charge temporarily. This again made it difficult for customers to resolve issues. Raises were usually only given if a promotion was involved, and were generally not available regardless of cempetency and work ethic. Money often got wasted on programs or supplies not needed at the time, or that were obsolete by the time they arrived in store (promotional advertising such as flyers and signage often arrived after the promotion had elapsed). Accounts were not linked between stores meaning that a customer had to open a new account if they went to a different store than normal, even in the same town or city.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the company went bankrupt in 2010 (I worked there from early 2006 untill the close date, and at several stores in my district), it's a little late for advice, but for an example that others may follow, here it goes...

Promoting from within the company would be a prudent course of action as it would build a loyal employee base as well as place experienced and knowledgable empolyees in posistions where critical decisions will be made. Also, for employees striving to better themselves, the opportunity to advance would be welcome as it would give them something more to strive for as opposed to topping out at bottom rung management. Staying current with modern trends and fads is also a necessity. By making the decision to remain a brick and mortar store while others are going to online venues, you alienate all those customers looking for the convenience and simplicity of in home shopping and essentially force them to go over to compeditors that are offering the programs they desire. By keeping a POS system designed in 1989, you limit the amount of data that can be collected as well as the amount of data available to employees to help assist customer demands. Linked accounts would be helpful both for debt tracking, and customer rental tracking to make suggestions more pertinant to what they like.

enjoyable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Springfield, OR

ProsHollywood Video had very good pay rates, as well as good benefits. Great to view upcoming games before the public.

ConsThe company went out of business after it bought out a failing business. To much focus and money spent on seminars when the money could have been spent to keep the business alive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHad the company focused on ways to stay competitive with the changes in media they could have had a better chance of being profitable.

Worked for Hollywood Video? Contribute to the Community!