Hollywood Video Reviews

Reset
3.3
Hollywood Video CEO Mark Wattles
Mark Wattles

Pros
  • Free movie rentals and discounts, fun place to work (in 31 reviews)

• Free movie rentals, talking about movies you love to customers (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, terrible upper management (in 11 reviews)

• No real benefits for people over 20, cruel and anal upper management, low LOW pay (in 11 reviews)

1. Was great for high school

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free movie rentals. Always up to date on releases. Could watch G / PG movies while working on weekday mornings, very chill.

Cons

Video stores aren't really around anymore. People would get angry about late fees. Had to deal with a lot of theft.

Advice to Management

Try to emulate red box and netflix to keep up with the times. It may be too late, may have already gone under.

2. What could you expect from a video store?

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free movies, and games, cool customers and co-workers, at one point a great place to work

Cons

I worked at Hollywood for five years. I joined when Vhs was still around. Due to the access of the Internet, this industry became cut throat. By the last year, we had a new store manager every month, sales were so low, we could only have one person per shift. Employees were stealing, customers were stealing. It was honestly a free for all and no one cared. I still miss working there from time to time. The pay was low. I was an assistant store manager making 7.90 while new hires were starting at 8.50 or even higher. Oh well.

Advice to Management

You messed up. Way to go

3. Pawn for upper management

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time

Pros

There were no redeeming qualities that made working here worth it, other than the recession and needing to pay bills. The entry-level staff were usually easygoing and created a nice atmosphere to work in, but everything else was awful.

Cons

Upper management didn't care about employees. Hours given per week were based on sales numbers, and if you didn't meet a quota you wouldn't be on next week's schedule. I was promised promotions that were never granted and only used to incentivize me in the mean time, as well as to give me a larger workload as "training" without having any increase in pay. You were harshly penalized for making customers angry, even when doing so simply resulted from adhering to company policy.

Advice to Management

Focus on not only pushing sales but also keeping employee morale up, fostering an environment where they are motivated and do not feel taken advantage of.

5. Nothing Spectacular

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Hollywood Video (More than a year)

Pros

Able to make our own schedule and corporate pretty much let each manager have full control of staffing and setting store, even down to concession orders

Cons

Company closed and called people at 9 p.m. in the evening to let them know they were being asked to work 2 more weeks and then left managers and store associates without instructions on how to get employment verification, pay checks, etc.

6. horrible job horrible place to work

I worked at Hollywood Video

Pros

Good movies good games and snacks

Cons

It closed because everyone was stealing

7. Not very good

Current Employee - Training Store Manager in Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Training Store Manager in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Hollywood Video

Pros

Good food for the time management

Cons

Bad management for the good food

Advice to Management

More management

8. Go discounts on movies.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movie rentals. Free game rental. Discounted used movies. Discounted used games. Discounted new movies.

Cons

Long hours. Not enough labor hours given. Not even new rental movies ordered. Not enough new games ordered. Sales goals unfair.

Advice to Management

Give more labor hours.

9. Reason they are gone

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Communication, fun place to work, good team with great people. The leaders tried hard to make it a good place to work and enjoy the team.

Cons

The leaders tried to keep every store open and not save the half of the company that could have been saved. There were a lot of stores that were extremly profitable. The problem was they had the same approach with the stores that lost money as the one that were making tons of it.....backwards thinking.

10. The Underdog Company That Satisfied the Employees and Customers

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Queens Village, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Queens Village, NY

I have been working at Hollywood Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, Customers Loved Our Store and therefore were Easy to work with, Free Rentals (DVD and Video Game), Flexible schedule

Cons

Personal Growth, Fully Staffed yet often overworked to save money

Advice to Management

Continue to respect your employees as you do, but remember to give them a chance to breathe. We were always overworked despite being full staffed because due to foot traffic, they felt only 1-2 people needed to run a store at a time when there was always difficulty closing the store when it did get busy and it did now and then.

11. It was ok

I worked at Hollywood Video

Pros

Provides an excellent opportunity to work around media that you are passionate about and to find others with shared interests and ideas. Worked with a great team. Get to talk about movies, video games

Cons

sales goals were difficult to make and there was a lot of pressure to meet those goals. The managers seemed out of touch especially the District managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed