Hollywood Video

www.hollywoodvideo.com

Hollywood Video Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
Hollywood Video – US – “game day”

Hollywood Video – US – “game day”

Hollywood Video CEO Mark Wattles

Mark Wattles

Pros
  • fun, free movie rentals, great staff, over time, great customers, could play kids movie sometimes at work, free move rentals (in 30 reviews)

• Free movie rentals and discounts, fun place to work (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • No real benefits for people over 20, cruel and anal upper management, low LOW pay (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay with lack of pay raises and lots of demand to push promotions (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Best job I ever had...I miss it every day.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people and the flexibility.

ConsLate hours and the company closed.

Customer Service Representative interview

Customer Service (Former Employee) Westwood, CA

ProsI began my first job here during college and I learned a lot in regards to how to treat customers and what daily tasks to be responsible for. I also began to take on extra duties not originally assigned to me and began to work my way upward using them as leverage for raises.

ConsI was in college at the time, and although I loved working at Hollywood Video I felt that at times since the schedule was a bit on the late side for me, as well as not having a car, I would be getting home at a very late hour and would go to sleep immediately and wake up a bit tired the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel that there could have been many more opportunities for growth and training sessions that could have propelled me faster toward management.

very great place to work

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Brookhaven, PA

Prosthe people that i had worked with and the customers

Consthere really wasnt any if i had to pick the paper work inventory

Advice to Senior Managementas long as your doing ur job and showing inprovement you cna move up the ladder quickly

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

reherg

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosawesome company loved this place

Consnone, best place to work

Advice to Senior Managementstay in busines

Loved working there

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) King City, OR

ProsThe amazing people I got to work with.

ConsThe hours weren't the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't go bankrupt.

Great friends and great times talking about the things we loved...Movies

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsHung out with others that had a passion for movies and made money doing it

ConsCorp... always wanted to make our jobs harder

Advice to Senior Managementdon't close the store that was making more money

Easy JOb

ProsHours are good, job is easy, customers aren't difficult, an overrall fun job.

ConsToo corporate, pay isn't all that amazing and regional staff is a bit robotic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the entire staff better and you will see better sales results. Keep the employees happy and the business will strive.

District Manager

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEntertainment is the industry. How can it not be the best place to work. It is fun, you meet new people you have a job that is rewarding within the community in which you live. The CEO is really in tune to the field and truely cares about the people who work on the front lines.

ConsThe economy has hit some of our stores a little harder than I would like to see, but I have faith that will all be changing soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, coaching, role playing and making it happen in every single store in every single town.

Hollywood Video was a fun place to work

Store Director (Former Employee) Cerritos, CA

ProsIt was a fun job. The customers were usually happy to be there and you get to talk to people about movies and video games all day. I also loved the intimacy of the stores because they were small (usually only 12 to 15 people worked in each one)

ConsIf you start at the bottom (customer service representative) it is much harder to be promoted past the store level. I became a manager very quickly but it was rare for people who were internally promoted to extend into district positions and beyond. They also payed external hires for the same position much more than people who were internally promoted and had much more experience with the company. Basically they preferred to have another company develop their talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are interviewing for a store director position, ask for a high starting rate (17 to 20 dollars per hour) because your annual raises wont be very high (unless they have changed their pay structure since I left)

Excellent regional management.

Shift Leader (Former Employee) Antioch, CA

ProsQuite easy to get promoted if you do a fairly decent job. Benefits are now offered to part-time employees. The job is quite easy but requires much more upselling than years previous.

ConsCustomer complaints and labor problems are by far the most annoying. Corporate isn't very bright and many changes haven't been thought of at the store level. It might look good on paper, but it will never be executed properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees who actually interact with the customers - they deal with them on a daily basis. The store employees understand what works and what doesn't.

Worked for Hollywood Video? Contribute to the Community!