Hologic

Hologic Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Hologic President & CEO Steve MacMillan

Steve MacMillan

Pros
  • Lots of smart employees, reasonable work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Decent pay, work/life balance, short drive to work(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Now that there was just a shake-up of upper management, I see little hope for the future(in 7 reviews)

• Virtually all upper management are white males(in 3 reviews)

Review of Hologic

Diagnostic Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe company is doing great things in the women's health space
    Corporate culture is good - very little micromanagement
    Company stays out of the slander of other companies and competitors products - stick to the science

Conscurrently on a slow growth trajectory and slow advancement opportunities as result
    just enough corporate culture to make things slow
    New Ceo -- not sure where we stand with him

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pipeline for new products. Don't stop innovating.

"Great place to work."

Production/Assembly (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Pros"Company produce outstanding products that make a difference in women's lives. Being able to work with people that have the desire and passion who care is great.

Cons" Need more career opportunities.

Advice to Senior Management"need more female managers"

Too many politics and bad management

QA/RA Analyst (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsStable job and nice people if you stay in a right group.

ConsToo much politics! Not that great benefits, and it increases every year. More employees are disappointed at the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview employee performance fairly

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New CEO - headed in the right direction - Morale is still low

ProsGreat people within departments, new CEO is taking the company in the right direction, lots of opportunity since the acquisition shuffled senior management around.

ConsHorrible benefits for 2014/2015, got rid of the bonus structure Gen-Probe had in place, communication between departments can be stressful at times, no company activities

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back decent benefits, do something to increase morale

Not living up to its potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging, fast paced environment on the mammo side of the business. Loved the technology, its implementation and its impact on the mission.

ConsToo much of a mom and pop type of operation, rather than a huge corporation that adheres to its guidelines. Lack of opportunities for personal growth and no training provided to ensure employees growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove compensation for directors/managers based on savings. IE manager budgets X amount of dollars annually but spends 0 on their employees. This savings is rewarded for the directors and managers at the expense of stagnating employees and making them less valuable to the company. While trying to advance within the company on two occasions was basically treated as a square filler in order to promote a "buddy" rather than the best qualified individual - HR needs to ensure all applicants are treated 100% fairly.

Timid managers, siloed departments engaged in turf wars

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe company attracts some good people who care about the work and it's nice being around others who have a sense of mission about the work being done.
    Company processes are well-established and consistent, and production is quality-oriented. There is a very real sense of shared responsibility and that everyone fits into the pattern.
    The benefits are pretty good considering the rest of the industry, although salaries have historically been on the low side for the areas of the country that the company operates in.

ConsManagement is extremely timid, there is a palpable fear of failure culture. The reactionary and combative environment about who gets to be responsible for what budget really hurts some projects in the long run. There is an us vs. them mentality that exists between departments and even among project teams, where progress and problem-solving ideas are jealously guarded from other teams for fear of not being standout or I don't know what.
    Employee development is practically non-existent. People get pigeonholed early, and roles get associated with personalities rather than skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome departments feel threatened or under attack by other departments, which shows to me a failure of leadership at certain high levels. I don't know specifically what the issue is there, whether it's playing one department off another or good cop/bad cop negotiation, but something is going on to cause such adolescent behavior. My advice is to stop playing such games.

Good products, OK company GYN surgical needs leaders and stability.

GYN Surgical Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGood products, NovaSure Sells itself, MyoSure works as advertised. Certain markets are flat or shrinking. They are still trying to get the business corrected from all the "product dumps" reps would do to make their number each Qtr.

ConsManagers are "bullies"..motivate through fear and intimidation. The team concept is not there at all.

Thank God for the much needed leadership chage!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsGreat new CEO. Gone is the old regime that ran this great company into the ground. Really good products. Exciting to have MacMillan and his stellar track record as part of our company. Hope he does for us what he did at Strker.

ConsCompany in flux. No stability in leadership. Never listened to employees in the past. You only got promoted if you were Jacks buddy. Complete joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a consistent message. Care what the employees have to say. Promote from within and educate your people.

Started pretty good, then all downhill

Developer (Former Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsThe users were great to work with. Most of them were professional and knowledgeable.

ConsGood ole' boys network. Management treat their employees as idiots that need to be micromanaged. There is NO out-of-the-box thinking. Everything is 'it worked before so we shouldn't change anything.' Now that there was just a shake-up of upper management, I see little hope for the future. Maybe someone will come along and buy them and keep the good people and toss everything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the employees - not just the directors and managers. Make sure they understand your direction. YOU may know it, but nobody else does.

Better as Cytyc, but still ok

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsStill has great products and some good middle management.

ConsUpper Management is less than stellar.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeading in a better direction now that Jack is gone! He was seriously unprofessional and possesses very little self-awareness. I was mortified by his behavior.

Worked for Hologic? Contribute to the Community!