Holt Renfrew

Holt Renfrew Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Mark Derbyshire

Both satisfactory and unsatisfactory

ProsGood relationships and culture within company

ConsUnfair compensation based on level of education and experience. Some are extremely lucky, some are extremely degraded.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust re-align the salary ranges with relevant education and background experience in mind!

A nice experience meeting interesting people.

ProsInteracting with notable members of Vancouver society allows for a fairly nice chance to network.

ConsHard sales targets results in a stressful and competitive work environment. However, this is by far the best retail job I've had.

Politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat discount. Friendly people. Trying to do the right things for customers and staff.

ConsAs nice as the people are, there is an expected superficiality. Politics. Some of the Management team is great and are savvy. The store manager (former) based decisions on instinct and emotion only. Made life difficult and ultimately a dissatisfying experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the greatest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood discounts

ConsNot a lot of advancement

come in and get out

Prosgood discounts and benefits
    lots of incentives
    know how to have fun sometimes
    contests, draws

Consbackstabbing, disputes, and arguments occur between coworkers alot
    lots of stress on making numbers and CVS scores
    newest items distributed unfairly often goes to top seller

Advice to Senior Managementdon't cut hours when company doesn't make plan
    treat employees with respect
    try building long term relationship with employees

Not what you would expect

Stock Movement (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDiscount on brands, and even that is going away slowly.

Best pro making connections to the leased brand to get a position there.

ConsPoor training, when i was hired they put me into the position and basically told me to hand it (that was interesting Christmas for me) .

High turnover of management and employee, resulting in a brain drain.

A lot of knowledge of how to do things are lost, and many mistakes are made, making the customer suffer the most and ultimately the company.

High level politics, better off working in Walmart has less politics, trust me I worked there.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek better training programs for all new employees from managers to stock

Not sure how to fix the politics part, but i personally think with a better training program many problems can be solved, one step at a time.

I fear for my job as Nordstrom and Sax are coming, from research they do not employ stock associates; out look for myself does not look good.

Nice store bad pressure

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsNice looking store and customers keep you busy

ConsToo much pressure put on you to reach sales quotas

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people

Cut-throat doesn't even cover it

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsHolt Renfrew is a great place to put on your resume. Especially when you plan on being in the luxury goods field. As a sales associate, you get lots of knowledge about all facets of luxury goods including production, materials, brand history and sales techniques.

ConsThe management team was so overwhelmed with meeting target sales they would use scare tactics to provoke their employees to increase their sales. No thought was given to the amount of traffic a particular department would get, or perhaps that particular employee's experience level. The atmosphere was one of intense competition - even to the point of employees fighting out in the open about "stealing" clients and sales. You would constantly see employees undermine their co-workers, and most of this was ignored by management. I would no wish my worst enemy to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on your management team - the more you put on them, it increases ten fold each level down the chain you go. It's no wonder your business has such high turn-over.

Eaton's in the making

Sales (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros- Decent compensation if you sell over $1million
    - Great employee discount

Cons- Constant stress to maintain or exceed sales target
    - Backstabbing, dirty tricks, gossipy environment
    - Clueless managers

Sharpen your elbows

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsDiscount
    Health plan
    Basically your own schedule and come and go as you please.

ConsNo job stability
    Leave your morals and ethics at the door if you want to survive
    All for one mentality, teamwork is a dirty word. Management will approach you to say you aren't helping your own customer.
    Work schedules are useless, people will start and finish as they please to make their commissions.
    Get ready to answer "how much are you going to sell today?" at the beginning of every shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementFunny how quickly the word union was forgotten. Turn over the staff that started it all.

Worked for Holt Renfrew? Contribute to the Community!