Home Care Delivered

Add Photos

Gordon Fox

It was OK

I worked at Home Care Delivered full-time for less than a year

ProsThe coworkers were some of the most helpful people. I enjoyed helping customers. I liked the challenge of the work at times.

ConsToo much emphasis on metrics and paperwork time. Lack of product choice for customers and getting rid of products that customers liked for unknown reasons. Lack of training on products and conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication about changes is needed. More training on products is needed.

A career with HCD allows the opportunity to improve the quality of life of the customers we serve each day.

I have been working at Home Care Delivered full-time

ProsGreat job close to home. Great benefits. Opportunities for growth if you are willing to keep a positive attitude, work hard, and remain focused. The opportunity to provide customers/caregivers with the supplies they need (for some tough conditions) to improve the quality of life for themselves or their loved ones. The opportunity to help others makes you thankful every day for good health and the things that we often take for granted each day.

ConsLack of communication concerning changes. Unhappy customers due to lack of choices in providers, products, and delivery issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication is essential.

worst experience ever

I worked at Home Care Delivered full-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers and most of the patients. Co-workers are just like family

ConsOverworked beyond the point that you feel you have to quit. Providing poor service to patients due to: no paperwork time in between calls, causing staff to rush instead of listening to the patients and what they need, the unnecessary emails about "calls holding", and very limited training time on products and conditions. In order to run a successful call center you need an inbound center to go along with the outbound center. Taking on bids with not enough staff in place to service those needs. Expecting people to work not only their work but to also expect them to do the work of others when they are out sick or on vacation causing a back load of work and a disservice to the patients.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe owner and ceo need to revamp their upper management team and start over, then actually sit down one on one with the employees and value what they have to say with out a threat of being fired.

Terrible Job Experience

Patient Services Representative (Former Employee)
Clarksville, VA

I worked at Home Care Delivered full-time

ProsThe pay is decent and incentives or occasional competitions are nice.

ConsI became number one in selling products after just two months and that is where the problems started! The management was threatened is all I can guess. They promote people to be managers that haven't ever managed a person in their life! People are constantly in fear of losing their job. In training, you are told that you can go to HR with any concerns. That is totally wrong! Went to HR and my work life was total HELL. I LOVED what I did and was great at it. Would love to have the same exact job under different circumstances. But, the stress of coming to work in constant fear of your job is totally not worth it!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the fact that some of your highest performing employees have either quit or been fired in the past year. There is something wrong with that! Your managers are firing people that threaten "outing" them as horrible managers.

This place evokes sad chuckles rather than laughs !

Sales (Current Employee)
Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Home Care Delivered full-time for more than a year

ProsFree lunches and awesome co-workers

ConsUnrealistic metrics based on "fear type management", i.e.; no matter how hard you work or how great your performance: you will never be recognized BUT you will be held to an unreasonable level of performance and held in constant fear for your job.
16 people have resigned and or been fired just in 2013 alone.
Cheerless gloom and doom environment where drama reigns and any congeniality is thwarted and killed. Akin to working in a sweat shop with slave labor mentality. Add in the "mean girls" and you have company endorsed harassment at every step. Don't even think about going to HR as what should be investigated is quickly shut down by the tyrant CFO who instead of doing his job is too busy monitoring the conversations of the sales department and then issuing admonishing emails that kill any incentive or feelings of accomplishment.
Don't get sick as there are zero paid sick days. Forced to use your PTO or not get paid for the day.
Total lack of credible leadership as it is easier to rely on "bully" tactics to keep employee's in line.
Obsession with metrics, daily, weekly, monthly and hourly. Commissions based on another department and totally outside of your control. Commissions are a joke and there is no incentive to even make your numbers.
Their view is, you as the employee are the sum of their numerical goals and all meant to create a fear based culture. Very unhealthy organization headed by a tyrannical CFO. Information is closely guarded and hoarded with restrictive rules and policies that create mistrust.
Getting through a typical day requires a focus on keeping ones head down, taking no risks
and sucking up to anyone in management and belies that this organization is soulless.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps if you got rid of the BS fear type management that imposes unrealistic performance metrics based on the CFO 's failed vision to lead, you might have a beginning with actually living up to the companies motto of "the best place to work in Virginia".
STOP the micro management and fear based tactics.
Deploy sensible performance goals. Get rid of the ridiculous talk time metric which is utterly useless and in no way relates to job performance but instead is used as a weapon and held over employee's head to toe the line.
Get rid of the brown nosers and stop the favoritism. Any credibility a supervisor or manager had is completely gone as well as any respect they might have had, had this type of behavior been discouraged and or stopped.
Stop rewarding and promoting the least knowledgeable but most fawning ones in the org chart and get rid of the yes people.
You're losing your best talent and market share to other companies who have a trust based culture. Duh Mark!
Stop repackaging old programs that didn't work before and won't work now. Where is the creativity?
Stop the distrust and knife in your back mentality where backstabbers thrive.........

The good reviews are posted from Senior Management themselves

I worked at Home Care Delivered full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people to work with, usually. Good location to go out and get lunch.

ConsPoor compensation. Huge ego executive running 95% of the company. No one stands up to him and he gets to do whatever he wants, no matter if he is right or wrong. If you're not in the CFOs pocket, you don't matter. Good employees get fired or quit because they don't want to work for him.

Not to mention, the good reviews of this company were obviously written by a member of the executive team. The pros they wrote down aren't actually things we care about. No one cares about a trophy when the executives don't respect anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about who's hands you put your company in.

Worst place to work in VA

Doesn (Former Employee)

I worked at Home Care Delivered full-time

ProsOnly Pro is the people you get to work with that feel the same way you do about the cons.

ConsYou are set up for failure with ridiculous expectations while not receiving proper training or communication along the way. Very unorganized. Managers are micro-managed to the max, no room for ideas or suggestions, no ability to get PTO without begging for it, unable to reach anyone for help, constant coaching or reprimanding for making a mistake you were never trained on. Your supervisor was hired from the outside and does not know how to do the job that they need to help you to do. Verbal abuse by the customers for mistakes others made is a constant and supervisors are not willing to help. You will be watched like a hawk in your performance, your computer will be monitored, you will not be allowed to speak to co-workers and if you do, you may receive a call directly from the CEO who will talk to you like a child. You will be over-extended. HR is not there for employees, only to protect the corrupt upper management's crooked decisions and keep them under wrap. Owner Gordy Fox means well but has no idea that his management team is screwing him by making terrible decisions. Upper management in this company does not know the difference between what they can and cannot say/do. The rules are made up by upper management as issues come up and change to benefit the favorites of upper management. If you are fake and pretend to like upper management, you will do well. If you are good at your job, you will become a threat and your job is no longer stable. No incentives. All jobs available do not allow any down time, you are timed unrealistically, and the jobs are highly stressful when you have no help, training, or direction. You will indirectly be forced to sacrifice quality in all regards to have high productivity. If you have feelings, personal morals, self respect, or an inability to be treated very badly, do not apply with this company. You will only be a replacement for someone who is happy to be free from such terrible working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reading emails and accepting phone calls from the managers that run the departments, listen to their ideas, include them in meetings pertaining to their respective department, stop micro-managing every detail of the company when you are not on the "floor" to see what is actually going on. Stop having lunches and cookouts to buy the employees respect-it does not work. Treat the employees better. Praise them for their hard work instead of looking at a number and assuming they did not work hard. And finally, sit on the phone for 8 hours and then hold a meeting about new expectations after you have re-calculated what is realistic and what isn't. It will be clear to you after you have accomplished that, IF you can pull it off.

Trained seal that is offered small tidbits as rewards

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Home Care Delivered full-time for more than a year

ProsMedical sales experience and coworkers. Really nice group of people but the nepotism is astounding. People in the favored group get passes while the rest of us bust our butts to complete outrageous levels of what is expected. Morale buster to see "favored" employee's get a pass on monthly quotas, consistently late or a no show and yet they get rewarded based on brown nosing.

ConsHorrible middle and upper management-make you feel that you are not valued and you better accept it or you can leave. Best advice is to keep your head down, do your work and do not get caught up in the drama that surrounds the favored ones. First job in my career where I felt my work was similar to what slavery must feel like-it is demoralizing and depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the favoritism-it's very obvious that if you work hard you will be passed over by the people who produce substandard efforts. People leaving due to no real ability to move forward unless you are in the circle of liked or worked with them before.

Wish I never set my foot there

I worked at Home Care Delivered full-time for less than a year

ProsMet a few nice people who happened to work there

ConsToo many to share...
A dictator in upper management who takes micromanagement to another level!
Promise of training that never materialized...
Work your butt off and as a reward you'll get terminated one day, sooner rather than later, under a pretense so ridiculous that it's hard to imagine. Employees are not a valuable commodity there, so beware!
Poor pay, ever changing employee policy.
That paid in full insurance plan - yeah, right, a high-deductible plan you wouldn't wish to your worst enemy.
You may really want to consider if you voluntarily want to start working there!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO had a good idea once upon a time but the company as it is is not what it claims to be!

Respect your career enough to seek employment elsewhere

Richmond, VA

I have been working at Home Care Delivered full-time for more than a year

ProsLocation will offer good lunch options; You will be able to marginally pay your bills; you may learn enough about the industry to move on and ply your trade elsewhere; you won't be alone in the poor treatment that you receive

Cons-Ever changing compensation plans
-Human resources does not offer a viable/trustworthy avenue for resolution in most cases
-Collegiality is often discouraged
-Fear based management from C-level executives
-Non Existent Culture combined with a negative perception of salespeople
-Consistent threats of job loss during meetings
-Minimal opportunity for promotion in most departments
-Revolving door within certain segments of management prohibiting personal improvement for the team
-Challenge-Termination methodology: Challenge the system, even in the most positive ways and risk termination

The cons create a master thesis in Organizational Mismanagement so I'll stop here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't provide advice to people that believe their own lies (see their 5 star reviews).

Worked for Home Care Delivered? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Care Delivered reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Home Care Delivered CEO Gordon Fox. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Home Care Delivered employees.