Home Depot Canada

Be The First To
Add Photos

Home Depot Canada President Bill Lennie

Bill Lennie

Pros
  • Part time extended medical package(in 13 reviews)

• good culture good people good worklife(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Even if you are very hard working promotion chances are very slim and also getting a full time job(in 12 reviews)

• The work load can be overwhelming and there are often limited hours for part time employees(in 12 reviews)

120 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company for part time students

Specialty Sales Associate (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsVery considerate of school demands
    Tuition reimbursement program
    Very "corporate" in nature, there are formal processes for almost everything
    You learn quite a bit as training is very good

ConsLow compensation and very small raises
    Not very much recognition for good work (depends on your supervisor)
    Job is political and there are many cut-throats (for lack of a better word)

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better career opportunities for students who are graduating from business. I am a very good student and would love to continue my career at Home Depot, but unfortunately there are very few corporate level jobs in Canada (if any) and few opportunities for Canadians to go to the head office in Atlanta.

disappointing, bottom line driven at all costs to employees.

Sales Associate II (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Prosworking with other employees and the Pk web training.

Consmanagement not well trained and have no idea how to develop employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with all Associates directly in a meaningful and genuine way. Doing it for the business is not always -the right thing to do. People matter. Where was the support for employees.

Great people, typical corporation

Sals Associate (Current Employee) Victoria, BC (Canada)

ProsDid not have to work cash as a sales associate, advancement potential, tend to hire really nice people to work with, benefits.

Consattaining full time hours without becoming a manager is pretty much impossible, store managers can be good but regional manager is an idiot, scheduling is done by computers and is based around sales figures meaning there are a lot of times when you will be very understaffed with a lot of angry customers.

Advice to Senior Managementsaving money on hours is an easy way out but you sacrifice customer service. You will say that you don't get feedback like this from customers but this is the reality as someone who saw it first hand on many shifts. Get your stocking and loss prevention issues sorted out to save money and give full time positions out to those who deserve them. Had I been able to get full time without going DS I would have stayed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do what is in sop and you will get ahead along with the manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Barrie, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pay, great benfits, sick time and vacation time great.

ConsFavortism is really blatant in the store, and it you do not do what is told they will target you.
    Management should be changed from the Store manager to asm's to another location.
    Asm's along with supervisors should not be allowed to promote in their home store this will cut down on any problems with associates and provides a opportunity to strart fresh.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the Store Managers to appreciate and treat the associates that work hard just like they treat their asm's

Home Depot Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThey walk the talk when it comes to living up to their committment to providing employees with a great place to work. The store leadership truly cares about the staff, customers and suppliers. The Home Depot has a very extensive training program and all training is paid.

ConsThe pay is not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide new hires with more training time before beginning their respective roles.There is ample training offered, however it can take a month or two to get trained on systems and product knowledge. Having this training done initially will provide better customer service as associates will have a better understanding of the products and processes.

Good company with a bright future.

Department Supervisor (Services/Installs/Millworks) (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe store was more like a family. Everybody was friendly and took care of each other. Training provided in the beginning was good and helped prepare you for your position. Everybody had a chance to move up with the company if they wished to and was treated fairly. I was with the company 10 years and moved my way up the ranks. The pay was good as well as the benefits. Better then most places in the area.

ConsUpper Management was sometimes unfair. The new scheduling did not work for a retail environment and should only be used as a guideline as it affects customer service and focus. It also provided a very wild and scattered weird hours that did not match customer volumes and requests. Upper management can vary from store to store. Upper management would be moved around 2 years so went through many managers over time with no problems. The reason I am not longer with the company is the store had a whole new ASM and SM team just put into place which did not provide any support for any of the staff there and people were targeted, including me. This was not good as this store was #1 multiple times in a row. (Obviously we knew what we were doing and proved it worked) It is affecting the moral and ability for staff to assist customers. Sadly the store will never be the same as it was all these years.

Past perks that should be brought back are the friends and family 10%. They were taken away as a way to cut back due to the economy but would be a great way to encourage growth. As new programs got introduced, training was poorly done. It assumed you had knowledge of the old system.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be checked at all the stores. There are some good ones but also bad ones still out there causing mischief. Too much focus on numbers game is affecting the store from being able to focus on the true task of taking care of the customers and provide customer service. Stop the targeting of associates and help encourage. Don't overload the supervisors with many departments and no time to run them as they are constant floor coverage. Too much focus on the negative in the stores.

Excellent

Kitchen Designer (Current Employee)

ProsPotential for growth and developing both in the work place and in personal life

ConsBeing in a specialty department and not being able to provide similar services that other stores offer because of HD policies

Great people

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsHigh turnover but less than most retailers

fantastic place to work

Department Sup (Current Employee) Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Prosworking as a team , with full support

Consworking off set shift hours

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the fantastic support , that's what makes us a great team

Great company to work for

IT Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexible working hours, success sharing, 3 weeks of vacations for every associate, and higher than market pay

ConsPrevious store experience is a major factor in progression

Worked for Home Depot Canada? Contribute to the Community!