Home Depot Canada

Be The First To
Add Photos

Home Depot Canada President Bill Lennie

Bill Lennie

Pros:
  • "Great part time or full time seasonal job opportunities"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Great benefits,vacations time, sick time and safety"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even if you are very hard working promotion chances are very slim and also getting a full time job"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The work load can be overwhelming and there are often limited hours for part time employees"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good part time job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Edmonton, KY

ProsThis was a part time time job for me so I didn't take it too seriously. The work schedule was pertty fair and if I needed a day off it was usually accomodated. My Manager was pretty easy going and I felt comfortable talking to him about issues I was facing (other employees, work schedule, tasks, etc).

Having the opportunity to work in different departments and learn new skills and develop knowledge about all the different products was most interesting to me.

Formal and informal staff events were fun even with such a diverse group of people working at the Home Depot.

ConsStarting a work shift early in the morning was the one thing I liked the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't have much exposure to Senior Management so I can't really comment on this. My direct Manager treated me well.

Night shift

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly people, well most the time. The management can play favorites at times and will assign the easiest tasks to those who have seniority.

ConsA lot of overtime, with low pay. If you're new, they will assign you to the hardest tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Certainly not the best.

Returns Cashier (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe occasional friendly person whom you're able to make their day by helping them.

ConsCustomers are more often than not rude. Steel-toed shoes while behind the front desk make little sense. Very particular dress code, although SR Mgt does not follow. PT pay does not go up with min. wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementFavoritism will get you nowhere.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Home Depot Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThey walk the talk when it comes to living up to their committment to providing employees with a great place to work. The store leadership truly cares about the staff, customers and suppliers. The Home Depot has a very extensive training program and all training is paid.

ConsThe pay is not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide new hires with more training time before beginning their respective roles.There is ample training offered, however it can take a month or two to get trained on systems and product knowledge. Having this training done initially will provide better customer service as associates will have a better understanding of the products and processes.

Good company with a bright future.

Department Supervisor (Services/Installs/Millworks) (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe store was more like a family. Everybody was friendly and took care of each other. Training provided in the beginning was good and helped prepare you for your position. Everybody had a chance to move up with the company if they wished to and was treated fairly. I was with the company 10 years and moved my way up the ranks. The pay was good as well as the benefits. Better then most places in the area.

ConsUpper Management was sometimes unfair. The new scheduling did not work for a retail environment and should only be used as a guideline as it affects customer service and focus. It also provided a very wild and scattered weird hours that did not match customer volumes and requests. Upper management can vary from store to store. Upper management would be moved around 2 years so went through many managers over time with no problems. The reason I am not longer with the company is the store had a whole new ASM and SM team just put into place which did not provide any support for any of the staff there and people were targeted, including me. This was not good as this store was #1 multiple times in a row. (Obviously we knew what we were doing and proved it worked) It is affecting the moral and ability for staff to assist customers. Sadly the store will never be the same as it was all these years.

Past perks that should be brought back are the friends and family 10%. They were taken away as a way to cut back due to the economy but would be a great way to encourage growth. As new programs got introduced, training was poorly done. It assumed you had knowledge of the old system.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be checked at all the stores. There are some good ones but also bad ones still out there causing mischief. Too much focus on numbers game is affecting the store from being able to focus on the true task of taking care of the customers and provide customer service. Stop the targeting of associates and help encourage. Don't overload the supervisors with many departments and no time to run them as they are constant floor coverage. Too much focus on the negative in the stores.

Excellent

Kitchen Designer (Current Employee)

ProsPotential for growth and developing both in the work place and in personal life

ConsBeing in a specialty department and not being able to provide similar services that other stores offer because of HD policies

Great people

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsHigh turnover but less than most retailers

Do what is in sop and you will get ahead along with the manager

Barrie, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pay, great benfits, sick time and vacation time great.

ConsFavortism is really blatant in the store, and it you do not do what is told they will target you.
    Management should be changed from the Store manager to asm's to another location.
    Asm's along with supervisors should not be allowed to promote in their home store this will cut down on any problems with associates and provides a opportunity to strart fresh.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the Store Managers to appreciate and treat the associates that work hard just like they treat their asm's

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe managers are usually pretty nice
    Rewarded for hard work sometimes

ConsOdd hours for part time employees

fantastic place to work

Department Sup (Current Employee)
    Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Prosworking as a team , with full support

Consworking off set shift hours

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the fantastic support , that's what makes us a great team

Worked for Home Depot Canada? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot Canada reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Home Depot Canada CEO Bill Lennie. All 147 reviews posted anonymously by Home Depot Canada employees.