Home Depot Canada

Be The First To
Add Photos

Home Depot Canada President Bill Lennie

Bill Lennie

Pros
  • Part time extended medical package(in 13 reviews)

• good culture good people good worklife(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Even if you are very hard working promotion chances are very slim and also getting a full time job(in 12 reviews)

• The work load can be overwhelming and there are often limited hours for part time employees(in 12 reviews)

Terrible Attendance Policy

ProsBenefits is about it. HD is just another Wal-Mart.

ConsAnythings in regards to treating people like you would want to be treated.Terrible Attendance Policy. They look at a report every six months, then discipline you.....or fire you. You may have been late a couple times 5 months ago, then they write you up. How can anyone dispute what happened 5 months ago? Shouldn't these issues be addressed with-in a week or two?

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember how you got here! It was through your people.
    Remember how Lowes caught you! You forgot about your people. Mr. Blake, THD is doing it again!

ok, but as a back up

ProsStable job, easy to make money at

ConsNo real growth potential, no training and no funding of social events

Night shift

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly people, well most the time. The management can play favorites at times and will assign the easiest tasks to those who have seniority.

ConsA lot of overtime, with low pay. If you're new, they will assign you to the hardest tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good part time job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Edmonton, KY

ProsThis was a part time time job for me so I didn't take it too seriously. The work schedule was pertty fair and if I needed a day off it was usually accomodated. My Manager was pretty easy going and I felt comfortable talking to him about issues I was facing (other employees, work schedule, tasks, etc).

Having the opportunity to work in different departments and learn new skills and develop knowledge about all the different products was most interesting to me.

Formal and informal staff events were fun even with such a diverse group of people working at the Home Depot.

ConsStarting a work shift early in the morning was the one thing I liked the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't have much exposure to Senior Management so I can't really comment on this. My direct Manager treated me well.

Certainly not the best.

Returns Cashier (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe occasional friendly person whom you're able to make their day by helping them.

ConsCustomers are more often than not rude. Steel-toed shoes while behind the front desk make little sense. Very particular dress code, although SR Mgt does not follow. PT pay does not go up with min. wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementFavoritism will get you nowhere.

Good company for part time students

Specialty Sales Associate (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsVery considerate of school demands
    Tuition reimbursement program
    Very "corporate" in nature, there are formal processes for almost everything
    You learn quite a bit as training is very good

ConsLow compensation and very small raises
    Not very much recognition for good work (depends on your supervisor)
    Job is political and there are many cut-throats (for lack of a better word)

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better career opportunities for students who are graduating from business. I am a very good student and would love to continue my career at Home Depot, but unfortunately there are very few corporate level jobs in Canada (if any) and few opportunities for Canadians to go to the head office in Atlanta.

Home Depot Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThey walk the talk when it comes to living up to their committment to providing employees with a great place to work. The store leadership truly cares about the staff, customers and suppliers. The Home Depot has a very extensive training program and all training is paid.

ConsThe pay is not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide new hires with more training time before beginning their respective roles.There is ample training offered, however it can take a month or two to get trained on systems and product knowledge. Having this training done initially will provide better customer service as associates will have a better understanding of the products and processes.

disappointing, bottom line driven at all costs to employees.

Sales Associate II (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Prosworking with other employees and the Pk web training.

Consmanagement not well trained and have no idea how to develop employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with all Associates directly in a meaningful and genuine way. Doing it for the business is not always -the right thing to do. People matter. Where was the support for employees.

Great people, typical corporation

Sals Associate (Current Employee) Victoria, BC (Canada)

ProsDid not have to work cash as a sales associate, advancement potential, tend to hire really nice people to work with, benefits.

Consattaining full time hours without becoming a manager is pretty much impossible, store managers can be good but regional manager is an idiot, scheduling is done by computers and is based around sales figures meaning there are a lot of times when you will be very understaffed with a lot of angry customers.

Advice to Senior Managementsaving money on hours is an easy way out but you sacrifice customer service. You will say that you don't get feedback like this from customers but this is the reality as someone who saw it first hand on many shifts. Get your stocking and loss prevention issues sorted out to save money and give full time positions out to those who deserve them. Had I been able to get full time without going DS I would have stayed.

Do what is in sop and you will get ahead along with the manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Barrie, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pay, great benfits, sick time and vacation time great.

ConsFavortism is really blatant in the store, and it you do not do what is told they will target you.
    Management should be changed from the Store manager to asm's to another location.
    Asm's along with supervisors should not be allowed to promote in their home store this will cut down on any problems with associates and provides a opportunity to strart fresh.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the Store Managers to appreciate and treat the associates that work hard just like they treat their asm's

Worked for Home Depot Canada? Contribute to the Community!