Home Depot Canada Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
211 reviews filtered by

Mixed Bag

I worked at Home Depot Canada

Pros

Great training and professional development for associates.

Cons

Poor management. Hostile, competitive work environment at head office.

2. Great environment to work in. Fun group of people like a family

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada full-time

Pros

excellent benefits, good salary for retail, great work environment,

Cons

inconsistence in management, assistant managers are competitive with each other in the same store, some do next to nothing but are highly paid which is frustrating for the associates Store manager and assistants need to be a team to create a team.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in how you manage. The message from each manager in the store should be consistent. They need to be the example to all associates. They need to be on the floor demonstrating the things they expect of the associates.

3. Flexible schedules are great for maintaining a work-life balance.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Home Depot Canada part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Organization, most associates are full of positive energy that is contagious.
    Open communication with management, supervisors and fellow associates and develop a diverse arsenal of problem solving skills.

Cons

Occasionally difficult customers. Little full-time opportunities.

5. Decent environment. Could have pay more and better hours to keep good people in the company and have sense of belonging.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn basic sales technique, Free meal at certain occasions, Some health and retirement benefits. Work can also be of some challenge in good way and time flew by fast. Good interactions between associates. Clear sales strategy and direction.

Cons

Work schedule not guaranteed sometimes 20,25,30, 35 week hours. Not recommended for someone who wants stable income. Pay is not as good compared to some retail outfits like costco, safeway or save-on-foods but not the worst. Sometimes sales targets are not reasonable on certain weeks.

Advice to Management

More refresher courses to help associate presentation constant and accurate. A better hours to long time part-time employees. Better pay grade than average for similar positions.

6. OK Job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People's experiences will vary depending on location and the management. I don't really have any "Pros" to give. Everything is just OK and nothing special. My management team is relatively accommodating to any time I need of. The pay is slightly above minimum wage which is good, I guess....

My experience is that I'm left alone to do my job and I'm rarely questioned. They call it "empowering" their associates and let them make decisions without always looking over their shoulders. This is true for the most part. My Department Supervisor is fantastic and trusts us to make good sales decisions, but I know of other DS's who are extreme micro managers. This goes back to management will determine the experience. If I could sum this job up in one word, it would be "meh..."

Cons

People are treated as expendable which is sort of (unfortunately) expected in this line of work and turnover is unreal. The hours are incredibly inconsistent and it's my biggest complaint. Scheduling is done by a computer and isn't monitored (at least well) by management which leaves gaps where no one is on the floor at some points, close/open scenarios, awkward hours (starting at quarter past or to the hour) and scattered days off. No employee discount because the company claims " we already offer the lowest prices", which often isn't the case.

Advice to Management

Increase your hiring standards and pay your people a little more. Employee retention should be a big concern and it costs a lot of money in the long run to continuously train new staff. Slightly higher wages and greater employee retention costs more in the short term, but saves the company more in the long run. These are proven facts.

Stop relying on a program to schedule shifts. The DS's should be drawing up their respective department schedules with the appropriate ASM's to monitor the DS's to make sure everything is running smoothly. It's a basic piramid structure.

Listen to your people. Just because someone only makes the minimum store wage doesn't mean they don't have valuable insight. Remember, they are the one on the floor dealing with the customers directly and you should be constantly asking for feedback. If anything else, making your staff feel important and acknowledging their work goes a long way. Too many good people slip through the cracks and end up moving on.

7. Incredible employee turnover

Current Employee - Kitchen Designer in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Kitchen Designer in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Will hire anyone with the right aditute, small incentives to keep you motivated, emediat supervisors are very approachable, leadership is trying yo be informative.

Cons

Management is difficult to approach. Incentives to small to make s difference for associates. Leadership is judgmental and plaming, training is very minimal expected to learn as you go, no understanding of family need all money.

Advice to Management

Be more approachable. Be les judgmental anf plaming ask why before you shoot. Give more meaningful training, sittong on the computer and expect to learn does n9t work .dont treat everyone the same.

8. Speciality associate

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Home Depot Canada

Pros

Good management, benefits, learning and development, room for growth,

Cons

Part time offers, very flexible, 4 hour shifts

9. Few opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Advertising/Marketing Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Advertising/Marketing Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada full-time

Pros

Good drug and dental plan. On-site gym.

Cons

Long hours. Those who are capable of getting the work done on time get more work. Poor performers are not addressed properly.

Advice to Management

Promote from within more often to improve morale. Reward loyalty.

10. A great group of people to work with, great for those looking for part time employment.

Former Employee - Kitchen Designer, Project Coordinator, Specialty Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Home Depot Canada part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, mostly busy and friendly atmosphere, and you can learn a lot. I met a lot of great friends there and it is like a big family. I would love to work here again but the pay was just not enough for a family. Part time benefits are offered which is great.

Cons

It's hard to get weekends off, and some stores are not nearly as good to work in as other stores. You can move up in the company, but it will take time and you have show that you want to do that. Pay is on par with most retail - which is not liveable income. But good for part time or second income work, etc.

Advice to Management

Work Life Balance needs to be improved, as well as pay structure (top performers should have the opportunity to get paid more and have better hours). This would increase the retention of the great employees who tend to leave for a better paying job to support their family.

11. Very entrepreneurial and aggressive. Driven to be #1. Customer focused.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Home Depot Canada full-time

Pros

Access to the senior leadership team is fairly easy (flat structure, minimal silos). Focus on the customer is a win-win.

Cons

Not concerned with the "5 Whys" (keep asking "why" something went wrong -- at least 5 times -- until it is identified, then fix it). More concerned with speed, so problems repeat and this destroys the engagement of the troops. Also, unpaid overtime, 24-hour commitment and lack of work/life balance.