Home Goods

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ken Canestrari

Pros:
  • "Very flexible hours, which was great for a part-time employee"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Clean work environment, love the contests"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "For a merchandise coordinator there is a lot asked of you for minimum wage"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Every employee does every job so you could be doing back room work without the average pay for a"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awesome Company

Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Home Goods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe hours are flexible great for college student high school student love the managment

Consnone great company and staff

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and make Todd Somers in Bloomfield Hills a DM soon

Great for starting over

I have been working at Home Goods

ProsIt's very laid back and the people are nice.

ConsPay sucks and you have to fight for your hours. There is no benefits if your working part-time and you can't get overtime.

Terrible management.

Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee)
Paramus, NJ

I worked at Home Goods part-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a very busy fast paced environment which made the day go by quickly.

ConsAs the number 1 store in the company it was so frustrating that we were always understaffed. We got so many customer complaints that the lines were too long even when we had every available cashier up front ringing. There was one night where we had a huge line and only 4 people that knew how to ring and when I spoke to the store manger about this he just shrugged. The managers don't care and don't want to do their jobs. Most of them spend their entire shifts sitting around talking in the back office while I worked my butt off for a fraction of the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more people to close, and don't expect the supervisors to do all the work for you.

Quick Job Fair Interview

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Winchester, VA

I worked at Home Goods part-time

ProsInterviewer was pleasant. Questions were pretty typical.

ConsI'm not sure if this is because they are hiring an entire team for a new store but everyone starts off part-time and at $7.30 (or $7.50?) an hour. If you do well (for an unspecified time), full time might available. By the time I was interviewed on the first day of a week long job fair, only two positions were still available, cashier and processor.

The staff are what really make this place!

Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI absolutely love my fellow coordinators! I've worked at 3 different Home Goods and each one has had such a wide range of diverse and friendly staff. My home store in CA has the best management ever. Very accommodating and wiling to work with you. They offer full time and part time and are very accommodating to your schedule. This company is doing very well so you can be sure they'll be in business for many years to come! They also have a ton of locations (and they're constantly opening new stores everywhere) and because they're also part of TJMax and Marshall's it gives you lots of opportunities to transfer should you need to.

ConsPay. Compared to a lot of other places the pay is o.k. Also, if you're working at one of the higher volume stores you definitely don't get paid enough for all the different types of work you do. You also only get 30 hours a week as a full time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look out for your hard working employees. I've seen so many amazing people who truly care and are fabulous workers leave feeling unappreciated. I believe this is a good company but unfortunately a lot of issues are getting overlooked.

Management Is Scary

Hyannis, MA

I worked at Home Goods part-time for less than a year

ProsThe only pros I can think of is that it's nearly impossible to get fired.

ConsTraining is non-existent, yet manager and assistant managers lose their patience with you because you don't know how to do something. The managers are rude to employees, snarky, and find passive aggressive ways to punish you (like "forgetting" to put you on the schedule). They often make employees cry. The employee discount is just awful at 10 percent. Constant pressure to sell TJX charge cards and ask for donations to charity from every single customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to be retrained or find another profession as this one is obviously boring you to death. Stop saying rude, personal, and cruel things to your employees. If you have a problem with someone's performance, just come and tell them in a normal tone of voice, don't make a cruel joke out of it. You're making even the customers uncomfortable.

Love The Job - Could use more hours.

Merchandising Coordinator (Current Employee)
Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for more than a year

ProsClean work environment, love the contests!

ConsCould use more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your hard working employees.

Not bad for being retail

Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros-Great coworkers, have made friends here
-Management is helpful and listens to feedback
-Schedule is flexible, they work with your availability
-Always something to do, never bored
-Never have to work too late, we close at 9:30pm and are usually out by 10:00
-Yearly raises, not huge increases in pay but a considerable amount
-Paid weekly
-Parties are thrown often for good customer feedback and reaching sales goals
-Promote from within the company

Cons-Store manager is hardly there which is both good and bad. Employees prefer the assistant managers. They are much nicer/laid back.
-Not paid enough for the amount of work they expect of you
-Customers continuously wreck the store and ask for discounts on most merchandise
-Full time isn't really full time. I usually accumulate about 32-37 hours a week
-Part time employees come and go, people tend to not stick around
-Store manager and assistant managers do not communicate very well to one another
-Push store credit cards

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure employees feel as comfortable with store managers as they do the assistant managers. I understand that someone of more authority is going to be a little more intimidating, but being belittled and talked down to by your employer is unacceptable.

Not bad to work for but pay is not very good.

Loss Prevention/Customer Service (Current Employee)
Rockville, MD

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are a good amount of opportunities for growth with the company if you are a hard worker. The company is growing and has a good business model for future growth.

ConsWorking for a large corporation has its challenges. There is a very specific way to do things so there is little room for independent thinking. New ideas take a lot of time to put in place if they are accepted at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is a key. Managers lose the little things that are important for the well being of the associates. The associates are the driving force in the stores. Employees need to speak and have a good understanding of English otherwise trying to get things done is almost impossible.

one of the worst place to work for

Princeton, NJ

I worked at Home Goods part-time for less than a year

Prosnice co workers, nice managers, flexible scheduling, fun place to work

Consway tooo much work in a short amount of time, not too many hours of work, low pay

Advice to Senior Managementraise wages, dont make us work like slaves

Worked for Home Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Goods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Home Goods CEO Ken Canestrari. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by Home Goods employees.