Home Goods

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ken Canestrari

Pros
  • They offer full time and part time and are very accommodating to your schedule(in 6 reviews)

• incentives, good benifits( providing you're a full-time employee), great work environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • For a merchandise coordinator there is a lot asked of you for minimum wage(in 18 reviews)

• Extremely low pay for the inordinate amount of work expected(in 10 reviews)

My Working Experience at HomeGoods

Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) Pearland, TX

ProsThere are many reasons why HomeGoods is the perfect retail job. For one I have consistent working hours that never change unless i'm need earlier than my scheduled time. Its also a great for getting merchandising skills that could be helpful when applying for other retail job. They also reward there associates with gifts and gift cards.

ConsThe starting pay is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think we have the perfect management team.

Good summer job, Should not be a long time career unless manager.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers are very friendly, willing to help others out, a majority of the coordinators are not stuck up and are actually nice. Flexible schedule. 45 minute lunch if you work a shift longer than 6 and half hours.

ConsThe amount of pay one gets for the massive amount of job responsibilities one has as a Sales Associate. Minimum wage for cashiering, carrying out furniture, assembling furniture, merchandising, carrying things for customers, taking phone calls, calling like 5 other HomeGoods for a customer to look for a specific item, organizing/recovery, processing returns, emptying "tanks"(rolling shelves of products), etc etc. While HomeGoods has about 15 billion dollars in profit every year, they should compensate the employees that make it possible. I guess the company is greedy enough to only give employees a 10% discount. Have to request days off 2 weeks in advance. Cashiers are blamed for item voids(taking an item off a total after having scanned it) when it really is the customers' indecisiveness to blame. So when item voids get above 1.5% management gets mad. Higher career opportunities are limited until someone leaves which many will not for a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't blame employees for high item void percentages when it is the customers' faults for the most part. Also hire more people as most stores are understaffed and there are too many tasks for too few people and then customers get angry. Also there should be more attainable rewards for employees that perform well in persuading customers to get the TJX credit card and/or donating.

It was fun for the first 4 years

Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsThey were flexible with the schedule

ConsPay was not enough for what you had to do. Management needs to learn how to work together

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with one another

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Under Staffed, Pay Rate Low!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe coworkers are great! Met a lot of good people.

ConsTurn over very high, so under staffing is a norm. The pay rate is VERY low. This is the Main reason why people resign.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your employees how they are doing, what they need
    from you as a manager, and what needs to be worked on.

Poor coaching, training and development. Make sure you have a strong store manager who will work with you.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood company, great merchandise, decent pay

ConsPoor training, development and coaching at all levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop each other and work as a team. have frequent manager meetings and make sure the right manager is in the right role

Clear Management Values - Money.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule and friendly associates.

ConsManagement does not communicate with one another or other associates. Store management does not communicate needs to corporate level management and when they do corporate does not listen. Employees are given far too many tasks and hard working employees are expected to make up for the incompetence of the lazy ones. Low pay with awful raise schedule. Management makes even simple tasks out to be a large challenge and spends more time complaining and planning rather than just getting it done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate and remove incompetent employees. Offering higher starting pay for certain positions might help you actually fill them instead of leaving the responsibilities to other associates.

Managers are Great but Company does not value you and underpay.

ProsThe people who work there are good people.

ConsCompany controls everything inside the store, everything you do. Have consistent high profit but underpay all who work for it. They give nice titles but they are not of use, since you cannot pay bills nor grocery with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay decent salary and you will retain people. Instead of spying on everything workers do, give them a good pay.Offering Obamacare is not benefit, it is punishment.

it needs to be hard worker to deal with load of work daily.

Floor Associate (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsFlexible hour for the schedule, casual dress code

Consstarting rate is from minimum wage

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Rethinking is the best choice.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Aurora, OH

ProsEasy to request off, great coworkers, awesome customers, great benefits, gorgeous store, discount at all three stores which is great! These are the only reason why I'm not voting 1 star.

ConsWhere to start...

First, I don't know whether it's because, we are a new store or what the problem is but, I'll start with management. Our store manager is very young,unprofessional and extremely rude. She yells at our workers in front of our customers all the time threatening their jobs. Which is extremely unacceptable. She treats our back room staff like salves and expect so much out of all the workers while she doesn't want to help.

Second; Management expects so much out of the coordinators they get mad at us when we can't put stuff out on the floor fast enough and is also mad when they want us to help out everywhere else but, where we need to be. The store isn't that big stuff all can't be done in a day. You can run tanks and merchandise at the same time and there is never anyone to help. Ever.

Third; The back room is so unsafe. It's sometimes mountain of boxes so big and tall that you can't even walk back there. The backroom staff is so friendly and nice yet treated so poorly. Sometimes I'll drop back there and chat a little I'm the morning before the store is open and management had a problem with that. Half the time the backroom isn't allowed to come to the meetings in the morning. Which is unfair. Their jobs are constantly put on the line because, they don't process fast enough which is crap. Management told one of the best workers that she was too helpful and stopped scheduling her.

Four; THERE aren't enough workers ever..

Advice to Senior ManagementWe aren't working for you. We are working with you. You guys need to read management 101 for dummies.

Good First Job

Associate (Former Employee) Saint Davids, PA

ProsGood first job, the people are great.

ConsThe pay isn't good, scattered schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementWant better work hours.

Worked for Home Goods? Contribute to the Community!