Home Goods Reviews

Updated August 31, 2014
Updated August 31, 2014

2.6

Ken Canestrari

Pros
  • They offer full time and part time and are very accommodating to your schedule (in 6 reviews)

• incentives, good benifits( providing you're a full-time employee), great work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • For a merchandise coordinator there is a lot asked of you for minimum wage (in 18 reviews)

• Low pay with awful raise schedule (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good summer job, Should not be a long time career unless manager.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Home Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers are very friendly, willing to help others out, a majority of the coordinators are not stuck up and are actually nice. Flexible schedule. 45 minute lunch if you work a shift longer than 6 and half hours.

Cons

The amount of pay one gets for the massive amount of job responsibilities one has as a Sales Associate. Minimum wage for cashiering, carrying out furniture, assembling furniture, merchandising, carrying things for customers, taking phone calls, calling like 5 other HomeGoods for a customer to look for a specific item, organizing/recovery, processing returns, emptying "tanks"(rolling shelves of products), etc etc. While HomeGoods has about 15 billion dollars in profit every year, they should compensate the employees that make it possible. I guess the company is greedy enough to only give employees a 10% discount. Have to request days off 2 weeks in advance. Cashiers are blamed for item voids(taking an item off a total after having scanned it) when it really is the customers' indecisiveness to blame. So when item voids get above 1.5% management gets mad. Higher career opportunities are limited until someone leaves which many will not for a long time.

Don't blame employees for high item void percentages when it is the customers' faults for the most part. Also hire more people as most stores are understaffed and there are too many tasks for too few people and then customers get angry. Also there should be more attainable rewards for employees that perform well in persuading customers to get the TJX credit card and/or donating.

Home Goods is HORRIBLE.

Former Employee - Back Room Processor  in  Pompton Plains, NJ
    Former Employee - Back Room Processor in Pompton Plains, NJ

I worked at Home Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

NONE. Getting to leave EARLY from a shift was a PRO.

Cons

This company is absolutely horrible. I could of just been my chain in New Jersey, but good lord I was miserable. I was a seasonal employee. I have worked at other retail places so this wasn't my first job. Only 5 hour shifts at $7.25 an hour. Awful co-workers, and awful managers who didn't respect the jobs we were doing. (I was usually in the back for processing.) So disorganized. I would seriously cry to work everyday and on my way home. I was so glad when my time ended because that place is a HELL HOLE. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!

Get your act together. (Putting it NICELY. I had to edit this post.)

Growth experience

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Comp rate of pay and ability to request off

Cons

Lack of continued training from superiors

Be forgiving and allow Managers to make mistakes without branding them a failure

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor coaching, training and development. Make sure you have a strong store manager who will work with you.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company, great merchandise, decent pay

Cons

Poor training, development and coaching at all levels.

Develop each other and work as a team. have frequent manager meetings and make sure the right manager is in the right role

It was fun for the first 4 years

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator  in  Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Home Goods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They were flexible with the schedule

Cons

Pay was not enough for what you had to do. Management needs to learn how to work together

Communicate with one another

Under Staffed, Pay Rate Low!

I worked at Home Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers are great! Met a lot of good people.

Cons

Turn over very high, so under staffing is a norm. The pay rate is VERY low. This is the Main reason why people resign.

Ask your employees how they are doing, what they need
    from you as a manager, and what needs to be worked on.

Worst Job of my life

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate  in  Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Home Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers, occasional 20% discount, lunch.

Cons

low hours, rude and negative general manager who would not even acknowledge or say hello to half of the staff! lazy assistant manager who has a nasty attitude, clear favoritism . I was overjoyed to be part of the staff that was let go due to over hiring.

When I got I hired I was excited to work for the company. The area manager built it up to be this great, fun, challenging company where you could really go somwhere if you applied yourself. That is not the case here.

it needs to be hard worker to deal with load of work daily.

Current Employee - Floor Associate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Floor Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Home Goods part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hour for the schedule, casual dress code

Cons

starting rate is from minimum wage

nothing

Rethinking is the best choice.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aurora, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, OH

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to request off, great coworkers, awesome customers, great benefits, gorgeous store, discount at all three stores which is great! These are the only reason why I'm not voting 1 star.

Cons

Where to start...

First, I don't know whether it's because, we are a new store or what the problem is but, I'll start with management. Our store manager is very young,unprofessional and extremely rude. She yells at our workers in front of our customers all the time threatening their jobs. Which is extremely unacceptable. She treats our back room staff like salves and expect so much out of all the workers while she doesn't want to help.

Second; Management expects so much out of the coordinators they get mad at us when we can't put stuff out on the floor fast enough and is also mad when they want us to help out everywhere else but, where we need to be. The store isn't that big stuff all can't be done in a day. You can run tanks and merchandise at the same time and there is never anyone to help. Ever.

Third; The back room is so unsafe. It's sometimes mountain of boxes so big and tall that you can't even walk back there. The backroom staff is so friendly and nice yet treated so poorly. Sometimes I'll drop back there and chat a little I'm the morning before the store is open and management had a problem with that. Half the time the backroom isn't allowed to come to the meetings in the morning. Which is unfair. Their jobs are constantly put on the line because, they don't process fast enough which is crap. Management told one of the best workers that she was too helpful and stopped scheduling her.

Four; THERE aren't enough workers ever..

We aren't working for you. We are working with you. You guys need to read management 101 for dummies.

Good First Job

Former Employee - Associate  in  Saint Davids, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Saint Davids, PA

I worked at Home Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good first job, the people are great.

Cons

The pay isn't good, scattered schedules

Want better work hours.

Worked for Home Goods? Contribute to the Community!