Home Instead

Be The First To
Add Photos

Home Instead CEO Roger Baumgart

Roger Baumgart

Pros:
  • "flexible hours and nice clients"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Get to make a difference in someone's life every single day"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "If your client dies, it may take awhile to get another full-time client"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Minimum wage for a few hours of companionship is understandable, but"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A temporary position

Virginia Beach, VA

Prosflexible hours and nice clients

Conslow pay, no benefits, absolutely no guaranteed hours

Advice to Senior Managementoffer benefits!!! and higher wages!!!!

Love this company!

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsGreat team of people who are all passionate about their job. Get to make a difference in someone's life every single day. The office staff and CAREGivers are just amazing. This is a very forward-thinking and innovative company that is always excited about new ideas.

ConsNot the highest paying job in the world, but then again it has to stay affordable for seniors. Not in it for the money anyways.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating and keeping it genuine!

Great as a fill-in. Stay away if looking a career.

Vero Beach, FL

ProsUnderstands the need for continuing education. In Vero beach, jobs are plentiful. The more you say "yes" to a job, the more they hours you get. CLEAN CLEAN, & CLEAN. They're great at adhering to the laws. Will step up for caregiver/home health employees, when need be. Really try to match client with caregiver. I worked over 45hrs andthey still call me for other jobs. I have to say no, but when i need the money I will say yes.

ConsHome Instead starts off at the highest paying in the area at a whopping 10 something an hour. Hope you like it! because that's where you'll stay forever! No loyalty points here. They charge clients more for night and weekends, but don't pass that on. OH wait, you get an extra 50 cents for weekends. Nothing more for night so I don't bother.
    The mandatory meeting is a bunch of clapping and nonsense. Sit down, listen to how great it is, take a gift card and call it a day. You don't get to know your co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the meeting's and Christmas party be about the employees. This is most likely the only time we speak with each other. let us enjoy it. Forty minutes should be max time to inform us on corp news, and salute the employee of the year. The pay is really not good. For a company that charges $22hr, and paying only a little over $10 and change an hr. Is fine in the beginning, but should change after a year. This job is demanding. your employees are asked to do work on the side & many don't. Not because the "fine print, or contract" but loyalty. Remember that. Caregivers are a dime a dozen, when you find one that stays....give them a raise!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A team atmosphere with a lot of praise and rewards for being a team player.

Personal Care Aide (Current Employee)
    Carson City, NV

ProsAbility to meet the needs of elderly and their loved ones. A feeling of making a difference. Satisfaction when the clients are happy with a job well done and voice the gratitude.

ConsA lot of travel and wear and tear on your vehicle. Sometimes the hours are not as many as I would like. The cost of gas cuts into the paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementArrange appointments so that the down time is not so far between that it kills off your day. Split shifts are not enough hours to keep good employees around.

Disorganized and not respectful of employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsFlexibility/ meet few families you want on a regular basis

ConsWay way too many phone calls in a day, begging you to accept shifts you have declined already, too many people calling you, very disorganized, placing too much responsibility on caregivers

Advice to Senior ManagementStop calling ridiculous amounts, listen to your employees wishes, respect your employees

Working for Home Instead

Companion/Caregiver (Current Employee)

ProsGreat flexibility since the job is per diem. You can call and take yourself off the schedule when you need to.

ConsThe pay is terrible. I have been there two years, and currently am paid 30 cents over minimum wage. Sometimes there may not be work available for weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people better.

Fulfilling, but can be exhausting.

Martinsburg, WV

ProsI work for an excellent office staff (Martinsburg, WV), employees are recognized for hard work regularly. They are very accommodating and notice the little things. Never have I worked for a company so connected with its employees, sending cards for every holiday, even a sympathy card after I had to put my fur baby to sleep. These little things mean a lot in this kind of work, and makes you feel like a valued member of this team.

ConsThe downside has nothing to do with the company, but with this line of work in general. I believe it takes a special kind of person to do this work, and it's easy to get burned out if you aren't careful.

Staffing Coordinator

Staff Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsThey provide a great service to seniors that want to remain at home and independent.

ConsI agree with the Chicago posting in 11/2012, if that review had been posted before I accepted the same position in another state, I would not have accepted or even applied for the job. I give that person a lot of credit for lasting more than a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at what is really required of this position and make some real changes in the position and salary.

The training and support of this company is excellent

Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat training, great staff, and reliable work availability

ConsModerate pay for the amount of work we do

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate more active learning in training program. It was too boring.

HISC in Fort Collins does not care about their employees

Caregiver (Former Employee)
    Fort Collins, CO

ProsI loved all the clients I had. :)

ConsIgnored by management when asked why I wasn't paid the correct rate. Then they stopped scheduling me even when I was requested to work by clients. :(

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and listen to their concerns if you want to keep good reliable help. We are people, not just dollar signs for you Mr. Maguire!

Worked for Home Instead? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Instead reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Home Instead CEO Roger Baumgart. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Home Instead employees.