Home Instead Senior Care

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • One pro is that you are helping create jobs and helping seniors stay in their home(in 7 reviews)

• Ability to help seniors stay independent, flexible hours, good training(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, benefits only for office staff(in 9 reviews)

• No benefits or paid time off, little interaction with other caregivers, lack of company support(in 7 reviews)

Great experience.

Caregiver (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsVery friendly, helpful staff. Great chance to meet some very interesting people/patients. Good overall experience. Leadership and training were really good, and many opportunities for continued education. The senior management was very understanding and helpful in every aspect of the job.

ConsClients are always changing, making it sometimes difficult to find a long-term patient. Also it is common to be contacted outside of working hours quite often as their clients are always new and in immediate need of care. The pay isn't very high considering the importance of the work, but that is more cultural issue than it is a company issue. Care givers deserve higher pay in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great company with great values

Caregiver (Current Employee) Olympia, WA

ProsWorking with their client base is amazing. They really try to make sure all of employees and clients are happy, healthy and have a good work home life balance. The administrators are fun to work with too.

ConsHours can flucuate and there are no benefits due to ACA FTE requirements

Depends on the owner

ProsLove helping the community, and the seniors

Consif you work for the wrong type of owner

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work with wonderful seniors for very low pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat sense of accomplishment in assisting individuals who need and appreciate the help

ConsLow pay, hours inconsistent

Advice to Senior Managementthere is a need to get into the trenches to understand how much a caregiver gives of self emotionally and physically

Very nice group.

Home Health Care Giver (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsNice people to work for.

ConsUnbelievably bad pay and no benifits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want hold on to good employees, or hire them, raise the starting pay.

Rewarding Job

ProsI work in office rather than as a CAREGiver and taking client inquiries and knowing you are providing help for a senior is the most rewarding feeling. My management is wonderful, very personable, understanding, and always willing to discuss strategies, suggestions, ideas. It is 100% a team here in my office.

ConsAngry customers or rude attitudes from caregivers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting caregivers get away with the behaviors they perform.

Challenging but gratifying to be able to help elderly clients who love and appreciate you for being in their lives.

Caregiver (Current Employee) Evansville, IN

ProsClients treat you like family because your probably seen more than their own family.

ConsYou get attached fast so slways make clients your main concern with their needs first .

Advice to Senior ManagementCare Givers need to be lifted up, praised for the job the do because it's a demanding job. Helpers can easy and quickly get burnt out. Therefore not feeling appreciated.

House cleaner, not caregiver...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bethel Park, PA

ProsThey are typically flexible about working a schedule, if you want lots of hours and are willing to drive there are always plenty.

ConsGave them a copy for my CNA license and said they would increase my pay to the correct amount... called for two months straight and lost out on money because they never got it right. Most clients I worked with just wanted their houses cleaned by you. I was asked numerous times to drive an hour to work a shift. When hired I was told they had clients near me... but later found out none of those clients had open hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen preforming care on a person, you need much more then a 1/2 hour course, especially transferring people. Also have enough office employees staffed so there is no confusion with things like payroll because that same person has three other jobs besides the payroll.

Not the best place to work

Caregiver (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThey will try and work around your availability and are honest about the pay scale. Seem to care about the clients and families.

ConsLow pay, benefits only for office staff. Caregivers are not treated very well unless you are doing them a favor. Most of the time feel like am not better than dirt on their shoes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain office staff in people skills and how to address caregivers. They are a big reason that caregivers are unhappy.

Great people and great clients

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with seniors and each day is something different. Flexibility as far as scheduling. Clients close to home.

Conshours are not guaranteed. Some times you will have well over full time and others can be next to nothing. There are a lot of factors that go into the hours you would have. Client passes away or goes into facility or hospital, Clients cancel services.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making your CAREGivers feel special

Worked for Home Instead Senior Care? Contribute to the Community!