Home Instead Senior Care

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015
3.3

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Great group of people who want to make a difference and help seniors (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours that work around your schedule (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hounded you for shifts even if you couldn't work, low pay, poorly managee (in 17 reviews)

• No benefits back then in 2010 and unreliable caregivers relieving one from a shift (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work as a HHA

Current Employee - HHA/CNA in Vero Beach, FL
    Current Employee - HHA/CNA in Vero Beach, FL

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management staff are amazing. They are very attentive to your needs. They are very organized. They answer your questions promptly and everything is done in an organized manner. The company doesn't take patients that are not made for home health, and thus you don't have to worry about dealing with nursing home type patients in their own.

Cons

I work there is a home health aide and the pay isn't the best. (11.00)

Create more jobs for advancement.

Schedule and Pay

Current Employee - In Home Non-medical Senior Care Giver in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - In Home Non-medical Senior Care Giver in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Scheduling staff is well organized and considerate of the Caregiver's availability. The requests to fill in last minute shifts is with full regard to the Clients needs and the option given the Caregivers to Fill In is truly optional. I understand that flexibility is needed when last minute demands are offered. I know I can say No without explaining myself.

Cons

After completing 90 days of shift work I would appreciate the consideration of increased hourly wage. Also I would appreciate feedback from Management on my performance to be able to advance and/or obtain increased wages.

Please activate a review process for the Caregivers to know their performance on the job and the opportunity to advance in both pay and job description. I feel this will improve not only performance but acknowledgement is always appreciated and improvement goals would be established as needed.

The word "care" does not belong in the company name.

Former Employee - Caregiver in Bethel Park, PA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Bethel Park, PA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours for the most part, decent pay

Cons

Very poor communication skills, inconsistent scheduling, significant lack of listening skills

Please listen to your CAREGivers. They are the ones going into the client's homes, not you. When they are on approved vacation time, respect that and - most importantly - remember that! Treat them with respect and maybe, just maybe, you won't find yourself having to replace them all the time.

Flexible Time off, no overtime / low pay, unprofessional schedulers

Current Employee - Caregiver in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- They are very flexible with time off as long as you ask off 2 weeks in advance. I have never been denied a day off when I've asked for it in advance even when my reasons for asking off were not always extraordinary.

- They provided many training classes in which you are payed to take, and you can also take a CPR certification class for free.

- To me the job was personally rewarding because you are able to help people who can't help themselves and you form a bond with the clients and their families. Reimbursed for mileage while on the job.

- It seems that they do care for the clients and it shows through the types of workers that they hire to take care of the clients.

Cons

- The pay is low for the amount of work the caregivers do and this became more apparent once I learned how much they charge the clients. I understand that they have expenses but it is fairly obvious that they can afford to pay us more or at least pay us for overtime. Even though we are reimbursed for mileage on the job if you have multiple clients each day you have to drive a good amount to multiple locations without pay and this can take up a lot of time depending on how far each client lives.

- The schedulers are very pushy and guilt you into filling shifts last minute. I met someone who used to work in one of the offices and they informed me that, in their office, they were trained to use the idea that most caregivers are kind people who might feel bad about not helping a client and will not refuse a fill in shift even if it is a large inconvenience for them to do so, I have even been called on days that I normally have off or that I have asked off. There are times where I have been scheduled or have had my shifts extended to where I had no time in breaks in between clients because of driving and had no time to eat all day. They allow you to bring food to clients' houses but there are some clients who do not permit this and others where you need to interact with the client the entire time you are at their house so you have no time to eat anyway. Many times I could not prepare meals because I was called in for a shift while at another shift, so had no time to go home or to pick something up.

- In our office, we were not given the option of direct deposit for our pay checks. They say that they do this as a means to get to know their caregivers better, and while this may be true and I like the idea behind it, it is often an inconvenience to take time out of my already busy day to drive to the office to pick it up.

My main advice would be to pay your workers overtime and / or raise their salaries. I love doing my job but it's just barely enough to get by, even when working 50+ hours a week, sometimes 7 days a week.

Caregiver

Former Employee - Caregiver in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

There was never a shortage of hours. I always finished the week having worked more hours than I had planned on working. The pay was good for the amount of work required.

Cons

I was often called at the last minute to do assignments. I got the feeling that I wasn't seen as an actual human being by the company or the schedulers: I was just a machine to be sent to various last-minute assignments. Once I was scheduled for a night shift, and at the last minute they asked me to do a morning shift the next day. I was only able to get about four hours of sleep in between shifts. And caring for seniors is not the kind of job where you can get away with coming to work tired and foggy-minded. I had to deal with clients who, once I got there, expected more for their money. So they would talk me into doing things that were not part of the plan they paid for with the company.

Training should be more extensive so that potential employees know exactly what they are getting into. Seniors in the later stages of dementia can be impossible to deal with. New employees with very little training know the book knowledge for caring for seniors, but I don't think they are properly prepared for the emotional toll taken from caring for dementia patients. It is far more than learning proper hygiene and making sure seniors don't fall. I suggest an internship or on-the-job training before potential employees are sent on their first assignment alone. And I suggest having the intern accompany an experienced worker at an assignment with a patient who is in the later stages of dementia so that the potential employee will know the worst of what they will have to deal with before being hired.

Drink the Kool-aid!!

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

Good cafeteria, free parking, clean restrooms. Sidewalks get shoveled in the winter. Office has Air Conditioning.

Cons

Formal dress code gets expensive. Co-owner runs beauty pagents so expects perfect formal dress at all times. All employees are expected to worship at the Hogan altar (except for the mandatory Lord's prayer at meetings). They talk a good game about providing a service to those in need, but they charge the vulnerable clients high rates, while throwing themselves lavish parties and drive their $100,000 suv's. Also they fight tooth and nail to avoid minimum wage laws (so very Christian) and fire people almost weekly. The whole thing is basically a cult of personality around the owner, and use the elderly as props to stroke their egos. Truly a bizzare place. Everyone is cutting eachother's throat to prove their loyalty.

Seriously, step back and take a look in the mirror.

Not a bad company to work for if your looking for part time hours with no benefits

Former Employee - Caregiver in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful clients and great employees to work for

Cons

Not guaranteed hours and no benefits

Management

Former Employee - Care Management in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Care Management in Richmond, VA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

Very little to say about good points only if you like working for small office. It is fulfilling caring for seniors.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, doesn't care about employees in the field. Poor communication and bonuses are ridiculous.

Owner and operations need to get out there and experience how much is expected of employees. They have no idea. Be honest about bonuses and develop a realistic plan. Care about your caregivers!

Caregiver

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Monroe, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Monroe, NC

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

Love working with elderly people. Love there companionship, help them with things that they cant do on there own.

Cons

My challenge to keep working and communicating with people.

Always make changes for the best.

Home Healthcare Aid

Current Employee - Home Healthcare Aid in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Home Healthcare Aid in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff are just awesome. They are very supportive to their clients and their staff.

Cons

Pay or compensation sucks.

Consider paying people for their prior experiences and training which they bring to the company. Add mileage pay; traveling 45 minutes to a job and longer in bad weather puts a toll on cars, you want us to use our vehicles if need be but no mileage pay is BS.