Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Opportunity to make a difference in Seniors lives (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours, Nice staff, great pay (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, benefits only for office staff (in 17 reviews)

• and there are currently no benefits (in 16 reviews)

1. Caregiver

Current Employee - Caregiver in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Dover, DE

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

This job offers flexible hours which helps if you're a busy student, mom or need part time employment for whatever reason.

Cons

Not bad. Ok for part time.

2. Caregiver

Former Employee - Caregiver in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Portland, OR

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care (More than 5 years)

Pros

The clients are wonderful. I was hired when I had no experience working with the elderly, other than helping my grandmother a little so I appreciated that most of the clients were very happy tell me what I needed to know. Home Instead trains (and from what I've heard, they now pay for the initial training) but the training seems to be inadequate considering what is expected of the caregivers.

Cons

Some of the labor laws have changed, and they appear to be having a hard time keeping up with the changes. They did pay me for all my training time over the years I worked for Home Instead in my last pay check, but it was odd to have to wait so long. I felt sorry for the elderly people who set up a contract with Home Instead, thinking they would be getting a top-notch experience, but in reality, got high caregiver turnover and poorly trained ones, too. And about the elderly and their guns---if you want to work in a gun free environment, this might not be the job for you. It is true that most elderly people who sign up with Home Instead don't keep loaded guns next to their bed or under their pillow, but some do.

Advice to Management

The In-Home Care industry is growing and you are a leader in the field, but you are making some sad decisions---pinching pennies where you shouldn't (on the caregiver wages and poor training). But I have to say your advertising is good.

3. Why Home Instead is for you

Former Employee - In Home Caretaker in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - In Home Caretaker in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

Individually owned home care franchise business. The Mechanicsburg Home Instead franchise is very Professional. They have dedicated and supportive management teams and are very flexible and friendly. Their training manager is the best I have ever encountered and covers just about everything you will encounter on the job.
    The position requires some testing (TB) and drug screening and background clearances. The staff that handles the client care scheduling (as of this posting 6/15) were terrific and thoroughly professional personnel .Do be sure to call them and offer to help out with uncovered shifts! They really appreciate that!
    In short, this office succeeds in serving the Mechanicsburg area with professional staffing for in home care needs, be they simple or challenging. I can highly recommend working for them.

Cons

There are a few.. This can be a high mileage job and you won't recover costs for those until the following tax year. Keep good mileage logs from the start! Always be prepared to stay longer on your shift than you expect. It seldom happens, however it is good to plan ahead with food and a change of clothes .

Advice to Management

Please make a laminated card for the new hires or posters for a wall of some type to have handy for a quick review on the job of the 12 things that are an automatic fire. They need to be available in other places in addition to our training manual . Miss You all! JH

5. Community Service Liaison

Current Employee - Community Relations Coordinator in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Community Relations Coordinator in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very reputable company and provide quality care to seniors.

Cons

Owner selling the franchise I am currently working at.

6. Caregiver

Current Employee - Caregiver in Norristown, PA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Norristown, PA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of hours and if you need time off they have no problem with doing so

Cons

No benefits and I've been with the company for 3 years schedule always changing

7. Rewarding but overworked

Former Employee - Caregiver
    Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

It is rewarding work and they do extensive training for the job you do. They prepare you well for the problems you may encounter on the job. The clients were mostly nice. Great job if you enjoy one on one interactions with other people. You can work all the hours you want.

Cons

I got called in to work extra shifts almost every day. No breaks. Sometimes shifts never got filled if they didn't find someone to cover them.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have enough employees to cover the work load.

Caregiver

Former Employee - Care Worker in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Care Worker in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

You get to really make a difference in the lives of people who can't do things for themselves. Sometimes you can learn a lot from older wiser people who have been through a lot. When I had difficulty with a client one of the admin people came out that very day to talk with her. They are great with training.

Cons

They say they want you to take care of your health, but they praise people who work 160+ hours a week and always say yes to extra shifts. The information in the training was helpful but it was expected to just copy the answers from the provided answer sheet. The pay is very low. If you don't have a permanent client, shifts are hard to get. I had to look for other income.

9. Home Instead Senior Care

Current Employee - Caregiver in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a staff that trains you in caring for dementia clients and have very flexible hours.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to work a full 40 hours a week and there is little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Include the clients you will be working with when you post available shifts.

10. horrible bosses

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great hours .Great Pay .loved the clients. I enjoyed meeting new clients and families.

Cons

Unfair Staff . Under staffing with the workers made more cases to handle.

11. Senior Caregiver

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have flexible hours to care for loving seniors who appreciate our services.

Cons

Sometimes, your available hours to work with senior clients don't work out with their service time. Difficult for consistency.

Advice to Management

None, personal preference time when available to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed