Home Instead Senior Care

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
3.3

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Great group of people who want to make a difference and help seniors (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours that work around your schedule (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours can flucuate and there are no benefits due to ACA FTE requirements (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay, benefits only for office staff (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Home Instead Senior Care

Current Employee - Caregiver  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Nothing really besides it will help pay very small bills

Cons

Everything
    Long Hours
    Low pay
    Poor Management
    On call

Be more understanding

It has been a great job to work with.

Current Employee - Caregiver  in  North Olmsted, OH
    Current Employee - Caregiver in North Olmsted, OH

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I enjoy the way the staff is so helpful and professional in their professional area of expertise.

Cons

Getting to the meetings to stay in compliance.

The upper management is just a great set of people to work with all the time.

It wasn't bad and the senior were mostly nice.

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

The best thing is the flexibility, you could get a client with fixed hours or just be on call.

Cons

Pay, pay and pay, No room for advancement.

You can pay your people more than 8-9 a hour.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed

Current Employee - Senior Caregiver  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Caregiver in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time for less than a year

Pros

Giving Seniors who otherwise may be in a hospital setting. A chance to remain in their homes

Cons

Not enough hours, unstable schedules, and not so caring staff. Willing to send you shifts not qualified for. Example : Hoyer Lift

Stop hiring new employees and give current employees more hours

caregive

Former Employee - Caregiver  in  Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

They care for the senior they provide care for

Cons

you don`t get paid enough

A well run senior citizen companion/caregiver agency

Former Employee - Companion
    Former Employee - Companion

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide training, have regular quarterly meetings with 2 different time slots, good matching to clients, good communication, professionally run. A great staff.

Cons

No ding against them, just some clients only want 2 hours of care/help at a time, which doesn't give a caregiver much time to get things done for the client.

Parent company needs to get away from housekeeping aspect and concentrate on care giving and companion activities. Housekeepers charge less or the same for agency costs and can do more needed in depth cleaning.

This is a good place to make a difference and find a start in health care.

Former Employee - Senior Care Giver  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Care Giver in Columbia, MO

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office staff. Flexible hours that work around your schedule. Willing to work with you to find a good fit.

Cons

Minimum number of hours not guaranteed. It all depends on how many clients they have and what fits your schedule.

Great experience.

Former Employee - Caregiver  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly, helpful staff. Great chance to meet some very interesting people/patients. Good overall experience. Leadership and training were really good, and many opportunities for continued education. The senior management was very understanding and helpful in every aspect of the job.

Cons

Clients are always changing, making it sometimes difficult to find a long-term patient. Also it is common to be contacted outside of working hours quite often as their clients are always new and in immediate need of care. The pay isn't very high considering the importance of the work, but that is more cultural issue than it is a company issue. Care givers deserve higher pay in general.

Keep up the good work.

Wonderful clients however office supervisors are a joke

Current Employee - Caregiver  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Work is very rewarding and clients are very appreciative of the services provided. Training program is fairly good, somewhat simplistic. The staff that works in the staffing office is spectacular. Person who answers the phone is very nice and pleasant to work with.

Cons

The supervisors in the office represent a group of paraprofessionals who act like skilled clinicians however have no idea of how to treat employees. Frequently treat employees like they are children. They all need leadership training and their level of emotional intelligence is most likely off the charts in the negative range. Franchise owner is very nice however has these supervisors running the show. They are very condescending in their mannerisms with staff.

For an industry that has a very high turnover rate, I would assume that the office supervisors would be more careful in the manner in which they deal with staff. In my 30 years of full time employment, this has to have been the very worst managers I have ever encountered in my career. Tremendous lack of supervision of the caregivers actual performance in the home settings and instead, clinical supervisor wholeheartedly believes the staff who work the most shifts. Quarterly meetings are a waste of time. Information could be communicated via webinar and eliminate all of the childish games for "morale building". Clean house of the clinical director and trainer and hire real leaders who treat people like professionals instead of children and the agency would be much better.

Not a good working experience!

Current Employee - Senior Caregiver  in  Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Caregiver in Vista, CA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love knowing that I'm making a difference & helping to make things easier for seniors. The training is helpful if you have time in between shifts to attend.

Cons

The owner only cares about the money. The office manager is a snake in the grass & lies to cover her tush. The best staff member they had in years was let go one day & then months later all was gone but the owner & manager. The turn over is frequent. We are expendable & it is shown. The pay is hard to live off of & all hours were cut due to Obama Care. We are expected to be housekeepers for the filthiest of people because they are paying. I have to agree with many reviews all over the US. Look elsewhere if you have that luxury.

Training,training, training. Owner needs to pay caregivers more. Show that you value your employees. Not everyone wants to do a raffle for a toaster. We want to be able to put food on our tables.

Worked for Home Instead Senior Care? Contribute to the Community!