Home Properties

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.8

Edward J. Pettinella

Home Properties was one of the best companies I have worked for in my Property Management experience

Former Employee - Book-keeper in Owings, MD
    Former Employee - Book-keeper in Owings, MD

I worked at Home Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started off at Home Properties as a Waitlist Compliance Specialist, then became the Office Book keeper. This is a company you can definitely grow with.

Cons

My only challenges were some of the resident and learning how to follow the compliance rules of HUD

Oct 28, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback, I'm so glad to hear you had such a positive experience in the five years you worked for Home Properties. Spread the word, we are always looking for employees with a ... More

Leasing was fun, but a lot of non leasing related things took up most of my time.

I worked at Home Properties full-time

Pros

The actual leasing part of the job - finding a home for families - was fun. I enjoyed most of my co-workers and the residents.

Cons

Given too much work and too little time to do it. Too much delegation. No downtime. Worked pretty much every weekend - and since managers have every weekend off, the weekends were short staffed and could be very stressful at times. Sometimes had to work overtime without getting paid.

The training in the corporate office was great, but there needs to be a better in office training program for new hires. I was often left to figure out my job, make mistakes, then get told how to do something instead of being clearly shown what to do. Also managers encouraging employees to come in early and stay late without getting paid is illegal.

Oct 28, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I have to agree, finding a home for families can be fun. Home Properties would never support or expect employees to work without getting paid. I encourage any employee to ... More

Great experience

Former Employee - Property Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Home Properties full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is public so there are set policies and they are ethical. I was with the company for 7 years and would not have left if not for relocating out of state.
    They do spend money to improve apartment communities and not just for curb appeal.
    Training department is wonderful and they really try to make your job easier.
    They do promote from within for career advancement if you earn the job with performance.
    There is a good work life balance

Cons

Approving invoices with signatures is outdated and takes too much time. They use OPS for national vendor suppliers and should incorporate all invoices into OPS to save time.
    Compensation is based on location so sometimes it can be lower than it should.
    Provide more resources during snow removal to reduce work load on the maintenance team.

Keep your ethics as that sets you apart and builds great teams and apartment communities.

Oct 28, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We are always trying to find better ways of doing business. I am glad you had a great experience we were fortunate to have an employee like yourself for seven years. Good ... More

Definitely a learning experience!

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at Home Properties part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is open to employees suggesting new ideas.

Cons

Training was way off target as to what the job entailed. Leasing consultants are mystery shopped and are required to hit numerous criteria in order to get a good rating.

Re-evaluate training; make sure systems being trained on work and mirror that which is available on the job. Ease up on the criteria for the mystery shopping--a leasing consultant can still be effective and provide a client with a good experience without making sure they ask them a hundred questions.

Pay way too low for large amount of time spent on call during nights and weekends plus doing all snow removal.

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech

I have been working at Home Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dental plan is pretty good.

Cons

You are on call frequently for an entire week during which you have no life and can't attend to your family and the pay is way to low to compensate for that. Even if maintenance were not on call, the pay is too low. Also making the maintenance staff do the snow and ice removal on top of everything else we do for the same low pay is wrong. During this past winter some of my older coworkers got sick and hurt from the long hours working on snow removal. A decent company would have landscaping vendor do snow removal.

Pay the workers more, especially the maintenance staff. Why do you think you have constant maintenance worker turnover...because the pay is too low and too often we have to be on call plus we have to do all the snow work. Have landscaper or other vendor do snow and ice removal.

Over Worked, Under Paid & UNAPPRECIATED!

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Home Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Maintenance Staff, good benefits.

Cons

OVER WORKED, under paid, lack of leadership, VERY low employee moral, lack of good leadership, schedules and training.

Work on employee retention, require management to go to employee relations training, have a more open door environment without retaliation from management. Respect your employees and pay them for hours worked.

Accounting

I worked at Home Properties full-time

Pros

Good company with good benefits, treated there employees well. I enjoyed my time there and wold define lay work there again if available.

Cons

Not enough opportunity for advancement, can be hard to get ahead. This is due to how long people stay with the compan.

Oct 24, 2013HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your response. Employees do tend to stay so it can pose one of those "this is a good problem to have" scenarios. As a result we try to help employees grow within their role ... More

Leasing Consultant

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Glenolden, PA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Glenolden, PA

I have been working at Home Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is very flexible, take care of their employees. I would recommend them to any and everyone

Cons

I really loved working with this company

Challenging Experience

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Home Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits without a long waiting period

Cons

Not enough opportunities for training only one formal class in almost two years
    Management of property does not seem to be prepared to manage the property.
    Too many voices and conflicting demands which make things disruptive.
    Micromanagement of employees with verbal meetings with multiple demands.

Improve training program for all Home Properties employees.
    Improve management training programs for all managers of the property.
    Micromanagement of employees stifles creativity do not be afraid to let employees speak out.

One of thee worst companies I have ever work for

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Home Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they give some tools that you need,

Cons

properties are very run down and need major work but they don't put the money in the things that really need it, a lot supervisors will not help u , property managers have really no open door policy the on call call center will drive you crazy

start over cause people that are in the key positions aren't doing there jobs