HomeAdvisor

www.homeadvisor.com

HomeAdvisor Reviews in Golden, CO

Updated May 26, 2014

Chris Terrill

Pros
  • Work-life balance varies but is generally good (in 7 reviews)

• Good people, surf the internet all day, free soda (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant policy change without letting employees know, typical call center (in 4 reviews)

• no job security, not much room for advancement for me anyways, phone sales, solicitation (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not what they seem

Customer Service (Former Employee) Golden, CO

ProsThere are some very talented, great individuals that work here.

ConsEverday is a new day at HomeAdvisor. Management is constantly hustling and re-engineering the company, trying to maximize the ridiculous amounts of money they squeeze out of unsuspecting contractors. Employees are expected to put the company first-before health and family, and are always being threatened with their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of turning the very cute and maliable into managers and directors---hire the talent that is on the floor. You may be surprised- they may know something!

I have learned a lot within the industry

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Golden, CO

ProsWork, Life Balance is pretty good.

ConsCompensation is lower than it should be

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved with your people,

A good place to work

Online Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Golden, CO

ProsGood people, fun and not bad pay

ConsProblems with comp plan. Cant be sure what you make from check to check. Very difficult to take time off. The adjustment doesn't make up for lost commision.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of multiplyer go back to old budget adjustment for days missed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

7 years wasted

Online Sales Representative (Former Employee) Golden, CO

ProsSome of the best, most compassionate, and ethically concerned people I was pleased to call my co-workers.

ConsManagement treats the employees like bad doggies that got into the trash while the owner was away. No sense of job security and their "management" talks consists of little reviews of a few calls out of thousands completed weekly. Always negative. And yes, they sandbag their criticism to be used as a reason for termination as soon as the company is loosing $. They churn through good,smart employees, and keep zombies and boot lickers on. Worse yet, one employee makes 24K and the guys next to them in cube city, are spoon fed thousands of dollars of commissions. They renamed the company HomeAdvisor to distance themselves from the name ServiceMagic, which is pending hundreds of lawsuits. Favoritism is rampant, and you are segregated into groups, like high school. The worst: their profits are dependent upon lying to the contractors and homeowners about costs and prescreening. AND employees are encouraged to leave their ethics at the door. The average contractor leaves before 90 days are up and a two year employee is an "old-timer".

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are people working for you with a combined total of hundreds of years of experience. Try listening to them---you might actually dodge another consumer fraud investigation. Do not make people choose between their undying dedication to your new car (which you will not park in site of the facility) and sleeping and eating indoors.

My experience at HomeAdvisor

Manager (Former Employee) Golden, CO

ProsCo-workers were great, culture was fun, benefits were good, it is a good service for the customer.

ConsThey do not pay well and there are no raises. Many management decisions and promotions are made behind closed doors. Politics and favoritism seem to rule the day in management. Promotions are often handed to individuals who do not deserve the opportunity. Good managers with departments that do well are locked into a position and never get promoted. It appears that recently operations leadership has lost direction. Decisions seem to be made with short term goals in mind. Tenure means nothing. You can be there today and gone tomorrow.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying people what they are worth (share the wealth). Be transparent with your decisions and partner with HR to implement processes that insure that you are transparent. Promote people based on merit and not who you like. Go back and dig up those core values you used to tout especially the one about integrity.

Worked there 6 Years

Technology (Former Employee) Golden, CO

ProsCulture - Really allow for balance between home/work. Decent pay, benefits were ok.
    The HR staff typically was never heard from. Worked for Senior Managers and it was impossible to tell what their main focus for a given year was

ConsHorrible at giving raises, begging was about the only way to get one. Sleeping with your manager was another, but thats just disgusting. Allowed 1-2 people on a given team have WAY more power than their roles should have been allowed, 1 employee was known to have kept documentation that would 'keep her employed' as long as she wanted to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to promote from within way to much of the brain trust left over last 1yr, within technology groups.

It was a paycheck

Project Assistant (Former Employee) Golden, CO

ProsExcellent benefits, friendly environment, close to home.

ConsNO, job security was my biggest beef. I also completely agree with innovation and trying new things, but at times it seemed to benefit NOBODY (including the company).

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Standard

Intranet Manager (Former Employee) Golden, CO

ProsTypical 40 hour work week, standard benefits package

ConsTypical call-center mentality on every level. Zero culture.

Expanding company with great benefits and consistent reliable salary.

Senior Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) Golden, CO

ProsMy manager is great and always keeps us in the loop with changes and things that can affect our daily jobs. Each employee has the tools needed to succeed.

ConsEvery position has challenges and depending on the employee challenges can be different. But like any growing company constant change is expected and welcomed.

Nice stable job, but no integrity. This place is a slow sinking ship

Online Marketing Advisor (Current Employee) Golden, CO

ProsStable (but low) base pay, great benefits, nice people, flexable with work hours and dress code.

ConsLittle chance for advancement unless you are a personal friend of a director or manager or you "click" with thier little group. Therefore management is often either under qualified, or not at all. I've seen so many occasions where an employee that was well liked, intelligent, skilled in sales, and a consumate professional was turned down for a team management position. The person who was hired was did not work well with others, was unskilled in sales and coaching, younger, unprofessional, and making rookie mistakes, purely because this person knew people in the management structure and had tenure. Not because they were better qualified For the position. As a result I watched several good team members struggle or quit due to their poor management.

Certain decisions made on the director levels of this company have been extremely short-sighted and I've seen a consistant decline in the integrity of the structure of this organization. in the last 3 years I've witnessed a general decline in the quality of everything from leads, customer care, and employee care. Which is why I view this company as a slowly sinking ship. The company was built on a solid product and a solid service, but unfortunately it's now being run by short-sighted and Incompetent managers and directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct professional and promote people with intelligence and experience instead of friends and family with zero business sense.

Worked for HomeAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!