HomeAdvisor
www.homeadvisor.com Golden, CO 1000 to 5000 Employees

HomeAdvisor Reviews

Updated May 26, 2014

Chris Terrill

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance varies but is generally good"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Good people, surf the internet all day, free soda"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant policy change without letting employees know, typical call center"
    in 4 reviews
  • "no job security, not much room for advancement for me anyways, phone sales, solicitation"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Average entry level inside sales position

Online Marketing Consultant (Sales) (Current Employee)

Prosgreat benefits via AIC the owner of HomeAdvisor

Conscareer ladder limited and salaries limited. Chris (CEO) is doing the necessary things to keep the share holders happy because everything else said to employees is "lip service". This is simply a fact that each of us - the minions will do well to accept as we work in Corporate America. What's the alternative? Feel like an indentured servant?

Not a career builder but a nice place to work

Java Developer (Former Employee)
    Golden, CO

Pros- There are some GREAT people and the company doesn't have a lot of hierarchy so it's likely that you will get to work with a lot of them.
    - The environment is very casual.
    - Work-life balance varies but is generally good.
    - Free soda machines!
    - There's a deli down stairs with pretty good, reasonably-priced food.
    - Pay and benefits were reasonable.

Cons- The technologies they use are old. They are modernizing but very leisurely. Some projects may never get much of an update, which will make your job seem like a dead end.
    - There is some really nasty code out there.
    - Management is open about the fact that they try a lot of different things and see what works. That's fine but I'm not always sure there's a very solid, cohesive vision guiding that.

Advice to Senior ManagementHomeAdvisor leads its competition by a long shot but I felt like there was a lot of discontent throughout the company and sometimes among customers. I think the reason for that is because the company tries to do too many things at the same time. Quit trying out half-baked ideas and sure up your foundation first.

Avoid at all costs!

Online Marketing Consultant (Sales) (Current Employee)
    Lenexa, KS

ProsGood people, surf the internet all day, free soda.

ConsDuring my time here, I've had so many negative experiences. The Kansas Department of Labor came in and questioned us about not being fully compensated for the hours that we worked (HomeAdvisor ended up having to cut most of us checks on hours that we had been shorted). There was a fist fight in the parking lot where no one was disciplined, even after it was reported. There is a significant amount of favoritism here and HR is not a safe place to report issues to.

Sales Consultants are constantly encouraged to use misleading or blatant unethical tactics when speaking with contractors. When you talk to a recruiter, go through training and even on the company description that they've written on Glassdoor, they claim to be part of a Fortune 500 company. The parent company, InterActive Corp (IAC) hasn't made the Fortune 500 list since 2008, several years before they wrote the description. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors in all departments at this company.

I do like that you can come in 10-15 minutes late each day and still make it in before the upper management, so you don't have to worry about taking your job too seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully you care more about the employees at your next job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work with lots of opportunity to grow and many benefits.

Online Marketing Consultant (Sales) (Former Employee)
    Golden, CO

ProsGreat Benefits, Many leaders who are willing to help build skills, for the most part will work with unexpected life events, lots of opportunity to grow, great training department.

ConsSome of the directors shouldn't be in the positions they are in. There is a lot of corporate politics and behind the scenes favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake in the core values for yourself as well. Treat employees with the same respect you would desire and if you ask for advice or ideas of the sales reps don't condemn or talk down to them if the idea isn't what you want to hear.

Great place to land for the long haul

Operations Representative (Current Employee)
    Golden, CO

ProsManagement team works with you to help you find success. The C-Level isn't too high and mighty. The culture of the Org is one that really cares for the people from top to bottom.

ConsSalaried employees do not have as many opportunitites for bonuses or raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Great sales job for first timers

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
    Golden, CO

ProsWork life balance, comparable comp plan in the industry, fun place with lots of cool events, really good quality people.

ConsRing ring ring ring ring - 3.5 years of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

typical phone sales

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Golden, CO

Prosgreat hourly rate, great benefits.

Consit's easier to sell what you believe in. HomeAdvisor has a great product but they have deceptive practices on a lot of what they do. There core values are flawed. They want you to sell/believe the good stuff and not get in the weeds with the shady areas.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat the SP's as you would want to be treated. every lead that is sent out think about if you had to pay for it. Once that is done the sales process would double even triple.

LAME

Dialer (Former Employee)
    Lenexa, KS

ProsFree soda, if that is a pro.

ConsClicque-y. High school type of culture. CUBICAL CITY. Management spoon feeds their favorites with the only "decent" prospect lists. Those who are not favored (90% of the employees) spend their entire day cold calling a saturated list of contractors who are sick of hearing the company name. They suggest using shifty tactics to keep the contractor on the phone during the most uncomfortable and awkward phone calls(should one actually pick up the phone.) I cannot express how awful my time spent at this job was.

Advice to Senior ManagementGET A LIFE

One of Denver's hidden gems.

Golden, CO

Pros- Incredibly friendly and helpful people in all areas
    - Highly involved executives/senior leaders who take the time to appreciate staff and their hard work
    - Work hard, play hard culture that with a lot of company involvement, events, and perks for employees
    - Flexible hours for better work-life balance
    - Opportunities to grow and advance career if you want to do it

Cons- Somewhat recent rebranding (2012) and subsequent growing pains
    - Location: if you take public transportation it's a little out of the way and would take a lot longer than driving to get here. If you drive, parking can get pretty tight during core business hours
    - Despite size (1,000 + employees) and recent awards for top workplace, still relatively unknown in the Denver market

Advice to Senior Management- Continue to engage and interact with employees, and encourage them to pursue growth opportunities with realistic timelines

They try to maintain a healthy work and life balance

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Golden, CO

Prossalary + commissions + good benefits, time off when needed and a flexible work schedule for tenured consultants. You learn marketing solutions for contractors.

ConsToo many to mention, low commissions for a lot of work, low moral, very few sales contest or sales incentives, unprofessional culture, upper leadership is not visable or involved, the company is cheap and bottom line focused. They are never leading the way as a company regarding pay and are the last one to give raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your loyal tenured consultants raises and acknowldege their hard work and dedication.

Worked for HomeAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HomeAdvisor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HomeAdvisor CEO Chris Terrill. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by HomeAdvisor employees.