HomeAway Reviews

• Austin, TX Area
4.2
HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

A great family to be a part of

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt the best company I've wirked for. People are very friendly, there is a real sense if comradery. The business takes very good care of employees too, and management is keen for employees to be given lots of responsibilities to encourage their careers to evolve.

Cons

When I left the company, it was going through a transition from a start up to a public company. Consequently a lot of new burocracy was introduced and a lot of people who had been with the company for years were unceremoniously let go by new department heads who were brought in from the outside. I was unaffected by these changes, but the new atmosphere was not one in wish I wanted to continue working, hence I started looking for other opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Realize that the people working for you care a great deal about the company's success - and each other. When you treat one person as disposable, you are likely to lose a lot of others out of protest.

Great company, can be very slow moving

Current Employee - Product in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is really great. They genuinely care about their employees, and put a lot of effort into making it a fun place to work. The industry itself is an exciting one to work in, and HomeAway is clearly the leader in the category.

Cons

With as fast as HomeAway is moving, it can be very slow to move the chain on projects. Project life cycles seem to be longer and longer each year, and the alignment between offices globally seems to always be off.

It's Okay

Former Employee - Trust & Security Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Trust & Security Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing but they cut our holidays, so NO holidays. And co-workers were amazing, very friendly office environment.

Cons

No holidays off was a big issue for me. Also the upper management was aloof and disconnected from staff.

Demanding but Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At HomeAway, you may have your established work routines, but you never know what the day is going to throw at you. In its efforts to remain agile, HomeAway is always trying something new.

Management demands that you bring your "A" game to the table and your co-workers will be some of the smartest people you've ever met. These factors will push you to perform at your highest levels.

The environment at HomeAway is conducive to creativity and innovation. People are open to change and the company is interested in the best solutions, not necessarily the cheapest, which is very refreshing.

Cons

It's difficult to maintain a work-life balance.

Advice to Management

While working at HomeAway is a rewarding experience, employee recognition and team building events on some of the teams can be hard to find.

6. It is a very laid back company and seems to be a great place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has great benefits. They provide four weeks of paid vacation; a week of sick time; company holidays; floating holidays; inexpensive medical insurance coverage through BCBS; dental and vision insurance; a free vacation rental stay per year; free food, drinks and snacks; extremely discounted metro rail and bus passes;.

Cons

Too much of the new hire training consists of a classroom situation with no testing environment to learn in. There is not enough on the job training. They give you the basics and set you out on your own.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the company would strive to make sure all employees are able to have 2 consecutive days off. A staggered schedule is difficult to maintain for employees who already work in a stressful job.

If you are competitive, confident and work really hard - you will be noticed!

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

Good benefits, relaxed working environment, continuous training and mentoring provided. If you are consistently transparent about your career goals and work hard to over attain your quota, they will help you with opportunities for growth.

Cons

Pay is average for a company of its' size and caliber. Quotas are aggressive and commission is capped.

The people are nice, but the drive is lacking

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HomeAway has a lot of great people, who are easy to get along with. The friendly culture lets you feel extremely welcome in the office, and the company provides great benefits.

Cons

There are a lot of complacent employees, the drive seems to be lacking. Lack of recognition and compensation for great work leads to a low level of motivation. Communication of these issues is also extremely low between peers and their management.

Advice to Management

Communication is key to keeping everybody happy. Make sure every employee gets personal exposure to management with a good environment to candidly discuss concerns.

Good people, focused top brass, tough to move up

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, the people who work here want to be here, and there is a feeling that we're on the cusp of great things. People are genuine and friendly and there aren't too many corporate games to play.

Cons

Moving up is difficult. There is rarely a clear succession plan and raises and promotions seem to come at random. In order to get a new position within the company, you have to be "in the know" as opposed to just a great fit for the job.

Advice to Management

Encourage managers to guide their employees toward the skills they need to move up. This will keep employees engaged and working hard to move forward with the company.

Great company culture, everyone can be a contributor

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at HomeAway can be a contributor; it's an environment where fresh ideas and hard-work are valued. As a manager, my work-life balance is very manageable. I feel very motivated to come to work every day, and the pay-back is flexibility, great benefits, and a feeling of inclusion.

Cons

As the company succeeds and expands globally, it is hard to maintain a sense of inclusion across all global offices. I manage a global team, with some team members in the US and a few in Europe. The company is extremely Austin-centric, but I believe that everyone at the C-Level understands this challenge and is working to ensure that we have a unified, global team.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire experienced, talented C-level team members globally.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Engineering Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part of HomeAway are its talented and helpful employees, highly engaged and professional senior execs and an environment that encourages work-life balance

Cons

The only con I can think of for HomeAway and Austin is the unbearable heat during 3 months of summer. But for those who moved here from cold regions of the country, the Summer in Austin is no different from Winter in North East.

Advice to Management

Continue the open honest communication to the whole company every friday and the relentless focus on 3 year goals.