HomeAway Reviews

Reset
4.0
HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

Pros
  • They make a genuine effort to accommodate work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Fun and social work environment - lots of social events to get to know colleague's even better (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Good luck keeping your work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Company is growing bigger everyday and could fall victim to a 'corporate' environment (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent!

Current Employee - Front Desk/Project Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Front Desk/Project Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HomeAway is the best company I've worked for. I love it here. - Great office environment and great company culture. Very laid back and relaxed. - Really nice offices with game rooms for decompressing - Snacks, coffee, and sodas provided - Great corporate events and happy hours, fun parties - Plenty of room for growth - Eco friendly company, focused on recycling and green initiatives - Alternate transportation methods such as company provided bike lockers, discounted monthly bus passes, and shuttles to go between offices. - Company is constantly growing creating room to move up within the company - Company provides nice computer equipment to work - Senior management seems eager to be helpful to their employees

Cons

- Benefits could be better, but are better than I've had elsewhere. - Parking is an issue if you work at Headquarters, but they do provide affordable options.

2. Employee Culture is Tremendous!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely employee focused! Weekly C-team presentation to employees - with live video to other offices - that keep folks abreast of changes before they happen. Annual engagement surveys results are turned into action-items and addressed with the company. Plenty of opportunities to engage socially with teammates. Employee's individual interests are celebrated.

Cons

It's a fast growing company, so you have to be agile and able to adapt to change. If you want to do the same thing every day and cringe when facing change - this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it real and relevant. Management is being hired from "big player" companies because the organization is growing so quick. It's important that you recognize that the employees (especially those that have been there since it was a start-up) still hold onto the "grass-root", "roll-up your sleeves and get dirty" approach. This requires getting to know your employees and their interests/skills that are not part of their day-to-day job. Then you can leverage those hidden talents. The company and retention levels will benefit.

3. No complaints really

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, friendly coworkers, relaxed environment, flexible. The kind of company that understands you're a human first, and a worker second.

Cons

No free cooked meals, no roof-top swimming pool.

Great Company - Somewhat Challenging Environment

Current Employee - Project Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is a great place to gain some experience in all different job types. You will be very, very busy no matter what department you are in. They have a lot of employees with different backgrounds, so if you are wondering "will they hire me" you should give it a try. They are placing a lot of emphasis on employee culture, have perks all year long around that mission. Office spaces are all top tier and new.

Cons

In general the industry they are in has become very competitive. If you can't handle a fast paced, ever-changing direction, great amount of uncertainty, stay away. Also, maybe not the best place if you want someone else to plan or help your career - if you want to move about you have to figure that out on your own, seems like more people leave than move around to other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Do fewer things better. Lead don't follow. Inspire don't micromanage.

Awesome growing company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the fast pace work environment and how wonderful the company treats its employees.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about the company.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing awesome!

Stop bringing micro managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, Great culture, Excellent Team. Senior Management - Directors and VPs are great. Culture is great.

Cons

Bad Managers are getting hired from Hart Hanks. Very poor middle tier Managers Value is getting lost

Advice to Management

Stop bringing micro managers. If you must bring these people do not put them on the management positions. You are taking away our culture and losing the talent.

Losing sight of the vision

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time

Pros

They're the top dogs in this still emerging market. With that said comes a lot of passion for the idea, and a lot of smart people behind. As other's have said, free snacks! It's been stated ad-neaseum, but it does help morale some. I went to work more than a few times and, while not always super healthy, just snacked on the food and saved money. Everyone is very friendly. Lots of ways to win cool stuff, contests, giveaways, etc. HQ'd in Austin, which fits the local culture nicely. Very relaxed environment if not on a customer facing job.

Cons

I worked in their customer support dept, and then eventually handled escalations. I've done my fair share of call center jobs, and while it's a dead end for many, I embraced the challenge as I thought it would be a good next step for me. I've seen what works, and what doesn't, and initially I had thought HA was doing everything right. Well, then I was wrong. Then RM2 happened, then more and more changes occurred. What you need to consider is the average HA/VRBO user are generally older, retired, and often have this as their only means of income. With that comes with a general lack of technological savvyness, and being quick to anger and agitation that they perceive HA is forcing change onto them which they may not think is best. Now of course, you can never please anyone. I often sat down with my, at the time, lead, and discussed how to best handle the situation. I told him, "Well, you hear the calls, you understand the concern here, right?" The fix was to continue to build up trust and support in the product, and educating the users on the changes. Their answer was to throw mandatory OT at the problem, hence MEGA burn out. Oh well.

Advice to Management

There's so much arbitrary middle management that just convolutes the problem. Listen more closely to the CS management in regards to how we can ease customer frustration, instead of rolling out change after change and telling us to deal with it.

9. My Time at HomeAway

Current Contractor - Data Analyst (Consultant/Contractor) in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Data Analyst (Consultant/Contractor) in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Expanding company. Great importance on Data and the power of Data.

Cons

Still trying to fit into it's "new" identity and role within industry

Advice to Management

Continue to find new and innovative ways to motivate and promote a company success. Employees really enjoy working for a Team...even more for a winning team!

10. Great place, great people!

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

HomeAway's culture is great! Although we are a big company with multiple offices across the globe, we hire such great people. Not only are my co-workers smart, dedicated, and dependable, they are a ton of fun and keep the office life full of laughter.

Cons

When implementing change, sometimes the details get lost and come up as fires. Taking the time to plan and get all necessary vital information before implementing change would make for a better, easier implementation.

Advice to Management

Get to know your teams on a more day-to-day level. Depending on the team, quarterly gatherings happen at the least but it would be nice to see management around the office more and be able to share information in a more informal atmosphere.

11. Not a good place to work

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

good peers, truly love my teammates. smart, fun, hardworking

Cons

terrible middle management/director level. a bunch of people who have no clue what they are doing but have egos that get in the way of them admitting it. no support from hr... they just try to quiet you down or push you out the door.

RSS Feed </> Embed