HomeAway

Updated December 15, 2014
4.4

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

Pros
  • Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do (in 15 reviews)

• Fun and social work environment - lots of social events to get to know colleague's even better (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is good, plus commissions , the work-life balance is definitely positive (in 8 reviews)

• The company is growing FAST - generally more of a positive than a negative, but communication between departments could be improved (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great family to be a part of

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Without a doubt the best company I've wirked for. People are very friendly, there is a real sense if comradery. The business takes very good care of employees too, and management is keen for employees to be given lots of responsibilities to encourage their careers to evolve.

Cons

When I left the company, it was going through a transition from a start up to a public company. Consequently a lot of new burocracy was introduced and a lot of people who had been with the company for years were unceremoniously let go by new department heads who were brought in from the outside. I was unaffected by these changes, but the new atmosphere was not one in wish I wanted to continue working, hence I started looking for other opportunities elsewhere.

Realize that the people working for you care a great deal about the company's success - and each other. When you treat one person as disposable, you are likely to lose a lot of others out of protest.

The people are nice, but the drive is lacking

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HomeAway has a lot of great people, who are easy to get along with. The friendly culture lets you feel extremely welcome in the office, and the company provides great benefits.

Cons

There are a lot of complacent employees, the drive seems to be lacking. Lack of recognition and compensation for great work leads to a low level of motivation. Communication of these issues is also extremely low between peers and their management.

Communication is key to keeping everybody happy. Make sure every employee gets personal exposure to management with a good environment to candidly discuss concerns.

Good people, focused top brass, tough to move up

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, the people who work here want to be here, and there is a feeling that we're on the cusp of great things. People are genuine and friendly and there aren't too many corporate games to play.

Cons

Moving up is difficult. There is rarely a clear succession plan and raises and promotions seem to come at random. In order to get a new position within the company, you have to be "in the know" as opposed to just a great fit for the job.

Encourage managers to guide their employees toward the skills they need to move up. This will keep employees engaged and working hard to move forward with the company.

Great company culture, everyone can be a contributor

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone at HomeAway can be a contributor; it's an environment where fresh ideas and hard-work are valued. As a manager, my work-life balance is very manageable. I feel very motivated to come to work every day, and the pay-back is flexibility, great benefits, and a feeling of inclusion.

Cons

As the company succeeds and expands globally, it is hard to maintain a sense of inclusion across all global offices. I manage a global team, with some team members in the US and a few in Europe. The company is extremely Austin-centric, but I believe that everyone at the C-Level understands this challenge and is working to ensure that we have a unified, global team.

Continue to hire experienced, talented C-level team members globally.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Engineering Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of HomeAway are its talented and helpful employees, highly engaged and professional senior execs and an environment that encourages work-life balance

Cons

The only con I can think of for HomeAway and Austin is the unbearable heat during 3 months of summer. But for those who moved here from cold regions of the country, the Summer in Austin is no different from Winter in North East.

Continue the open honest communication to the whole company every friday and the relentless focus on 3 year goals.

Contract worker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, snacks, open lay out

Cons

Only a temp, can't really answer

It's great to finally work for a SUCCESSFUL company that CARES about its employees.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HomeAway doesn't waste time or resources. Everything I build as a software developer gets used and adds value to the company. I can't tell you how many man-years worth of development I've seen thrown away at other companies because they built something nobody wanted or needed.

Our leadership is strong, has a vision, and knows how to execute on that vision. At some companies leadership talks but nothing happens. I don't see that happening at HomeAway. Our leadership is in command of our business and I see change, good change, every year that I'm here.

HomeAway is successful and they share that success with employees. I'm very satisfied with my salary, bonus, benefits, and incentives. It's clear to me HomeAway cares about retention and doesn't see me as just another cog in the wheel.

Cons

We have very interesting problems to solve but not all of our work here is glamorous. Yes, there are a lot of legacy solutions around that still have to be kept up so not everything we work on is earth shattering or exciting.

Keep up the amazing job. Keep us nimble and continue to be fearless about change and doing what it takes to take our success to the next level.

Great company with great leadership

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HomeAway is the first company that I have ever worked for that does what is says it will do. They foster an environment of career development. They make a genuine effort to accommodate work life balance. They offer challenging work in a fast-moving and new industry. The leadership knows what they are doing and they communicate with their employees consistently.

Cons

Accelerated growth sometimes outpaces the infrastructure required to handle it but this is a good challenge to have.

Keep up the great work with creating a customer AND employee-focused company.

Excellent C-Team that look after their employees, have a strong vision and are executing on it.

Current Employee - Senior Software Staff Member in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Staff Member in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Results based, great working environment, lots of smart people and lots of fun people. Small teams focused on delivery. Great benefits and a world wide presence means travel opportunities. It's also just a fun industry we work in - much nicer to spend time writing software that helps people have vacations than something dry.

Cons

Fast growth with time to market pressure.

Great business, great people, great culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and culture.

Cons

I do not have any real negatives.