HomeAway

HomeAway Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples

Brian Sharples

Pros
  • HomeAway has a great C-Team and core set of products(in 6 reviews)

• Also, HomeAway has some great people, but many are leaving(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Good luck keeping your work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Communication between teams is non-existent even with different teams of developers(in 3 reviews)

Work hard and get rewarded!

Product Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe company really cares about its people and I'm not talking about in compensation and benefits - those are definitely on the high end but they actually care about if you're doing okay or not in all aspects of your life.

Willing to invest in the right technology and people as evidenced by over $50MM in investment every year!

Very goal-oriented and metrics-driven which in my opinion drives the best companies in the world (along with leadership vision and engaged employees).

ConsNot as big as IBM or Dell but no sweet spot of 200-500 employees where you know everyone. But the size brings benefits in technology investment.

A fast-paced, employee-focused company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWithin hours of posting my hire to HomeAway on LinkedIn, I had new contacts for jobs at Amazon, Google, VMWare, etc. Companies know of HomeAway's rep - they choose good people, and make good people great.
    Compensation is very competitive, and the compensation conversation during interview is very healthy and open.
    Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do.
    There have been many opportunities to self-start a project, fill a need, or learn from others. Between self-motivation, contests and compensatory rewards - there are many incentives for personal growth.
    They're always looking for new tech, so it's easy to get experience with the latest and greatest tools and hardware.

ConsInter-team communication can be difficult, given the fast-pace of projects, goals that overlap between teams and physical location (three offices in Austin alone). This is not a HomeAway-specific problem, but one that all companies this size/speed face.

Exciting times at this growing company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat opportunities as HomeAway really becomes the leader in the vacation rental market place - a newer, exciting and fast growth segment in the travel industry. The chance to work on interesting projects that really impact the company, even though it is a fairly large multi-national. Competitive salary with great benefits and other employee perks like flexible work schedules, equity, 4 weeks vacation and an annual vacation rental paid for by the company!

ConsFast growth can sometimes lead to immature business processes, but these can also be great opportunities to do some really meaningful work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully they will continue to focus on career growth opprotunities for their employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Established Company with Start-up Atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDon't know if you would fit better in a start up or established company? HomeAway is the answer. Plenty of freedom to explore new ideas and establish yourself, without that pesky risk of going under! Friendly people, fast paced, fun industry!

ConsBe prepared to juggle multiple things at once, own more you can reasonably manage to do well. Sometimes the room is filled with people and the most tenured has only here a few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementFOCUS - you really can't do a lot of things, and do them all well. Customers are getting confused, refine the message and the business plan and then do that really well. Focus on stuff that is customer facing first.

Great company doing great things!

Project Management (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFun, creative atmosphere. Weekly meetings from senior staff to all employees. Great benefits including health, dental, life, etc and great vacation benefits.

Conssuper fast paced environment with lots of moving parts - it can be challenging to keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementLove how involved you are with employee communications, you really make employees feel valued and part of the team

Great place to work

Training Specialist (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat benefits, good management, good work life balance.

ConsGrowing so quickly that there are some growing pains, still trying to organize management and hierarchy.

Great past 8 years

Sales Agent (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Prosgreat benefits and also alot of growth

Consthe company as grown fast

Great company but don't work in Sales

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAmazing benefits, good location, nice people and incredible PTO

ConsRoom for growth in Sales Department is limited. Don't even think about joining the Sales team unless you want to stay in Sales permanently. There is zero chance of moving into another department unless you want to take a pay cut and move down to Customer Support or Trust and Security Department. Chances of being promoted in Sales is slim as well.

Great start at homeaway

Data Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsJust started couple weeks ago, and very impressed how people well knowledgeable and professional with the great attitude and fun to work environment. Great opportunity to work on different markets with a lot of different teams. Atmosphere is really life-friendly-but very professional. People try to contribute a lot to the work duties.

ConsSome times it is different to catch up, due to the fast moving business.

Fun company to work for, with solid colleagues, helping customers make money & take vacations

Software Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe culture here is great - HomeAway is willing to shell out some of its cash in order to build beautiful offices and provide staff the resources they need to be effective and want to come in to the office each day. Almost everyone in the development org is focused on providing as much value to customers as quickly as possible

ConsAs the company grows, it becomes more difficult to get all parties in a room together to quickly make decisions and turn around solutions. These are growing pains which hopefully become easier to deal with over time. The development organization is not as agile as it preaches it would like to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus. As a company, I believe we can move even faster with more specific focus on the most important goals (top 3, not top 10). The more we spread ourselves thin, the slower everything moves in the machine and the less flexibility we have to drive real innovative new ideas forward

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!