HomeAway Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
4.4

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

Pros
  • Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits and a world wide presence means travel opportunities (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is good, plus commissions , the work-life balance is definitely positive (in 8 reviews)

• Even though you could easily work from home it is not allowed in these departments (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Perfect balance between a startup and a large company.

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Business is full of challenges and fun, talented employees, executive team has a great vision, the company treats the employee very well and there are opportunity to work with teams all across the globe.

Cons

The fast growth brought some red tape in various process that sometime impedes creativity and pace of innovation.

Maintain the vision and the culture to keep HomeAway being a great place to work.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Engineering Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of HomeAway are its talented and helpful employees, highly engaged and professional senior execs and an environment that encourages work-life balance

Cons

The only con I can think of for HomeAway and Austin is the unbearable heat during 3 months of summer. But for those who moved here from cold regions of the country, the Summer in Austin is no different from Winter in North East.

Continue the open honest communication to the whole company every friday and the relentless focus on 3 year goals.

Great company with great leadership

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HomeAway is the first company that I have ever worked for that does what is says it will do. They foster an environment of career development. They make a genuine effort to accommodate work life balance. They offer challenging work in a fast-moving and new industry. The leadership knows what they are doing and they communicate with their employees consistently.

Cons

Accelerated growth sometimes outpaces the infrastructure required to handle it but this is a good challenge to have.

Keep up the great work with creating a customer AND employee-focused company.

It's great to finally work for a SUCCESSFUL company that CARES about its employees.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HomeAway doesn't waste time or resources. Everything I build as a software developer gets used and adds value to the company. I can't tell you how many man-years worth of development I've seen thrown away at other companies because they built something nobody wanted or needed.

Our leadership is strong, has a vision, and knows how to execute on that vision. At some companies leadership talks but nothing happens. I don't see that happening at HomeAway. Our leadership is in command of our business and I see change, good change, every year that I'm here.

HomeAway is successful and they share that success with employees. I'm very satisfied with my salary, bonus, benefits, and incentives. It's clear to me HomeAway cares about retention and doesn't see me as just another cog in the wheel.

Cons

We have very interesting problems to solve but not all of our work here is glamorous. Yes, there are a lot of legacy solutions around that still have to be kept up so not everything we work on is earth shattering or exciting.

Keep up the amazing job. Keep us nimble and continue to be fearless about change and doing what it takes to take our success to the next level.

Excellent C-Team that look after their employees, have a strong vision and are executing on it.

Current Employee - Senior Software Staff Member in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Staff Member in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Results based, great working environment, lots of smart people and lots of fun people. Small teams focused on delivery. Great benefits and a world wide presence means travel opportunities. It's also just a fun industry we work in - much nicer to spend time writing software that helps people have vacations than something dry.

Cons

Fast growth with time to market pressure.

By far the best company I have worked for

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

Pay is above the Austin average and yet the company culture truly values work/life balance. This is the first time in my life that I feel I have been treated like an adult at work. The laid back atmosphere makes coming to the office an enjoyable experience. Management is very open and friendly and employees are given excellent hardware. Combine that with greater than average PTO, modern tech stack/development processes, and free snacks and you have a winning combination.

Cons

Free snacks, meals and breakfast tacos require a larger than imagined amount of self control.

Keep everything the same! Keep work/life balance a center pillar of HomeAway's company culture.

Great business, great people, great culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and culture.

Cons

I do not have any real negatives.

Great company, smart engineers ...some growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great offices all over the word. To highlight two - HQ is at 5th and lamar, and our London office is overlooking Buckingham Palace! There is also a program called "DeskAway" that allows employees to work out of any office they choose (subject to manager approval of course)
    - "bear stay" is another perk that allows employees to stay at a HomeAway property free of charge. Employees get 1 bear stay a year
    - The people are wonderful, engineers are smart and helpful. Bryon Jacob is the Principal Architect and is exceptional. Not only is he brilliant, but he's also one of the nicest and helpful individuals i've ever worked with.
    - 4 weeks vacation
    - Tons of other smaller perks - bike lockers, health fairs (massages, free flu shots...)
    - Stock options that are actually worth something
    - Executive team knows what they're doing

All in all, I've always felt like HomeAway goes out of their way to make this a fun place to work.

Cons

- 401K matching could be better (the max match is up to $1000 and it vests over 4 years)
    - Work-life balance is sometimes a bit lopsided. I enjoy the work I do but often times i spent far too much time working.
    - HomeAway has grown quickly and at times we don't have the infrastructure to support such a large organization

Great people, laid-back atmosphere

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I feel like I'm supported by very smart people on my team and it's apparent that the projects we work on add value which is rewarding. The company tries to make work fun as much as they can. It's a nice size- established, but not overly corporate or bureaucratic.

Cons

New office location is not ideal. As a developer, there is a lot of legacy code to deal with which can cause headaches.

Great place to work, great top leadership, mediocre middle management

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The top leaders at this company are accessible and know what they are doing. The benefits are great and the culture "can be" awesome if you work at the right office for the right team and manager.

Cons

If you are not part of one of the "core" teams, your opportunities to grow and be noticeable are very tiny or non-existent. Multiple layers of management added because of hyper growth, causing some teams to have inexperienced managers that care more about their own career and promotions than that of their team.

Pay attention to the edges. Look at the people managing smaller teams, especially those outside of the main offices or head quarters.