HomeAway

HomeAway Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples

Brian Sharples

Pros:
  • "HomeAway has a great C-Team and core set of products"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Lots of vacation time, free snacks and drinks, showers"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some employees are allowed to work from home and the rest are not"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good luck keeping your work/life balance"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast-paced company with incredible growth

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHomeAway is an amazing place to work and offers incredible opportunities for young professionals. This was my first job out of college and in the time I've been here we've acquired numerous companies, gone public, purchased super bowl ads and much more - all of which have provided invaluable experience for my career. While these milestones are all in the past now, the company is showing no signs of slowing down and because we're still relatively small, you feel as though your contributions really can make in impact on the business.

As for the day-to-day, the culture in the office is absolutely work-hard, play-hard. We have plenty of happy hours, parties, etc. to balance out the long list of to-dos and aggressive deadlines.

ConsWe're definitely working through the growing pains of becoming a larger company and having to institute more process, which makes us feel less nimble, at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is very transparent and open when it comes to providing updates on our business and strategic priorities, which is fantastic. However, it would be great to have their support and attendance at more of the fun, cultural activities - e.g. Charity projects, happy hours, etc. Their less accessible than they used to be in that way because of their increasingly demanding schedules.

Better than many companies.

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for less than a year

ProsOffered a lot of vacation time. Management tries to work around vacation time and non-work stressors.

ConsLaunches need to be more prepared with software to customer interface with better faq knowledge base

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on answering the hard questions to customers is just a rewarding as the common questions, include answers for those no so common but are reoccurring to external faq portal.

Lots of growing pains, becoming too big and sluggish

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HomeAway full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a lot of great people who work here, the culture can be great and fun (lots of social opportunities), fun office space

Cons- would rather hire externally from big name companies vs promote from within
- good old boys club, upper management is primarily male and the women in leadership roles would rather network with the men then lead or mentor other women
- depending on department not a lot of room for growth so it's easy to become stagnate
- at times it seems like upper management has no clue what is going on at the mid level and below
- very short sighted on product development, looking for quick gains (or catch up) vs longer term growth
- married to the numbers, while analytics should drive the core of the business there are times when you have to invest in some non-measurable activities
- benefits growing worse over time (higher cost of health benefits, paying for parking downtown)

Advice to Senior Management- look to value and reward the employees you currently have instead of always having a "grass is greener" mentality by hiring externally to fulfill senior management positions
- pay attention growing or attracting female talent
- make sure not to get too big for your britches
- don't be so short sighted and have some patience

Good tech shop, but unrealistic expectation

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits with vacation perks. Great people. New uniformed technology stack with modern framework. Generally good high-level management. Good environment for entry-level / internship positions.

ConsBe warn, once you reach or join at certain senior level, management has high expectation of you. You need to wear many hats of PM, manager, besides your dev job to justify your level at the same average industry salary level. Good luck keeping your work/life balance. Some funny expectations are coming from a web blog somebody sent around.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with your employees more than investors, tech events.

If you are a database professional, run far far away!

Database Engineer (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Company. Great Culture. Great Location. Great Products. Great Perks. Okay Pay. Except for the Database Department this company rocks!

ConsThe Database Department is BY FAR the most backward and oppressive I've experienced. Overworked. Disempowered. Unappreciated. Micromanaged. Oppressed. Subjected to daily stand-ups where public humiliation of peer inadequacies was commonplace. The smartest most dedicated team was treated like a bunch of retards. Highest turn-over due to low job satisfaction I've ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementDatabase Managers: Empower your team, trust them, let them make decisions that aren't your decisions in disguise, give positive feedback, value your team and show it more often than you show your displeasure of a team that doesn't necessarily share your backward database philosophy..

Great Industry; Culture Sorely Lacking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

ProsHealthy work-life balance. Tasteful office space. Convenient office locations. Good benefits, although not competitive with other travel start ups in Silicon Valley/SF area. Some smart, hardworking folks in the trenches.

ConsCulture was both hierarchical and political. Apart from a couple of (non-inspiring) female VP's, the company is totally male-dominated. Territoriality is a way of life ("Don't touch that. My team owns it!") And yet, ownership did nothing to ensure results. (It simply protected insecure higher ups who were afraid they'd be eclipsed by real talent and execution.) Far from a sense of "we all succeed or fail together," the pervasive attitude at HomeAway was all about "how can I get ahead?" The end customer - the homeowner and the traveler - were a complete after thought. It's no wonder that Airbnb has danced circles around Homeaway -- and in a fraction of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe humble. Think less about advancing your own career, and more about leading, empowering, and championing your team. Learn how to communicate effectively. Be open to mentoring your employees. And listen to your customers.

Great Company and Benefits!

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeautiful offices, 4 weeks of vacation and 3 floating holidays, opportunities for growth. The people you're working with are world-class and excited to be here. Plus, you're working on a vacation rental website. You'll get ideas for your next getaway while you're updating the site!
It's also important to work for a growing company whose product is far more valuable than the price charged for it. This is one of the reasons for our continued success, and the success of the customers who list on our sites.
Finally, we have lots of celebrations and opportunities for recognition (and accountability). Quarterly goals are supported by the teams you work with and they throw a wicked holiday party. The Spring Picnic is a chance to bring your family out for a fun day of petting zoos, great food and games. There are also several team-specific events like rooftop BBQs and afternoon trips to the movies that go on from time to time.
You'll love it at HomeAway!

ConsThere are times where a project can get a little out of control because something changes with the business. It's important to stay flexible!

Advice to Senior ManagementI really like all the communication available to employees. We have a weekly all staff meeting, several internal and external communications like the Birdhouse Buzz and Blueprints blog. I feel like there's always information available if you're seeking it and the C-Team is more accessible than other places I've worked.

Nice company to work for

Customer Support Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

ProsGood compensation and benefits.Management is always available and will take your needs into consideration.

ConsNot very flexible with scheduling

There's a lot of work to do around HomeAway and it's great that everyone is up for the task.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

ProsHomeAway has a lot of brilliant people and interesting work that needs to be done. They're very interested in growing you as an employee and making sure your career progresses as you'd like.

ConsWork and life balance can turn into work and no life if you don't watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep at it. Being the sexy choice doesn't matter as long as we're the best choice.

Easily the best job I've ever had.

Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for less than a year

ProsIncredible culture. Amazing work/life balance. Autonomy, being treated like an adult. HomeAway really really takes care of their employees. In my 7 months here, I have been constantly amazed at all the little (and big) things that homeaway does for its employees.

Cons...I guess the fact that it's so large can be cumbersome from time to time. But they wear it well.

Advice to Senior ManagementPretty much the best management I've ever worked for. Keep it up.

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!

HomeAway Videos

HomeAway – Why Work for Us?

HomeAway, Inc. based in Austin, Texas, the world's leading online marketplace for the vacation rental industry, with sites representing approximately 890,000 paid listings of vacation rental homes in 190 countries… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HomeAway reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by HomeAway employees.