HomeAway Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

4.4

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

Pros
  • Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do (in 6 reviews)

• HomeAway has a great C-Team and core set of products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Good luck keeping your work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Growing so quickly that there are some growing pains, still trying to organize management and hierarchy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that you will really enjoy being a part of.

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are treated as an adult and they trust you to do your work to the best of your abilities, you are not micromanaged.
    The vibe is great and free snacks and drinks help.
    Definitely a job that could become a career.
    More vacation than I have had at any other job.

Cons

Not a whole lot wrong with this place.

Very rewarding summer internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team to work alongside, a lot of room to grow, and a lot of positive changes happening constantly.

Cons

A little behind in keeping up to date with trends and practices, a lot of focus on competitors, and a heavy lack of proper brand marketing. I was not there long enough to truly get how management affects long term work, or how the CEO and company's values and priorities affected others.

There's no place like HomeAway. My experience has exceeded every expectation. I can't imagine being anywhere else.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people.
    The flexibility to work when you need to and at your own pace as long as you meet your deadlines.
    The facilities and workspace.
    The technology and ability to work with employees all over the world.
    The work hard, play hard mentality/culture

Cons

I didn't meet many people outside of my department. I wish it was easier to do so, but the people I did meet are absolutely amazing.

Keep doing what your doing. Maintain the comradery and recognize areas that which it can improve between departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it!

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid culture (feels genuine and not forced).
    You will work with very talented people.
    Pay and benefits are above average in my experience.
    Work is challenging and rewarding.
    Work-life balance is strongly encouraged (which is new for me).
    Overall, they tend to hire very good managers and I feel supported and empowered.
    They provide a shuttle with wifi if you need to get from one company location to another.
    Quality work environment and free snacks (be careful, you can put on 5 - 10 pounds quickly)!

Cons

Many locations throughout Austin so can be a bit tough when you need to meet with people face-to-face.
    Growing at a rapid rate so there are always too many things you don't have time to get to.

Thank you for an awesome place to work. Keep up the great work!

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and culture are by far the best things about HomeAway. Everyone is extremely intelligent and the culture is very down-to-earth for a company of this size. There is no dress code and managers trust employees to manage their own time as long as their getting their work done.

Cons

With all of the websites that HomeAway operates, things can be very complex and take much longer than you might expect to get done. This is the challenge when you're acquiring and integrating the technology and people from other companies several times per year.

Laser focus on top few priorities vs. mediocre focus on too many priorities.

3 years in and still happy, challenged, and growing

Current Employee - Customer Experience  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dynamic environment (not a good fit if you prefer little change), love the challenge of building up a new industry. I work in Customer Experience and we get to interact with all customer segments and help keep them engaged and doing their best. We work hard for our colleagues and HomeAway does a lot of good things to recognize employees and maintain a hardworking but fun culture. People who tend to complain a lot may never have worked anywhere else...you really gonna complain about the specifics of free food being supplied what feels like daily? The company is remarkably transparent in sharing plans with every employee -- we are trusted with a lot of information.

Cons

Having grown through rapid acquisition, we are still working to simplify our systems and balance investments new stuff versus making current tools the most excellent they can be. Reality is that growth of teams may also mean that advancement opportunities exist, but you have to go after them. CS is open 24/7/365 and while that is a point of pride in excellent service, it sometimes feels we are the only ones in the company doing so, although that is not true.

Obsess even more about our customers

Working at HomeAway

I have been working at HomeAway

Pros

Great Company. Great experience. I definitely recommend working here to anyone who is interested in having a great career.

Cons

I'm not sure I have much negative to say. The company has been growing very fast and it has been hard to manage the growing pains.

Great culture and sharp senior management team

Current Employee - Director  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting industry (tough to beat travel)
    Senior leadership (CEO, COO in particular)
    Great, fun company culture
    Very little politics by corporate standards

Cons

Not as nimble as would expect of a company of its size
    Some managers in roles that may not be equipped for

Continue to preserve company culture but look at org structure and processes to improve employee efficiency and speed to market

Good company, but don't work in Customer Service, FRBO Sales or PM Sales. Least valued employees.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are great: great health insurance, dental, vision, vacation, life insurance. The offices are nice. They bring in breakfast every friday, and provide ongoing training.

Cons

If you are working in frbo sales, pm sales or customer service departments there is no work life balance. You must clock in and clock out everyday like you are working your very first job. If you work in any of these departments be prepared to stay there. It is highly unlikely you will ever get the chance to work in another department or get promoted. Even though you could easily work from home it is not allowed in these departments. Managers are young and play favorites. Salary is entry level and if you are in sales, your commissions are capped. Systems crash a lot and seem patched together.

Promote from within. It is nearly impossible to move out of sales or customer service department. You need to give these people more opportunity to work in different departments. Customer service has a high turn over rate and I believe you could solve this by hiring enough staff to cover the phone lines and provide a better work life balance.

Success and confidence with a touch of ADD

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many really smart people working together to build a new market. The only place I have ever worked where the products I get to participate in actually change and improve an industry. In that way it feels like a startup in a new space. Compensation and benefits are very good in Austin. Management is focused in evolving people and pushing us hard to achieve. Product roles require building up leadership muscles given the highly matrixed organization and fragmented aspirations (both a pro and con). On the surface, the products and problems look easy, but they are not given a very complex customer base and the ownership of global marketplace. A great challenge that touches both consumer and SMB classes of problems. One of the few companies where mobile is a value prop vs. a trendy thing to do.

Cons

The company suffers from ADD, which translates into resources being spread very thin, product MVPs stretching the the definition of "minimum", and a lot of conquer and move on behavior. It's a delicate balance between being a public company focused on quarterly revenue targets and having a group of passionate people trying to build great products.

Focus on reducing complexity to gain leverage.

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!