HomeAway

HomeAway Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples

Brian Sharples

Pros
  • Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do (in 6 reviews)

• HomeAway has a great C-Team and core set of products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Good luck keeping your work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Growing so quickly that there are some growing pains, still trying to organize management and hierarchy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

HomeAway takes care of it's employees

Senior Database Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe people working at home away are some of the most skilled and approachable co-workers I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

ConsHomeAway is growing rapidly and is facing the associated challenges of navigating from a small workforce to a large one. Some workflow processes are in flux and I feel some teams could use some lean methodologies to improve output. This is common for companies that grow rapidly and is often a good problem to have.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a lean expert to examine some processes.

Work hard, play hard; travel the world

PR Specialist (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat people supporting a great product. Wonderful laid-back atmosphere and some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. Execs are extremely approachable and an open forum is encouraged. Benefits package is fantastic and travel is actually encouraged.

ConsThis company is growing FAST. It tends to be a good thing more often than a bad thing though.

HomeAway is a great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsHomeAway does a great job of looking after the employees, providing good benefits and is fun culture.
    It is a global company, so working with teams across the world is very interesting.
    There is never a shortage of new opportunities at HomeAway.
    At the end of the day, we are discussing and looking at vacation rental homes across the globe...how great is that!
    The executive team is sharp and always looking for way to challenge the status quo and improve.

ConsThere are many initiatives, so priorities can change on a daily basis. This is really no different than other companies of this size, but for some people a fast paced work environment with competing priorites may not be for them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Success and confidence with a touch of ADD

Product Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMany really smart people working together to build a new market. The only place I have ever worked where the products I get to participate in actually change and improve an industry. In that way it feels like a startup in a new space. Compensation and benefits are very good in Austin. Management is focused in evolving people and pushing us hard to achieve. Product roles require building up leadership muscles given the highly matrixed organization and fragmented aspirations (both a pro and con). On the surface, the products and problems look easy, but they are not given a very complex customer base and the ownership of global marketplace. A great challenge that touches both consumer and SMB classes of problems. One of the few companies where mobile is a value prop vs. a trendy thing to do.

ConsThe company suffers from ADD, which translates into resources being spread very thin, product MVPs stretching the the definition of "minimum", and a lot of conquer and move on behavior. It's a delicate balance between being a public company focused on quarterly revenue targets and having a group of passionate people trying to build great products.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on reducing complexity to gain leverage.

Great company doing great things!

Project Management (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFun, creative atmosphere. Weekly meetings from senior staff to all employees. Great benefits including health, dental, life, etc and great vacation benefits.

Conssuper fast paced environment with lots of moving parts - it can be challenging to keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementLove how involved you are with employee communications, you really make employees feel valued and part of the team

Work hard and get rewarded!

Product Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe company really cares about its people and I'm not talking about in compensation and benefits - those are definitely on the high end but they actually care about if you're doing okay or not in all aspects of your life.

Willing to invest in the right technology and people as evidenced by over $50MM in investment every year!

Very goal-oriented and metrics-driven which in my opinion drives the best companies in the world (along with leadership vision and engaged employees).

ConsNot as big as IBM or Dell but no sweet spot of 200-500 employees where you know everyone. But the size brings benefits in technology investment.

A fast-paced, employee-focused company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWithin hours of posting my hire to HomeAway on LinkedIn, I had new contacts for jobs at Amazon, Google, VMWare, etc. Companies know of HomeAway's rep - they choose good people, and make good people great.
    Compensation is very competitive, and the compensation conversation during interview is very healthy and open.
    Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do.
    There have been many opportunities to self-start a project, fill a need, or learn from others. Between self-motivation, contests and compensatory rewards - there are many incentives for personal growth.
    They're always looking for new tech, so it's easy to get experience with the latest and greatest tools and hardware.

ConsInter-team communication can be difficult, given the fast-pace of projects, goals that overlap between teams and physical location (three offices in Austin alone). This is not a HomeAway-specific problem, but one that all companies this size/speed face.

Exciting times at this growing company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat opportunities as HomeAway really becomes the leader in the vacation rental market place - a newer, exciting and fast growth segment in the travel industry. The chance to work on interesting projects that really impact the company, even though it is a fairly large multi-national. Competitive salary with great benefits and other employee perks like flexible work schedules, equity, 4 weeks vacation and an annual vacation rental paid for by the company!

ConsFast growth can sometimes lead to immature business processes, but these can also be great opportunities to do some really meaningful work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully they will continue to focus on career growth opprotunities for their employees.

Established Company with Start-up Atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDon't know if you would fit better in a start up or established company? HomeAway is the answer. Plenty of freedom to explore new ideas and establish yourself, without that pesky risk of going under! Friendly people, fast paced, fun industry!

ConsBe prepared to juggle multiple things at once, own more you can reasonably manage to do well. Sometimes the room is filled with people and the most tenured has only here a few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementFOCUS - you really can't do a lot of things, and do them all well. Customers are getting confused, refine the message and the business plan and then do that really well. Focus on stuff that is customer facing first.

Great place to work

Training Specialist (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat benefits, good management, good work life balance.

ConsGrowing so quickly that there are some growing pains, still trying to organize management and hierarchy.

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!