HomeAway Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
4.3

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

Pros
  • Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do (in 6 reviews)

• HomeAway has a great C-Team and core set of products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Good luck keeping your work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Growing so quickly that there are some growing pains, still trying to organize management and hierarchy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very strong executive leadership team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The VR industry is evolving quickly and HomeAway is a major reason why. The leadership team is solid, and their strategic decisions are sound. While the company is global, and fairly large, it still feels like a young and nimble company.

Cons

The business is complex due to the acquisitions. Complexities are always underestimated in planning and it can result in over committing and/or under delivering.

Keep the open dialog. I have to take my hat off to management. They encourage questions, listen, and respond openly. This is critical to maintaining a culture that feels empowered to make a change.

Good team, working on interesting technical challenges

Current Employee - Cloud Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cloud Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

A group of smart, friendly people who are working on leading edge technology. Strong leadership who provide direction, but don't micro manage.
    Great benefits, including lots of vacation.
    Regular team events, flexible working hours.

Cons

Sometimes over booked, especially near deadlines.
    Company is still growing and finding its way.

A great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

People will try to do the right thing. There's a general feeling of the company being run the "right-way." Folks at the top make informed decisions based on business value and priorities. On the development side when looking at possible paths of implementing something the proper way of doing things usually wins. Shortcuts are rare and when taken are tracked as technical debt. That makes development, changes and new features much easier to add and maintain. It is a great place to learn how to do things in a way that minimizes long term maintenance costs. There's also a push from above to improve things continuously to make people happy.

Cons

The way teams are setup and quarterly goals tracked can lead to silos. There are initiatives trying to solve this problem though.

Keep up the good work! Please consider adding a more competitive 401k match to the benefits package. It is an area in which homeaway is not competitive with the overall market.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some great people, but too many bad apples the spoil the bunch

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some really fantastic people at HomeAway that make it fun to come into work at times. Some of the work is challenging. They do their best to try to have a culture that is enjoyable.

Cons

A lot of the management is disrespectful and unprofessional. There are people that are making decisions that they are not qualified to make, which leads to problems down the road. Friendships and tenure play more into raises and promotions than actual output or quality of work delivered. Management is more concerned with seeing reports and pretty pictures than actually delivering good products. There are too many cliques of people that all come from former companies together that make it like a high school cafeteria type of environment.

Do not let non-technical managers make technical decisions or manage technical people. You will never be able to retain top quality talent if you have them reporting to bottom of the barrel management.

A company that you will really enjoy being a part of.

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are treated as an adult and they trust you to do your work to the best of your abilities, you are not micromanaged.
    The vibe is great and free snacks and drinks help.
    Definitely a job that could become a career.
    More vacation than I have had at any other job.

Cons

Not a whole lot wrong with this place.

Very rewarding summer internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team to work alongside, a lot of room to grow, and a lot of positive changes happening constantly.

Cons

A little behind in keeping up to date with trends and practices, a lot of focus on competitors, and a heavy lack of proper brand marketing. I was not there long enough to truly get how management affects long term work, or how the CEO and company's values and priorities affected others.

There's no place like HomeAway. My experience has exceeded every expectation. I can't imagine being anywhere else.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people.
    The flexibility to work when you need to and at your own pace as long as you meet your deadlines.
    The facilities and workspace.
    The technology and ability to work with employees all over the world.
    The work hard, play hard mentality/culture

Cons

I didn't meet many people outside of my department. I wish it was easier to do so, but the people I did meet are absolutely amazing.

Keep doing what your doing. Maintain the comradery and recognize areas that which it can improve between departments.

Love it!

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid culture (feels genuine and not forced).
    You will work with very talented people.
    Pay and benefits are above average in my experience.
    Work is challenging and rewarding.
    Work-life balance is strongly encouraged (which is new for me).
    Overall, they tend to hire very good managers and I feel supported and empowered.
    They provide a shuttle with wifi if you need to get from one company location to another.
    Quality work environment and free snacks (be careful, you can put on 5 - 10 pounds quickly)!

Cons

Many locations throughout Austin so can be a bit tough when you need to meet with people face-to-face.
    Growing at a rapid rate so there are always too many things you don't have time to get to.

Thank you for an awesome place to work. Keep up the great work!

Best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and culture are by far the best things about HomeAway. Everyone is extremely intelligent and the culture is very down-to-earth for a company of this size. There is no dress code and managers trust employees to manage their own time as long as their getting their work done.

Cons

With all of the websites that HomeAway operates, things can be very complex and take much longer than you might expect to get done. This is the challenge when you're acquiring and integrating the technology and people from other companies several times per year.

Laser focus on top few priorities vs. mediocre focus on too many priorities.

3 years in and still happy, challenged, and growing

Current Employee - Customer Experience  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dynamic environment (not a good fit if you prefer little change), love the challenge of building up a new industry. I work in Customer Experience and we get to interact with all customer segments and help keep them engaged and doing their best. We work hard for our colleagues and HomeAway does a lot of good things to recognize employees and maintain a hardworking but fun culture. People who tend to complain a lot may never have worked anywhere else...you really gonna complain about the specifics of free food being supplied what feels like daily? The company is remarkably transparent in sharing plans with every employee -- we are trusted with a lot of information.

Cons

Having grown through rapid acquisition, we are still working to simplify our systems and balance investments new stuff versus making current tools the most excellent they can be. Reality is that growth of teams may also mean that advancement opportunities exist, but you have to go after them. CS is open 24/7/365 and while that is a point of pride in excellent service, it sometimes feels we are the only ones in the company doing so, although that is not true.

Obsess even more about our customers

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!