HomeAway Reviews

Reset
4.2
HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

Pros
  • They make a genuine effort to accommodate work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Fun and social work environment - lots of social events to get to know colleague's even better (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Good luck keeping your work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Company is growing bigger everyday and could fall victim to a 'corporate' environment (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Awesome place for a software engineering internship!

Pros

The office space is awesome, the internship program is well-developed with cool substantial projects, the benefits and pay are some of the best in Austin, and the personalities are top quality with a great emphasis on work life balance.

Cons

I really can't come up with anything substantial. I probably drank too much coffee, but that's because coffee tastes good.

HomeAway Rocks!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

The pay and benefits are great. I enjoy the work I do - it doesn't really seem like actual work. I look at pictures of homes, beaches, and other travel destinations all day! Every Wednesday, breakfast is brought in. We also have a kitchen with free drinks and snacks. The people at HomeAway are great to work with! HomeAway also has awesome parties. Another thing I like about HomeAway is that even though it is an office environment, it is not stuffy. No one wears suits to work. We are professionals, but the atmosphere for the most part is very casual.

Cons

Sometimes, the work can get a little tedious. I am one of the people responsible for editing listings, and there is a lot of in-depth reading and error correction involved, particularly with the job I do. Also, at the time of this review, we're in a stage of rapid growth, so there is a lot of work that needs to be done -- which means that there is a great need for overtime hours.

Advice to Management

I have only good things to say about every aspect of HomeAway. Everyone within the company is approachable, and that's something I value, especially when it comes to upper management.

Fun and rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Fast pace, Austin headquarters, passionate and focused C-team, a lot going on so there's always interesting projects to work on

Cons

Fast pace means that there's always another deadline around the corner. We're getting big enough that it's now hard to get know employees outside of your team.

Advice to Management

Organize more programs that form multi-disciplinary teams and encourage employees to meet others from outside of their silo. It will make us all more efficient and well-rounded.

Great Company...Great Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Awesome culture, great teams, colleagues, atmosphere, job challenges but in a good way

Cons

Communication and collaboration amongst teams is lacking, many talents are being under utilized, lack of ability to scale for growth.

Advice to Management

Improve cross-departmental communication, need to improve the ability to scale the company.

Great place to work, company is getting pretty big

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Austin, TX

Pros

Great communication Treat engineers well Good vacation time and benefits Great people who are smart Promote inovation 10% time Great Work life balance

Cons

The promote but its hard to get approval to take a innovated project forward, hard to use your 10% time because of other work priorities. Corporate environment and bureaucracy is slowly creeping in since company went IPO

Advice to Management

Empower developers

Excellent place to work with lots of opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Austin, TX

Pros

I think there is a great culture on the development team - quarterly "hackaways", opportunity to open source projects, lots of sponsorship of community events (like the "3 day startup" in Austin). I highly respect management from my direct boss all the way to the CEO. Lots of advancement opportunity - a couple of employees come to mind who started at HomeAway fresh out of school who are now running large parts of the business, and there are lots of regular promotions.

Cons

HomeAway is a big company now - over 1000 employees worldwide. Also, since HomeAway was built by acquiring lots of small companies throughout the world, integration of all these parts and bureaucracy can be a major headache. I think management has a good handle on this (weekly "table talks", for example), but that doesn't mean that bureaucracy isn't still an issue. Also, it is the case that your fondness for HomeAway is most likely related to your immediate team, and given HomeAway's size there can be a lot of variation between teams. I've worked on some awesome teams, but I can also sympathize with those who have not been as fortunate as I have regarding their bosses and/or peers. If you are considering working for HomeAway, be sure to meet with your prospective manager and other people on the team.

Advice to Management

I think solving the bureaucracy problem is the biggest issue. I'm not sure I have any advice on how to do this, as it's a tough problem and one that's difficult to work around, but management should be really focused on this because leaner competitors won't have the same issues.

Great Place - Great Salary

Former Employee - Salesforce Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Salesforce Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Compensation, awesome holidays, huge opportunities, hire more people in Salesforce Development :-) rest is pretty done pretty well

Cons

Management goes hard sometimes, look alike google , i wish you guys have the gym there, if not the free passes or discounted passes to austin fitneess down the road

Advice to Management

Give a tour to global offices you have

Not bad, not Great

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Breakfast every Friday during company-wide C-team meeting, nice offices, young innovative work environment

Cons

Not much communication between teams, no 401k matching

Awesome enviornment and benefits

Current Employee - Trust and Security in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Trust and Security in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-5 weeks PTO plus holidays -Awesome company parties and picnics -Fully stocked free kitchen -Not micromanaged -Great equipment and unique office space -Paid maternity leave

Cons

-Open 24/7 so you could get an undesirable schedule -May have to work holidays

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job, maybe consider offering more family friendly options as far as schedules.

Great company

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great place to work at

Cons

cant think of any thing

RSS Feed </> Embed