HomeAway

Updated January 23, 2015
4.4

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

Pros
  • Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do (in 15 reviews)

• Fun and social work environment - lots of social events to get to know colleague's even better (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is good, plus commissions , the work-life balance is definitely positive (in 8 reviews)

• The company is growing FAST - generally more of a positive than a negative, but communication between departments could be improved (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway

Pros

Great people and top management

Cons

The company is growing very quickly, decisions are not always thought through properly

Fabulous company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Before working for HomeAway, I didn't realise that there was such a workplace where you LOOK FORWARD to Monday mornings. The laid back and friendly environment makes for a productive and outstanding place in which to work whilst everybody is always on hand to assist you if you need help.

The fact that the company is so large & international only further adds to its appeal as there is plenty of scope for career development and there are so many ways in which you can be aided in working towards your desired position within the company.

Cons

Right now, there are none.

Very very little to fault except perhaps management spending less focus on the level of score you receive in customer service surveys and take into account the actual content of the case to see why a certain score was provided.

A great family to be a part of

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt the best company I've wirked for. People are very friendly, there is a real sense if comradery. The business takes very good care of employees too, and management is keen for employees to be given lots of responsibilities to encourage their careers to evolve.

Cons

When I left the company, it was going through a transition from a start up to a public company. Consequently a lot of new burocracy was introduced and a lot of people who had been with the company for years were unceremoniously let go by new department heads who were brought in from the outside. I was unaffected by these changes, but the new atmosphere was not one in wish I wanted to continue working, hence I started looking for other opportunities elsewhere.

Realize that the people working for you care a great deal about the company's success - and each other. When you treat one person as disposable, you are likely to lose a lot of others out of protest.

Great company culture, everyone can be a contributor

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at HomeAway can be a contributor; it's an environment where fresh ideas and hard-work are valued. As a manager, my work-life balance is very manageable. I feel very motivated to come to work every day, and the pay-back is flexibility, great benefits, and a feeling of inclusion.

Cons

As the company succeeds and expands globally, it is hard to maintain a sense of inclusion across all global offices. I manage a global team, with some team members in the US and a few in Europe. The company is extremely Austin-centric, but I believe that everyone at the C-Level understands this challenge and is working to ensure that we have a unified, global team.

Continue to hire experienced, talented C-level team members globally.

my review for the Frankfurt office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at HomeAway part-time (more than a year)

Pros

people are great, modern and professional company - very good onboarding process, flexible working hours, working from home and part-time is welcome, sympathetic towards parents and their needs, very nice and modern office, good feedback to your own performance incl. direct awards for employees and teams, employees are supported in permanent social engagement activities, nice after work partys, good salary and perks

Cons

no major concerns - some minor issues as for every global and fast growing company, career opportunities limited but work in progress, the coffee mac hines

Open friendly progressive company with a strong strategy

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Whilst I can't think of a central London office with better views, that isn't the best thing about HomeAway London. There is a really positive culture and whilst not unreasonably we all have to deliver our results for the company to continue to prosper there is a good friendly vibe to the place, people are friendly and willing to help, and at the end of the day there is an ethos that we can have fun doing our jobs and coming to work as well.
    I have never worked anywhere where the senior management share the vision, goals and data as openly with ALL staff, which is very refreshing and reinforces that this is a team not just a corporation.

Cons

Working across time zones has its challenges, and complexities but in the main they are workable. There are at times a lot of meetings and weekly updates come around fast however this does at least encourage accountability and fosters openness.

There is a lot of focus on process at times rather than just getting the job done, that whilst it ensures robust and diligent practices are followed, it feels a bit heavy at times for the tasks required and seems to suck up a lot of time and energy.

The right balance between tech giant and high-growth startup

Current Employee - BI/Strategy Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - BI/Strategy Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You feel like you’re playing a role in building something
    The Apples and Googles of this world are great, everyone knows they’re great, they’re probably still going to be great in 10 years. For me working at companies at the top of the tree feels a little more like being a cog in the machine than someone who can grow the company and make it better and I find that very disengaging. Related to this is company size, HomeAway is big but not so big that it’s tough to feel like you’re contributing or be recognised for doing so.

An established and profitable company
    HomeAway is developed and successful enough to compete on comp with larger tech players which most startups can’t. HomeAway is a well capitalised and profitable so you avoid the uncertainty that accompanies many startups reliant on external funding.

Work/Life balance is great
    I find people are committed and focused on their jobs but equally to their lives outside of work. This means working time tends to be more flexible, working from home (at least part of the week) seems to be an option in most roles. I work hard but I love the control I have over when this is, I feel I can leave as early or late as I feel is appropriate given my workload without anyone thinking better/worse about me for doing so

Cons

As per the title HomeAway strikes a great balance between a tech giant and startup but that doesn’t make it perfect

Brand
    A company with a great brand is instantly recognisable and can (rightly or wrongly) give you instant credibility as an employee. You won’t get this with HomeAway. Most people (even in the tech industry) don’t know of the company and certainly don’t recognise its scale.

Speed
    HomeAway can feel slow relative to a smaller company at times with can frustrate some people. I tend to see this as an inevitability as a company gets to a certain size but am sometimes disappointed by what feels like a constrained ability to iterate and improve our product offering

Responsibility
    Although HomeAway is not so big that it’s difficult to be recognised you’re still not going to get the roles and responsibilities you would in a smaller company as quickly

Fantastic environment, fantastic people.

Current Employee - IT Helpdesk in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Helpdesk in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The HomeAway culture is unlike anything I've experienced before. There is a real sense of involvement from the Executives down to the average joes. Everyone enjoys their work and the environment. You have the freedom to express yourself and not be just another employee

Cons

Some roles have the glass ceiling like any other company.

More focus on training and development

Great company

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere in the office and a company that looks after their staff as much as possible.
    Career opportunities are always available
    Due to the casual nature of the company there is a great link from managers to other employees

Cons

Company is growing bigger everyday and could fall victim to a 'corporate' environment

To discuss changes with employees as they will always have a great insight to what the customer wants

Proud to be working for this company!

Current Employee - BI Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - BI Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's super exciting to be part of a successful and fast-growing company! Good salary, great benefits, and a very enjoyable working environment.

Cons

Brace yourself for changes! There is no way you can get bored since the company is in constant evolution!
    It can be a bit stressful though, and you sometimes wish you could enjoy a few more months before next reorganization!