HomeAway

Updated February 25, 2015
4.4

HomeAway CEO Brian Sharples
Brian Sharples

Pros
  • Work-life balance is ideal - if work is getting done, you can do what you need to do (in 15 reviews)

• Fun and social work environment - lots of social events to get to know colleague's even better (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is good, plus commissions , the work-life balance is definitely positive (in 8 reviews)

• The company is growing FAST - generally more of a positive than a negative, but communication between departments could be improved (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

If you are competitive, confident and work really hard - you will be noticed!

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

Good benefits, relaxed working environment, continuous training and mentoring provided. If you are consistently transparent about your career goals and work hard to over attain your quota, they will help you with opportunities for growth.

Cons

Pay is average for a company of its' size and caliber. Quotas are aggressive and commission is capped.

Home sweet home

I have been working at HomeAway

Pros

people are nice, work is interesting, and atmosphere is good.

Cons

pay not the best and can be tough to move up

don't get too complacent

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway

Pros

Great people and top management

Cons

The company is growing very quickly, decisions are not always thought through properly

The people are nice, but the drive is lacking

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HomeAway has a lot of great people, who are easy to get along with. The friendly culture lets you feel extremely welcome in the office, and the company provides great benefits.

Cons

There are a lot of complacent employees, the drive seems to be lacking. Lack of recognition and compensation for great work leads to a low level of motivation. Communication of these issues is also extremely low between peers and their management.

Communication is key to keeping everybody happy. Make sure every employee gets personal exposure to management with a good environment to candidly discuss concerns.

Good people, focused top brass, tough to move up

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, the people who work here want to be here, and there is a feeling that we're on the cusp of great things. People are genuine and friendly and there aren't too many corporate games to play.

Cons

Moving up is difficult. There is rarely a clear succession plan and raises and promotions seem to come at random. In order to get a new position within the company, you have to be "in the know" as opposed to just a great fit for the job.

Encourage managers to guide their employees toward the skills they need to move up. This will keep employees engaged and working hard to move forward with the company.

Fabulous company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Before working for HomeAway, I didn't realise that there was such a workplace where you LOOK FORWARD to Monday mornings. The laid back and friendly environment makes for a productive and outstanding place in which to work whilst everybody is always on hand to assist you if you need help.

The fact that the company is so large & international only further adds to its appeal as there is plenty of scope for career development and there are so many ways in which you can be aided in working towards your desired position within the company.

Cons

Right now, there are none.

Very very little to fault except perhaps management spending less focus on the level of score you receive in customer service surveys and take into account the actual content of the case to see why a certain score was provided.

A great family to be a part of

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt the best company I've wirked for. People are very friendly, there is a real sense if comradery. The business takes very good care of employees too, and management is keen for employees to be given lots of responsibilities to encourage their careers to evolve.

Cons

When I left the company, it was going through a transition from a start up to a public company. Consequently a lot of new burocracy was introduced and a lot of people who had been with the company for years were unceremoniously let go by new department heads who were brought in from the outside. I was unaffected by these changes, but the new atmosphere was not one in wish I wanted to continue working, hence I started looking for other opportunities elsewhere.

Realize that the people working for you care a great deal about the company's success - and each other. When you treat one person as disposable, you are likely to lose a lot of others out of protest.

Nice enough place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people here and some of them are working on interesting projects and are eager to share the experience with the rest of the company. Input from every team member is given due consideration when problem solving. There's some leeway for self-direction and (theoretically) the opportunity to move between teams while here. The benefits are great, the work day and week are almost always accommodating to each person's desired schedule.

Cons

There isn't a career path beyond senior/staff developer that can be worked towards with tangible feedback. Many of the listed benefits are diminished or not available unless you're in the headquarters in Austin. In some respects, the vacation rental industry is about a decade behind other tech companies. Intervention about problem team members is unlikely to happen without a major incident.

Denver Office == Supremely casual...

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

The Denver office is right at Speer and I-25, so it's easy to get to and it's very laid back. Everyone is nice and there's really no bureaucracy. I go to very few meetings and get to work on cool web technologies including Microsoft stacks & Java stacks. There's lots of cool things to do in the UI layer here too. I get to tinker with lots of JavaScript frameworks. My co-workers are all smart& laid back, we get to learn from each other regularly.

Cons

You are a remote worker from the main HQ, so there's the anonymity that comes with that. It's not super bad, but it exists. Also, I hate logging JIRA tickets for everything in the world, but you do that here.

Horrible experience. If you don't mind a position where you don't get the training you need and the support this is the company for you. You will hit the floor knowing nothing and the managers are unreachable. Most employees call out sick to avoid the be and the ones that are there won't help you.

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing

Cons

No support, managers are nonexistent, you get yelled at and made to feel stupid by the callers.

Get some people who actually know how to train your employees. I've spoken with people who have been there for a year and even they still don't know what to do. You're wasting company funds by not hiring and training appropriately which affects the company bottom line.