HomeScript Pharmacy

Updated May 30, 2014
Updated May 30, 2014

2.1

Thomas Cappetta

Job is what you make of it. Good work environment (aside from compensation).

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pharmacy provides much needed services to impoverished, predominantly African-American, senior citizens. Fellow employees are friendly and focused. I have been promoted twice, so hard work is often recognized. The CFO has drastically reduced her interaction with the Pharmacy. The new manager is allowed to not only run the pharmacy, but to make sweeping changes at his discretion. Pharmacists, fill techs, and delivery teams are all excellent.

Cons

Customer Service controls the work flow for distribution and the pharmacy. Unfortunately, that team has a high turnover rate. Longer tenured reps would allow for better customer interaction and establish relationships, improving business across the board. Dress code could be relaxed.

The big problem I see at this company is the level of compensation - Incentives would improve morale and give individuals a real goal to work for. Salaried individuals should be compensated for 50-60 hour work weeks.

Reward the longer tenured employees (those that have stuck with company through good and bad times). Raising the entry level pay to industry averages could go a long way in reducing turnover. Continue providing positive services to the community.

Good team good service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Pharmacy Tech  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Pharmacy Tech in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been here for several years ,started in an entylevel position and have been promoted over time.even though we've had our growing pains ,I think its worth it. I heard about this site when a former employee contacted me to pass along negitave information so she can put it on this site.I came here to say that I support the company and the people I work with.

Cons

Get a life and you won't have any cons.

More consistancy and better accountability in all aspects of the company.

Fun company, hard working team

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people. The team works really hard at providing the best customer service possible. The management team sets a high standard.

Cons

Long hours at times, but that's the norm in the industry. Turnover, but that's expected in the industry. Especially in customer service.

Keep listening to employees. Try bring more patient and invest more in them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you have No Dreams or Aspirations

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time for more than a year

Pros

At the end of the day the only positive aspect of this place are the services offered to patients. Co-workers are also very helpful and friendly.

Cons

Since I started working here the Owner and CFO have been completely responsible for destroying company morale and trust. Any opposition to these two is met with hostility and/or termination.

The turnover rate is high and workers in sweatshops get more respect than employees do here.

Pay raises are non-existent, no matter how well you perform, and you'll be lucky to get minimum wage.

The only honorable thing to do at this point is spare employees the humility and just close this business for good. It's a disgrace to this Country that a company can be run like this while treating employees in such a disposable manner that proves the American Dream is Dead...

Horrible Environment"

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time

Pros

It is tough to find anything positive about this company except for the patients. I focus on the fact that I am helping people by insuring that they get their medication and have some human interaction since many of our customers have no one to help them. This one of the factors that keeps me going the other is my co-workers. We are a tight group and try to support each other.

Cons

The environment here keeps getting worse by the day. It has to be the owner who wrote the 2 fairly positive reviews as no one here is happy. First our pharmacy manager left--he was great and we all respected him, then the new CEO leaves. We were encouraged as some positive changes were being made but now things are worse then ever. The pharmacists are not respected and therefore are unhappy like the rest of us. Expectations are unrealistic and there is no trust or respect for us.

Hire professionals to run the business and back away before you do anymore damage to the business and the staff.

Things get worse on a daily basis

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly staff--we support and console each other. Feel like I am helping people with the service we provide. Decent insurance benefits.

Cons

Pay is way below market. CFO and Owner don't have a clue how to run the business. New CEO left and we hoped that she would be able to make changes but like the people before her--she was fighting a losing battle. So many good people have left or been driven out by the CFO and Owner. Owner and CFO are so out of touch with reality it is a joke. They don't care about employees or what we say or think. it was obvious when they removed the suggestion box --how silly is that! They manage by fear and intimidation--even the pharmacists are afraid to speak up. The only way to survive and not get axed is to kiss up to them. Everyone is looking for another job--

Stop driving the good people out of the company. Start trusting and listening to your employees or you will lose more good people. Work on improving employee morale.

Over time the company culture and benefits keep getting more and more depressing.

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time

Pros

Hours are daytime Monday through Friday with a set schedule (sometimes you may be required to rotate in a Saturday).

Health and dental insurance are good.

Coworkers are friendly, laid back, and there to get their job done.

At the end of the day it's a nice feeling to know you've helped make a difference in someones quality of life and worked to provide them with the medication they need.

Cons

The company culture is degrading over time. I was very excited and happy when I first started my job and I enjoyed it for many months after, but then they decided to start making changes that took away from employees (and some that didn't make sense). I understand, times are tight, throwing a big Christmas party might not be in the budget - fine. They cut our supply to coffee creamer (apparently $20-$40 per week is too expensive to spare on employee morale). Our dress code is business, even though we work in a call-center environment, and no, the business dress code does not make us feel more professional.

Also, employee policies are constantly being changed, and also being interpreted in different ways by HR or senior management. I've asked the same question to HR a few times, and have received different answers on each occasion (has happened to other employees too). I've asked for clarification on certain policies to management only to have someone else interpret it differently and therefore I take the brunt of it.

The pay is a also big con. Don't expect to get any raises, just added responsibility. Senior management is very out of touch with how your job functions and expect a lot for the little pay you'll receive.

Turnover is high and at this rate, expected to stay high.

The CFO is creating a toxic work environment - she has been the sole reason that many people have left and that many people do not feel comfortable in their jobs. I'm indifferent to the CEO, since she's newer I don't have much to say about her and I've had nice and not so nice encounters with her, possibly the CFO is overstepping her bounds and getting in her way too - wouldn't be surprising. It would be nice to be able to have a stable replacement as a supervisor for customer service. There is a lot of meddling in peoples jobs when the senior management is out of touch with pharmacy operations - let people do their jobs or actually take the time to sit down for a few days and learn how things actually work.

Hostile, Underpaying Work Environment

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The service offered to patients is great and a benefit to the community, especially the financially disadvantaged and physically disabled (at least in theory, it is not executed very well).
    -When you're on the bottom rung and not privy to the activities of upper management, its actually a pretty good job. Everyone on the entry level in our team is actually quite friendly and helpful.
    -A nice change from the frantic day-to-day of retail pharmacy.

Cons

-Upper management is completely out of touch. All business decisions are made not based on talking to employees or studying their behaviors, but by looking at a number on a page. Numbers that have been proven as fundamentally flawed, but any evidence shown to prove the inaccuracies is brushed off as an "excuse" to not make them more money.

-Even the pharmacist gets pushed aside like his decades of experience aren't worth diddly.

-They don't trust their employees; multiple decisions have been made that don't increase productivity, they exist solely to watch us like vultures.

-While us entry-level employees aren't privy to all the financial details, there is evidence that they have lied about the growth of the business to avoid having to give people raises... raises which would bring them up to the Chicago average, instead of well below it where they are now.

-The department I work in has gone three months without a manager, because everyone in middle management gets lambasted for the most trivial things.

A good leader should be able to sit down at an employee's desk, pick up a task, and understand what needs to be done and how to do it. The CEO, CFO, and owner all wouldn't have a single idea what to do if they sat down at our desks and were expected to do our jobs. How can you lead a team and tell them what to do, if you don't even know what it is they do? We get that you're a businessperson, no one expects you to know clinical work, but I could ask any practical question and get blank stares. The great majority of the problems that upper management has caused would be solved if they actually understood what it led to at the day-to-day production level.

Let "professionals" run the company

I worked at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The services that company provides are great and there are alot of talented people who want to do a good job but are stiffled by owner and his girlfriend who is the CFO

Cons

Poor pay, dont treat employees fairly, no trust or respect for employees or supervisors --and they don't let the qualified people that they hire run the company. They have unrealistic expectations and all of their interference prevents people from doing their job.

Let the talented people you bring in manage and run the business. Owner needs to be uninvolved and CFO needs to leave before she drives every employee out.

Too much work for too little pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HomeScript Pharmacy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most employees are in the late 20s or early 30s which is nice for socializing. Middle management is usually easy to deal with and on the side of the employees. The high deductible health care plan is decent.

Cons

Hours can vary depending on volume of workload. Everyone almost always works overtime, but only nonsalaried positions get compensated for it. Starting salary is between $20,000 and $22,000. Upper management is out of touch and hostile. The turnover rate is somewhere around 100% - 200%.

Stop firing so many people. Also, give incentives to work harder rather than threats. And if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Worked for HomeScript Pharmacy? Contribute to the Community!