HomeServe UK Reviews

Reset
4.5
HomeServe UK CEO Martin Bennett
Martin Bennett

Pros
  • Great team all the way up to senior management level (in 6 reviews)

• Best place I've ever worked by far (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Some serious game playing among senior management (in 4 reviews)

• Complete lack of genuine company direction, putting the customer at the heart logo is a myth to placate the FCA and mitigate the fines (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

The biggest heart I've ever seen in a company

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

Let's not pretend HomeServe have not had their share of bad press from some mistakes they made in the past. But HomeServe is now easily the best Company I have ever worked for. Their ethic and Customer focus is incredible and whilst there are still some areas that are yet to feel the tidal wave of change, this is a company that has learnt from its mistakes. There are loads of opportunities internally with some really great benefits - not least an Employee policy that covers all staff for home emergencies.

Cons

The wave of change is slow to reach the outer limits of the Company. There are still some members of staff who aren't quite on the bus but as new people join the buiness and the focus continues on the Customer, this will change.

Advice to Management

Keep going in this direction. It's amazing.

getting better

Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Walsall, PA
    Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Walsall, PA

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

role modelling of behaviors and values, investment in training, general levels of moral, share scheme

Cons

Walsall, variation in salaries, top heavy structure, decisions by committee

Advice to Management

Encourage openness and honesty, engagement surveys shouldn't be a competition

Walking the walk

Former Employee - Various Heads of Marketing Roles in Walsall, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Various Heads of Marketing Roles in Walsall, England (UK)

I worked at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I spent 9 years at HomeServe across several senior marketing positions. In that time I saw a lot of change, with the most positive of that being in the last 3 years. Many organisations talk about putting their Customers & People first but I can honestly say that HomeServe's culture in 2015 actually puts that into practice and walks the walk to the full. The CEO, CMO & People Director have led a cultural change which I am proud to have been part of and which has further enhanced my own skill set immeasurably to become the leader I am today. Empowerment of People to put the Customer first is a mantra there, which becomes a healthy obsession and a great place to work.

Cons

It's been a period of enormous change for HomeServe and the fact of the matter is that new faces from outside the organisation were needed quickly in order to bring a different kind of leadership style and experience, and to make an immediate impact. Whilst a necessity, that has led to some restrictions around opportunities for the - then - existing wider senior team to develop and progress into core leadership roles. Having said that I am aware of this now being addressed and given a renewed focus, in keeping with HomeServe becoming more stable and established again.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that the cultural change that has been seen predominantly in UK Marketing now needs to be fully carried through the entire global organisation. The UK strategy needs to become the template for the Group, which will further underpin the undoubted future success of this great company.

A company who says they care...and they do care

Current Employee - Digital Testing & Tracking Manager in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Testing & Tracking Manager in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The businessis being rebuilt on a set of values for both customers and staff that really are making a difference. I have never worked for a company where my colleagues are willing to defend it's reputation when challenged. If you are looking to just 'coast' this is not the company for you, if you want to make a difference to millions of customers by caring about your job, owning your work, and trusting each other you should work for HomeServe

Cons

As it is such a good place to work, and full of talented and good people, it can be a bit hard to find the opportunities to move on an upward trajectory (although there are development programmes they have lots of applicants).

Advice to Management

What you are doing..don't stop.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

HomeServe provides a good opportunity for progression with a wealth of departments to join or move to. For me personally, they have funded professional qualifications which have helped me to develop in my career. I joined HomeServe 9 years ago then as a sales and service agent. Since, I have had the opportunity to work in many departments. The CMO has developed a feel good open environment that breeds positivity, empowerment and quickly questions if things are not right for customers or staff. The senior staff are approachable and visible on a daily basis and answer questions openly on social platforms. I am proud of this company. They have learnt from their mistakes and focus is on keeping rooted to the community, staff and customers.

Cons

With such a big company communication or ownership can be slow. Some areas are not yet fully integrated with the feel good environment as we are split between two buildings

Advice to Management

Keep telling the story and stay close to the people and customers

New starter

Current Employee - Operations Director in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Director in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A truly customer focused company where there are embedded and highly innovative management routines that focus on the customer. There is a genuine and positive attitude that you can feel as you interact throughout the company and a real care for the customer and employees at all levels of the company. The front line team are completely engaged and empowered to do the right thing for customers. There is a small company feel to what is clearly a large company. In a very short space of time I can say that this company feels very different for all the right reasons, customer focus, investing in people, and a true desire to get things done and work together across business areas. There is also a very clear and defined business strategy which the company invests real time at sharing and creating understanding throughout the organisation.

Cons

Rail links The facilities could do with a bit of attention and a slick of paint.

Advice to Management

The goal clarity, vision and strategy are very clearly defined. There is also real management visibility and to access senior leadership . There is also a strong culture of recognition for doing the right things. There is a tenured resource who have embraced the new path the company is on and they are truly engaged backed up by annual survey results. The culture and goal clarity that you have created is fantastic keep it up!

Empowered at every level

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HomeServe is simply a great place to work. I get up in the morning and feel completed motivated to come into the office and make a difference, which is a great feeling. The people are what makes this place so magical for me. At every level - even right up to the CEO, people are just so friendly, approachable and dedicated to doing the right thing. And no matter where you are on the food chain, you are empowered to have your say and make a difference. I never get a sense of hierarchy here which is brilliant. There are endless opportunities for people to develop if they have the passion and drive to do so and I get a real sense of support from Senior Managers. The company really takes care of it's people - from organising tickets for everyone at Wembley, to a fair ground on the car park, nothing is too much effort. ....and there is a renewed focus on Customers, which gives everyone a real sense of pride towork for such a caring company.

Cons

The only downside is the working environment. There is lots of work being done to improve it, but it will take a while!

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing

Proud to work for HomeServe

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve never worked for a company where the CMO and CEO are more dedicated and committed to doing the right thing for their Customers and their People. People engagement is key at HomeServe, the Senior Management Team go to great lengths to listen their People and acknowledge their hard work.

Cons

Some of the systems are quite old meaning the processes are lengthy. Although reasonable, I feel the wages can be quite low compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing as it’s working!!

open heart surgery

Current Employee - Corporate Affairs in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Corporate Affairs in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is an insatiable hunger from everyone, to make this business succeed beyond measure. I recently overheard a guy who looks after our Customers when they call in being questioned by a visitor. He was asked what he likes about HomeServe and he said "I am a very small part of a big company. but I know that I can make a significant difference to this business. I am trusted to do the right thing for Customers, and when something goes wrong, i can walk straight up to any of our leadership and tell them honestly about it." And i think that for me is the real difference about this place, and is why i have called this open heart surgery. We haven't always had this culture and we have had to be brutal! We've opened the chest and re-purposed the very heart of the business, and it shows!! But it hasn't been one of those fluffy initiatives, It has taken a massive push from everyone in the business, from the top down and bottom up, to get this far, and whilst there is still some way to go, we can be very proud of how far we have got. Martin is an inspiring leader, he has surrounded himself with a truly incredible team of executives and they lead and direct the organisation with integrity and passion. I am so confident in the future of the business here. if you're thinking about applying, don't hold back!!

Cons

This is an overall view of the remnants of a culture that is in my opinion, quickly dying out. It is something that we need to keep focused on though and that is why it is one of our People Values. (to win together and trust each other) We all still need to get a bit better at working closer. Sometimes we struggle trusting each other and rather than collaborating, we can be tempted to run off alone because the old culture has caused that in us. The answer though is for us to remain trustworthy, to prove that we are here to win together and to show that success is in all of our best interests, and that's why we want to help each other be great. it's tough for sure, but it is well worth it. We'll get there for sure, and when we do, our potential will be limitless!

Advice to Management

Keep going, we are a great People and that is down to you guys and gals. Thank you for doing the right thing, not the easy thing these last 3 or 4 years.

Seriously great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK

Pros

I can honestly say this is THE best company I have worked from both from a Customer and people focus. Bags of opportunity and challenging parts of the job which make it really rewarding. Homeserve quickly recognise hardwork whcih is completely supported (and initiated) by the exec team who are all so tuned in to the strategy and firmly believe that if you focus on people, everything else will follow. I am totally empowered to do the right thing and empowered to empower also. The CEO and COO and Customer Director and their teams are doing a very very good job and should be proud of the achievements so far. A 20 pc point uplift in engagement score in one year!

Cons

Not a con for me but would be if you were not this kind of person. Homeserve reward hard working, Customer focussed individuals who display real passion to work in an environment where doing the right thing, trusting each other (at ALL levels), owning situations and not just moaning but doing something about the issues and daring to care. If you're not willing to do this all of the time as a minimum then you'd hate it here!

Advice to Management

Stay strong! Honestly doing a superb job and I'm proud to be part of this. Best decision I made was to join Homeserve 2 years ago.

RSS Feed </> Embed