HomeServe UK

Updated February 23, 2015
Updated February 23, 2015
4.5

Martin Bennett

Pros
  • attitude of senior management is definitely about openness and honesty (in 6 reviews)

• But HomeServe is now easily the best Company I have ever worked for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • People are also being brought in externally for senior management positions which limits the opportunity of exisitng staff to progress (in 4 reviews)

• Annoyed just about every regulator going (FCA, Oftel, etc), and practices had the potential to annoy the others if they ever found out about it (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

I have been working at HomeServe UK

Pros

Supportive, fun place to work.There's loads of benefits and the support I've received during my 5 years here has been brilliant. Have never worked anywhere like this before, and what started out as a stop gap job I thought I would stay with for 6 months, has lasted 5 years. I hope I'm still here in another 15!

Cons

Promotions seem harder to get from the lower levels.

It would be nice to see some of the low level staff getting promotions, it always seems to be higher levels getting higher.

Feb 24, 2015Chief Marketing Officer

I'm really disappointed that it does not feel as if there are enough opportunities for lower level staff. I won't argue with your perception but I would say that is definitely not the intention. As ... More

Not for Everyone. Read below.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I have been working at HomeServe UK

Pros

Nice area to work. And its better than being unemployed. The company itself has doubled in size in a years time. Not the number of employees, but the amount customers they service. With this being said, the company itself is not going out of business in this economy that is important.

Cons

If you are applying at Homeserve for Inbound sales department, these are things to know prior to even applying;

Expect your pay to be very inconsistent, the commission structure is set up to either reduce your pay or make sure you arent allowed to collect your hard earned bonus. The going rate at Homeserve since the date of this posting is 10 dollars an hour. If you excel at various categories then you will be awarded higher pay. This structure is desgned to ensure minimal pay is earned as often as possible. So basically how you perform one month will determine your Hourly pay for the following month. Management knows this structure is the cause for them losing so much great talent and have been promising changes for over a year now. Still no changes. These statements are not intended to bash the company nor is any of this false. I just have to make sure that those that are seeking employment here, know exactly the terms of their compensation. Please ask them upfront for commission structure information along with hourly rate and if this amount ever fluctuates, not in your favor.

Also you must be a tough individual to work here. Homeserve is a home insurance company that promises their customer to live worry-free of home emergencies, This appeals to the elderly population, who fail to read terms and conditions which deny them of being indeed "covered".
    I have listed some of the general exclusions that Homeserve customers are denied by:

*emergency breakdown , *Acts of God, and *pre-existing conditions. So what I am saying is that if you have a righteous attitude, this may not be the best place to work. You will witness alot of questionable decisions being made against someone who is of age, that can be your own grandparents. You will get calls from elderly people who are crying because they dont have any heat and are cold because their heating systems where determined to be damaged by an pre-exisitng condition. And you will have to turn them away. Then turn around and sell to another elderly person that lives in that same area. As long as you can remain focused on achieving as many sales as possible than you this is the job for you.

Once in for all, set an hourly rate that will not flutuate against your sales representatives favor. Think about rewarding those who speak multiple languages, Examine the message you portrait when you express favortism by hiring who you are comfortable with versus the actual better candidate.

Ive been at homeserve for 7 years and never once felt that I dont want to go to work today. We all work together .

Current Employee - Agent On the Front Line Phones in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Agent On the Front Line Phones in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working together . You can approch the directors senior staff managers they listen they care they want us to better homeserve and its employees.

Cons

Needing some off time if your on the phones to discuss matters or to try to arrange any progession work

Keep listening to us please and we won't let you down

Feb 24, 2015Chief Marketing Officer

Thank you for the advice. I know you won't let us down. If you feel we are ever not listening then please stop by my desk and set me straight.

A company on the up!

Current Employee - Marketing in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I started last week and it's a refreshing change to work alongside people who aren't interested in 'competing' against you but focus on working together to help the Customer.

Cons

The commute can be a little tricky as the office is located just off junction 10 of the M6. It gets pretty busy whichever route you opt for.

Keep striving to achieve Effortless for the Customer and your people and the rest will look after itself.

Amazing enjoyable Company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HomeServe treat staff & customers as part of a family.

If you have the right attitude & want to provide customers & colleagues with a great service jump on our bus...... You will make the best decision ever!!!

Cons

I dont have any cons I love my job.

Continue doing what you are doing!!

It's getting better and better

Current Employee - Outbound Customer Service Representative (Retention) in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great empowerment to do the "right thing" and a true customer first approach.

Senior management team actually listen to frontline staff and take steps to improve

Employee benefits such as free gym, vouchers and tickets to football games etc

The best thing about working at Homeserve is most definitely the people around you, a bunch of loyal and talented individuals

Platform provided to express ideas and improvement business wide which directors are actively involved in

Good pay

Dress down Fridays : )

Cons

Lack of career progression, a lot of great people have left due to this ( I do believe this is being improved )

First line team managers don't seem to have much freedom and seem dictated too

Ask you to make judgement calls but penalise you if it goes against their personal judgement

We work really hard, it doesn't need to be so regimented

A lot of false promises made in work area

Do the effort survey on a monthly basis in regards to agents opinions on their coach, team manager and sales manager.

Keep listening to the employees , the business will continue to get better!

Exciting & fun. A forward looking Company with plenty of challenge

Current Employee - Manager - Marketing in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager - Marketing in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

+ Autonomy and control to get the job done
    + Fantastic people - we care about each other and have fun
    + Plenty of challenge - there are no mundane Mondays
    + Additional benefits such as healthcare, bonus, high street discounts, fun incentives
    + Clear strategic direction and communication. It means a lot to know where we're going, how and in what timeframe
    + Employee engagement - Charity Partnerships, Volunteering, social networks, clubs, team opportunities
    + Massive systems & infrastructure investment

Cons

- Limited professional development
    - Limited personal development but is getting better

Continue the investment in our People and Customers. It has plenty of offshoot benefits. It is motivating to see us getting it right.

Let's put even more into our Service Operations - recruitment & making processes effortless

Jan 7, 2015Chief Marketing Officer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It looks like your experience is similar to mine in that although no company is perfect the current situation at HomeServe is very empowering and you ... More

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK

Pros

HomeServe is a fantastic company to work for. Over the last 3 years it's grown from a sales-focussed company to one that really values its employees and customers. It's also taken great care to review its products and services, ensuring it provides a good quality service. Career progression is very good and if you work hard you'll be recognised for it. Marketing as a departments is a great place to work, with lots of emphasis placed on having fun, as well as targets and customer focus.

Cons

Processes can be restrictive due to working in a regulated environment.

The type of job I don't dread going into on a Monday morning.

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HomeServe is a great place to work in my opinion. There's lots of benefits for the employees, we are treated well, there's always potential to progress in your career, and it's a company that is growing rapidly which adds to the excitement of being part of the adventure. The people here are brilliant, which makes the thought of coming into work a lot easier in the mornings!

Cons

As the company is growing quite fast - there is perhaps a shortage of processes to allow things to run as smoothly as possible. In a fast paced environment it would be ideal to have processes that lend themselves to the pace we work at.

I know many people that work more hours than they are expected to. Any additional benefits for such workers?

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and incentives, benefits. Good hours of work and excellent support from trainers and HR.

Cons

Learning about problems in the home (plumbing. electrical) how to handle different types of call and learning the claims system.

no comment.