HomeServe UK

www.homeserve.com

HomeServe UK Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014
HomeServe UK – Walsall – “Van parked outside the Walsall office”

Martin Bennett

Fast paced, customer centric organisation

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Walsall, England (UK)

ProsGood leadership throughout with strong values to do what is right rather than what is easy. Very focused to deliver an effortless customer experience.

ConsLimited transparency of salary bandings makes it difficult to know where the next step might be. Frequency of change can at times feel excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, the transformation has been fantastic for both employees and customers

Not for Everyone. Read below.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsNice area to work. And its better than being unemployed. The company itself has doubled in size in a years time. Not the number of employees, but the amount customers they service. With this being said, the company itself is not going out of business in this economy that is important.

ConsIf you are applying at Homeserve for Inbound sales department, these are things to know prior to even applying;

Expect your pay to be very inconsistent, the commission structure is set up to either reduce your pay or make sure you arent allowed to collect your hard earned bonus. The going rate at Homeserve since the date of this posting is 10 dollars an hour. If you excel at various categories then you will be awarded higher pay. This structure is desgned to ensure minimal pay is earned as often as possible. So basically how you perform one month will determine your Hourly pay for the following month. Management knows this structure is the cause for them losing so much great talent and have been promising changes for over a year now. Still no changes. These statements are not intended to bash the company nor is any of this false. I just have to make sure that those that are seeking employment here, know exactly the terms of their compensation. Please ask them upfront for commission structure information along with hourly rate and if this amount ever fluctuates, not in your favor.

Also you must be a tough individual to work here. Homeserve is a home insurance company that promises their customer to live worry-free of home emergencies, This appeals to the elderly population, who fail to read terms and conditions which deny them of being indeed "covered".
    I have listed some of the general exclusions that Homeserve customers are denied by:

*emergency breakdown , *Acts of God, and *pre-existing conditions. So what I am saying is that if you have a righteous attitude, this may not be the best place to work. You will witness alot of questionable decisions being made against someone who is of age, that can be your own grandparents. You will get calls from elderly people who are crying because they dont have any heat and are cold because their heating systems where determined to be damaged by an pre-exisitng condition. And you will have to turn them away. Then turn around and sell to another elderly person that lives in that same area. As long as you can remain focused on achieving as many sales as possible than you this is the job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce in for all, set an hourly rate that will not flutuate against your sales representatives favor. Think about rewarding those who speak multiple languages, Examine the message you portrait when you express favortism by hiring who you are comfortable with versus the actual better candidate.

Effortless place to work

Project Manager (Current Employee) Walsall, England (UK)

ProsHomeServe are priding themselves on the fact they want to make things effortless for their customers, but by doing so they have made a huge culture change for us as employees. This company, who have been paraded through the press for mis-selling has done something different to all the other complanies that have been investigated by the FCA.......they have learned from their mistakes, they care about the customer, they care about employees - Engagement is the big buzz word for the business, but they are not just saying they are doing. They work hard in making sure employees want to come to work everyday, and that is rare from a big business...... free gym memberships, bus passes, free ATMs at work, Starbucks concessions, free onsite parking, CPR training, a car valeting service, a charity department, a hardship fund for customers...................oh and did I mention our CEO sits amongst frontline who take calls daily......when have you ever seen that in a business before

ConsIf you want to come to work and not develop, or be pushed and stay stagnant, then this is not the business for you......It's hard to work here, fast, targeted, and constantly looking how to change and develop.....this sometimes means some things get started and never finished.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings are looking up, keep going and don't drop the ball

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Moving forward

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Walsall, England (UK)

ProsHaving joined HomeServe over the last few months the induction period has been excellent. The support not only offered by my team but other areas of the business has been fantastic. It is clear that the company is in a period of moving forward and developing, they are really engaging with the teams to not only keep them up-to-date but to ask for ideas.

ConsFast moving and you need to be adaptable to change

A fun and vibrant place to work

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)

ProsThe opportunities available for progression and autonomy in my role. Great people to work wiith lead by an inspiring leadership team. Every day is different and certainly never boring. It's overall a great place to work with good benefits and competitive salaries.

ConsThe business is extremely fast paced and ever changing, you need to be very adaptable to change and willing to put in the hours to achieve your goals, however, the rewards for this far outweigh a long day.

Energy, enthusiasm and focus on people, both customers and employees

Anonymous (Current Employee) Walsall, England (UK)

ProsHaving recently joined previous employers are relatively fresh in my mind. Without wanting to be too evangelical this is a great place to work and appears to be on an upward curve of improvement. There is a real focus on employee engagement, having fun and recognising those who do a good job. The principle of putting the customer first and at the heart of the stratgey for future growth is refreshing what is more refreshing is the fact that it is sincere.

ConsThis environment will not be for everyone, but if you like to strive for continual improvement whilst having some fun along the way you are more than likley to fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the path of placing people first - both customers and employees. Success will follow. There will be no need to chase profit, happy customers and engaged employees = successful business!

Amazing place to work, amazing turnaround!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Walsall, England (UK)

ProsHomeServe has changed dramatically over the last few years. Pretty much the whole senior management team has been replaced over the last 2 years which has made such a massive difference. The culture of the place is great, with so much management support for everyone who is customer facing. Everyone here cares so much about the customer, that it makes for a really nice and supportive atmosphere

ConsThe facilities in Walsall are not so great, with the building all looking a bit shabby.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, any business that is this obsessed about doing great work for its customers should be headed for greatness if there is any justice in the world!

Overall a positive experience

ProsGreat working environment. HomeServe is moving in the right direction, the business is more customer focused than it has ever been. Employees are recognised for their achievements which encourages them to be the best that they can be.

ConsLacks inspirational leadership. Perception plays a big part in the office. A conversation goes a long way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe flexible with your approach to your team. Encourage the people on your team to succeed and highlight development opportunities.

A great company to work for

Marketing Management (Current Employee) Walsall, England (UK)

ProsThe culture of HomeServe has changed in the last two years. Colleagues are encouraged to speak out and 'Customer First' is the true motto. Rather than just pay lip-service, HomeServe is delivering and genuinely looking after its customers and staff. It's a happy place to work, with managers wanting to help their teams develop and grow.
    Flexible working time, pension scheme, subsidised canteen, gym membership - all fantastic benefits!

ConsHaving worked for some truly dreadful companies, there are few cons here! The offices are a bit on the warm side, but other than that there's not much to complain about.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that not everyone is after a 'career'. Some people are happy to come in, do a good job and leave and the business is not their whole life. Thee staff are as important as those who push themselves forward at every opportunity, and should be treated as such.

Customer and People focussed, fast paced, great people, clear business strategy and a great place to work

ProsOwnership & accountability and a chance to make a real difference for the Customer, working with some great people all pulling in the same direction

ConsBenefits are not as comparable to other financial services - they're ok....but could be better for those that work hard and go above and beyond

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat culture with a real focus on the Customer and doing the right thing. It's fast paced and good fun so keep building on this. Think more about competitive reward and real career development for those that perform

Worked for HomeServe UK? Contribute to the Community!