Homebase Limited

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul Loft

It's a great place to work

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee)
    East Kilbride, Scotland (UK)

ProsIt's very easy to get on with everyone and it's a very relaxed environment even when dealing with customers, it's easy to talk and give customers great service and advice with our knowledge and training.

ConsUnless having worked on shop floor, product knowledge isn't a top priority. I'm lucky to have worked across the whole shop so know different products while working behind the service desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think training on different new products to al colleagues could be helpful.

I worked for Homebase for a few years during University.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Bolton, England (UK)

ProsFlexible hours and a great team spirit, a lovely company to work for, who really looked after me when i became ill.

ConsIncentives were taken away from us when the store starting failing to meet its targets. This massively lowered moral and the team spirit ceased. Occasionally very dull on some shifts when there were no customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunity for personal growth and promotional incentives need to be in place.;

pleasant but could e mad at times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork is a fair pace and always something to do. homebase likes to promote from inhouse

Consif you worked evenings you are expected to work on the later time % off dyas

Advice to Senior ManagementIf things are wrong look at yourself (have you trained people what to do) before finding isueing blame

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

made redundant after 16 Yrs service, I was dealt as just a number...

Service Manager (Former Employee)
    Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

ProsColleagues are great fun to be around. Great atmosphere.

ConsLack of staff loyalty. A lot of pressure on managers. Lots of acronyms for everything!! new customer focus incentive. Company is constantly coming up with some new thing to focus on and the previous one gets forgotten, very fickle. You will get promised promotion and asked to take on extra responsibility to demonstrate your ability but the promotion will never come.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some core long term objectives and stick to them with out coming up with new things every 6 months.

Was okay, management weren't great

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Aylesford, England (UK)

ProsThe staff on the shop floor were great and it was a great environment

ConsAlways felt like we weren't valued by the management, which was ridiculous as if it wasn't for us shop floor workers they wouldn't make any money

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer, and don't think you're above everyone

the best job iv ever had

Checkout Assistant (Current Employee)
    Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)

Prosi only work 3 half days which suits me

Consjust a little slack at times but hey

Advice to Senior Managementneed to employ less young ones ie very young

Hit the sales floor and your career will start

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Bromborough, England (UK)

ProsYou really do have a fantastic opportunity to build a career with Homebase especially in sales, if you knuckle down a give 100% in the job Homebase will support you to move on to that next level and before you know it you were stacking shelves and now your selling, designing, project managing kitchens,bathrooms & bedrooms with a fantastic team to help you achieve your goals and targets.

ConsThe systems and processes need updating.

Advice to Senior ManagementShowroom is a key part in any store, don't waste the opportunity you have to make the showroom the best you possibly can. Dedicate some time to get to know the showroom team and understand what drives them, make sure the showroom looks the best it can and be proud of it.

Fun, friendly crew, great place to work for

General Assistant (Current Employee)
    Bangor, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsExcellent staff discounts, fun, friendly staff. Different types of job daily, keeps life interesting.

ConsSometimes there can be a lot to do, ie promoting nectar, RTC, a lot of things to do that take away from solely serving customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Staffing Issues

Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee)
    Loughton, East of England, England (UK)

ProsLovely people - Pay was prompt - training standards was OK - flexible with the hours - i really enjoyed some of my 7 years at homebase and went to many of the road shows and free 2 forums even the national one but with all my experience and being told I will be a manager one day I wasn't offered any type of progression so I left.

Constoo much pressure for staff to sell finance - no progression within the company 7 years i was promised a move in the company and zip happened - unrealistic targets and KPI's - not enough full time staff, the staff was made up from 17 year old check out girls part time and 5 shop-floor lads who didn't know a bucket from a screw (even with training). smallest store in the company but wasn't listed for all item for delivery. only being able to order 30 fence panels at a time. i could go on on and on.

Advice to Senior Managementlets the stores set their own targets, give store more hours to invest in more full time staff, don't sell finance let it happen when people need it, have more opportunities for people to progress within the company and stop bleeding out your best talent.

Sometimes fun, mostly made it up as I went along

Front End Assistant (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood range of daily tasks, good for young people who want to work part time, good for learning people skills seeing as there's such a wide customer base

ConsLack of training, lack of management involvement, lack of budget for enough staff to run the place. Most things I taught myself. I was never really taught any DIY knowledge which I could pass onto customers. Also, fellow customer service and shopfloor staff would sometimes seem to get away with doing the bare minimum, and ignore my calls for help when serving customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your staff better and provide them with knowledge about the products! Make huddles available to all staff, including checkouts and info desk. The HR department is shocking, i am still owed £100 from before I left, but they have done nothing to look into the issue.

Worked for Homebase Limited? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Homebase Limited reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Homebase Limited CEO Paul Loft. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Homebase Limited employees.