Homebase Limited

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
3.3

Paul Loft

Pros
  • 10% Staff Discount is currently being offered to Asda Walmart employees (in 5 reviews)

• Good shift patterns with flexible hours (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I have been there four years as a general shop floor assistant and i can count on one hand who has been there longer then me (in 4 reviews)

• However I do not believe for one second that any of the management really knows the people who work for them except the replenish and desk team leaders (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for a while but has lost its way.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Homebase Limited full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly staff and a fun working atmosphere.

Cons

Although there are training programs available they are rarely followed through on. Internal progression is not happening at more senior levels.

Stop recruiting external managers that don't tend to last rather than promote from within.

A friendly and professional place to work.

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Homebase Limited as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The staff and managers are like a family. Everyone gets along and is understanding of each other. Hours and holidays can be readily negotiated without too much fuss. Operations run smoothly and training is always in depth.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a bit quiet in store so shifts can become boring. The shift rota rarely lists shifts more than a week in advance.

Allow rota's to display shifts in advance of at least 2 weeks. Keep doing a good job, managers at Sunderland store are good, no complaints.

Working with friends, can't go wrong

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are genuine friends. We are able to stop work from being a chore, whilst still getting all work done and doing a good job. All my colleagues have a good knowledge of the store and are always more than happy to help me out with my questions and training. The bonus system is fantastic as well and gives you an incentive to work your absolute hardest.

Cons

I don't have much bad to say at all towards Homebase. The majority of the negative aspects are outside of Homebase's control such as stock shortages, awkward customers, weather being incredibly hot whilst inside etc.

I think the bonus system which has been implemented is fantastic and if that can be pushed even further, I would say to go for it. Communication regarding overtime or holidays can be improved, especially in my store, but this is not a high priority by any means and is still good in my store at the moment.

This is my first job so i have no other job to compare my experience to but it is definitely enjoyable!

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The shift patterns are very flexible, if i am unable to work a particular day, it never seems to be too much hassle to swap shifts. My colleagues are fantastic and so easy to get along with both inside of work and out

Cons

Working on the information desk, there are often some challenging situations if a customer is unhappy

get told further in advance when the 15% weekends are on as we always have customers asking

Good employer for a part time job and flexible for students

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and days
    Staff discount is good
    Good experience with opportunities to work in different areas of the store

Cons

Pressure to sell replacement product care with no incentives or training on how to sell this
    More training for product knowledge would have helped

The company who aims to be better than John Lewis

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company's values are ethical, ambitious and bold plans to make "every customer feel welcomed and taken care of". Good holiday entitlement, 20% staff discount and 10% staff discount in Argos. Yearly share saving scheme. Paid Free uniform, various other external benefits from selected companies such as 5% discount in Asda and 4% in Sainsbury's. Financially solid company. Good, quality products and colleagues are genuinely nice people to work with and are attentive to customers' needs. Great detail in reporting figures which can ease trouble shooting if needed.

Cons

There is a cascade of unrealistic expectations on multiple levels, micro management, lack luster implementation of new projects, bad communication between head office and stores (either too little or too much and quite often untimely). Slow reaction time to customer issues because everything needs to go through so many approval channels. Sad to say that there is a discrepancy between the values company boasts about, and actually living by them by upper management. Enormous quantity of reports and internal literature! They want everyone to know everything and roles to be interchangeable. For £6.50/hr! Progression path is unclear, ever changing and ridiculously slow!

Talk to your employees keeping in mind they are people worthy of respect, not mindless robots performing a role. Be transparent in your motives and always have a win-win attitude when you enter a conversation! Remember to give praise where one is deserved. Encourage your employees to be better than yesterday, inspire them how to be that, do not impose them unrealistic standards! You hired them for their talents and skills so nurture those and enhance them, rather than taking them for granted once they sign on the dotted line. Lead from your heart not from greed or fear.

Homebase Leytonstone

Former Employee - Volunteer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They have a drinks machine and smoker's room.

Cons

You may have to lift 25kg of concrete.
    They bought themselves a toaster that twice triggered the fire alarm.

Do not ask your employees to lift this weight. Get a machine that can.

Don't care about staff

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Salisbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Salisbury, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ummmm is there really any? I can say I really don't believe this company is worth working for.

Cons

Ask too much of staff, do not look after the ones they have and expect you to know everything without any training.

Proper training of the staff and not expecting them to work extra without giving any reward.

It's a great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in East Kilbride, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in East Kilbride, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's very easy to get on with everyone and it's a very relaxed environment even when dealing with customers, it's easy to talk and give customers great service and advice with our knowledge and training.

Cons

Unless having worked on shop floor, product knowledge isn't a top priority. I'm lucky to have worked across the whole shop so know different products while working behind the service desk.

I think training on different new products to al colleagues could be helpful.

I worked for Homebase for a few years during University.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolton, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and a great team spirit, a lovely company to work for, who really looked after me when i became ill.

Cons

Incentives were taken away from us when the store starting failing to meet its targets. This massively lowered moral and the team spirit ceased. Occasionally very dull on some shifts when there were no customers.

More opportunity for personal growth and promotional incentives need to be in place.;