Homebase Limited

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.2

Paul Loft

Pros
  • 10% Staff Discount is currently being offered to Asda Walmart employees (in 5 reviews)

• there are also many place you can be placed: tills, customer service, bathroom/bedroom design, cash office, replen (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers and team leaders discourage talking between staff while on the shop floor (in 5 reviews)

• However I do not believe for one second that any of the management really knows the people who work for them except the replenish and desk team leaders (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A mostly stress free retail job with generous breaks, though sometimes boring and monotonous.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generous breaks given and mostly paid for. Great work environment as long as you are enthusiastic and don't slack off.

Cons

Monotonous and repetitive tasks given to low level employees, above and beyond other retailers iv worked for. Managers or team leaders sometimes give you an unrealistic time frame to complete tasks in. Managers and team leaders discourage talking between staff while on the shop floor.

Allow staff members to socialise more on the shop floor as long as they are completing the tasks they have been given on time and minding customers. It raises employee morale and job satisfaction, meaning they will be more productive ad give better customer service.

Sham

Current Employee - Replenishment Team
    Current Employee - Replenishment Team

I have been working at Homebase Limited

Pros

Good breaks, often relaxed can have a laugh at times which I believe is a critical part of employment. Going to work and being miserable every day is not a good life.

Cons

Some members of staff should not have their jobs.
    Redundancy is highly likely.
    Dealing with the occasional awkward customer that demands this and that.
    Can be very b i t c h y.
    Managers don't have a clue, they don't work in your area of employment and therefore don't have a clue what they are doing therefore them giving orders on what to do can be a serious hindrance to work efficiency.
    Stock management is appalling.

A learning experience

I worked at Homebase Limited part-time

Pros

An easy company on the retail side to work for, where training is available to all staff. For a first job it was a learning experience and it helped confidence in selling goods to the customer and ensuring a good customer service

Cons

Managers push their 'replacement product care' too much to the staff often leaving awkward environment if not sold to customer. They were not very good at recording hours for payment purposes leaving me underpaid for a couple of months

Good for a while but has lost its way.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Homebase Limited full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly staff and a fun working atmosphere.

Cons

Although there are training programs available they are rarely followed through on. Internal progression is not happening at more senior levels.

Stop recruiting external managers that don't tend to last rather than promote from within.

A friendly and professional place to work.

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Homebase Limited as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The staff and managers are like a family. Everyone gets along and is understanding of each other. Hours and holidays can be readily negotiated without too much fuss. Operations run smoothly and training is always in depth.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a bit quiet in store so shifts can become boring. The shift rota rarely lists shifts more than a week in advance.

Allow rota's to display shifts in advance of at least 2 weeks. Keep doing a good job, managers at Sunderland store are good, no complaints.

Working with friends, can't go wrong

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are genuine friends. We are able to stop work from being a chore, whilst still getting all work done and doing a good job. All my colleagues have a good knowledge of the store and are always more than happy to help me out with my questions and training. The bonus system is fantastic as well and gives you an incentive to work your absolute hardest.

Cons

I don't have much bad to say at all towards Homebase. The majority of the negative aspects are outside of Homebase's control such as stock shortages, awkward customers, weather being incredibly hot whilst inside etc.

I think the bonus system which has been implemented is fantastic and if that can be pushed even further, I would say to go for it. Communication regarding overtime or holidays can be improved, especially in my store, but this is not a high priority by any means and is still good in my store at the moment.

This is my first job so i have no other job to compare my experience to but it is definitely enjoyable!

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The shift patterns are very flexible, if i am unable to work a particular day, it never seems to be too much hassle to swap shifts. My colleagues are fantastic and so easy to get along with both inside of work and out

Cons

Working on the information desk, there are often some challenging situations if a customer is unhappy

get told further in advance when the 15% weekends are on as we always have customers asking

The company who aims to be better than John Lewis

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company's values are ethical, ambitious and bold plans to make "every customer feel welcomed and taken care of". Good holiday entitlement, 20% staff discount and 10% staff discount in Argos. Yearly share saving scheme. Paid Free uniform, various other external benefits from selected companies such as 5% discount in Asda and 4% in Sainsbury's. Financially solid company. Good, quality products and colleagues are genuinely nice people to work with and are attentive to customers' needs. Great detail in reporting figures which can ease trouble shooting if needed.

Cons

There is a cascade of unrealistic expectations on multiple levels, micro management, lack luster implementation of new projects, bad communication between head office and stores (either too little or too much and quite often untimely). Slow reaction time to customer issues because everything needs to go through so many approval channels. Sad to say that there is a discrepancy between the values company boasts about, and actually living by them by upper management. Enormous quantity of reports and internal literature! They want everyone to know everything and roles to be interchangeable. For £6.50/hr! Progression path is unclear, ever changing and ridiculously slow!

Talk to your employees keeping in mind they are people worthy of respect, not mindless robots performing a role. Be transparent in your motives and always have a win-win attitude when you enter a conversation! Remember to give praise where one is deserved. Encourage your employees to be better than yesterday, inspire them how to be that, do not impose them unrealistic standards! You hired them for their talents and skills so nurture those and enhance them, rather than taking them for granted once they sign on the dotted line. Lead from your heart not from greed or fear.

Good employer for a part time job and flexible for students

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and days
    Staff discount is good
    Good experience with opportunities to work in different areas of the store

Cons

Pressure to sell replacement product care with no incentives or training on how to sell this
    More training for product knowledge would have helped

Homebase Leytonstone

Former Employee - Volunteer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They have a drinks machine and smoker's room.

Cons

You may have to lift 25kg of concrete.
    They bought themselves a toaster that twice triggered the fire alarm.

Do not ask your employees to lift this weight. Get a machine that can.