Homes.com Reviews

David Mele

1. Awesome Company

Current Employee - Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Homes.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very fun environment to work in, they are very diverse in hiring and give lots of room for individuals to express themselves and grow. We have a potlucks and celebrations almost every month. Free Bagels once a week, picnics, lunches, bonuses and pretty good benefits package. Management is friendly and always willing to listen, you never get the feeling like they are too busy for you. Because the company is growing and changing they appointed a training team that is always there to help answer any questions that come up so you never feel stupid. A lot of leniency in this job as long as you show up on time, try your hardest to meet your goals and contribute to a positive work environment you're golden.

Cons

No profit sharing in benefits package. All of management is young and hard working so they wont be going anywhere anytime soon, which can make it hard for anyone who is wanting to move up quickly but when higher up positions do become available they give everyone in office a fair chance to go for it.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward employees for hard work and company loyalty. Happy Employees = Happy Customers

2. Environment for Meaningful Advancement

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Homes.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management at Homes.com makes an effort to identify employees interested in advancing and provides training and opportunities for employees to showcase those desires. Homes.com is keen on promoting from within but isn't afraid to hire from without as well to provide a diversity of ideas.

Cons

At times, competing interested in product offerings do not communicate high enough up on the management ladder and cause middle management to be put in the middle.

Advice to Management

All product stakeholders should be involved in initiative planning to insure that products do not become orphaned or in order that middle management does not need to become an advocate for competing products.

3. A career to learn, live life, and share experiences with great coworkers.

I have been working at Homes.com full-time

Pros

I've been working at Homes.com for many years now and enjoy their focus on providing a challenging work environment while maintaining time for you to enjoy your personal life. New technologies, practices, and ideas are plenty and input is encouraged and solicited from all levels of the team.

Cons

We are still a relatively small team which can leave individuals with a large plate of responsibilities. This can be great for individual experience but it can also be overwhelming and lead to a lack of focus if not properly managed.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop staff financially, professionally, and technically. Employees are your greatest resource.

5. Good place to work, good people

I have been working at Homes.com full-time

Pros

Great people, growth business, lot's of opportunity coming

Cons

communications, need to focus on traffic growth

Advice to Management

Keep growing!

6. Management restructuring means opportunity moving forward

I have been working at Homes.com full-time

Pros

Homes.com has recently undergone a management reorganization. I read some of the past reviews and I don't even recognize the company they're referring to. The new team is working hard to establish a culture of transparency, accountability and shared opportunity. For employees who are willing to work hard and bring solutions to the table, growth opportunities are plentiful.

Cons

With transparency comes accountability. The company is in growth mode so it's a two way street. If you're not okay with being held accountable, then this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The majority of employees are very happy with the changes underway and the growth we're seeing.

7. Regional Sales Executive

I worked at Homes.com

Pros

Able to work from home with little supervisory support. Lots of good friendly people.

Cons

Told there was a base of business to manage which ended up to be less than true. The territory was so large that it made it nearly impossible to be an outside sales person which was the advertised position. The monthly quotas were near impossible unless you were one of the "chosen" few that were going to Trade shows on a regular basis. Only a small percentage succeed, most leave or are let go within the first 6-12 months.

Advice to Management

Get a better training program. Have the managers out visiting their reps on a regular basis. Make the Trade shows more evenly distributed among the reps so everyone has the same chance to succeed.

8. Does not pay well; bad management

Current Employee - IT
    Current Employee - IT

I have been working at Homes.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. The umbrella company at least pretends to try. Good to tide you over until you can get out. Good if you are stuck in the area for family.

Cons

This is a horribly managed company. Maybe Dave Mele will turn things around but right now the only thing he cares about is putting more ads on the site. There's no long term investment in the staff. They are treated disrespectfully. If you want to work for a company that recognizes that innovation is in the product itself and in the customer service, don't work here.

Advice to Management

The focus on sales is doomed. the ads for homes and renatls are not a platform for selling more ads. Solve customer problems = winning

Homes.com Response

Apr 15, 2015Director of Marketing

Staff development is very important at Homes.com, as is maintaining an environment of mutual respect. We want to hear your ideas for how we can improve our company and our products. We encourage you ... More

9. Director

Current Employee - Director in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Homes.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment. Challenging product set with an atmosphere for growth

Cons

Not the highest paying company in the industry. Pay can become stagnant

Advice to Management

Financially reward those who perform. This will help keep the top people motivated to stay. Communicate a clear company vision and plan for growth.

10. Mass-turnover

Current Employee - Web Developer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Homes.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of old technologies to maintain. You don't have to worry bout getting rich.

Cons

The pay is much lower than market so everyone leaves after a year or two. The management is incompetent to say the least.

Advice to Management

Hire some

11. Not the best job I ever had

Former Employee - NSG, AE
    Former Employee - NSG, AE

I worked at Homes.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Co Worker. my Manager ( Mary Ellen) was awesome and should be running the company! The job is fun, enjoyed working with clients.

Cons

THe Upper Management has no idea of what they are doing, or any clue what it is like in the field. Products rarely work as promised.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, get out and actually talk to clients and learn what they want and need. Stop raising costs.