Honda Aircraft Company

Good Company, Good Experience

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Honda Aircraft Company as an intern for more than a year

Pros

It's a very new and small company in aircraft manufacturing industry with some very skilled workforce. I am an Aerospace Engineer myself and I did my co-op at this company while doing my undergrad. Work experience is great. Unlike most company intern are expected to do some quality work here and are taken seriously. Engineers are very supportive.

Cons

None, besides the town it is located in. Greensboro, NC is not the most happening town. It's a very laid back town so if one is looking to have a 'good' time outside work, there isn't much to do. Workforce is not very young, but at the same time well experienced.

Make the intern/co-op program more diverse. There isn't many activities or programs (such a lunch and learn more about the company etc...) organized by the company for the interns. There could be some improvements made in that area.

Learn to trust your employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have a corporate philosophy called "Honda Philosophy" that if it was followed across the board it would be a great place to work. Individuals should be treated with respect, irrespective of position and title. The people are passionate about doing a good job and want to see success. They've invested their lives in building a new company and airplanes and willing to sacrifice for improved success in the future.

Cons

Japanese leadership has openly said they do not trust American leadership they've hired to help run the company and are constantly second guessing us. Constantly fighting up-hill battles to get what we need and questioned about our reasoning at every turn. Lack of clear direction from the SLT with several managers now playing politics to keep themselves hired and even promoted to the next level.

Trust that you've made good decisions. Hold managers and VP's accountable, and be willing to fire those that aren't getting the job done. We have so many good, talented people working at the Supervisor and Manager level, but we are stifled by the politics and lack of backbone from the SLT. Yet, for all its faults, HACI could be a great company to work for if the SLT, including Fujino-san would stop trying to be engineers and instead by leaders and managers. Make the tough decisions, tell Fujino-san the truth, and accept responsibility for decisions and failures.

Can't Wait to Leave

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is awesome if you work as a contractor. I honestly cannot think of anything else positive to say about this company.

Cons

Don't plan to do anything innovative. The employees that have been there longer will fight you every step of the way to protect their own egos.. Existing design flaws are ignored. Previous experience is not valued at all. There is no sense of urgency to get things done even though the roll out of the initial design is 5 years behind schedule. A large number of employees are dissatisfied, but if you speak out about things that need to change, you will be let go. It's an unspoken rule that current employees are not allowed to change jobs. There are NO opportunities for advancement. Turnover is very high for a workforce of <1000. There are many dead weight employees that no one will do anything about. This company is terrible.

Stop letting the Procurement group act like they are running the company. I would say stand up for your employees and their ideas, but I know that will result in you being fired. Allow people to move around in the company - this creates a happier, better informed, more productive work force.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Current Employee - Structural Design Engineer III  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Structural Design Engineer III in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

good start up company with a great future

Cons

I dont like Greensboro. not much to do here

Not Impressed with the Company

I worked at Honda Aircraft Company as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is okay but that is about it.

Cons

Tend promise contract/temp workers a job and you hope and work there for years still promising a job then never follow through even after starting the hiring process. This is a "good boy club" better change to get in if you have worked with the same people in another aircraft company. Company tends to over look talented employees.

Management needs to look past of the gossip and focus on the hard working people, not the popular ones. Needs to have more Japanese Managers.

Great learning experience as an Intern.

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Honda Aircraft Company as an intern for more than a year

Pros

One of the few places where interns actually get to do real stuff and not just copy and file papers. The projects they gave during my each rotation were very challenging.
    Company staff including all the engineers are very helpful and supportive.

Cons

Location is not the best you ever want to be at. Greensboro is a little laid back town.
    Not as many young people working at the company. Interns can't find many colleagues to hag out with.

Senior engineer

Current Employee - Stress Engineer  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Stress Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Former Gulfstream employees run the show.

Cons

Not a bad place to work.

Dont hire too many people from Gulfstream

A company with potential but overreaches and tends to burn out the Engineers.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company

Pros

Excellent Pay and Benefits. Design work is not outsourced to suppliers. Smaller organization leads to fewer meetings and more time is spent on getting the job done.

Cons

Chronically understaffed and as a result the schedule is unrealistic. Very little communication about the progress of the program from senior management. Japanese engineers came out of Honda R&D and have no aerospace experience. There is no concept of design for manufacturability and the parts they design tend to be costly. and heavy Management tends to led through intimidation and threats of layoff's if the scheduled isn't meet.

Hire more direct employees and get rid of most of the contract engineers. Spend more time listen to the ideas of the American engineers that you have hired.

Enjoyable experience

Current Employee - Structural Analysis Engineer  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Structural Analysis Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company

Pros

Pay, Location, Support from management, Current Boss

Cons

Future work questionable or secretive, not divulged

Let other engineers know of potential future work before they go elsewhere to maintain competent effective transitions to new projects.

Interesting place

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, good people, great product

Cons

cold culture, no promotion track

focus more on the people and less on the schedule and then schedule issues will resolve themselves

Worked for Honda Aircraft Company? Contribute to the Community!