Honda Manufacturing of Indiana

Bob Nelson

fair place to work

Current Employee - Technical Specialist
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fair pay and benefits,getting better at promoting from within stopping the rotating shifts

Cons

could do better at training managers

Very fair company that does it's b

Current Employee - Team Manager in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Very fair company that believes in promoting from within. There are abundant opportunities available for growth.

Cons

Currently it would be that we are on a rotating schedule but as of January we will be on a set fixed shift.

Be as personable as possible. It really goes a long way with the associates.

Good job and benefits if you're okay with the repetitive nature of an assembly line job.

Former Employee - Production Associate in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Greensburg, IN

I worked at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The base pay is good, along with the 401k matching and profit sharing, they also raise your pay twice a year based on the cost of living (also you have normal pay raises within the first 2 years) which is also nice compared to most other jobs.

Cons

Working for a Japanese company they are very strict so you sorta just feel like a number and don't have a whole lot of say in things. They are very strict with their attendance policy (points system) - I was on my way to work and was 5 minutes away when I hit a deer and totaled my car but they still didn't care what the excuse was as to why I was late. I suggest living near the facility (Shelbyville or actually Greensburg) because the drive for me was a hassle, especially during the winter time and as strict as they are (drove from Indy). Everyone in your department has to rotate between first and second shift every 2 weeks which sucks because your body doesn't really get used to that.

Accept feedback from the people who are actually working for you and make adjustments from there, instead of just doing something a certain way because "that's how we always have done it"

Beware!!! Very Deceiving from the outside looking in.

Current Employee - Production Associate in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Great company paid benifits. Good pay and company set vacation weeks 1 week in the summer over the 4th of July and up to 2 weeks for Christimas.

Cons

Imagine a place where 2000 employees of the roughly 2200 hate their job. Low morale. They claim they care about the employees and their work /life balance however there is a current week rotation that I after 3 years of doing so cannot get the hang of, although that is set to change in January. High injury rate due to the lack of the associates to get proper amount of rest. They value the almighty dollar and not the people that are making the money for them. No loyalty to long term employees. Have private investigators track people on FMLA. The System and polices are set up for you to fail. Nepotism runs the place. If you don’t kiss up you might as well give up on moving up. I have been there sense day one and every engineer, except possibly 5, have quit. It says a lot about a company when it is just as hard or harder to keep none production associates. Unbelievable turnover rate. Unfair to temps. Secretive. Just an all-around horrible place. I’m very surprised there are not more reviews. I promise they have had more employees than they currently employee to quit or be fired for one reason or another within the six years they have been open. THIS IS NOT A UNION SHOP. So if you are a past union employee, it will be extremely hard for you to adjust. Also just to give you an idea, of the 1200 employees (give or take a few) that were there when the first car rolled off line in 2008, there are less than 100 remaining. Please think twice before you work here. No sugar coating here. Not a family or employee friendly company in my opinion.

Basically, treat and respect your employees!!! Advancement should be based on your performance and the ability to do certain jobs, not on whether or not you like the person. Give equal opportunities to all not just some. If you truly value what the associate survey points out there was more there than just complaints concerning the shift-rotation

Great Global Opportunity in Indiana

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth and development as a professional with a global viewpoint. Supportive of innovation and creativity. Excellent benefits and compensation. Built in vacation time during 2 plant shut down weeks. Strong core values and philosophy which makes the company even more respectable.

Cons

Could continue to develop more flexibility through creative alternatives.

Management is doing a great job of engaging and being actively involved. Continue to develop young or new to Honda talent.

Plant is 5 years old and has many growing pains at all levels.

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Greensburg, IN

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No union presence. Multiple shift operation. Opportunity to travel to Canada, Ohio, & Japan. Able to work with other like minded people. 6% 401k match. Annual pay increase. Ability to purchase new Honda cars, motorcycles, and equipment at discounted price. Multiple opportunities to learn different skill sets from welding, injection molding, supplier quality, technical accounting, project management, regulations, etc. Job perks are slim now, but are growing. Some current events are attend Indiana Black Expo luncheon, multiple local school career days, Indy 11 soccer team, discounted tickets to Purdue, IU basketbal/football, race events at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There are 2 week long plant shutdowns. 1 week for Christmas and 1 for 4th of July week. Personal growth is not clearly seen nor promoted at this time. Intentions are there just not well executed at this time. Plant is right off the highway. So most commute with mostly highway driving.

Cons

Large organization brings many problems that the management team is not currently able to adapt to the situation. Japanese culture is very present is difficult to understand and is not readily taught to its employees. Most meetings are not well managed. My misconception was that Honda has been around 30+ years. I thought the experience and knowledge would reflect that. Instead I arrived at a plant that is only 5 yrs old and does not appears to be starting on its own with out much help from 30+yrs of experience of its parent company. Unless you grew up in a 40 mile radius of the plant, it has a unique culture. Most resources such as home improvement stores, car dealerships, fine dining, cultural events, shopping, tourist attractions are 1hr drive from plant. The work-life balance varies depending on department, seasonal timing, and manager. All levels of good bad are experienced.

Improve the work place environment. Bring strong leadership and stay consistent. Knowledge must be past quickly to new hires. Talent is continuously leaving, thus all the knowledge is leaving, putting us no further forward than we started

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Encouraged to think "outside the box," continuous improvement is in the company's DNA, respect for the individual is practiced. management tries hard to make associates feel valued, stable company - no layoffs, same rules for everyone on attendance, conduct.
    Health insurance paid for by company as well as providing a health fund to keep the associates' costs low for doctor visits, prescriptions, etc. 401k is matched $ for $ the first 6%, company provides additional contributions based upon years of service, up to an additional 8%.

Cons

Promotions don't happen very quickly

Keep doing what you're doing with recognition, we are eating it up!

Bait and Switch

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Greensburg, IN

Pros

The health insurance is really good. A single person doesn't have to pay anything towards it and it includes medical, dental, and vision. Plus they give you a health fund with money to pay for your doctors visits and prescriptions. Unless you are extremely ill, you probably won't exhaust the fund.

Cons

Human resources department lacks professionalism. In evaluating the job offer, I asked questions and when they didn't know an answer or just didn't want to tell me the answer they ignored it. When I asked the questions again the recruiter with whom I was working told me "If you don't want to come then don't!"
    The company is not afraid to lie to get you in the door. Once you start, they will tell you the truth about everything that they lied about.
    Company values only exist on paper; they do not practice what they preach.
    They use a no fault attendance policy with no rewards, only punishment. If you are unfamiliar with no fault attendance policies, they basically dictate that there are no excused or unexcused absences, only absences, and they all count against you. They use this for both exempt and non-exempt employees, so if you thought that degree was going to get you some benefits, think again.
    The attendance policy makes it such that employees who are contagious and should not come to work show up so that they don't get punished.
    Speaking of your degree, it doesn't make a difference here. They don't offer any incentives for a degree.
    Your past experience means absolutely nothing here.
    Compensation is very poor for exempt employees. Any other company in the area will pay you tens of thousands more in a comparable role.
    Employees in their first year may earn 8 hours of paid time off if they have perfect attendance the first 90 days. If you get sick and use that one day, the next time you get sick, you will be punished.
    Paid time off maxes out at 15 days, and that is once you have been with the company for 10 years. In all of my previous professional positions, 15 days was the allotment for the first year.
    The people who hold management roles are incompetent to say the least. The company is young and it shows with the people who have been chosen to lead.
    Some job functions are looked down upon, and no one is afraid to tell you if you are in a position that they look down upon.
    The roles and responsibilities for each job are not well defined due to a lack of understanding by the management of what each position takes. If you are used to getting a job description when you start a job, you won't get one here because they don't exist.
    There is no room for advancement... period.

Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk. Mr. Honda would be ashamed of the way associates are treated. Company policies are focused on making money at the expense of employee morale and health. The policies need to be more balanced to promote healthy employees, because without the employees, you can't make any money. Professionals should be treated as such. Don't be so focused on treating everyone the same because treating everyone fairly is much more important than treating everyone the same.

Company values and principles not followed

Former Employee - Team Coordinator in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Team Coordinator in Greensburg, IN

I worked at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great.

Cons

Tiny raises for associates. Bonus much less than forecasted year after year. Minimal training for new associates. Company values and principles are great however they are not practiced in the plant. Upper management inept and "good ole boy" system for key positions and promotions with no regard for actual skills and ability.

Attitude Reflects Leadership

Former Employee - Engineer in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Greensburg, IN

I worked at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company was starting to get a little better, but my outlook on this company has been too tarnished to wait for the inefficient admin group to implement anything.

Cons

The old saying is "if you can't do, teach". If you're terrible at your job, you're more likely to get promoted to management so you can't screw things up. There's exceptions, but the trend follows this pattern. Poor hiring/promoting policies have created a sense of cynicism that causes all groups to hoard information. The company policy "One Team" was very contradicting to actual environment.

Pretty much everything. Best to take a part time job and wait until something better comes along.

Not optimistic long term because upper management are puppets to what Ohio/Japan want and middle management are toxic in regards to performance feedback, personal growth, team building, and technical training. Their looking out only for themselves and not those under them.

Upper management should not be people from non-manufacturing departments. There are too many upper management who don't know anything about manufacturing or common sense and manufacturing middle management (mainly equipment groups asking for money) take advantage of these shortcomings.

Honda Manufacturing of Indiana Photos