Honda Manufacturing of Indiana

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.5

Bob Nelson

Challenging, Fast Paced, Come to be challenged and apply your skills!

Current Employee - Lead Technical Specialist in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Technical Specialist in Greensburg, IN

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment. Associates are respected for their opinions and thought process. A degree may get you in the door, but work ethic and personal drive and dedication will get you promoted. Easy to see those who want to put in the time and effort and those who don't. Great benefits and pay. Advancement opportunities are up to the individual. Many meetings and Presentations. Come to work with your creative thinking cap on! Expect to be told No, or additional information is required (but, don't get discouraged.. try, try.. try.. again). This is for learning opportunity, as well as a Challenging Spirt. The more you perform presentations - the easier they do become (nothing in life comes easy, folks!) Good working team currently. Floor is going to be a Fixed Shift Environment soon (all in Jan). Office staff is made up of Engineers, past floor associates, and others who may have graduated with various backgrounds. Open office mind-set with many recent Associate changes being made. Definitely a company in the right direction! Many positions can be held by anyone that has the right skills, work ethic, and drive for a better future for themselves and the company/department. You don't need a college degree to succeed!

Cons

Still some associates who feel that they are owed more than they should be. I feel that some of the engineers think that their degree should set them apart. It's not about the degree, but what you do with it. Just because you go to school for 4+ years doesn't mean you can sit around and get paid. Management experience is a little on the low side, but improving every day.

Continue the good work! There are many changes that are occuring that have tested the entire group. Keep up the communication and continue to walk your areas multiple times per area. Always listen to the associates, take their considerations in mind, and never forget the follow-up!

A company that provides opportunities

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana

Pros

Honda is a company that cares about its team. Honda lives by its philosophies and associates are encouraged to dream, work with passion, have joy in their job, have a challenging spirit, and respect co-workers. The work is very challenging, but very rewarding.

Cons

There are challenges with any large company. However, Honda does a great job of making a large company feel like a large family. In today's economy, job stability is so important and Honda provides a good steady wage, excellent benefits and opportinities to grow. I'm proud to say I work for a company who has never had layoffs and values its team.

Continue to work closely with associates on their training and development. Share your wisdom and transfer your knowledge.

Perfect for the undriven, unmotivated, and unambitious.

Current Employee - Exempt in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Exempt in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Stable work and steady paycheck are the pure good things. Low performance expectations outside of attendance and the required fake smile are the good things for some. If you come to work, smile, and stay out of the baby-mama-drama you'll have a job forever. All the other infractions you do only matter when a reason needs to be documented why you were cut and drama just won't do.

Cons

Only one thing is for certain....there is always a friend of a manager, or someone to transfer from Ohio, instead of promoting you. Then for the grand finale they will permanently transfer the short term assigned Ohio people to take your next promotion forever.
    The harder you try to more angry you'll get because it won't get you anything or anywhere.
    This job is perfect for someone who wants to just know they have a job so long as they can stay straight with strict policies and on the up and up with dirty management. Excess effort is not rewarded so if thats you this is not for you.

Truly use the Indiana people. Develop people into more than tier 2 Ohio minions and let Indiana run Indiana. Quit bringing Ohio over and maybe Indiana will stabilize. It's just logical.
    Indiana is not stabilizing because of Ohio. Ohio is not a crutch while Indiana doesn't stabilize. It may hurt at first but you have to cut Ohio and endure short pain in order for Indiana to make it.

fair place to work

Current Employee - Technical Specialist
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist

Pros

fair pay and benefits,getting better at promoting from within stopping the rotating shifts

Cons

could do better at training managers

Not a good company to work for

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You just have to show up.
    Medical benefits

Cons

Everything else.. Time off/Leave policies, pay, respect.
    12/8/14 Emails were sent out asking for favorable reviews on Glassdoor.

Don't try to bribe people into leaving favorable reviews. Take these reviews and use the information contained within them to improve the situation.

Very fair company that does it's b

Current Employee - Team Manager in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Very fair company that believes in promoting from within. There are abundant opportunities available for growth.

Cons

Currently it would be that we are on a rotating schedule but as of January we will be on a set fixed shift.

Be as personable as possible. It really goes a long way with the associates.

Good job and benefits if you're okay with the repetitive nature of an assembly line job.

Former Employee - Production Associate in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Greensburg, IN

I worked at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The base pay is good, along with the 401k matching and profit sharing, they also raise your pay twice a year based on the cost of living (also you have normal pay raises within the first 2 years) which is also nice compared to most other jobs.

Cons

Working for a Japanese company they are very strict so you sorta just feel like a number and don't have a whole lot of say in things. They are very strict with their attendance policy (points system) - I was on my way to work and was 5 minutes away when I hit a deer and totaled my car but they still didn't care what the excuse was as to why I was late. I suggest living near the facility (Shelbyville or actually Greensburg) because the drive for me was a hassle, especially during the winter time and as strict as they are (drove from Indy). Everyone in your department has to rotate between first and second shift every 2 weeks which sucks because your body doesn't really get used to that.

Accept feedback from the people who are actually working for you and make adjustments from there, instead of just doing something a certain way because "that's how we always have done it"

Beware!!! Very Deceiving from the outside looking in.

Current Employee - Production Associate in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Great company paid benifits. Good pay and company set vacation weeks 1 week in the summer over the 4th of July and up to 2 weeks for Christimas.

Cons

Imagine a place where 2000 employees of the roughly 2200 hate their job. Low morale. They claim they care about the employees and their work /life balance however there is a current week rotation that I after 3 years of doing so cannot get the hang of, although that is set to change in January. High injury rate due to the lack of the associates to get proper amount of rest. They value the almighty dollar and not the people that are making the money for them. No loyalty to long term employees. Have private investigators track people on FMLA. The System and polices are set up for you to fail. Nepotism runs the place. If you don’t kiss up you might as well give up on moving up. I have been there sense day one and every engineer, except possibly 5, have quit. It says a lot about a company when it is just as hard or harder to keep none production associates. Unbelievable turnover rate. Unfair to temps. Secretive. Just an all-around horrible place. I’m very surprised there are not more reviews. I promise they have had more employees than they currently employee to quit or be fired for one reason or another within the six years they have been open. THIS IS NOT A UNION SHOP. So if you are a past union employee, it will be extremely hard for you to adjust. Also just to give you an idea, of the 1200 employees (give or take a few) that were there when the first car rolled off line in 2008, there are less than 100 remaining. Please think twice before you work here. No sugar coating here. Not a family or employee friendly company in my opinion.

Basically, treat and respect your employees!!! Advancement should be based on your performance and the ability to do certain jobs, not on whether or not you like the person. Give equal opportunities to all not just some. If you truly value what the associate survey points out there was more there than just complaints concerning the shift-rotation

Great Global Opportunity in Indiana

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Great opportunity for growth and development as a professional with a global viewpoint. Supportive of innovation and creativity. Excellent benefits and compensation. Built in vacation time during 2 plant shut down weeks. Strong core values and philosophy which makes the company even more respectable.

Cons

Could continue to develop more flexibility through creative alternatives.

Management is doing a great job of engaging and being actively involved. Continue to develop young or new to Honda talent.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Encouraged to think "outside the box," continuous improvement is in the company's DNA, respect for the individual is practiced. management tries hard to make associates feel valued, stable company - no layoffs, same rules for everyone on attendance, conduct.
    Health insurance paid for by company as well as providing a health fund to keep the associates' costs low for doctor visits, prescriptions, etc. 401k is matched $ for $ the first 6%, company provides additional contributions based upon years of service, up to an additional 8%.

Cons

Promotions don't happen very quickly

Keep doing what you're doing with recognition, we are eating it up!

Honda Manufacturing of Indiana Photos