Honda R & D Americas

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Frank Paluch

Pros
  • Job security is a company policy, no layoffs of full time associates during recession(in 8 reviews)

• overtime paid,good benefits, big manufactue(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is more of a work/sleep balance(in 10 reviews)

• Marysville is in the middle of nowhere(in 4 reviews)

Intrinsic highs, practical lows

Group Leader (Supervisor) (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsGreat benefits, status of working for well-regarded company, enjoyed work when management cared

ConsToo many internal politics, Peter Principle alive and well, heavy workload coupled with ambiguous expectations, pay not commensurate with required responsibilities and more...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Japanese mindset of "nail sticking up gets pounded down", allow associates to explore their potential by accepting failure without inducing fear

An adequate place to make a living if you can tolerate the Japanese culture & language BS.

Senior Engineer II (Current Employee) Raymond, OH

ProsComfortable and newly constructed work environment. Internationally well respected company & products. Challenging & interesting responsibilities (in some cases). Decent pay for the area (Central OH with low cost of living)

ConsJapanese culture is difficult to deal with at times. Any "REAL" decisions are still made by the Japanese staff or in the "Mother Land". Many documents and higher level meetings conducted in Japanese. A dual culture exists within the company. Kind of "Us vs Them" feeling at times. Many higher level Americans are just puppets of their Japanese superiors. Have you seen the movie "Gun g H o"? It's spot-on.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurge the non-performers at all levels and bring in or promote people who are respected. It's VERY destructive to the motivation of competent people to be "lead" by incompetent boobs, whether they be Japanese or American staff.

A lot of potential, but many leave frustrated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Nearly limitless resources for vehicle development. At it's heart, Honda has the nimbleness of a startup, loyalty of a family company, and resources of a global industrial conglomerate.
    -Honda's philosophy and culture are well intentioned. This is a company run by engineers (every CEO has come from R&D). As such, most of the business decisions are logical and data-driven. Engineers are respected.
    -If you can dream it and make a business case, then you will likely have the opportunity to have your idea heard. Even if the answer is "no", it's reassuring that top management will give employees the chance to speak.
    -The President of Honda R&D knew my face and name. I've worked at several Fortune 500 companies and Honda R&D is the only company where I've experienced this.
    -Columbus is a decent place to live on an engineer's salary with a low cost-of-living and good amenities (as long as you're not expecting NYC/Chicago/LA).

Cons-Politics and in-fighting between departments can make the environment stressful for employees and difficult to drive change. In-fighting and criticizing ideas as a stall tactic is dysfunctional.
    -Work/life balance is poor. No one expects to work 9-5 these days. But unrealistic work loads and last minute change requests from project teams make for long days and unpredictable schedules. This leads many to burn out and impacts personal and family life outside of work. What kind of life is that? Suggestion to HR: Implement a sabbatical program so employees can recharge and learn outside skills.
    -Due to the flat organization, there are limited opportunities for upward movement. Suggestion to HR: Create more horizontal/lateral positions so employees can at least develop a niche if they can't move up.
    -Pay alone is not an issue. But when you combine lower pay with poor work/life balance, high stress, and limited opportunities for growth, most employees eventually decide the grass is greener elsewhere.
    -Management will spend hours nit-picking PowerPoints. While it is important to tell a concise technical story, recognize this is a skill that takes time to develop. Nit-picking for the sake of nit-picking is a waste of time. When did a presentation become more important than the product (drawing)?

Advice to Senior Management-Listen to what your employees are telling you and do something about it. The "Honda" brand attracts bright, young engineers. They are not the problem. Hold HR and Design/Test Managers accountable for employee retention and moral. Recognize that you are wasting a great deal of money on employee turnover and losing skilled engineers. That is money which could be spent on vehicle development, that is experience which could be used to develop cutting-edge technologies. Recognize that low morale impacts creativity and innovation.
    -Instead of departments fighting amongst themselves or R&D fighting with the plants, you need to be fighting *for* your customers. The auto industry is becoming more and more competitive each year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A playground of mad feelings and emotion.

Design Engineer II (Current Employee) Raymond, OH

ProsThe company is a large company.
    It has a nice lunch room

Cons1) There is a false sense of security based on the buddy system. This can be confusing to others who already have great skills.

2) The contractors are seen as a tier of lower class people that havent completed nessisary life accomplishments. Weird for a shop.

3) A good percentage of 'Buddy system' contractors actually worked at Honda fulltime then lost their jobs so they go to Honda R@D thinking they can get back in.

4) Most of the fulltime workers have lower degrees and a false sense of accomplishment just by being hired in and actually confuse new people, expect them to be mad and have same depressed mood swings from 1984.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice. The company will soon enter the ranks of GM confusion.

Please look at other options before you take a position here.

Senior Engineer I (Current Employee) Raymond, OH

ProsUse of company cars
    Flexibility in job
    Actual job function isn't bad

ConsYou can only fail up here, your work is not based on actual merit but only perception by certain people

In engine group, documents are the only thing that anyone judges. Actual work output means nothing.

Recently we changed management and things seemed to be getting better but it is going downhill again, I can't say I have hope for this organization.

The fortune top 100 goal is a joke. Honda couldn't make this list if they gave everyone a free car.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some outside experience. Stop thinking the honda way is the only way. We aren't the best and our employee retention rate shows this.

Contractors are treated as third class.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raymond, OH

ProsDepending on what contract the Honda R&D ISD is using, very good money.

ConsThe Honda ISD Persons In Charge (PIC) treat the Tier 1 & 2 contractors like objects that can be replaced at any time. This has been the attitude for the past three years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire dedicated corporate professionals instead of segregation of blame to contractors (fuses).

A good place for those with analytical skills, discipline, and interest in Japan

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Marysville, OH

ProsTrust by management in your abilities, early project leadership if it is desired. Variety of job tasks keeps things from getting monotonous. Overtime pay for salaried employees. Flex time if working holidays. Paid travel. Strong internal support for personal improvement, education reimbursement, flat organizational structure. Job security is a company policy, no layoffs of full time associates during recession. Freedoms to explore personal areas of interest if they align with company goals. Interaction with associate from other parts of the works like Japan, Mexico, UK, and even if it counts Canada.

ConsWork schedule can interfere with those who have families and do not manage their time wisely but start time is flexible, some come in early and leave before 3pm, some come in at 10 am and work till 7 pm.
    Communication is difficult and because the company is so flat it is hard sometimes to get work from people who are technically below you. Very hard to "force" good ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have read a few reviews here and wanted to give some advice to those who maybe interested in Honda, instead of complaining or over exaggerating. I have a degree and was hired in full time. This is not my first job so I can compare this position to others I held. In a nutshell this is a place for you if you love to get hands on, desire to do more than just one specific task day in and day out and want to be a part of multicultural world class organization, and understand what pros and cons come with working for a large company.
    First the "bad" news. The workload is demanding at this time. After the recession market demand for cars is growing and all companies that have strong sales are investing in new plants, equipment and model redesign. This is a job that requires deadlines to be met, it is no different from many professional positions in other industries such as finance or sales. The difference is that all entry level salaried position are paid overtime! That is rare. In my past companies salary was salary but the expection to work long hours was there just as well.
    Communication is a problem from both sides. Many managers are Americans so to say its all Japanese is not true. Having said that you would do well to read up on Japanese culture and work ethic. In Japan it is impolite to directly order someone around or state the obvious. So some people mistake that for intentional deceit. I personally like the structure, some do not. Spending a few hours online will put you in the top 20 percent of people here when it comes to cultural etiquette. It nothing magic just some refuse to admit that this is multicultural organization even though its in Ohio farm country. Marysville is 15 min from Columbus suburbs and many live there. And lastly the job does not require a very hight level of technical knowledge. Most engineers are system integrators or suppliers managers but this is not the same as saying that anyone can do this job, just someone with a good education and clever mind.
    Now the good news. This is accompany that truly will give you the responsibility and trust to work on a project early on. Within one or two years depending on your desires. The company is aging and many older associates will be retiring within the next 10 years. Promotion notifications come out weekly. Those who make it in the next 5 years will be management in 10. Equality is the principle of this company. It may not always be 100% but many companies don't have any protection for unfair treatment. There is no micromanagement once you show you are capable and willing to work on your own. The vacation package and flex time is the best I have had between 3 companies I worked at.

Design Engineer

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Marysville, OH

ProsNo pros, just a big name , no appreciation of work that you do

ConsBeing a contractor you have no possibility if getting permanent and you are just a Catia donkey, don't think just work.
    At some point in time you will be replaced with some guy from foreign country who can work at lower rate!
    Don't bother to work here.

stable but not exciting.

Engineer II (Current Employee) Raymond, OH

Prospays contractors well, stable, easy workloads. As another engineer told me while I was working there, "i do work that pertains to my projects for about 50% of my day, the rest of the day I am doing whatever else I want to do"

Consnot much room for advancement, not an exciting job for an engineer, and the division between contractors and direct-hire employees is HUGE. If you are a contractor in the powersports division, you are treated as an outsider that doesn't really belong there.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication between management and contractors is basically zero, this should be improved.

Greatest chance to try anything you want, most challenging company culture you will ever experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsYou will get to challenge yourself with lots of different projects, have access to amazing resources, and if you really have a vision for something, you can push things incredibly far.

ConsThe company culture is incredibly distorted. What should be a great mix of Japanese/American culture ends up being a passive aggressive, demeaning, misguided and shortsighted group of opinions. The best people quit this company once they learn what can.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your culture. Remember to serve your customer and employee again with humility. We need to build a company and individuals with character.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Honda R & D Americas? Contribute to the Community!