Honda of America Mfg.
www.ohio.honda.com Marysville, OH 5000+ Employees

Honda of America Mfg. Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Tomomi Kosaka

Pros:
  • "Overall the pay and benefits are good for the area that they employ from"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good pay Hours are strict, must work when they tell you"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great benefits but not much of a rewarding career... I would say and "organized chaos"

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Marysville, OH

Pros-Excellent benefits and pension
    -Great people
    -That's about it

Cons-Not very innovative
    -Very conservative
    -Want to solve complex problems with basic knowledge
    -Poor communication between American and Japanese staff
    -No much flexibility on schedule
    -Promotions are a joke, and pay increase is based on the overtime worked and not on the quality or efficiency of work.
    -Reviews system is a joke.
    -Do not value additional or higher education
    -Wrong people in high or leadership positions
    -Do not look forward to continue getting promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite the fact that everyone wears the same uniform, it seems to me that the Japanese and American staff do not work together on same plan. Need to improve that.

H of A

Assembly Associate (Current Employee)
    Marysville, OH

ProsMeeting new people. Monthly bonus pay for attendance, pay increase for time put in. Full benefits package.

ConsYou have to get your body ready for the workload your about to endure. For the first 4-6 wks its going to be hell on your body, from bruises to your hands/fingers and wrist hurting. I work at honda through a temp agency and you get 2 call offs and 3 emergency days (BS, yea I know). Its a 2yr temp/hire position and there's no guarantee that you will get hired, there are people who have worked 7-10 yrs as a temp (Yea BS, i know). Not family friendly at all, obviously because of the #of days you can call off. An being a single parent can be challenging working at honda because things come up and you need for your employer to understand. Lets not talk abo how many days full time associates get off ugh!......Lets just say, I have been with Honda through Adecco for 7 months now and I am currently looking for new permanent opportunities. An unless you have 2 yrs of experience already in manufacturing the pay isnt that great at first. Your pay raise is increased by the # of hours worked.

About every full time associate that I've talked to all say that if they could quit right now they would, they hate their job. I dont blame them!!! Also, some full timers dont like to see temps treated equally as them, it becomes a problem in some areas, not all areas of the plant are like that.

If your working first shift and possibly got hired on, you automatically get bumped to B shift which is 2nd. From what I was told you stay on B shift FOREVER, before they even consider bumping you back to first, which is all based off your clock# whether or not you get put on for first shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive temps a fair chance, just like the full time associates. Paid Vacation days should be rewarded by either the hours or months in.....like..... 7 vacation days 3 call ins and 5 emergency days. Eligible for vacation days after completing 6 or 7 months with required hours included.

26 Years For What??

Engineering Coordinator (Current Employee)
    East Liberty, OH

ProsBenefits (if your allowed to use them or not cheated out of them)
    Yearly Bonus
    Other than money there are no Pros.

ConsManagers are more like prison wardens. "Respect for the individual" is no longer used except in the company's vision statement!

Currently the company is doing everything possible to eliminate those getting close to retirement!
    Seniority counts for nothing and experience is not considered. Job assignments and shift preference are not given out on time of service or experience; it’s not what you know it’s who you know.
    Promotions and favored positions are given only to the “Good Ole Boys” using the tight buddy system.

Evaluations are a joke, they are not used to improve performance or praise good performance; but used as a tool to cover managements short comings at your expense.

HR and CC are of no use to anyone. The open door policy, means if you don’t like it; there is the front door, don’t let it hit you on the way out.

In-house product quality is poor due to inconsistency of training, fatigued workers and outdated/poorly maintenanced equipment.

Honda is a good name to have on your resume but don’t waste your life here. The Honda family as it was once known, no longer exist, you will pay with your mind and body if not your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your ass "Go to the Spot", share in the associates "3 Joys"!

Quit shooting down your people just because they know more than you! Take the time to walk in their shoes if only for a few minutes!

Jumping in and helping a line associate will go a long way in improving your image!

This is the worst management I've ever seen in my entire career at Honda! Rude, obnoxious, with a holier than thou attitude.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have worked here 17 years and will continue to be employed because of the job security.

Production Associate (Current Employee)
    Marysville, OH

ProsBenefits are the best part of Honda

ConsRepetitive work and injuries are the main concern

Advice to Senior ManagementNot at this time

Good for a couple years

Engineering Coordinator (Current Employee)
    East Liberty, OH

ProsGood starter job
    Looks good on resume
    Most people are friendly
    There is nothing else remotely PRO about working for this company.

ConsWith each promotion your dollar/hour worked decreases.
    Promotions awarded based on amount of brown-nosing or who you know and even then they are few and far between.
    Performance review system is a joke. Ratings determined before reviews are given.
    Benefits have been cut to average and pay is below average.
    Complete idiots hold most of the mid to senior level management positions. Most of these people have no engineering or technical background.
    If you're good at a job, expect to stay in that job for the rest of your career.
    Absolutely NO work/home balance. If you plan to have a family STAY AWAY.
    600 hrs of OT a year. Work 75% of all weekends and holidays.
    All this and a 1% pay increase every year, what's inflation going for these days?

Advice to Senior ManagementAs if they would take the time to listen and act to advice? For example, professionally approached my department manager about pay increase. After I listened to him whine about how much he makes....... said he would talk to some people and get back with me. After 3 months, still waiting. Goodbye Honda.

Unlike any other place to work

Marysville, OH

ProsEach Honda year of experience is like 5 years at other companies. You will learn so much...

ConsToo many chiefs, not enough Indians!...

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice the Honda Philosophy that you make us learn.

Management is too sloppy for my tastes and encourages lazy employees. I can't believe this is Honda!

Honda Associate (Current Employee)

ProsDecent Pay
    Job experience
    Low pressure for quality
    Educating
    Some options to move around within plant

ConsTemps get worthless benefits
    No real future (temps don't get hired on and some been there for 5-10 years)
    Cannot take any day off unless you earned your call-off days
    Hard workers are used and not valued
    Almost no flexibility to live a real life
    Drained of life (overtime-six days aweek)
    Filthy air within plant
    NOT Multicultural (country, hillbilly) - Allows for people to buddy up and promoat friends
    To keep people that don't fit **above** they need to mix and be much more diverse
    Everything is breaking down (gotten to be daily now, they aren't upgrading the oldest Honda's American plant, while pouring hundreds of millions in all the others)

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your hard workers and please be professional. I am extremely shocked how bad it can be. Watching a coordinator hitting on women, and light touching. No woman should feel forced to take a man bs. I wish Honda woke up and devote themselves to build a great product. Lazy management tends to take advantage of every way they can and think of themselves first and their Pals!

Great place to learn and build a resume for your next job!

Unit Manager ( Senior Manager) (Former Employee)
    Marysville, OH

ProsStability and very good benefits!

ConsCompensation for results and not holding people accountable for poor performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork hard to keep the good people and let the weak ones go.

Good company overall. Needs a lot of work in the compensation and promotion strategy area

Greensburg, IN

ProsBenefits are very good. Job security never in question.

ConsCompensation, lack of flexibility, rotating shifts

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out your compensation and promotion strategies and keep associates in the loop

Awful, low morale, no reason to stay happy

Engineer Designer (Current Employee)
    Marysville, OH

Pros1.5 pay overtime for level 1 engineers and in some departments is pretty much unlimited how much overtime you can work
    peer engineers
    holiday shutdown in july and december

ConsNo flex time
    moving up and promotions are worthless, take the overtime away, and no pay increase
    If management doesnt like you, they sure let you know
    White jump suits

Worked for Honda of America Mfg.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Honda of America Mfg. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Honda of America Mfg. CEO Tomomi Kosaka. All 77 reviews posted anonymously by Honda of America Mfg. employees.