Honda of America Mfg. Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
97 reviews filtered by
3.2
Tomomi Kosaka

Pros
  • Overall the pay and benefits are good for the area that they employ from (in 8 reviews)

• Honda is a great company to work for they have great benefits and retirement also you make good pay with this company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad (in 4 reviews)

• Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor (in 4 reviews)

1. Quality Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern

Pros

I worked as an intern in one of the quality departments. I generally heard a mixed bag of responses from other interns. I witnessed the experiences of a few other interns. Although I can't entirely vouch for them, some did not receive a quality internship and were stuck behind a desk with very little guidance. However, my experience was very positive.

Mentor cared about personal development

Well-structured schedule for my time in the department

Autonomy and creativity encouraged

Management didn't act like helicopter parents

Encouraged wide variety of exposure to work

Mentor encouraged study of the company philosophies (this is a big one, these values can turn the company around)

Cons

No overtime allowed for interns. However, there were a couple days when I was forced to work overtime due to travel.

Pay is average for an intern, but could definitely be higher

Did a lot of the "dirty work" but that's to be expected for an internship

Advice to Management

Understand and respect the values established by Honda himself. Take time to read his writing's and understand his motivation. It has not been entirely lost as some others say.

2. The best years of my life given to Honda,and they could care less

Current Employee - Engineer in Anna, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Anna, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Line associates can make really good money with all the OT offered.
    Free uniforms
    Better than avg health care
    OK 401 plan
    Stable employment

Cons

Favoritism is the rule of law
    The level of stress and amount of responsibility has to be experienced to be believed
    The PPR process is dehumanizing.Ratings are decided well ahead of the actual performance review and you WILL be forced to give poor ratings to associates who deserve better because the bell curve must be met.
    Archaic work rules.I mean really,we are supposed to be excited that we can have a water bottle at our workstation?
    Performers are not rewarded but given the crumbs left over after the managers get their favorites placed in strategic positions that serve to support themselves
    Total lack of respect for injured associates,who are labeled frequent flyers or worse
    Concerted effort to pressure older associates to retire

Advice to Management

Have the common decency to lose the arrogance. It's ok to look me in the eye instead of looking at the floor when we pass each other in the hall. Learn how to be truthful at your own town meetings because it's very obvious that you aren't. Finally,replace the department managers who have abused their associates for so long(yes,you know exactly who they are).

3. Engineers treated without respect by the farm boys who have been here 30 years

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

They have an unbeatable benefits package. Great 401k package. Free health insurance. 10 percent off of powersports products. Workout facilities are about 20 bucks a year. You get to work on some high dollar projects depending on the department.

Cons

All managers are only in their positions because they have been there forever. The people who were good left and went onto better jobs. Everyone here is a good ol boy and you'll move up if you're their best friend or you are a yes man who doesn't think for themselves. People feel the engineers are know it alls. They don't trust you. They micro manage until your head explodes. The people at the top like to flex their power even if it makes no sense to do so.

Advice to Management

More pay. More creative freedom. Thin the herd and do the company a favor. Honda is not the company I expected it to be.

5. Long Stable Career

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Anna, OH
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Anna, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Stable employment, good benefits, decent pay

Cons

Old boys club for promotions, incredible bureaucracy, inflexibility of rules, too many office workers, too much mandatory overtime

Advice to Management

Hear ideas from people doing actual work.

6. Maintenance tech

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of equipment to learn on, training center

Cons

Some of the training is outdated

Advice to Management

Be leaders

Initially excited to join but simply disappointed to find that this is Honda

I worked at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

-Honda has become a career 'step-stool' that helps propel careers to the next level after working there between 2-5 years, especially among younger associates with college degrees

-The health benefits were good

-There is a new training building in place that will open opportunities for people with no degrees to find technical positions such as Maintenance (if you're allowed to go)

-If you intend to work in a Maintenance position, you'll be making significantly more money than most, if not all, college educated people but likely doing mundane work such as PMs

-If you're willing to trade job satisfaction for job stability simply to provide for your family and intend to keep your head down until retirement, then this company is for you

-Bonuses are great for line associates

Cons

-Logical decisions are not made

-A very reactive maintenance/manufacturing environment that waits for old equipment to fail rather than taking a proactive approach

-Too many clueless managers, supervisors and leaders that rose to the top because of "who" they know and not "what" they know

-Depending which plant and department, college educated people are not respected as professionals and constantly compared against what line-associates can or can't do - a double standard

-HR at certain plants has been caught doing unethical practices

-The PPR system is a complete joke. It equates to a 'bell-curve' reward system where set number of pre-determined ratings have been decided based on budgets way before you've completed that which you'll be rated on. The highest rating is like the "trip to italy" on the Wheel-of-Fortune, nobody goes to Italy.

-Although many upgrades has been put in place, there are still some areas , equipment, computers, software that are as old as the plants or significantly behind by decades in technology

-Morale is very low

-Below average wages for people with degrees

-Retirees, especially in technical roles, are leaving the company with an ever-expanding knowledge gap that has started to take a negative effect within production areas as their impact was under-estimated

Advice to Management

You are developing an environment that creates mediocracy. An environment where those who truly wish to excel and push the company forward are not rewarded while those who under-perform are not held accountable. An environment where those who truly care for the company are not allowed the opportunities to advance their careers so to set an example, but instead they leave to a better company and the only example left is from those individuals with no work ethic or professionalism. There are some incredibly smart and humble people waiting to be given the opportunity to shine, promote those who will move the company forward along with its people while keeping true to the most important belief within the Honda Way - "Respect the Individual"

8. Not a great company. Engineers beware

Current Employee - Chassis Quality Engineer in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Chassis Quality Engineer in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Overtime and extra days off.

Cons

Soul sucking work. When you turn 30 you will realize that you made a terrible mistake and you are now a Honda slave. Engineers are treated with contempt and used as general labor. If you are on the fence about the company like I was. Avoid it. I mad a terrible mistake and wasted a year of my life.

Advice to Management

Change your ways. HR has been know to use unethical practices

9. Anna Engine Plant, Anna Ohio

Former Employee - Associate in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clean and safe work environment. Bonus pay for Holidays, attendance, and suggestions for improving work place safety.

Cons

Temporary employees will get priority to go to first shift, which means bumping you off of first even if your there for 10 + years.

Advice to Management

All the employees make the assembly lines work, ensure that they ALL are treated as equals. One department is not more important than the others.

10. Engineer

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Great benefits, good hands on experience

Cons

Pay is not competitive, poor continuing education incentives.

Advice to Management

Introduce programs that are aimed at keeping young engineers

11. Started as temp, now full-time.

Current Employee - Full Time Associate in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Full Time Associate in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Excellent paying job, benefits, many opportunities for promotion. You just have to work and stay focused on your career goals.

Cons

Too many chiefs running around with no clue on what they're doing. Top out pay won't be reached for new hires until after 8 years. Too many temps on 1st shift so expect to be on 2nd shift for a long time.

Advice to Management

Trim down management and remeber who is actually making the profit for Honda. The line associates, not managers behind a desk.

Honda of America Mfg. Photos