Honda of America Mfg.

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.3

Tomomi Kosaka

Pros
  • Overall the pay and benefits are good for the area that they employ from (in 8 reviews)

• Honda is a great company to work for they have great benefits and retirement also you make good pay with this company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad (in 4 reviews)

• Hard workers are scorned by management because they may never have worked the floor (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Why does Honda even talk about communication? Recalls causing deaths.

Current Employee - Quality in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Quality in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The plant is in Marysville

Cons

I am taken by the lack of discipline Honda claims nobody has. I can hear cars and people spouting the mouth from where I live. The Airbag recalls were almost the same issue back in 2011. They knew, they had Airbags but it took somebody from their supplier to get them figured out. Honda has had IPAAR on these same issues, yet they stand around talking about who they think is freshly no abiding to the talk, drama, gossip, and nonsense that is going on around them. Over a million people already have defective cars. Next time somebody calls me for an investigation wanting to see documentation I am showing it to them. I and everybody else is tired of putting in hard work to get these issues taken care of, and Honda just comes of like they knew it all along, like it was a grand plan to let all those defective parts get out, and then take care of them, and tell others how freshly right they are. Get a life, and stop these problems the first time for God sake, it doesn't take the news to know that even if you have a supplier that you must account for every part that leaves your door.

I'm bringing my car to the plant next time it messes up. The Honda 3rd Reich is bringing down Americans now.

Ok cars horrible management

Former Employee - Paint Weld in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Paint Weld in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The chance for overtime is good, way too much at times.

Cons

Dumb management, inadequate equipment, teasing temp workers with quick in hire when the reality is that it takes years to remotely have a chance to be a employee.

Listen to people who work on the plant floor and actually see the day to day activities. Just because you want to get your buddies in doesn't mean it's right for business.

Stay Away

Current Employee - Assembly Associate
    Current Employee - Assembly Associate

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of good people working here. Work is fast paced and varied. In present economy there are not many better jobs.

Cons

1) Hiring off the street and ignoring long-term temps is a pathetic inexcusable practice.
    2) Plenty of worthless people working here too.
    3) Management is worse than stupid. Worse than stupid? Yes. They do it on purpose!

Maybe try a different profession?

As a temporary employee- Treated as trash

Current Employee - Temporary Associate
    Current Employee - Temporary Associate

Pros

Its a paying job that is better then working in a gas station. Most of the people are good hard working.

Cons

Being a temp. and watching Honda hire people off the street faster then giving the temporary employee's a chance.

Give the full-time the hard working men & women who work years in your factory more of an opportunity for employment. Those who think they will have a better shot at getting a job for Honda if they temp are mistaken...it hurts more then helps.

You're a Hondroid - which means you are disposable

Former Employee - Honda Associate in East Liberty, OH
    Former Employee - Honda Associate in East Liberty, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I started in 1997 the Japanese ran the company, the place ran like a well-oiled machine. It was always right man, right job. Benefits and pay were good.

Cons

Americans took over, now no one knows what they're doing, you get the job if you kiss booty, no loyalty to me as an exemplary employee. I had 15 years perfect attendance, was moved to different departments because I would encourage and "fix" the department, and constantly told what a good employee I was... until I tore my shoulder on-line. They threw me away like trash.

Quit paying the attorneys and Private Investigators to try and "catch" me doing something wrong... and use that money to fix my shoulder so I can get well and get back to work!

Run for your life!!

Current Employee - Production Associate in East Liberty, OH
    Current Employee - Production Associate in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to talk to your co-workers during the work day.

Cons

Monotonous, mind-numbing, work; low wages; no advancement; your life belongs to Honda - family, school, outside interests - say "Adios, Amigos!"; 6 day work weeks common (and after a while, time and a half is not very motivating); most of staff is contingency - don't even THINK of being hired on as a Honda associate, and that is the only way to earn a good wage here; benefits STINK! Don't even THINK about getting sick. Keep a close eye on your paycheck each week......

Who is running this circus?? The "new robots" we have can't be fixed, and you're getting more new ones?? I'll never see the end of a work day!!

26 Years For What??

Current Employee - Engineering Coordinator in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits (if your allowed to use them or not cheated out of them)
    Yearly Bonus
    Other than money there are no Pros.

Cons

Managers are more like prison wardens. "Respect for the individual" is no longer used except in the company's vision statement!

Currently the company is doing everything possible to eliminate those getting close to retirement!
    Seniority counts for nothing and experience is not considered. Job assignments and shift preference are not given out on time of service or experience; it’s not what you know it’s who you know.
    Promotions and favored positions are given only to the “Good Ole Boys” using the tight buddy system.

Evaluations are a joke, they are not used to improve performance or praise good performance; but used as a tool to cover managements short comings at your expense.

HR and CC are of no use to anyone. The open door policy, means if you don’t like it; there is the front door, don’t let it hit you on the way out.

In-house product quality is poor due to inconsistency of training, fatigued workers and outdated/poorly maintenanced equipment.

Honda is a good name to have on your resume but don’t waste your life here. The Honda family as it was once known, no longer exist, you will pay with your mind and body if not your life.

Get off your ass "Go to the Spot", share in the associates "3 Joys"!

Quit shooting down your people just because they know more than you! Take the time to walk in their shoes if only for a few minutes!

Jumping in and helping a line associate will go a long way in improving your image!

This is the worst management I've ever seen in my entire career at Honda! Rude, obnoxious, with a holier than thou attitude.

Good for a couple years

Current Employee - Engineering Coordinator in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Good starter job
    Looks good on resume
    Most people are friendly
    There is nothing else remotely PRO about working for this company.

Cons

With each promotion your dollar/hour worked decreases.
    Promotions awarded based on amount of brown-nosing or who you know and even then they are few and far between.
    Performance review system is a joke. Ratings determined before reviews are given.
    Benefits have been cut to average and pay is below average.
    Complete idiots hold most of the mid to senior level management positions. Most of these people have no engineering or technical background.
    If you're good at a job, expect to stay in that job for the rest of your career.
    Absolutely NO work/home balance. If you plan to have a family STAY AWAY.
    600 hrs of OT a year. Work 75% of all weekends and holidays.
    All this and a 1% pay increase every year, what's inflation going for these days?

As if they would take the time to listen and act to advice? For example, professionally approached my department manager about pay increase. After I listened to him whine about how much he makes....... said he would talk to some people and get back with me. After 3 months, still waiting. Goodbye Honda.

Hard work will get you no where here.

Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in Greensburg, IN

I worked at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Vacation, Holidays off, Pay, Medical Benefits, Sometimes you get a bonus but It doesn't amount to what the Ohio plants get.

Cons

I started working for Honda Manufacturing of Indiana when it first opened its doors. I worked there for 3.5 years and had enough. I was a regular production worker in quality with a 4 year degree. I thought since there was only a limited people in my department that had a college degree, my chances of advancing were good. I was wrong. The manager of the department valued ass kissers over hard workers. Then when 2nd shift came around they started promoting the slow lazy employees to get them off the line. I never had any feedback about my performance with Honda. They don't respect hard working employees or recognize it. They also have a open door policy that doesn't exist. Ive seen many employees go to management with problems then later terminated.

Respect and recognize your hard working employees. I cant speak for other departments management, but this department got a bad manager handed down from Ohio that would not go away.

Anyone looking for a real career should stay away from this company.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

There have been no layoffs at any Honda company.

Cons

This is a very difficult place to work. American management has no responsibility other than to please their counterpart Japanese?management and Japanese senior management. Responsibility and fairness to U.S. staff is nonexistent. Despite the "Respect for?the Individual" mantra, true respect for U.S workers is absent. When company policy is changed/updated, Human Resource management fabricate reasons as to why. All American salary workers(associates) with the exception of management must now "clock in" and "clock out". The reason for this policy update given by the HR manager was a 2007 change in the federal wage and hour reporting. This change?did take place, but with hourly workers only and not salary workers. No Japanese (national) staff member is required to record their work hours. This is just one of the many imbalances that exist between the U.S. staff and their Japanese co-workers.

The Japanese treatment of U.S. staff is demeaning. There is absolutely no trust or respect for the U.S. associates who work there.

The performance reviews are a joke. I will allow someone else from the company to elaborate on this subject.

Save the money spent every two years on company surveys. The information that is obtained from these surveys, though neatly?collated, is never addressed.

Honda of America Mfg. Photos