Honda of America Mfg. Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Tomomi Kosaka

Pros
  • Honda is a great company to work for they have great benefits and retirement also you make good pay with this company (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, Good benefits, good people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Even some of the other comments here seem to confirm that the Work-Life balance is pretty bad (in 4 reviews)

• Higher level Promotions are done by the buddy system, not performance (in 3 reviews)

1. Stepping Stone. Not a Good Long Term Choice.

Former Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Stable job.
    - Great 401K
    - Pays great for entry level

If you are looking for stability you found it, but you won't find much else.

Cons

- Terrible work life balance
    - Weak management system.
    - Top heavy for no reason
    - Flat compensation for everyone.
    - Company values are hardly observed.
    - All reactive activity. Very little proactive activity.
    - Work becomes mundane quickly.
    - Drama, Drama, Drama. More drama than days of our lives.......

Advice to Management

Go to the spot and actually see what is happening..... Understand the processes and the people. Consider giving rewards to those who perform. Focus on training. Training that will help people think and make good decisions. Learn to actually convey your values daily.....

2. Good if you stick around for the long run

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay is good for the responsibility level and Columbus area.

Cons

Flat corporate structure. Some promoted based on length of service instead of on merit, but this is changing for the better. Performance review is sort of a joke. Ratings are determined before review is submitted. Your rating is based more on what fits you into the budget than your actual performance.

Advice to Management

Management direction seems to constantly change, pick a strategy and stay with it long enough to implement.

3. Engineering Staff

Former Employee - Engineering Staff in East Liberty, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Staff in East Liberty, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits (401k, health insurance, profit sharing bonus), opportunities for great work experience to start your career. People that work that are intelligent and fun to work with.

Cons

Have to work a 2nd shift every couples months. The work schedule is fairly inflexible and you sometimes have to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Overall management did a very good job. There needs to be a better solution for work flexibility for Engineers.

5. too much inconsistency

Current Employee - Industrial Machine Maintenance Technician in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Industrial Machine Maintenance Technician in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for the positions involved in maintenance, benefits are good

Cons

No department policies yet constantly attempting to quote them, not to mention changing them to meet the needs of whatever they feel that day.

Advice to Management

grow up

Procurement

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Excellent sense of community, good culture, and nice office. There is a sense of working towards the same goal and all within the three mottos of honda: joy, respect and innovation.

Cons

The community is lacking in an work ethic. Everyone does the minimum to get by. The systems used by Honda are really aged and lack in efficiency, but the office makes them to be the latest. Everyone complains about their job and acknowledges there is a retention problem.

Advice to Management

Work to inspire the workforce and continue to innovate through the use of new technology. Make the place an environment that attracts younger crowds that push business to be more efficient

Unprofessional work environment

Former Employee - Purchasing in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits, fitness center, credit union and a clean work environment for manufacturing

Cons

This is a very unprofessional environment to work in. Training is nonexistent. The employees that have been around for years are will not be willing to mentor or train you. Their thought process is that “it took me 8 years to learn my job, why should I teach it to you.” Although this company is supposed to be a flat organization, the only aspect of being flat is that everyone wears the same white uniform. People are put in management positions based on either who they know or the number of years they have worked for the company. Lack of leadership skills is evident throughout the organization, in addition to the lack of respect for others. If you are looking for work/life balance, this is not the company that will provide it.

Advice to Management

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

8. The longer you stay, the better the benefits.

Current Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits
    Honda will provide 150-400% 401k match depending on longevity
    Large bonus
    Everyone wears uniforms

Cons

Flat company
    Lower starting salary
    Hard to leave after 10 years due to 401k match

Advice to Management

Management is good in my experience.

9. Honda should follow their own words.

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

The plant is in Marysville. The country is nice

Cons

Ever since I have known of Honda manufacturing, its been filled with mediocre skill sets and men who cant wait to say they dawned the uniform. Any uniform you wear is a good one, even the uniform of truth can save you alot of headache down the road.

Ever since I was young and two guys were drunk and crashed their Goldwings in uniform down the road and tried to enter my mothers home because they were upset, I haven't had any respect for that uniform or people that burst up in your life trying to run everything. As a matter of fact through life it has caused the greatest amount of pain because of hyped up, half realized thoughts they cant bring to life.

I can tell you why 90% of College students don't stay at Honda. Because Honda was introduced to them in a harsh way from past experiences and all they want is to find an answer to how Honda acts and does business. One day that younger kid is going to sit down at your desk and that younger female is going to look better than you and REPLACE YOU.

The only reason Honda acts as if they know everybody is because every department over at Honda is fighting to survive and that makes people half crazy. I know because I have dawned the uniform.

The recalls and stuff happening are because of Honda lack of attention to detail that they scorn every other worker out here for having and lack of experience for understanding all the headache Honda has come up with itself and expects everybody to understand.

The company is like any other company except for at Honda they believe they work harder and all they are doing is biding their time. Oh good, you manipulated people into believing that your company is an oasis and with the Recalls people know the truth, people know the truth with the bad attitudes.

Advice to Management

Keep replacing yourselves with a better you......LOL

All Of Honda is deceptive,Glamourish and Childish

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

The plant is in Marysville Ohio, people must have been good hearted to let them build there

Cons

My experience with Honda has been work that is never done. Most of the people that I have known from Honda either have one of two attitudes. One is they believe they were put here to be leaders of people that don't want them around and....Two: They don't know when to quit. Their whole philosophy is up to the minute discipline, yet I don't believe they are happy. There is more to life than lawnmowers and boats and feeling tense every day of your life because Honda argues with itself and when people are having normal lives out here, Honda cannot understand what one sacrifices to even be considered there.

There are companies in Ohio that do business just as much as Honda and they have a system that builds up employees to their dreams. Honda just decides that it is every ones dreams when it is apparent they mis-conscrew how others live and what they respect.
    I have had nothing but bad, short tempered, over control that misleads good people. Every-time you ask a question, a Honda associate or Manager fires off a low tone voice as if God is making his way to that very spot.

I am very disappointed at some of the females at Honda. It seems that their job is more mental than reality. The way they get mad, the way their perfect little uniforms match and they walk lets everybody know the paperwork probably wasn't done. They also have a false sence of experience that does not allow them to see the time and money people have invested in their experience as well.

As we can see from recalls...Honda believes that everybody will buy into their false sense of reality and therefore become dumb to the fact that they simply will not build up meaningful lives.

Someone has a bachelors degree? It has been proved that Honda employees and lays off the largest pool of employees in Ohio with College educations, so why bring yourself down?

Advice to Management

Management just fired its own Manager of the company, what else do we need to know?

The best years of my life given to Honda,and they could care less

Current Employee - Engineer in Anna, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Anna, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg.

Pros

Line associates can make really good money with all the OT offered.
    Free uniforms
    Better than avg health care
    OK 401 plan
    Stable employment

Cons

Favoritism is the rule of law
    The level of stress and amount of responsibility has to be experienced to be believed
    The PPR process is dehumanizing.Ratings are decided well ahead of the actual performance review and you WILL be forced to give poor ratings to associates who deserve better because the bell curve must be met.
    Archaic work rules.I mean really,we are supposed to be excited that we can have a water bottle at our workstation?
    Performers are not rewarded but given the crumbs left over after the managers get their favorites placed in strategic positions that serve to support themselves
    Total lack of respect for injured associates,who are labeled frequent flyers or worse
    Concerted effort to pressure older associates to retire

Advice to Management

Have the common decency to lose the arrogance. It's ok to look me in the eye instead of looking at the floor when we pass each other in the hall. Learn how to be truthful at your own town meetings because it's very obvious that you aren't. Finally,replace the department managers who have abused their associates for so long(yes,you know exactly who they are).

RSS Feed </> Embed